• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

myco666

E3's been pretty ehh so far for me.

So far, Dragonball FighterZ really has been the highlight, and all that game got on the mainstage was a 2 minute trailer at the XBOX conference.

Speeder-Man and God of War look nice but I'm still gonna wait for reviews.

Getting TWO Housemarquee games within 2-3 months was a VERY pleasant surprise.

The Evil Within 2 though.

Bethesda did well from what I heard. The Evil Within 2 is going to be awesome.

My man.

I am at that point where i think i need another break from Mika. I find her the most fun of the cast to use but her shit anti air winds me up so much.

For example a ryu cross me up with mk. I hit cr.mp and it either trades, gets stuffed or moves her forwards so it misses and the cross up hits. Wingless aero gets stuff. Jump lk gets stuffed. So i can basically block or cr.hp to go under it where they just jump and do it again.

Its obviously not an unbeatable situation and if you know they are going to jump again you can jump back hk or something but its really god damn annoying when so many of the cast have easy one button or direction and button anti airs that beat everything.

Kashiwaba

What do you guys think about MvC:I demo? I actually like that it's actually slower and the gameplay is really nice, but chun face and Chris eyes are so messed up lol.

It feels slower because it's more grounded but RayRay found that wavedash so I dunno.
Gameplay is sick. The reality gems are going to give you more options than you probably shouldn't have since it's going to bust the game but hey that's Marvel.
Characters feel a little more diverse? Like they all have individual mechanics that are fleshed out. Or maybe that's just me.
You can turn auto shit off thank god.
DP change was silly at first but kinda works since you can buffer the input. Gonna take people a while to do it right but kinda helps.
Activating infinity stones is going to be so busted it'll be great.
Thought story mode wasn't bad. Some parts stood out that were horribly acted but the exchanges were fairly neat.
Graphics aren't bad but some of the models are fucking garbo and the lighting makes them look worse than they are. Also no blinking I think wtf.

All in all, if they put a filter on the game it'll be ten times better but right now it's definitely a Marvel game through and through.

Kashiwaba

It feels slower because it's more grounded but RayRay found that wavedash so I dunno.
Gameplay is sick. The reality gems are going to give you more options than you probably shouldn't have since it's going to bust the game but hey that's Marvel.
Characters feel a little more diverse? Like they all have individual mechanics that are fleshed out. Or maybe that's just me.
You can turn auto shit off thank god.
DP change was silly at first but kinda works since you can buffer the input. Gonna take people a while to do it right but kinda helps.
Activating infinity stones is going to be so busted it'll be great.
Thought story mode wasn't bad. Some parts stood out that were horribly acted but the exchanges were fairly neat.
Graphics aren't bad but some of the models are fucking garbo and the lighting makes them look worse than they are. Also no blinking I think wtf.

All in all, if they put a filter on the game it'll be ten times better but right now it's definitely a Marvel game through and through.

There is many loading screens in story mode and the leading is long (but faster than SFV and T7), and ya the game felt so bad with assists after i turned them off it felt much better like i said in the other thread i hope Capcom gives us the option to turn them off it keep them once we start the game the first time instead of burying them in the options.

My friend quickly said fuck MvCI after playing the Demo, but even if he didn't play the Demo, MvCi became a after thought after seeing Dragon Ball Fighter Z. he's a huge DBZ fan...

I wish MvCI demo was on PC.....booo Capcom i want to try it..

My friend quickly said fuck MvCI after playing the Demo, but even if he didn't play the Demo, MvCi became a after thought after seeing Dragon Ball Fighter Z. he's a huge DBZ fan...

I wish MvCI demo was on PC.....booo Capcom i want to try it..

I guess they're wary since the PC beta of SFV was hacked to play offline back in 2015

MrCarter

I remember reading theories that SFV was so budget because Capcom was dumping that money into MvC4. Now I'm thinking it's the other way around.

I definitely think it's some weird aesthetic choice instead of a budget issue. This is a title that I'm sure Marvel would have helped out with in terms of finance so it's bizarre how we have crappy face models like this. Gameplay and animations seem good they just need to improve on everything else.

myco666

I thought the MvC:I demo was fine. Not a marvel player though (outside of doing trials lol) so what do I know, right. Has weird visuals where it looks really good at times and other times just ugh. Also those loading times are a bummer.

If there's one thing you can always count on for Capcpom, it's fighting games that play well and MvC:I is no exception. It's LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE including pricing, balancing, UI, etc, etc that they mess up.

Played the demo and I do think that the game has potential. Though I hope that they balance out the gems further. If one person activates their Infinity stone (the super, fully charged one) then the other person can't activate theirs even if it's fully charged. Can lead to cases of "Who activates their infinity stone first".

Personally I've been in favour of a slower and more footsie and NO ASSIST Mahvel since the start. But I just knew that Capcpom would fuck it up in every other way and that does still seem to be the case. Guess we'll see in September.
The Evil Within 2 though..
Not a big horror fan to be honest. Wolfenstein 2 looked amazing though, can't believe I forgot that one.

