• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

JusDoIt

Ucchedavāda;239549709 said:
Would a DS release not just cannibalize Capcom's other fighting games (SFV and MvC:I)? They clearly intend to make a lot of money over the lifetime of those games by selling DLC, and adding yet another fighting game to their lineup would likely mean a worse return on investment on SFV and MvC:I. The development cost for a DS game could instead be invested in franchises that do not compete with their other products, for a better ROI.

A new DS would have had a chance if Darkstalkers Resurrection did well, but it flopped and that basically signaled to Capcom (right or wrong) that the audience ain't there for it.

They should just put DS and Rival School characters in SFV and MvCI instead. Sequels to either game would TANK outside of arcades in japan. I've been begging ono on Twitter for ages.

Good news for you, DP change is the same for Necaili since he's always been like that. And they didn't give Alex enough. They never do lol

No, his H Dp was invincible Season 1. I heard they made one of his dashes safe... or safer though. Got to go in the lab on that.
Alex can't catch a damn break lol.

DKL

Think this is why you need to play against as many people possible in ranked.

Did a Paul mirror... didn't even know he had an armor move :v

(now to figure out which one it is)

EDIT:

Shit wrong thread :v

That said, yes, everyone comes back to SF...

I'm almost there!

I wonder if they will approach Capcom again with Darkstalkers. Wasnt SG very successful?
They definitely have a much better recognition now.
Skullgirls did better than an all girl fighting game could ever hope to do. It also did better than an indie fighting game that got it's knees hit with a hammer at the starting line could ever hope to do. It also did better at crowdfunding than any fighting game ever. Reverge also literally imploded at the launch of the game thanks to Konami and Autumn games related stuff going on in the background. I don't think any other modern fighting game franchise would have survived half the disasters skullgirls did and it wasn't thanks to the IP so much as it was thanks to the developers working on the game day and night for little or no pay.

Shit was tough
DS would have to be successful in the first place. That game was niche for a reason.
A Lab Zero Darkstalkers on Xbox, Playstation and Steam with a proper DLC flow would absolutely kill even today. Lab Zero's budget would probably be a fraction the size of Capcom's and Darkstalkers is a cult classic that would market itself. As a Capcom release, though? Game would flounder between Capcom's random decisions, the bigger focus on tournaments, the higher sales expectations and the disconnect between fans and developers. An IP like Darkstalkers coming back would require a pretty large amount of cooperation on the part of fans AND developers/publishers to not screw it up big time.

Why not just completely reboot DS and effectively market it as a new IP? That worked pretty well for KI.

When Capcom is financially able to make any new IP, nonetheless a new fighter, of course.

kirblar

Why not just completely reboot DS and effectively market it as a new IP? That worked pretty well for KI.

When Capcom is financially able to make any new IP, nonetheless a new fighter, of course.
There's really just not room for it.

If the rumor's right about the themed "VS" packs, getting a bunch of reps in MvC:I is about the best they can do (And Vs series is effectively the modern "Anime" niche for Capcom anyway.)

A Lab Zero Darkstalkers on Xbox, Playstation and Steam with a proper DLC flow would absolutely kill even today. Lab Zero's budget would probably be a fraction the size of Capcom's and Darkstalkers is a cult classic that would market itself. As a Capcom release, though? Game would flounder between Capcom's random decisions, the bigger focus on tournaments, the higher sales expectations and the disconnect between fans and developers. An IP like Darkstalkers coming back would require a pretty large amount of cooperation on the part of fans AND developers/publishers to not screw it up big time.

Nothing that LZ has done makes me think they could do DS justice on the gameplay front. And that's not a diss - like , DS is fucking real intricate. And again, it wouldn't market itself. It's not even a cult classic. It's a game that Japan likes and the rest of the world knows about but doesn't really give a shit about. DS is far too technical to sell to a mass audience.

Rebooting the game is kind of an issue. See, with KI, that game wasn't expansively deep and therefore they just had to improve upon the original games. DS is different. DS is pretty ridiculous. So rebooting it would mean things would have to change, as the populous at large isn't going to touch that game at all. And if Capcom did dumb it down, the ire from people who've played it and people who just heard about it would sink the game.

Either DS comes out dumbed down, or DS comes out and tanks.

kirblar

Meh at more shoto-likes. Makoto so perfectly fits into SFV's systems and the game is lesser for every season that goes by without her.
She does, which is why I'll be shocked if we never see her in the game, but it makes sense that she'd be further down the list than Sakura/Viper/Ed's new girl.

Village

Just to bounce of kirblar, yeah.

Killer instinct , MK, and on a lower scale Skullgirls ( which I feel suffers from different design issues ) , kind of already occupy the " monster mash " fighting game spot , and they all do that while being visually cohesive. Its nothing visually , as dark stalkers is I feel offers anything appealing, cohesive and different enough to warrant update. So then you go, ok ok, well reboot it use the name, but at that point, is it dark stalkers?

For those who play Killerinsinct and see what that game has done with revitalizing a thing. It might be a good, thing, I think it would be a good thing.

I feel the same way about DS that I do about RS witch is " you can want it if you want, but if you get it it might not look like how you want it to look" DS might end up looking a hell of a lot more like DMC and RS might end up looking a hell of alot more like modern anime and persona.

