• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Dudes that are like L753 and their characters are L46 are in Bronze league? Where you whiff once and they combo you for 22 and like half your life. Wtf, I hit a big streak of smurfs tonight.
And yes I'm Bronze.

Blueblur1

Remember when Ono announced Juri by name at Evo, but didn't show her trailer until SDCC?

That was weird as hell, especially following the Dizzy trailer.
Ah shit, you're totally right. I had completely forgotten how Juri was rolled out. I guess we should expect nothing at EVO.

Dudes that are like L753 and their characters are L46 are in Bronze league? Wtf, I hit a big streak of smurfs tonight.
And yes I'm Bronze.
I'm in Bronze too and I feel like I play a lot smurf accounts. Dudes block a couple attacks and then all of sudden perform super optimal punishes that I never saw coming.

What dumb racist thing did he say? Was it public or behind the scenes?
He conducted an interview with Mike Ross and Zhi after an event. I believe it was SEAM 2016 but I could be wrong here.

The interview was going very well actually, until the end when he suddenly decided to bust out a fried chicken joke. I don't know if Mike Ross was actually eating fried chicken at the event or what, but that joke just came out of freaking nowhere and they didn't even know each other well enough for MR to just ignore the joke.

Can't find the video for some reason but it was at the end of the official interview.

CKOfFTcUkAA36et.jpg

stHsnp0.jpg

stHsnp0.jpg

stHsnp0.jpg

Buff the standard v skills and triggers. Make a universal mechanic. Bam.

I want some strategy, I want new V-skills, new V-triggers and new CA's, and we can choose which one to take into battle, so with Vega CA2, V-skill 1, and V-trigger 2....you now have to change your approach based on new stuff until you learn the MU...gives the game more depth..

I want some strategy, I want new V-skills, new V-triggers and new CA's, and we can choose which one to take into battle, so with Vega CA2, V-skill 1, and V-trigger 2....you now have to change your approach based on new stuff until you learn the MU...gives the game more depth..

I feel like having new CAs can definitely be a great addition if they treat it like different Ultra's in SFV. Hell, I feel like they could straight up port some of the ultras as optional supers.

Dhalsim's air grab ultra, give Gief a new CA that's a suped up running bear grab (invincible to projectiles).

Laura will still never use her CA because why the fuck would you.

I think new CAs and new Triggers are going too far. Just buffing the existing v-skills and putting in a universal mechanic would be enough. At some point, when you start adding a bunch of shit, things are clearly better than other options (like how Ultra was) and that depth is tossed out the window.

A universal thing that benefits all the characters while making their skills better would add a ton of depth to the game without letting people ignore the concept of what SFV is. At the very least, I'd rather have just two skills to pick from if a universal mechanic can't get added.

Kashiwaba

I feel like having new CAs can definitely be a great addition if they treat it like different Ultra's in SFV. Hell, I feel like they could straight up port some of the ultras as optional supers.

Dhalsim's air grab ultra, give Gief a new CA that's a suped up running bear grab (invincible to projectiles).

Laura will still never use her CA because why the fuck would you.
Man Capcom is broke, and you want them to add new CA and V triggers just take a look at MvC:i chun li face they couldn't ever hire a professional to do her face.

He conducted an interview with Mike Ross and Zhi after an event. I believe it was SEAM 2016 but I could be wrong here.

The interview was going very well actually, until the end when he suddenly decided to bust out a fried chicken joke. I don't know if Mike Ross was actually eating fried chicken at the event or what, but that joke just came out of freaking nowhere and they didn't even know each other well enough for MR to just ignore the joke.

Can't find the video for some reason but it was at the end of the official interview.

I managed to track the video down and watch. It wasn't as harsh as I expected, but it was certainly dumb and irresponsible.

I agree that Laura's CA needs to be buffed or changed to something better.

It actually might be the worst in the game tbh, almost 0 utility. If you have a CA stocked with Laura, it's probably because you been gettin ya ass beat throughout the first and 2nd round without getting a chance to play

LakeEarth

I agree that Laura's CA needs to be buffed or changed to something better.

It actually might be the worst in the game tbh, almost 0 utility. If you have a CA stocked with Laura, it's probably because you been gettin ya ass beat throughout the first and 2nd round without getting a chance to play

I only ever see it used in desperation, or to finish the match after dominating so hard that she didn't have to spend any meter.

