• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Alchemist

I bought the CPT bundle because it's spend $100 get $15 back on PSN time.

So what extra missions do we get in it for extra fight money?

I really wanna use them on stages and colours.

Win 40 ranked matches and 50 critical art finishes are the current ones until July 1st.

How much fight money are those?

400b6948e0a34cb127df54e40989a1f0.png

Grakl

Infiltration thinks everything about Ed is good except for his neutral.

Sounds like the perfect character for SFV

Not even gonna lie, I miss FADC. A mechanic that actually grew along with the player. This game, and it's top characters, are way too easy to execute with. I have mediocre execution, and HORRIBLE hit confirming, and I can manage both with a few of the top characters. I'm also terrible at playing more than one character at a time, so that makes things even worse when I can do it.

SFV is such a great game, and I'll love and support it until SFVI, but it really is slacking in the execution and output department. I hate this whole "everyone can do it now" shit. It just makes things less significant.

Am I just losing my mind?

While I wish some things were a slight bit harder, execution is whatever. People drop shit even when execution in this game is piss easy. Even pros do it all the time. Just because you can do something in training mode doesn't mean you'll be able to replicate it in a match, and because of SFV being so explosive and ridiculous, that shit goes right out the window. I've met a bunch of Rog players who really don't have to do much drop fucking rekkas.

Kashiwaba

Is it weird that I'm feeling SFV netcode is actually better than Tekken 7? I played the same 3 guys one in West coast, one in the middle East and one is 3ish Km away from me in both games for the middle East one SFV was better, for the West coast it was give a or take but i would say Tekken 7 had more consistent performance (experienced some lag in some of the rounds) and for my friend who lives 10 minutes away both of them were flawless.
Edit:
(I live in Ontario Canada)

Is it weird that I'm feeling SFV netcode is actually better than Tekken 7? I played the same 3 guys one in West coast, one in the middle East and one is 3ish Km away from me in both games for the middle East one SFV was better, for the West coast it was give a or take but i would say Tekken 7 had more consistent performance (experienced some lag in some of the rounds) and for my friend who lives 10 minutes away both of them were flawless.
Edit:

Sounds about right to me. Havent run 7 since the patch though, may have gotten better.

myco666

Not even gonna lie, I miss FADC. A mechanic that actually grew along with the player. This game, and it's top characters, are way too easy to execute with. I have mediocre execution, and HORRIBLE hit confirming, and I can manage both with a few of the top characters. I'm also terrible at playing more than one character at a time, so that makes things even worse when I can do it.

SFV is such a great game, and I'll love and support it until SFVI, but it really is slacking in the execution and output department. I hate this whole "everyone can do it now" shit. It just makes things less significant.

Am I just losing my mind?

SFV could use bit harder execution but SFIV was just way too hard.

Devil

I can totally see why better players, especially pros, want a higher execution ceiling.

Personally, as someone who played most of the games but only now started to try to get sort of good, I still can't consistently do something as easy as linking Ryu's cr.hp into SRK (into CA). Neither on stick nor hori pad. I can do it 7/10 from the right side, maybe 4/10 times from the left. Despite practicing it several times, mashing that often works better for me than actuaöly trying to hit tje correct inputs and timing.

Still, when you pull shit off during a fight that seems hard to you you get a great feeling of progress and accomplishment so I understand those demands.

Pompadour

SFV could use bit harder execution but SFIV was just way too hard.

Yeah, I don't see the value in SFIV difficulty of execution. I never felt like I was getting better at doing 1f and 2f links in training. I would just get them occasionally and not know what I did different that time to nail the link.

The harder to do stuff in SFV communicates what you need to do accomplish it visually. Since the game has a 3f buffer it's more about timing juggles, using attacks to move in a direction slightly, or microwalking which you can visually see in the combo itself. Hitting tight links was like playing Guitar Hero blind with no music. I couldn't tell if I was too early or too late.

Also, I don't consider it good game design when the common solution to tight links is exploit the way the game handles inputs to get the same input on two consecutive frames. Especially when people were using the goddamn select button to help out.

