• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

BlitzKeeg

Lucebuce has become just as bad as Kingbroly or Zombegoast. I thought he was moving on to Injustice 2.

I always got the feeling he was doing out of a place of love.

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread loves the game, but is just annoyed at the more egregious aspects.

Kashiwaba

Man in my whole life i never wanted to see a game get delayed as much as I'm wanting MvC:i to get delayed. This game can benefit a lot from 3 or 4 months delay but somehow seems capcom is insisting on repeating SFV tragedy.

I finally tried a character other then Ryu. I got Ed, then dropped from silver to super bronze while learning him. But now I'm at Ultra Silver, way further than I was with Ryu. Was 20 pts away from gold and got swatted the fuck down by someone wayyyy better than me. It's exciting to play gold players and learn from them. I feel like Gon arriving at Heaven's arena in HxH.

Ed is a great change of pace with Ryu. The movesets and combos feel nothing alike, and Ed is more flashy.

It's a bit noobish, but I can't believe I'm suddenly at 3900. I remember when I felt stuck at 500. I have been practicing punish combos, timing v trigger and starting to learn some dash cross ups. I'm starting to see my opponents meaty tactics better, can tech most throws now, and can confirm more combos. The journey has been fun so far, and I'm glad I found a character that I like more than Ryu.
There's definitely something awesome about seeing yourself git gud. I was stuck at scrub level for like a year, then I started studying Itabashi, SnakeEyez and Stupendous and started putting in more work in practice. I still get bodied by smurfs people who know what they're doing and have better fundamentals, but it's definitely cool.

Pompadour

Because people think shitting on another game is more important than helping their own game grow and get better. That goes for like every game. Little jabs here and there are fine, but when your forum is literally shitposting about one company, it's time to stop and think about how is this actually helping your game.

The funny thing is, all this infighting makes people inside bitter, and embarassing us infront of those looking on from the outside.My girlfriend was watching my Twitter feed erupt over MVC vs DBF and she was like "dude it's a fucking anime fighting game and a comic book fighting game who the fuck cares just play what you like". But for some reason people think chest beating is going to attract more people.

Spoilers: It won't!

The thing that probably irritates me the most (or at least causes me to post the most) is when a game becomes the whipping boy (SFV) you can say whatever shit you want because people probably won't disagree with you, including shit that isn't true. People claimed that Xrd and KOF's netcodes were better than SFV and my only guess to how they got to that insane opinion is that it was bullshit they don't expect to get called out on. Who knows if these people even played the games their talking about before they formed their opinions. Imagine if all the people who pumped up KOF hoping it would knock SFV's dick in the dirt went out and actually bought the game instead of moving onto the next game to dethrone SFV when that didn't pan out.

I buy nearly every major fighting game at launch and a lot of these opinions don't reflect anything I'm seeing. SFV is bad enough that there's no need to lie about it or other fighting games. Let Capcom embarass themselves. They're better at it than anyone else.

FluxWaveZ

Man in my whole life i never wanted to see a game get delayed as much as I'm wanting MvC:i to get delayed. This game can benefit a lot from 3 or 4 months delay but somehow seems capcom is insisting on repeating SFV tragedy.

It's certainly a weird feeling to have, where I'd actually have a positive reaction to a delay instead of a neutral/negative one. It's what happens when you see an undercooked meal and really think it should be put in the oven for longer.

Pompadour

Lucebuce is fine. This is the natural result of him learning that Capcom inflicted him with Stockholm Syndrome for all of Season 1.

This would be great but they'd have to be really committed to fixing shit. A lot of the game's issues are "throw away and start over" issues like the UI. The game needs another year and a massive cash injection to get it where people want.