I'm not sure about worst though. You can fall out of FANGs super at some distances, but it has the advantage of being hard to punish. Alex's super seems to scale harder than others, but that might just be my imagination.

Mikas CA is mostly not needed either. You get way more usage out of her ex moves. But i dont think multiple CAs is whats needed. Would be fun but as thespoiler says, one always ends up being what everyone uses.

Would rather see addition v-skills to choose from or just other ways to use meter. Maybe use v-reversal but while getting hit uses all your bar for a guaranteed hit v-reversal to reset to neutral. Or just something that gives a new defencive options so you can get randomed out less often.

I'd be 110% on board with Mika getting a new strike-based CA if only cuz I think it's kinda BS that she's incapable of winning via chip yet her CA lacks the insanely fast startup and general utility that makes Zangief's a viable tool.

The Moonsault Press followup to her Sardine Beach Special from Alpha 3 would make for a pretty nifty CA, actually. It'd be hilarious to see the wrestling ring turnbuckle pop up in places like the Hidden Waterfall or Skies of Honour.

I'd be 110% on board with Mika getting a new strike-based CA if only cuz I think it's kinda BS that she's incapable of winning via chip yet her CA lacks the insanely fast startup and general utility that makes Zangief's a viable tool.

The Moonsault Press followup to her Sardine Beach Special from Alpha 3 would make for a pretty nifty CA, actually. It'd be hilarious to see the wrestling ring turnbuckle pop up in places like the Hidden Waterfall or Skies of Honour.
Yea not being to chip someone out with CA is kinda annoying with Laura/Mika, but both characters definitely shouldn't have a 1f start up CA because that'd be way to cheap lol

BlitzKeeg

Even the most situational of moves can seem fantastic when they actually work in that situation. Like 15-20 frames later, and that st.hk would've hit.

I know, I was just pulling
(tundra storming)
your leg :p

Dang. It looks like Capcom is still "reviewing" the dummy wakeup recordings bug.

I don't know how I'm supposed to practice Gief's Oki off of SPD without it. Does anyone know of a good method other than having the dummy just constantly mash buttons or whatever I want them to do on wakeup?

MrCarter

Man Capcom is broke, and you want them to add new CA and V triggers just take a look at MvC:i chun li face they couldn't ever hire a professional to do her face.

I don't think they are broke just thier funds are mis-managed VERY poorly. Just look at Resident Evil 7, that game clearly had the means to look and play very well. Thankfully with SFV, the animation and art direction team is much better than MvCi so we should be getting new CA's first and perhaps new Triggers in a couple years after that to keep things fresh.

I'm not sure about worst though. You can fall out of FANGs super at some distances, but it has the advantage of being hard to punish. Alex's super seems to scale harder than others, but that might just be my imagination.
With the exception of MAYBE birdie because of his shitty jump, every character can land a full jump in punish on FANG after a blocked CA. It's actually more than you can get from some other blocked CAs.

Alex's super does have pretty weird scaling. It's like the opposite of Karin's CA. It never kills when you think it will.

And FANG's CA is possibly the worst in the game, even taking into account the fact that the freeze frame happens in the middle and not the start up.

XenoRaven

I don't think they are broke just thier funds are mis-managed VERY poorly. Just look at Resident Evil 7, that game clearly had the means to look and play very well. Thankfully with SFV, the animation and art direction team is much better than MvCi so we should be getting new CA's first and perhaps new Triggers in a couple years after that to keep things fresh.
RE7 was also a very clear step down from the production value and scale of RE6.

Bob White

Peter on marvel come backs...

Someone stop this man

Yes, that's what all games needs. Random! More random. Who wants to do shit like "think" or "learn"? It's all about that getting hit in the face then going yolo! Yaaaaay. I know it's Marvel but, wtf. When did random become a fucking hyped bullet point?

Someone stop this man

Yes, that's what all games needs. Random! More random. Who wants to do shit like "think" or "learn"? It's all about that getting hit in the face then going yolo! Yaaaaay. I know it's Marvel but, wtf. When did random become a fucking hyped bullet point?

Its a casual aspect. Its Ultras, its rage arts, its some v-triggers, I think its like danger time. Its an easy mechanic to help someone who fell behind to get some decent damage and get back in the game.

