• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

SFV's simplicity just led people to find the most optimized stuff the fastest compared to other SF games. In SF4, people at least had to take time to lab shit out and figure which is what, giving players and viewers a buffer of time of sorts before seeing the same fucking Evil Ryu combos over and over. This is even more of a thing for SFV because players are finally learning frame data and the immediacy of the internet lets you learn much faster than before.

Tekken players only rely on a handful of move compared to the rest of the entire movelist. Once you get gud in that game, you shrug off the rest. Even Gundam doesn't really have long strings or tons of combos.

But on the flipside, having that buffer is still fun for players at the end of the day. Some of them want to lab it up with fancy shit. Some of them want to enjoy pulling that off, even if it's not optimal. And I'm not talking longer combos, just more in general. Even if a lot of shit people post on Twitter isn't the most optimal thing to use in Tekken, it's still fun to watch and even work towards landing in training mode.

To fix this problem, they should simply buff the v-stuff. Let it extend combos by a few hits in some situations. Make them more usable. It'll break up the visual consistency AND add some more depth without going too anime crazy. Like, I dunno, make it so Mika can toss the mic faster and combo into it with shit. Or let Birdie drink something so he can extend his combos by a hit more of some silly shit. Even letting Karin, Bison, Nash and Ibuki use their skills in the middle of some combos would definitely help as well. Yeah they'd have to balance it, but that application alone would help.

kirblar

I wonder which came first - ASW doing the 3v3 DBZ or MvC:I being slated for 2v2.

Cause the "we both dodged a bullet" thing there is interesting.

Well, see, that's another problem. Some of the cool shit like that is pushed behind situational things. Like Bison's parry ain't gonna be used in every fight, which sucks because it'd be real neat if they could balance it where it's usable on non-fireball dudes without too much consequence but you have to link some combo into it or something.

I played at my locals recently and caught a Birdie whiffing, threw that shit back, and won the match. People around me screamed. That's hype shit right there. Imagine if I could do that more often (and balance it, of course).

MrCarter

My point is that Namco isn't afraid of Capcom "tarnishing their brand" if one of the selling points is a Capcom character, featured heavily in the promotion and story.

I think he was just pulling your leg lol. Everyone knows that although Tekken sells well the brand will never be as strong and popular as SF.

That's a SF4 thing really. Before SF4, unless you're talking about 3S Yun or CC...super long combos were never really the heart of Street Fighter.

SF5 tries to strike a medium between SF2 and SF4...so it sort of turns into SF3 (math!).
Urien's combo length in SF5 is about what it was in SF3. Alex combos in SF5 are way longer than his combos in SF3 ever were. Juri has some pretty long combos in SF5. Guile has long loops. Ibuki and Akuma have some crazy combos.

I think people are underselling SF5 in terms of its combo potential, simply because it doesn't have FADC style roman cancels whose explicit purpose is to make combos longer (but not necessarily more interesting).

Also, people are overselling SF4's so called variety. In matches, most people used the same combos in every match. All Abels used step kick > HP > CoD > FaDC > cr.HP > Sky Fall. Sometimes they mixed up the ender...but people do that in SF5, too. All Vipers used FFF. All Hugos did the same clap combos. All Balrogs did headbutt into Ultra for crap damage. Etc.

Good post. SF was never about combos, and even if they were it's not like it would get old and stale pretty fast too, like it did in the previous title. SFV for me, is like a spiritual successor to SF3 which is probably why I enjoy it far more than SFIV.

GDC talk about the art direction for SFV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlbJdmo7KE

Also finally out of lurking. What's good Gaf.

Welcome! I saw this last year and it's incredible to see how much thought and planning went in the art and design process of this game.

Yodigli

Neo Member
Hey bud, welcome to the thread. May your jump ins be true and your V-Reversals hit.

Nice. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the official NeoGAF SFV complaint thread!

MrCarter said:
Welcome! I saw this last year and it's incredible to see how much thought and planning went in the art and design process of this game.

Thanks! Played mostly in season 1, and due to life,have only been about to play a little bit of season 2. Used to main Laura, heard there's a hunt for Laura mains and now I've been playing Akuma.

She's ass now? Maybe I should go back to her being my main. I used to "main" Sean in 3rd Strike so I'm a glutton for bad decisions.

Yea she's really bad now IMO. She's possibly the riskiest character in the game to use, you live and die by your guesses. They overnerfed her tbh. She might be the worst grappler in the game tbh.

If you want to continue playing low tier then play her. If you want to win though, I'd go to someone better/high tier like Necalli or Alex.

Producer

Yea she's really bad now IMO. She's possibly the riskiest character in the game to use, you live and die by your guesses. They overnerfed her tbh. She might be the worst grappler in the game tbh.

If you want to continue playing low tier then play her. If you want to win though, I'd go to someone better/high tier like Necalli or Alex.

i hate u

Yodigli

Neo Member
Though if you really want shit characters, look no further than the WORST CHARACTER IN THE GAME.

Even in 3rd Strike, Alex never clicked for me. I feel like right now is the worst time to try and make that work.

I played some Necalli in season 1 and enjoyed that, from what I've been seeing on here he's still a problem.

In reality, I'm going to be Super Bronze forever so I'm going to suffer from random Kens anyways.

myco666

Always when I play against Ken I go "man these guys have so good hitconfirms" then I block low and realize they just go for it. Who needs hit confirms when you can just do it.

In reality, I'm going to be Super Bronze forever so I'm going to suffer from random Kens anyways.

Best and only viable Ken.

Edzi

Even in 3rd Strike, Alex never clicked for me. I feel like right now is the worst time to try and make that work.

I played some Necalli in season 1 and enjoyed that, from what I've been seeing on here he's still a problem.