Then there is the greater issue is, if we have to do all that is it even worth rebooting in this crowded space , and I can't answer that.

Neoxon

So you think they'll announce just Abigail at E3 or will they have more?
If SSFV is real, I wouldn't expect any news on the update until after MvCI drops.

As for E3, I do think we'll get an Abigail reveal. Maybe we'll also get a look at the 2nd Cinematic Story if X-Kira wasn't yanking our chain (unless that's being saved for the rumored Super update).

kirblar

If SSFV is real, I wouldn't expect any news on the update until after MvCI drops.

As for E3, I do think we'll get an Abigail reveal. Maybe we'll also get a look at the 2nd Cinematic Story if X-Kira wasn't yanking our chain (unless that's being saved for the rumored Super update).
Story II would def be held for a Super update. (Makes me think the grand plan may be for 2 updates, ending w/ a final bridge to SF3's start w/ an eventual USFV story mode.)

I'd love an "xT" season w/ Tekken characters at the end, but I'm proooobably on a lonely island on that one.

Nothing that LZ has done makes me think they could do DS justice on the gameplay front. And that's not a diss - like , DS is fucking real intricate. And again, it wouldn't market itself. It's not even a cult classic. It's a game that Japan likes and the rest of the world knows about but doesn't really give a shit about. DS is far too technical to sell to a mass audience.

Rebooting the game is kind of an issue. See, with KI, that game wasn't expansively deep and therefore they just had to improve upon the original games. DS is different. DS is pretty ridiculous. So rebooting it would mean things would have to change, as the populous at large isn't going to touch that game at all. And if Capcom did dumb it down, the ire from people who've played it and people who just heard about it would sink the game.

Either DS comes out dumbed down, or DS comes out and tanks.
I think there is some stuff about Darkstalkers that could be changed for the better and how the roster is tackled alone could be very interesting. On the gameplay front there is plenty of room for more intricate dark force mechanics, meterless GCs would probably have to be changed up big time and piano pushblocking would probably go. On the roster front there is plenty of opportunity for new monster designs (swamp thing rival for Rikuo, ghost characters, Ruby Heart, Dullahan, etc.) and people have always wanted to see the cast unified as well. I don't think what I listed would justify a full SFV-like project, though. A cheaper endeavor by a good 2D dev like Lab Zero has plenty of potential and at worst would break even.

We're never going to get Amingo in Darkstalkers 4, are we?

trixx

Played 10 matches only one once. Fun though

Damn its like everything I practiced goes out the window when I play online. Can't even do the low medium into hadoken/tatsu

I'm relying entirely on target combos, trying to anti air.

Zangief was a nightmare felt paralyzed against his lariat. Just tried to block/punish with heavy kick or whatever

Damn

Pompadour

Probably.

I hope they announce the next three tho. Just update the silhouettes to not be silhouettes. Don't show us anything else but the designs.

If they reveal Abigail that effectively confirms the leaks as he wasn't in the story mode whatsoever (unlike Kolin and Ed). If that's the case the S2 cast isn't a secret so they could show a glimpse of Menat and Zeku a la the Balrog trailer with Juri and Urien.

Blueblur1

Played 10 matches only one once. Fun though

Damn its like everything I practiced goes out the window when I play online. Can't even do the low medium into hadoken/tatsu

I'm relying entirely on target combos, trying to anti air.

Zangief was a nightmare felt paralyzed against his lariat. Just tried to block/punish with heavy kick or whatever

Damn

I'll tell you what my friends would tell me: Don't worry about winning. Focus only on what you're trying to improve on. If that's anti-airing then commit yourself to anti-airing during all the matches you play that day.

JusDoIt

I wasn't excited for Abigail until it was pointed out that he's 8 feet tall. He should be the biggest character out the whole series, so now I'm hype to see how that turns out.

mbpm1

I beat his Trigger is going to be something like that. 3/4 screen limbs, half screen command grabs, let's goo.

make his sweep lead into damaging juggles

make his overhead also lead into a juggle

also he should be able to block non-low attacks while backdashing

wait wrong game

Pompadour

I wasn't excited for Abigail until it was pointed out that he's 8 feet tall. He should be the biggest character out the whole series, so now I'm hype to see how that turns out.

He's only two inches taller than Hugo so I don't know if he'll be dramatically bigger (and Hugo's head already obscured the health bar).

If there really is another iteration of SFV, I really hope they go with a prefix other than "Super." Super is trite and overdone imo; I'd much prefer something like "Hyper Street Fighter V" or a SFIII-style naming scheme (i.e. "Street Fighter V: 2nd Coming"). Even if it sounded silly it'd at least be a breath of fresh air.

JusDoIt

If there really is another iteration of SFV, I really hope they go with a prefix other than "Super." Super is trite and overdone imo; I'd much prefer something like "Hyper Street Fighter V" or a SFIII-style naming scheme (i.e. "Street Fighter V: 2nd Coming"). Even if it sounded silly it'd at least be a breath of fresh air.

I agree. Just give it a subtitle like "Champion Edition" or "Warrior's Dreams" or "Second Impact."

Edit:

"30th Anniversary Edition" would be perfect.

Top Bottom