Apparently Capcom fixed the battle lounge issue with the previous update and didn't bother to make a post about it anywhere..?

Communication pls

Apparently Capcom fixed the battle lounge issue with the previous update and didn't bother to make a post about it anywhere..?

Communication pls

Yeah, I tested that right after servers came up and noticed it too, but neither the US twitter, the JP twitter, or the post on CFN has mentioned that they fixed this issue.

But communication aside, that was a actually pretty fast turnaround compared to what we are used to.

If you don't say you fixed it you won't have to acknowledge it was broken.
1408.gif

Someone stop this man

The more random and unpredictable it is, the less skill becomes a factor. That means more upsets, more undeserved wins and generally way more hectic play, and uncertain outcomes. It'll be hype to watch but in no way fun to play.

EXAMPLES: Street Fighter V

Its a casual aspect. Its Ultras, its rage arts, its some v-triggers, I think its like danger time. Its an easy mechanic to help someone who fell behind to get some decent damage and get back in the game.
To be honest, I've yet to see a game implement a pure comeback mechanic and have it work perfectly.

I've always been partial to more options right from the get go (like SF Alpha, where you pick what strengths and weaknesses you have in the form of -Ism), or making it so that the player still has to earn that comeback but just helps facilitate it (more meter gain when you're down on health/characters).

Killer Instinct does exactly why most of SFV's V-Triggers should be like IMO. Like V-Triggers, you can cancel into Instinct mode from every normal and even specials (including invincible DP's). But the difference is you still have to make that instinct work FOR you. It's a pure comeback factor as you can't build instinct any other way like you can in SFV, but you still have to work for that reward.

Pompadour

Communication pls

Because 50% of the time when Capcom "fixes" something it stays broken or gets worse so they've probably learned a lesson. They'll announce they fixed Battle Lounges if they stay fixed for 6 more months.

The only thing I don't like about DBF so far is the lacking moveset. Hoping that they have a lot of command normals or something to make up for it. GG usually has a bunch'o moves.

Also I'm finally gonna fix this fucking stick. The part that's coming needs to be messed with a bit but maybe it'll work. Switching back right before EVO is gonna screw me up big time, but the pad just ain't for me.

Who am I kidding I won't get outta pools in any game!

FluxWaveZ

The only thing I don't like about DBF so far is the lacking moveset. Hoping that they have a lot of command normals or something to make up for it. GG usually has a bunch'o moves.

One of the things people are saying in impressions: https://twitter.com/koogyplz/status/874710516001722368

Coming from Persona 4 Arena and how that had a lot of flexibility with 4 buttons and simplified motions, I'm fine with it. They said that the more out there characters in terms of gameplay will be introduced later on, anyways.

Pompadour

Back to the topic of other fighting game fans propping their game up by shitting on SFV.

On Reddit I'm seeing people handwave away Tekken 7's shitty PS4 online with "SFV is worse" (it's not and arguably it never was). Regardless, I don't see the logic of this defense.

If someone really has a boner for shitting on SFV and they get called out on it, their defense is usually something like "Capcom needs to know that they fucked up and how. We're not going to get better games if Capcom doesn't hear our criticism and thinks they can get away with half-assed efforts."

Which is true and I completely agree.

However, what good does it for the game you stan to repeat "SFV did it worse." All that tells the developer is they just need to do a little better than Capcom and they're golden. Giving a developer a pass isn't how you get better games.

Back to the topic of other fighting game fans propping their game up by shitting on SFV.

On Reddit I'm seeing people handwave away Tekken 7's shitty PS4 online with "SFV is worse" (it's not and arguably it never was). Regardless, I don't see the logic of this defense.

If someone really has a boner for shitting on SFV and they get called out on it, their defense is usually something like "Capcom needs to know that they fucked up and how. We're not going to get better games if Capcom doesn't hear our criticism and thinks they can get away with half-assed efforts."

However, what good does it for the game you stan to repeat "SFV did it worse." All that tells the developer is they just need to do a little better than Capcom and they're golden. Giving a developer a pass isn't how you get better games.

Because people think shitting on another game is more important than helping their own game grow and get better. That goes for like every game. Little jabs here and there are fine, but when your forum is literally shitposting about one company, it's time to stop and think about how is this actually helping your game.

