• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

MrCarter

It's been a year and a half, and Street Fighter V's Fighter Select Theme is still one of the most hype-inducing things I've ever heard in a video game.

I wanna hear more original compositions for future releases. I feel like this team's audio squad is being hampered by being forced into doing so many remixes of old tunes. Each of the launch stages has some god-tier compositions that really encapsulate SF's feel.

You will like this then. It's rumoured to be the theme to the new CPT stage releasing soon. SFV has such an awesome soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/TtZHMagPPM8

ElFly

You want his poison to eat permanent damage then? would it really make a difference?

Or would you want it to tick down faster? I could see an EX poison that would erode faster maybe but not sure what other changes you would make that wouldn't completely imbalance him.

it def needs to tick down faster, or maybe accelerate after a -little- while

You will like this then. It's rumoured to be the theme to the new CPT stage releasing soon. SFV has such an awesome soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/TtZHMagPPM8
QONVIyz.gif

FANGs poison should either do more damage or increase his normal damage output.

They should give him two types of poisons that he can switch between. Slow burning poison that can be moderately damaging if you cant reach him aka zoner/keepaway.
Or a quicker acting poison that increases his normal attacks for however long it is active aka rushdown/offensive.

They should give him two types of poisons that he can switch between. Slow burning poison that can be moderately damaging if you cant reach him aka zoner/keepaway.
Or a quicker acting poison that increases his normal attacks for however long it is active aka rushdown/offensive.
That's way too complex for the likes of SFV.

Pompadour

You want his poison to eat permanent damage then? would it really make a difference?

Or would you want it to tick down faster? I could see an EX poison that would erode faster maybe but not sure what other changes you would make that wouldn't completely imbalance him.

I don't play FANG but it definitely feels like it should do permanent damage AND immediately eliminate grey health upon poison state as if they got hit. No one is afraid of the unblockable gas cloud but if it suddenly destroys all your regenerating health they'd try and avoid it.

I thought of multiple poisons too but Capcom won't do it. I feel like they're going to run out of ideas for V-Triggers eventually so giving one character multiple unique mechanics won't happen. That's why multiple VTs won't happen unless characters share some of them a la Dark Forces in Darkstalkers.

I'm still completely stumped on Chun's Trial 8 Vol. 2. Seems like no matter how early I hit down after the animation for sMP comes out, I just can't get enough charge for the SBK. It's literally the last trialI need to get done and it's driving me bonkers.

I'm still completely stumped on Chun's Trial 8 Vol. 2. Seems like no matter how early I hit down after the animation for sMP comes out, I just can't get enough charge for the SBK. It's literally the last trialI need to get done and it's driving me bonkers.

You need to start charging the moment you press stMP, don't wait for any visual response, and then delay the cancel slightly.

Ucchedavāda;239665749 said:
You need to start charging the moment you press stMP, don't wait for any visual response, and then delay the cancel slightly.

I'm cheesing it by pausing the game and holding down as soon as I press MP yet SBK still doesn't come out. I'm at the end of my rope here.

I'm cheesing it by pausing the game and holding down as soon as I press MP yet SBK still doesn't come out. I'm at the end of my rope here.

That honestly seems like it would make it harder than just doing it the proper way.
It took me a bit of practice to get a hang of, when I played Chun-Li, but it is really just a matter of pressing MP, immediately pressing down, then MK, a sliiiight pause, and then up + LK.

Ucchedavāda;239666949 said:
That honestly seems like it would make it harder than just doing it the proper way.
It took me a bit of practice to get a hang of, when I played Chun-Li, but it is really just a matter of pressing MP, immediately pressing down, then MK, a sliiiight pause, and then up + LK.

I finally got it just now. The power of complaining on the internet prevails once again!

Still, this gave me a wakeup call regarding how dreadful my execution is with charge characters. I definitely need to work on it just in case a charge character really clicks with me later.

That's way too complex for the likes of SFV.

I thought of multiple poisons too but Capcom won't do it. I feel like they're going to run out of ideas for V-Triggers eventually so giving one character multiple unique mechanics won't happen. That's why multiple VTs won't happen unless characters share some of them a la Dark Forces in Darkstalkers.

Then you keep it simple by changing it to v-trigger only. I mean I feel the idea behind his v-trigger currently is too give him some offensive pressure. Just tweak it.

Watch the demo for the trial and note where the cancel into SBK is after the cr.MK; Seeing the animation helps on the timing. Edit: Lol nvm

Pompadour

I think multiple V triggers and Multiple supers are happening.