The thing that probably irritates me the most (or at least causes me to post the most) is when a game becomes the whipping boy (SFV) you can say whatever shit you want because people probably won't disagree with you, including shit that isn't true. People claimed that Xrd and KOF's netcodes were better than SFV and my only guess to how they got to that insane opinion is that it was bullshit they don't expect to get called out on. Who knows if these people even played the games their talking about before they formed their opinions. Imagine if all the people who pumped up KOF hoping it would knock SFV's dick in the dirt went out and actually bought the game instead of moving onto the next game to dethrone SFV when that didn't pan out.

I buy nearly every major fighting game at launch and a lot of these opinions don't reflect anything I'm seeing. SFV is bad enough that there's no need to lie about it or other fighting games. Let Capcom embarass themselves. They're better at it than anyone else.

Exactly. I want better products across the board. It helps no one to swipe that shit under the rug.

I'm mostly annoyed by people dismissing anyone that's positive.
I mean yipes seems to genuinly enjoy what he's sampled so far with mvci, but nah he's just a shill.

Pompadour

I mean yipes seems to genuinly enjoy what he's sampled so far with mvci, but nah he's just a shill.

The shill shit is incredibly dumb. Look at Chun-Li's face. Clearly they don't have the cash for a Shill Discretionary Fund.

FluxWaveZ

The shill shit is incredibly dumb. Look at Chun-Li's face. Clearly they don't have the cash for a Shill Discretionary Fund.

I disagree. While it might not be as exaggerated as some people claim it is, I think this is a very real thing. When it comes to invitationals like ELEAGUE, behind closed doors demos, or other perks the FGC illuminati get, Capcom won't be choosing people who smack talk them or compare their games negatively to other games.

It's not just about a direct exchange of money, but the opportunities they get down the line. If one is too outspoken about criticisms they have with Capcom's games compared to the competition, Capcom has no reason to pander to them over someone who would rather only say positive things about them.

But you're not a shill just because not everyone likes, or dislikes, it equally.
If they invite someone who's positive about the game it's not shilling.

Pompadour

I disagree. While it might not be as exaggerated as some people claim it is, I think this is a very real thing. When it comes to invitationals like ELEAGUE, behind closed doors demos, or other perks the FGC illuminati get, Capcom won't be choosing people who smack talk them or compare their games negatively to other games.

It's not just about a direct exchange of money, but the opportunities they get down the line. If one is too outspoken about criticisms they have with Capcom's games compared to the competition, Capcom has no reason to pander to them over someone who would rather only say positive things about them.

But SFV pros shit on the game all the time and still get these perks. Maybe it has some impact, sure, but I really doubt it changes these players' behaviors.

If Wong or Fchamp are shilling for MvCI, it's because they want people to play the game they're good at so they can collect their entry fees. I don't think it's because they're afraid of Capcom.

For alot of people,they support other's opinions that back up their negative one. Any other? shill.

It can go reverse too. Everybody is just hating. I wish people would be more open minded and less hyperbolic about things. UltraChen was talking about this on their show this week. It's either the best ever or the worst ever. No middle ground or discussion.

FluxWaveZ

But SFV pros shit on the game all the time and still get these perks. Maybe it has some impact, sure, but I really doubt it changes these players' behaviors.

If Wong or Fchamp are shilling for MvCI, it's because they want people to play the game they're good at so they can collect their entry fees. I don't think it's because they're afraid of Capcom.

I think it's a mix of multiple factors. Like, I believe Punk has been outspoken about problems he has with SFV for a long while now, but he is also one of the best players in the world so he would certainly still get those perks because of his skill. But would people like Gilty or LI Joe still have gotten the opportunity for ELEAGUE if they were talking about SFV like it was garbage until that point? I dunno.

But, again, I don't know if it's as big an issue as some make it sound like it is. People have their own motives, and I do think some notable figures out there have been fixated on the positives without paying regard to the negatives or the competition. I generally trust people who take a critical stance, while also acknowledging the positives, because they're the ones who seem the most invested in wanting to see a game improve or be the best it can be, instead of having hidden intentions.