You only start out with 50 percent for the purposes of the story mode. And popping it early would be pretty stupid because I'd assume you'd want the resources to maximize using it (I doubt you'll get it more than once in a round). UI didn't look too terrible, but the comic book feel of 3 was better.

Graphically the game is all over the damn place, with some characters looking sharp and some not so sharp. In game, everything looks pretty good, but those cutscenes man.

At the very least, it'll be a relatively complete game on release. And the gameplay looks like it has a lot of depth. I just want some better lighting and updated models is all.

myco666

Not a big horror fan to be honest. Wolfenstein 2 looked amazing though, can't believe I forgot that one.

But its like playing FANG. Guns do shit damage and you have to work extra hard to kill anything. You also die very fast and feel like you have no way out of the pressure.

Wolfenstein 2 looked amazing too for sure.

But its like playing FANG. Guns do shit damage and you have to work extra hard to kill anything. You also die very fast and feel like you have no way out of the pressure.

Wolfenstein 2 looked amazing too for sure.
While that does sound nice lol, I just don't find the horror genre in general to be appealing. That feeling of helplessness or despair is not something I want to be emulating. I don't mind the whole "odds are always stacked against you" thing but not in a horror context.

Pompadour

I definitely think it's some weird aesthetic choice instead of a budget issue. This is a title that I'm sure Marvel would have helped out with in terms of finance so it's bizarre how we have crappy face models like this. Gameplay and animations seem good they just need to improve on everything else.

I mean, it's probably both. I feel like the 28 character roster that reuses animation from MvC3 (which is fine) proves its lower budget than its predecessor. Or at the very least the Marvel license got way more expensive.

However, I knew MvC3's slick comic book-esque aesthetic wasn't coming back. Marvel probably wanted a more serious, drabber look that is cohesive with the Marvel brand as a whole. The downside of that being it looks 1) boring 2) and doesn't hide the character model flaws well.

MvC3's models were pretty basic but the inky black shadows made them look pretty good overall. The worst they looked was during the victory screen stuff. Of course, there they just looked bland and flat whereas Chun Li just looks bad. And she doesn't even look Ken in SFV bad where most shots Ken looks fine (proof being the people claiming the story mode update fixed his face just when it showed his face at better angles).

Shadow of the colossus, Spider-Man and Dragonball z highlights for me. After last years Sony show I was expecting one a little more by the books. Still, even thought it was mostly updates on games we've seen, everything looked incredible. I'm good off hype right now, this is the year we're actually playing a bunch of quality titles

JAXXX

What time is Capcom's stream today?

reminder...
CAPCOM STREAM AT E3

Every year, Capcom and the entire video game industry descends upon Los Angeles, California for E3 to show you some of the cool stuff we've been hard at work on. And if you're a fan of video games, like me, the tradition for us fans is that we like to hop on the proverbial Hype Train and ride it all the way to E3 snacking on every single bit of info we can get. So to give you something to chew on, here is our currently planned streaming schedule for the show:

All times are Pacific Time UTC - 8

Tuesday, June 13

1:00pm = 4:00 PM est
2:00pm = 5:00 PM est

Wednesday, June 14

11:00am = 2:00 PM est
12:00pm = 3:00 PM est
1:00pm = 4:00 PM est

Thursday, June 15

10:00am = 1:00 PM est
12:15pm = 3:15 PM est
1:30pm = 4:15 PM est

Im not even a DBZ fan but that looked pretty sweet. Only other thing even slightly on my radar from E3 was battlefront 2 and even then im not excited for it. I have gone from playing many games in a year to suddenly barely anything interesting me. Just play sfv, prat about a bit in other fighting games and maybe twice a month play overwatch. Only other stuff i have done this year is horizon and the first dungeon in persona 5.

Most things seem to be yet another sequel or something i have seen before. Very few interesting new ideas arriving at the mo. At least that interest me anyway.

ElFly

let's move on and discuss this important tier chart from reddit

t3_6gzoi1

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/6gzoi1/totally_accurate_tier_list_according_to_new/

Skilletor

I don't know what people are talking about w/ Marvel feeling sluggish. I loved what I played. I haaaaaaaaaaaate 3v3, and I love older Marvel titles, so this felt like coming home to me. I'm super hype. But it's getting harder to care about fighting game threads on GAF because so much negativity.

I don't know what people are talking about w/ Marvel feeling sluggish. I loved what I played. I haaaaaaaaaaaate 3v3, and I love older Marvel titles, so this felt like coming home to me. I'm super hype. But it's getting harder to care about fighting game threads on GAF because so much negativity.

RayRay said it was too fast lol

I wouldn't call it sluggish but it definitely felt SLOW, and I'm not just talking about the fact that game's pace is deliberately slower. Characters just "felt" heavier. And that wasn't (just) because of the input latency, it's clearly a design choice.

Not necessarily a bad one IMO, I still thought it's fun. But I'm waiting to see how more characters handle before coming to any conclusions.