I'd much prefer if whatever new stuff they give the characters it was loaded onto their current toolset as opposed making multiple versions of everyone. People complain about some characters lacking options or some characters being forced down into a playstyle. More moves could rectify that.

I'll reiterate what I've said before because I'm at work for another 30 minutes:

1. Multiple CAs is an issue because current CAs do everything well. Easy as shit to combo into, high damage, and fully invincible describes like 90% of them. Ultras in SF4 worked well because some would act as anti-airs or throws which forced the opponent to play differently when you had Ultra.

The solution would be to tone down the current CAs and/or revamp the meter system to be different sizes/multi stock like 3S.

2. Multiple​ V-Triggers runs into the issue of not enough unique mechanics to spread around. By the end of S3 that would be 68 VTs that, by design, should feel very different from one another.

I'd prefer if VTs were just made better and do multiple things. Every VT would be a power up while also doing something unique by pressing HP+HK again like how Urien has to do to summon another Aegis. If a specific VT move is really strong doing it once burns through the meter.

Barely lost a tight set 2-1 vs. a pretty good Alex (I was playing my Week 2 Ed). Lo and behold, I get my first salt message in months! I was kinda trying to troll him back but I think I made him feel bad about getting upset, haha.

uvmUkPy.jpg

JusDoIt

It should probably do both. Keep his poison damage as is, slow and steady, but also make it buff the damage of his normals.

Then we get to kick back and watch Xian win everything.

HardRojo

Barely lost a tight set 2-1 vs. a pretty good Alex (I was playing my Week 2 Ed). Lo and behold, I get my first salt message in months! I was kinda trying to troll him back but I think I made him feel bad about getting upset, haha.

uvmUkPy.jpg
Being the bigger person works a lot better with most people I think lol, they feel bad about blowing off.

Shadoken

CAs are such a boring addition though , And also requires more animation and work. Its usually just some hit -> Super. Maybe few characters will now have some Anti-FB supers ( Not like Fireballs were great anyway ). Or someone like Birdie will get a new command grab super. Gief will get his stupid Air SPD Super , coz why the hell not.

Adding new VTs or V skills can drastically help characters , since so many V skills are so uninspired.

Csr

CAs are such a boring addition though , And also requires more animation and work. Its usually just some hit -> Super. Maybe few characters will now have some Anti-FB supers ( Not like Fireballs were great anyway ). Or someone like Birdie will get a new command grab super.

Adding new VTs or V skills can drastically help characters , since so many V skills are so uninspired.

Nash could use some more vskill and vtrigger options, vtrigger now is a one time combo extension and vskill is useless against non fireball characters. I wouldn't mind an option for a vreversal that hits either.

Shadoken

Nash could use some more vskill and vtrigger options, vtrigger now is a one time combo extension and vskill is useless against non fireball characters. I wouldn't mind an option for a vreversal that hits either.

Yea lol. His V-system setup is pretty bad. V trigger does nothing that other V triggers dont already do ( I guess its a good FB punish , but again most VTs do that too ). V skill is neat but garbo outside of FB matchups. Should have at least been a decent poke or something.

V reversal is prolly tied for worst in the game , most other escape-type V-reversals go the same distance but recover much faster. When they nerfed the distance , they should have reduced the recovery. Even someone like fang recovers 12f faster ( the blasphemy )

the problem with multiple CAs is there's always gonna be one that's better than the other, lmao. look at SSF4. Not much variety in use unless I guess there's a anti-fireball one and you're fighting a plasma chucker. and then there was that weird option to have access to both at once, lol

Shadoken

Yea at least with V system it changes your entire repertoire. Your char might have a godlk VSkill2 but VT2 and VRev2 might be kinda ass. So you gotta choose based on your style and matchup.
Some people might be willing to give up their 3 bar V Trigger if they want to play more aggressive with a 2bar VT.

FluxWaveZ

Mika has a great V-Reversal. Not one of the best as it was before, but it still gives her a good amount of space on block. Her V-Trigger is also really good, but also relatively situational and easy to waste.

Her V-Skill is still trash, however. Fuudo makes it look better than it is, with his opponents freezing for some reason when he does it (he also knows the right time to throw them off). An actually functional V-Skill could do a lot for the character.

Shadoken

Fuk a new V-Skill setup for each char would shake up the game soo much. Its a million times better than adding a new CA. But given how fkin spectator focussed Capcom is , why would they care about making the game more enjoyable to players. Just add a new CA so casual viewers can be amazed by the Super animation :/

The v-skills/triggers aren't uninspired by what they are. It's just like you don't use them enough. Many of them feel so situational that I feel like a character's gameplan should be worked around them in full. Birdie gets to play with his shit mostly, but Mika doesn't.