Edzi

I think it's a mix of multiple factors. Like, I believe Punk has been outspoken about problems he has with SFV for a long while now, but he is also one of the best players in the world so he would certainly still get those perks because of his skill. But would people like Gilty or LI Joe still have gotten the opportunity for ELEAGUE if they were talking about SFV like it was garbage until that point? I dunno.

But, again, I don't know if it's as big an issue as some make it sound like it is. People have their own motives, and I do think some notable figures out there have been fixated on the positives without paying regard to the negatives or the competition. I generally trust people who take a critical stance, while also acknowledging the positives, because they're the ones who seem the most invested in wanting to see a game improve or be the best it can be, instead of having hidden intentions.

Yeah, it's more complicated than some people are making it sound. Yipes is cool and I don't doubt his sincerity, but I don't think he'd badmouth the game after being invited to play it on stream. He could just be focusing on the positives and staying silent on the negatives. Also, I wouldn't put it past someone like FChamp to play up his hype for MvCi to spite SFV.

Sayad

UltraChen was talking about this on their show this week. It's either the best ever or the worst ever. No middle ground or discussion.
Most of the negativity I've seen toward MvCI was about Chun's face and there's really no middle ground there, it's by far the worst she have ever looked.

Pompadour

I think Capcom picked several players for Eleague for diversity or personality reasons (which is fine, it's not Capcom Cup). Gootecks would have never been selected if skill was the only factor. LI Joe was cemented after his showing last Evo (he's extremely lovable).

In my opinion, Capcom picked a healthy mix of people that are the best at SFV and people who are only great at SFV but are more entertaining. They did that to help sell watching pro play as a form of entertainment.

Edit: Look at that SFxT reality show Capcom did. They certainly didn't pick only the best SF and Tekken players out there.

FluxWaveZ

I think Capcom picked several players for Eleague for diversity or personality reasons (which is fine, it's not Capcom Cup). Gootecks would have never been selected if skill was the only factor. LI Joe was cemented after his showing last Evo (he's extremely lovable).

In my opinion, Capcom picked a healthy mix of people that are the best at SFV and people who are only great at SFV but are more entertaining. They did that to help sell watching pro play as a form of entertainment.

Edit: Look at that SFxT reality show Capcom did. They certainly didn't pick only the best SF and Tekken players out there.

I was going to say "but what if Gootecks had been talking mess about SFV until ELEAGUE," but I guess he's been all over the place with his opinions towards the game, hasn't he? Either way, ELEAGUE is one thing, but the overall opportunities Capcom will give is another.

No idea about the SFxT thing. But like I said above, it's because it's not just about one's skill level that how one is perceived by the community and how they, in turn, respond to Capcom's games informs Capcom's own decisions, at least somewhat.

Ucchedavāda;240874233 said:
Do we know that it was Capcom that picked the representatives for ELeague?

I don't know for ELEAGUE, but isn't that "left behind guy" an official Capcom eSports representative who is responsible for these kinds of deals? He'd be someone who has influence on choosing the pro players and FGC members to represent their games in these events.

The concept of shilling for MVC is really dumb. I was gonna right a cute little article but I don't feel like getting pounded in the comments section by a bunch of angry nerds so I'll leave it on a more sensible website like this one.

Capcom didn't pick them to shill a product to you. They picked them because they are community leaders.

"Well what's the difference?"

It means they got a bunch of people who aren't complete fuckheads. Champ and Justin have shitposted about SFV and even Marvel. They still support their scene and still like the game. But both are honest about what they play. Yeah, they might like the game more than the average person, and Yipes especially, but both have been pretty upfront about Marvel shit.

"B-b-but I saw them with John D!"

Pro players get invited to play games all the time before release. It happened with Injustice 2, it happened with Tekken (well, kinda off base with this one since the game was out in arcades but whatever!), it happened with SFV (where Art got to play Kolin before release yet he shits on the game constantly), etc. And are they there because it's a secret meeting where they are plotting how to sell you Marvel? Probably not, because...