VariantX

Ucchedavāda;239749345 said:

I think I'm going to go ahead and just get the CPT 2017 DLC next week. Thats alot of extra fight money every month. I can buy all the stages I don't have with that extra FM

I think I'm going to go ahead and just get the CPT 2017 DLC next week. Thats alot of extra fight money every month. I can buy all the stages I don't have with that extra FM

If you just want stages, then you'd honestly be better off just purchasing the stages for real money. That'll only cost you $4 per stage, and $10 for the CPT stage, vs buying the pass for $30 and getting the CPT stage and enough FM for 2-3 other stages.

After a year, the lack of combo variety really gets to me. It's always the same stuff over and over again.

You're never gonna see something like this in SFV. Sometimes you just have that urge to do flashy stuff.

Pompadour

3 frame links is still really hard.

I think the game needs less precision and more Defense.

Yeah, I feel bad for execution monsters but easy execution isn't SFV's problem (or in the top 30 of SFV's problems).

Lots of anime games have a 3f buffer and they're known for having obscenely difficult combos. The issue is more the highest execution characters in SFV would probably be one of the easier/average characters execution wise in Guilty Gear. Since tight links isn't the only way combos can be hard I can see them adding anime game type characters that require you to input a shitload of inputs in a small window.

After a year, the lack of combo variety really gets to me. It's always the same stuff over and over again.

You're never gonna see something like this in SFV. Sometimes you just have that urge to do flashy stuff.

To be fair, you'll never see that combo in a match. Geese had to waste EX by whiffing throws just so he could enter MAX mode again mid-combo. And that's not including how the combo has to start from a jump while you're in the corner.

That's like me pointing to that SFV Desk video where Ed's reflected V-Trigger hits him in the ass repeatedly so he could extend his combo and using that as an example of SFV's combo creativity. Sure, it's technically possible, but both players would have to collude to make that happen.

To be fair, you'll never see that combo in a match. Geese had to waste EX by whiffing throws just so he could enter MAX mode again mid-combo. And that's not including how the combo has to start from a jump while you're in the corner.

That's like me pointing to that SFV Desk video where Ed's reflected V-Trigger hits him in the ass repeatedly so he could extend his combo and using that as an example of SFV's combo creativity. Sure, it's technically possible, but both players would have to collude to make that happen.
OK.

How about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTTdSLti2JM

Yun, Seth, Sakura, Guile, Chun, Adon (to an extent), Evil Ryu, El Fuerte, Smug. So many of the characters had the POTENTIAL to do long ass fancy combos. While in SFV, it's just Chun-Li and Urien.

EDIT: lol how could I have forgotten Juri. And those are just the ones you saw a lot in competition. Most characters if not all could do long and flashy stuff. I too thought that the execution was way too tough and horribly implemented in SF4 but I didn't hate that sense of satisfaction when you land a combo especially mid-match.

myco666

3 frame links is still really hard.

I think the game needs less precision and more Defense.

More defense sure but less precision? Nah. 3 frames is loose enough.

Yeah its starting to get bit boring.

Edit:

Yes, go see a doctor or upgrade your internet. The only issue was trying to connect with a player from Europe and had trouble syncing with that player on day one but inputs and gameplay was smooth.

Laura: Charged H Fireball, F HP, delay, F HP TC, H Bolt Charge = 380 Damage, one Button no meter

Sako Combo: All the buttons = 500 Damage.

Peter Molyneux seems to be involved in SFV.

Killer Instinct's motions are almost all quarter circles, DPs or back-forward motions. There are no charge characters, no half circles, practically 0 execution requirements for the basic game.

But there is a very real way to pull off flashy and difficult to break combos in the form of manuals. Unlike linkers which are just done by pressing a button once in a VERY generous window, these manuals have to be specifically timed to be almost frame-perfect. If they are, they allow you to continue your combo in a way that's incredibly difficult to break purely on reaction, almost impossible. But the downside of course is that if you screw up, you drop a combo.

The point is that even in games that specifically have lowered execution requirements as part of their design, those games too have ways to reward higher levels of execution.

cackhyena

How about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTTdSLti2JM

Yun, Seth, Sakura, Guile, Chun, Adon (to an extent), Evil Ryu, El Fuerte, Smug. So many of the characters had the POTENTIAL to do long ass fancy combos. While in SFV, it's just Chun-Li and Urien.

EDIT: lol how could I have forgotten Juri. And those are just the ones you saw a lot in competition. Most characters if not all could do long and flashy stuff. I too thought that the execution was way too tough and horribly implemented in SF4 but I didn't hate that sense of satisfaction when you land a combo especially mid-match.