The funny thing is, all this infighting makes people inside bitter, and embarassing us infront of those looking on from the outside.My girlfriend was watching my Twitter feed erupt over MVC vs DBF and she was like "dude it's a fucking anime fighting game and a comic book fighting game who the fuck cares just play what you like". But for some reason people think chest beating is going to attract more people.

Spoilers: It won't!

One of the things people are saying in impressions: https://twitter.com/koogyplz/status/874710516001722368

Coming from Persona 4 Arena and how that had a lot of flexibility with 4 buttons and simplified motions, I'm fine with it. They said that the more out there characters in terms of gameplay will be introduced later on, anyways.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Persona. And those c.normals sound sick.

Not with that attitude.

If Abigail ain't coming out before EVO I guess I'll have to use some sleazy shit with Birdie.

zeshakag

I finally tried a character other then Ryu. I got Ed, then dropped from silver to super bronze while learning him. But now I'm at Ultra Silver, way further than I was with Ryu. Was 20 pts away from gold and got swatted the fuck down by someone wayyyy better than me. It's exciting to play gold players and learn from them. I feel like Gon arriving at Heaven's arena in HxH.

Ed is a great change of pace with Ryu. The movesets and combos feel nothing alike, and Ed is more flashy.

It's a bit noobish, but I can't believe I'm suddenly at 3900. I remember when I felt stuck at 500. I have been practicing punish combos, timing v trigger and starting to learn some dash cross ups. I'm starting to see my opponents meaty tactics better, can tech most throws now, and can confirm more combos. The journey has been fun so far, and I'm glad I found a character that I like more than Ryu.

BlitzKeeg

The funny thing is, all this infighting makes people inside bitter, and embarassing us infront of those looking on from the outside.My girlfriend was watching my Twitter feed erupt over MVC vs DBF and she was like "dude it's a fucking anime fighting game and a comic book fighting game who the fuck cares just play what you like". But for some reason people think chest beating is going to attract more people.

Spoilers: It won't!

That's so true. For people outside of gaming, looking at common discussions must be like landing on another planet.

In the words of someone I forget: "What if it's just a video game?"

This console wars type rhetoric doesn't help anybody and might turn off people who are thinking about getting into fighting games because they think it's fanboy-laden and aggressive.

Right now is a great time for fighting games since we have so much variety and people are starting to care more about them, which means more and better games for everyone.

Lulubop

Lucebuce has become just as bad as Kingbroly or Zombegoast. I thought he was moving on to Injustice 2.

That's so true. For people outside of gaming, looking at common discussions must be like landing on another planet.

In the words of someone I forget: "What if it's just a video game?"

This console wars type rhetoric doesn't help anybody and might turn off people who are thinking about getting into fighting games because they think it's fanboy-laden and aggressive.

Right now is a great time for fighting games since we have so much variety and people are starting to care more about them, which means more and better games for everyone.

I think we are about to face a huge issue with all these fighting games coming out, and the best way to deal with it is to support the scene, the games we love, and play what we like. Then we can start focusing on retention and how to draw in new players by making good content and just being all around nice. Fighting games take a ton of commitment time so it's harder to convince people to stick around.

Once people see infighting, it drives them away. Like KOF comes out on PC soon (or did it already? I haven't checked Steam), and people should be trying to get new players in since it's a big chance to do so. Instead it's just the usual shitposting. People are focused on the wrong things.

QUOTE=zeshakag;240862957]I finally tried a character other then Ryu. I got Ed, then dropped from silver to super bronze while learning him. But now I'm at Ultra Silver, way further than I was with Ryu. Was 20 pts away from gold and got swatted the fuck down by someone wayyyy better than me. It's exciting to play gold players and learn from them. I feel like Gon arriving at Heaven's arena in HxH.

Ed is a great change of pace with Ryu. The movesets and combos feel nothing alike, and Ed is more flashy.

It's a bit noobish, but I can't believe I'm suddenly at 3900. I remember when I felt stuck at 500. I have been practicing punish combos, timing v trigger and starting to learn some dash cross ups. I'm starting to see my opponents meaty tactics better, can tech most throws now, and can confirm more combos. The journey has been fun so far, and I'm glad I found a character that I like more than Ryu.[/QUOTE]

That's the best feeling my dude. Congrats.

Top Bottom