"Wait a minute, how do I know they aren't shilling the game and won't continue to do so after release!?!?"

Here's the thing - before E3, we got the story mode demo. Yeah the graphics are butthole, but everyone can try out the game and form their own opinions. Then people were able to play it on the showroom floor. THEN people were allowed to upload all these videos of busted ass shit without worry. We already have an opinion of the game. We can play it right now. Influences work far better when consumers don't have access to the product. That's why it's more suspect when a streamer gets the game early. Because all we can do is watch them play and gush about the game. Sure, influencers and shills can sorta sway some opinions, but it works better when the consumer doesn't have access to the game. Ah, but we do.

Even more to the point, it wouldn't be a good idea to wine and dine them too much in front of a community that would notice. If MVCI comes out and it sucks dick on the gameplay side, no amount of Justin Wong's "shilling" is going to do anything for the game. Wong's word loses power, and therefore people stop listening to him. It's better to just let them form their own opinions and speak on their own terms.

Maybe those who got invited are still high from playing a game they enjoy, just like GAF is every single time a game drops. I'm sure more things about the game will come out that they didn't like. Hell, other Marvel heads are already posting about things they don't enjoy right now. I think Kinderparty got invited to the meeting or whatever as well. But that's just them being gamers.

Point is, there are no shills in this situation, just people who might be overexcited about video games. There's no reason to shill, because we can play the game, and if it was super shit, we can call them out on it. From a marketing perspective, it'd be real dumb to have them shill anyway, since the consumer is able to access a demo and the super sleuths of the FGC would sniff out contradictions anyway.

From, an actual marketer.

By the way, let's list off the people who have talked shit about SFV and still got in Eleague.
Glity
FChamp
Justin Wong
Alex Valle (about Ryu)
Gamerbee
Phenom
Kbrad (openly says he likes 4 more)
Gootecks (constant 8frames memes)
Wolfkrone
Punk
Chris T
Riki
Luffy

Capcom doesn't give a shit if you blast them. So long as you aren't doing it 24/7, you commit to your community, and are a player spending time with the game.

JusDoIt

Everybody knows Capcom ain't got money, which is why the games have been so janky, and yet everybody also thinks Capcom got enough money to pay people to say nice things about their games.

vulva

I will say that the game looked nicer in person than in the videos I've seen. It could just be me being crazy or the actual lighting in e3 affecting things, but it looked better than the home story demo did. It wasn't gorgeous or anything, but it looked okayish.

Didn't play, though, because fuck waiting in line for like 90 minutes to play a game for like 3 minutes.

myco666

After checking who are going to play at Dreamhack Summer I wish I bought tickets. Maybe next year.

I finally tried a character other then Ryu. I got Ed, then dropped from silver to super bronze while learning him. But now I'm at Ultra Silver, way further than I was with Ryu. Was 20 pts away from gold and got swatted the fuck down by someone wayyyy better than me. It's exciting to play gold players and learn from them. I feel like Gon arriving at Heaven's arena in HxH.

Ed is a great change of pace with Ryu. The movesets and combos feel nothing alike, and Ed is more flashy.

It's a bit noobish, but I can't believe I'm suddenly at 3900. I remember when I felt stuck at 500. I have been practicing punish combos, timing v trigger and starting to learn some dash cross ups. I'm starting to see my opponents meaty tactics better, can tech most throws now, and can confirm more combos. The journey has been fun so far, and I'm glad I found a character that I like more than Ryu.

Congrats! Climbing those ranks feels so good when you are learning to play. Also I feel like playing Ryu is the hard mode. Everyone and their mother knows how to deal with him.

You're right, I'll stop posting then.

But I need you :(

Edzi

I will say that the game looked nicer in person than in the videos I've seen. It could just be me being crazy or the actual lighting in e3 affecting things, but it looked better than the home story demo did. It wasn't gorgeous or anything, but it looked okayish.