Fuk a new V-Skill setup for each char would shake up the game soo much. Its a million times better than adding a new CA. But given how fkin spectator focussed Capcom is , why would they care about making the game more enjoyable to players. Just add a new CA so casual viewers can be amazed by the Super animation :/

Those new moves and buffs characters got really isn't for the enjoyment of the viewers. And considering S2 at least pushed better buffs on v-skills and v-generation, I still think they are edging towards making them important pieces of their gameplan.

MCD250

I sometimes complain about Cammy's V-Skill being mostly useless, even though it's probably the best version of that move that's ever appeared in any of the games. I wish they'd given her a V-Skill that was fully new, though truthfully it's kinda hard to think of something that would compliment her moveset effectively as her moveset already feels very "complete" (at least for the purposes of this game and its design).

Balrog probably has the best "avoid fireball and punish" V-Skill in the game.

Shadoken

It will be hard giving Cammy a really good V skill because her whole Tool kit is so complete.
She has good neutral,good pressure and a 3f jab,DP and good AAs for defense. giving her a good V skill might make one of those areas a bit too strong.

I think her only weakness is with how one-dimensional she is , her moves and gameplan become too predictable. So maybe a high risk/high reward V skill that could shake things up a bit might be good for her.

Balrog probably has the best "avoid fireball and punish" V-Skill in the game.

Juri's V-skill is also pretty great, with the caveat that you have to charge it first.
However, once you do that you can shut down your opponents fireball game pretty handily and punish a number of actions done at full screen.

myco666

Ucchedavāda;239683965 said:
Juri's V-skill is also pretty great, with the caveat that you have to charge it first.
However, once you do that you can shut down your opponents fireball game pretty handily and punish a number of actions done at full screen.

Can't handle that banana though.

vulva

It's been a year and a half, and Street Fighter V's Fighter Select Theme is still one of the most hype-inducing things I've ever heard in a video game.

I wanna hear more original compositions for future releases. I feel like this team's audio squad is being hampered by being forced into doing so many remixes of old tunes. Each of the launch stages has some god-tier compositions that really encapsulate SF's feel.

nothing compared to the true king though (before anyone tries to act like 3s has anything good, it's not that one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-bCVputzA

MCD250

Yeah, not too big on the character select screen theme.

I do lik the main menu music though, and I really liked the remixes they did for Ring of Destiny. I actually changed my main menu music to that recently.

joe2187

Banned
Mika has a great V-Reversal. Not one of the best as it was before, but it still gives her a good amount of space on block. Her V-Trigger is also really good, but also relatively situational and easy to waste.

Her V-Skill is still trash, however. Fuudo makes it look better than it is, with his opponents freezing for some reason when he does it (he also knows the right time to throw them off). An actually functional V-Skill could do a lot for the character.

New v skill for mika gives her back the original passion press from launch.

Mikappa

All I want is decapre, and extra battle.
Y'all can have a super update, new UI, new themes, arcade mode and trash like sakura and sagat, as long as decapre is returned to me.

Village

I'm not too into SFV's character select theme.

I modded it away, but I do enjoy it.

Its super strange that why I like it. Someone went " what should we make our character select theme" and their response was " early 00's late 90's angst rock" and they made it, and it fits.

I like it, when like a weird song gets put into something and it fits. Its why "fight with the wind " will always be my favorite CVS2 track over everything, its this weird early 00's rnb hip hop sound that plays really well as a slow methodical soundtrack for fighting.

nothing compared to the true king though (before anyone tries to act like 3s has anything good, it's not that one) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-bCVputzA

3rd strike has a bunch of good things
Like the best chun li theme

CAPCOM BRING CHINA VOX BACK

MrCarter

Yeah, not too big on the character select screen theme.

I do lik the main menu music though, and I really liked the remixes they did for Ring of Destiny. I actually changed my main menu music to that recently.

SFV definitely has some of the best themes in the series, I like that it's so varied and unique not only to each character but stages too.

Shadoken

One thing I miss is a hype announcer going "Choose Your fighter" like in the old games. Always felt like it added to the theme.

SFV Char select theme is great , but its kinda long. And doesn't get to the awesome part really quick. And since you spend so little time in char select , it should be something that gets to it quick.

Blueblur1

I really wish Capcom would just improve the existing V-Skills and V-Reversals. For some characters they're amazing and for others - like you guys said above - they're situational and limited. I wish they were more even in terms of usefulness across the entire cast.

Top Bottom