Agreed. I thought they were close enough in beta 1 and it regressed after that. Just felt watered down.

Kashiwaba

Yes, go see a doctor or upgrade your internet. The only issue was trying to connect with a player from Europe and had trouble syncing with that player on day one but inputs and gameplay was smooth.

Laura: Charged H Fireball, F HP, delay, F HP TC, H Bolt Charge = 380 Damage, one Button no meter

Sako Combo: All the buttons = 500 Damage.

Peter Molyneux seems to be involved in SFV.

As i said i played the same guys with both games, and i don't think my internet needs upgrading lol. it's just i guess the input delay for the whole match (against the west coast friend and the one in the middle East) was way more noticeable than the few rollbacks in SFV . Also before you mention the one sided rollback i was actually on WhatsApp voice call with each of them when we were playing and we didn't get any noticable one sided rollback.

koene

Quick question. I own the disc edition of SFV. If I buy the digital edition, will all my stuff be in sync (Fight money, dlc, etc)?

Quick question. I own the disc edition of SFV. If I buy the digital edition, will all my stuff be in sync (Fight money, dlc, etc)?

As long as you play with the same account, yes.

Know that you'll probably have to reinstall the digital edition though, even if you have the physical version installed. It's the same for almost every PS4 game.

joe2187

Banned
Do you guys think capcom would ever do a SFxT 2?

I kind of want a new one that isnt bogged down by terrible game mechanic decisions, the Tekken Chars in the SF engine were really fun to play.

Lulubop

Do you guys think capcom would ever do a SFxT 2?

I kind of want a new one that isnt bogged down by terrible game mechanic decisions, the Tekken Chars in the SF engine were really fun to play.

No way, it's tainted to much. Which is a shame, because the Tekken characters were so dope in it.

Skilletor

Edit:

Are you playing on PS4?

Tekken netcode is only decent, imo, on PS4. Definitely not as good as TTT2 or SC5 was in my experience.

PC is fucking amazing. Holy shit. So good.

Street Fighter 4 Akuma

My point is that Namco isn't afraid of Capcom "tarnishing their brand" if one of the selling points is a Capcom character, featured heavily in the promotion and story.

That's a SF4 thing really. Before SF4, unless you're talking about 3S Yun or CC...super long combos were never really the heart of Street Fighter.

SF5 tries to strike a medium between SF2 and SF4...so it sort of turns into SF3 (math!).
Urien's combo length in SF5 is about what it was in SF3. Alex combos in SF5 are way longer than his combos in SF3 ever were. Juri has some pretty long combos in SF5. Guile has long loops. Ibuki and Akuma have some crazy combos.

I think people are underselling SF5 in terms of its combo potential, simply because it doesn't have FADC style roman cancels whose explicit purpose is to make combos longer (but not necessarily more interesting).

Also, people are overselling SF4's so called variety. In matches, most people used the same combos in every match. All Abels used step kick > HP > CoD > FaDC > cr.HP > Sky Fall. Sometimes they mixed up the ender...but people do that in SF5, too. All Vipers used FFF. All Hugos did the same clap combos. All Balrogs did headbutt into Ultra for crap damage. Etc.

Just had a really good string of victories online, but it was almost entirely newbies or guys not playing their mains. XD

Definitely feel like for my time spent playing I'm not at the level of others in my shoes.

I know it's not Capcom or anything related, but holy fuck the new DBZ game sounds fucking nuts! I'm all in!
I am probably gonna be there day one but I'm most likely just gonna be casual at it, not gonna even pretend like I can put in the appropriate time to get gud at such a game.

If it was a JoJo's game though, I'd be singing a whole different tune.

Producer

its pretty pointless to compare sf4 and sfv at this point. We are a year and a half in, the combo mechanics are pretty much set. Thats how i see it anyway. Lets complain about things that can still be fixed or added

its pretty pointless to compare sf4 and sfv at this point. We are a year and a half in, the combo mechanics are pretty much set. Thats how i see it anyway. Lets complain about things that can still be fixed or added
The only problems I complain about are the things that I deep down know they're not gonna fix. Hence why I'm still complaining :(

I should just move on.

Also finally out of lurking. What's good Gaf.
Hey bud, welcome to the thread. May your jump ins be true and your V-Reversals hit.

Top Bottom