Lol, most people replying to you are being sarcastic. Laura is still top tier, as is Necalli. Alex is one of the worst characters in the game.

That's a SF4 thing really. Before SF4, unless you're talking about 3S Yun or CC...super long combos were never really the heart of Street Fighter.

SF5 tries to strike a medium between SF2 and SF4...so it sort of turns into SF3 (math!).
Urien's combo length in SF5 is about what it was in SF3. Alex combos in SF5 are way longer than his combos in SF3 ever were. Juri has some pretty long combos in SF5. Guile has long loops. Ibuki and Akuma have some crazy combos.

I think people are underselling SF5 in terms of its combo potential, simply because it doesn't have FADC style roman cancels whose explicit purpose is to make combos longer (but not necessarily more interesting).

Also, people are overselling SF4's so called variety. In matches, most people used the same combos in every match. All Abels used step kick > HP > CoD > FaDC > cr.HP > Sky Fall. Sometimes they mixed up the ender...but people do that in SF5, too. All Vipers used FFF. All Hugos did the same clap combos. All Balrogs did headbutt into Ultra for crap damage. Etc.

Sako's Evil Ryu combos definitely got more interesting using FADC imo.

The thing about the system in SF4 was that you had the opportunity to use that combo variety if you chose to. In SFV they've heavily limited what you can do and what normals link into other normals. In regards to the Abel combo, that was his most damaging BnB that in high level play, you'd go for each time to max out damage yes. A casual player still wouldn't be able to hit it within maybe 2-3 weeks though lol. Give a casual a balrog cr.MK TC VT for 50% and they'll probably get it down in maybe an hour.

Viper's execution was possibly the hardest in the game, the combos they chose to do really mattered if they were near the corner or midscreen, what special it was off of, how much meter was used etc. Hugo was pretty limited but clap combos were hype and difficult to do. Balrog's max damage BnB's required many 1f links to get down. Only PR Rog put in the work to get those max damage combos down.

now I feel like playing SFIV again, probably gonna play it at a session tonight.

Necalli is easily both the easiest and scrubbiest character to use in the game. He has literally every option available while having 1000/1000 and mad damage. He's basically Seth but instead of being a glass cannon he's a full blown tank.
Lol, most people replying to you are being sarcastic. Laura is still top tier, as is Necalli. Alex is one of the worst characters in the game.
Don't listen to Edzi. He's a troll that downplays Alex to try get more buffs until Alex is god tier.

Count's just protecting his girl, making sure to downplay Laura as much as possible in case the Capcom balance team is watching.

Haunts is still lurking. I know Haunts uses/used Laura too so he knows how it be sometimes.

MCD250

Count's just protecting his girl, making sure to downplay Laura as much as possible in case the Capcom balance team is watching.

There was also the st.hk into guaranteed st.lp xx st.lp (meaty) that could only be done on Alex. For everyone else, you had to do a microwalk after the st.hk which is arguably the most execution heavy thing I've seen in this game yet.

So don't worry yourself, Alex is fucking weird.
vNGctYZ.jpg

Mr. X

After a year, the lack of combo variety really gets to me. It's always the same stuff over and over again.

You're never gonna see something like this in SFV. Sometimes you just have that urge to do flashy stuff.
There's new games out there if you want to do unoptimized combos and get away with it.

Truth be told, the MvC:I gameplay system actually sounds incredibly appealing to me.

But the limited roster + locking so many characters behind DLC + Capcpom means that I'm probably gonna skip it.

Kashiwaba

Are you playing on PS4?

Tekken netcode is only decent, imo, on PS4. Definitely not as good as TTT2 or SC5 was in my experience.

PC is fucking amazing. Holy shit. So good.
Ya I'm on ps4, hopefully they will patch the consoles version to be as good as pc at least for the online part ;(.

Pompadour

So I have a lot of PlayStation credit and I'm thinking about getting in on that spend $100 get $15 back deal on PSN. I'm planning on buying MvCI Deluxe Edtion and the CPT 2017 package. I feel like I could regret this but I also don't like paying full price for digital games and content.

Sako likes it too. Said 4 got boring. But hey shit can change .

I firmly believe when SF6 comes out, if Capcom still exists, people will start a petition to go back to V.

MrCarter

Welcome and thanks for sharing this. I just started watching the vid, and I already like the interpreter. Very laid back and emotive.

He was very good. Toshiyuki Kamei, the art director who also worked on SFxT and SFIV, certainly knows his stuff - and he looks about 12 years old!

I firmly believe when SF6 comes out, if Capcom still exists, people will start a petition to go back to V.

That goes without saying lol. However, I have a feeling SFV might be here for quite a while with Capcom continually developing the game and meta. Perhaps it will even go F2P after 2020 KI style.

Skilletor

There are only two constants in videogames:

1. The current FF isn't as good as the FF I played during my formative years and, as such, Square has lost the plot.

2. The current SF is nowhere near as the past SF (that had years of support to get as good as I think it was by the time new SF came out).

MCD250

I'd pay $15 to get Ono as DLC.

There are only two constants in videogames:

1. The current FF isn't as good as the FF I played during my formative years and, as such, Square has lost the plot.

2. The current SF is nowhere near as the past SF (that had years of support to get as good as I think it was by the time new SF came out).
Man, ain't this the truth. The thing about FF especially.

why the fuck does he run in place when doing blanka's electricity HAVE YOU EVEN SEEN BLANKA IN-GAME ONO

I am dying hahaahah

It's actually a sneak preview at revamped SFV Blanka who can generate the electricity while moving ala Honda's sneaky toe movements during the SF2Turbo hundred hand slap.

Please Sneakers

Please

Just tell me how Abigail plays

Even just a tiny hint

I just want someone like Hugo. Birdie burned me bad, I don't want to make hard reads all day. Just let this boy clap

Top Bottom