Skilletor

I wouldn't call it sluggish but it definitely felt SLOW, and I'm not just talking about the fact that game's pace is deliberately slower. Characters just "felt" heavier. And that wasn't (just) because of the input latency, it's clearly a design choice.

Not necessarily a bad one IMO, I still thought it's fun. But I'm waiting to see how more characters handle before coming to any conclusions.

Yeah, but sluggish to me means something different. It's slower and heavier for sure, but it's still responsive. It's the same kind of thing that happens whenever a new game is released. Feels weird because you're so used the old and have to get used to the new.

I got T'Challa, so I'm set. :D

Yeah, but sluggish to me means something different. It's slower and heavier for sure, but it's still responsive. It's the same kind of thing that happens whenever a new game is released. Feels weird because you're so used the old and have to get used to the new.

you still gotta reinstall USF4 idc idc

Pompadour

This is true but it could still be slower. Like I remember when MvC3 was revealed people complained about how matches kept going to time over and people thought the damage was tuned too low or offense was too weak. Clearly this wasn't the case and people were having trouble opening each other up because they weren't used to the game.

Then SFxT was revealed and people played it and complained about how often the game went to time over. Whereas everything I said about players not knowing the game was true that game legitimately had a time over issue which had to be rectified with a patch.

I'm firmly on the "wait and see" side since I've been following internet discussions of fighting games since SF4 and people routinely make snap judgments about balance, game speed, etc. that end up hilariously inaccurate. However, it's still a possibility the game is just slower overall than its predecessor.

y'all wild, mvci feels hella fast, you can wave dash, triangle dash, captain america's combos feel exactly the same speed as umvc3 as well.

The fast movement is harder though, because of overlapping inputs with the down, down + something nonesense. But it's def possible.
Been fucking around with captain marvel a bunch, and at times her triangle jumping feels like it's at umvc storm speeds, it's difficult though because you can't just jump up and do it, you need to do the superjump, but cancel it with down so you do a lower jump.

But yeah I'm liking it, wish I could get some lab time instead of having to die and continue every time, captain america and captain marvel feel great.

MrCarter

Shadow of the colossus, Spider-Man and Dragonball z highlights for me. After last years Sony show I was expecting one a little more by the books. Still, even thought it was mostly updates on games we've seen, everything looked incredible. I'm good off hype right now, this is the year we're actually playing a bunch of quality titles

You missed out God of War.

It was a statement I made.

Although, I don't know if I said in the starting roster. #loopholes
It was in the context of Black Panther not being revealed. Neither you nor CB specified whether you meant DLC or at launch but the wording does make it sound like DLC could be included in this.

So you're safe.

There is no chance Black Panther isn't in.

It is impossible that he's not in.
y'all wild, mvci feels hella fast, you can wave dash, triangle dash, captain america's combos feel exactly the same speed as umvc3 as well.

The fast movement is harder though, because of overlapping inputs with the down, down + something nonesense. But it's def possible.
Been fucking around with captain marvel a bunch, and at times her triangle jumping feels like it's at umvc storm speeds, it's difficult though because you can't just jump up and do it, you need to do the superjump, but cancel it with down so you do a lower jump.

But yeah I'm liking it, wish I could get some lab time instead of having to die and continue every time, captain america and captain marvel feel great.
To be fair, I did only play through it once in the morning before I collapsed from staying up all night for E3. Gonna try it again soon and hopefully treat more it like the lab rather than getting to grips with a character.

MrCarter

I know. Tell me about it. I adored the origins of where this game from: Marvel Super Heroes, XMvSF, MSHvSF and MvC1, yet when I see some people who can't see past their own agendas by spreading hate, have these inane fanboy wars with dumb memes and offer no constructive criticism, simply because it's not "their" MvC game, is a shame.

I want MvC:I to be great just like everyone else in this thread. I'd love to be in the trenches defending this game with yall but.. were 3 months out from them releasing a game that looks significantly worse than the previous game in the series that came out 6 years ago on last gen console + the roster is looking to be 90% dookie.

Capcom gotta let this game cook for another 2 years at least.

Chun Li looks like she's done kilos of coke.

How is even the art terrible? #Icant

Some characters being watered down versions of their Marvel 3 selves.. :notlikethis:

Wakanda stage looks cool tho

Edzi

I want MvC:I to be great just like everyone else in this thread. I'd love to be in the trenches defending this game with yall but.. were 3 months out from them releasing a game that looks significantly worse than the previous game in the series that came out 6 years ago on last gen console + the roster is looking to be 90% dookie.

Some characters being watered down versions of their Marvel 3 selves.. :notlikethis:

It's gonna be another SFV. I'm just hoping the game is fun and the community accepts it enough for Capcom to improve it over the next few years.

Rymuth

I feel bad for laughing out loud .__.

Skilletor

I'm getting both, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more hyped for DBF.

DBZ looks dope, but everything looks homogeneous right now. I like vs. fighters because tons of gameplay styles are valid (like SF used to be lolol). DBZ looks like it's going to be rushdown all day.

Top Bottom