Didn't play, though, because fuck waiting in line for like 90 minutes to play a game for like 3 minutes.

I've heard a few other people say that the vs demo build at e3 looked and felt better than the story demo build, so that could be it.

Yeah, the story build is probably older. I think the floor one is basically the final game. But the UI and models still need to be fixed, as does some of the animations (namely, Chun Li)

Edzi

Yeah, the story build is probably older. I think the floor one is basically the final game. But the UI and models still need to be fixed, as does some of the animations (namely, Chun Li)

Chun doesn't need an animation fix, she needs a new model. Everything about her is off, from her face to her limbs.

Kashiwaba

You're right, I'll stop posting then.

need-pR8zHItvQDvBC

Hey, you guys didn't actually think I was gonna stop posting :D

In regards to the MvC:I situation, Max pointed out something pretty important in his video. He said that the representatives from Capcpom and Marvel were there asking the people who played the demo for their opinions. If almost everyone mirrors the same opinion that the game plays great but doesn't look so hot, then Marvel will hopefully put more pressure on Capcpom to fix this.

To be honest, I still think that the game is gonna be delayed. But by a month at least.
I still don't get why they decided to make E3 open to the public and not make appropriate accommodations for the members of the press.

BlitzKeeg

I think it's marvel that wants this shit out soon. We will see though.

I'd like it to be delayed for polish as well because Capcom could really use a home run right now, but it's tough to tell if it'll happen.

Did Capcom really learn enough from the SFV launch? Is Marvel willing to delay in order to keep their brand in high standing? Does Sony have a say in this and want to get the game out within a certain timeline?

There's a lot of factors and I hope it comes out okay.

then Marvel will hopefully put more pressure on Capcpom to fix this.

This doesn't make much sense, anything going into a marvel game has to go throuh marvel approval. And we already know that SF5 would've been released later if it wasn't for the Sony push.

If anyone wants the game out as fast as possible it's marvel.

This doesn't make much sense, anything going into a marvel game has to go throuh marvel approval. And we already know that SF5 would've been released later if it wasn't for the Sony push.

If anyone wants the game out as fast as possible it's marvel.
If that's the case, then hopefully Marvel realizes rushing this game isn't going to do them any favours and lets it stew.

Faults and all, I can't stop playing this game, it's just my go to game all the time. I'd like to get hype over Guilty Gear, Tekken or some other fighter, but it's just not happening. I feel like an oddball.

Skilletor

Are you watching Kai or Abridged? Because otherwise it's just way too long to sit through as an adult.

Kai.

I'm at the Vegeta/Goku fight and this shit draaaaaaaaaaaaaaags.

Faults and all, I can't stop playing this game, it's just my go to game all the time. I'd like to get hype over Guilty Gear, Tekken or some other fighter, but it's just not happening. I feel like an oddball.

You're not an oddball. The SF style of gameplay isn't represented anywhere else. It's why it remains one of the most popular fighting games. There's nowhere to go to scratch the SF itch but SF.

Kai.

Chances are if you're not liking this show by now, you're probably not gonna grow to like it further on lol.

Though I will say that the Frieza arc is considered by many to be the best arc/saga of the show but I'm not gonna ask you to keep watching if you just don't enjoy it.

Not even kidding, once you get a feel for the characters and their general personality then just watch the Abridged version. It's funnier, short as hell and is still a decent way to catch up on stuff if you don't give that much of a shit about the original content. The voice acting is also surprisingly good.

There's nothing wrong with that, SF is still the biggest 2D fighting game franchise for a reason. There really is nothing like SF out there.

But I do feel like people should still give other franchises a shot. There's nothing wrong with preferring SF over Guilty Gear, Tekken, Marvel, BlazBlue, KoF, Dead or Alive, etc, etc as long as you actually tried out those games and came to a conclusion that you didn't enjoy them as much.

Edzi

Kai.

You're not an oddball. The SF style of gameplay isn't represented anywhere else. It's why it remains one of the most popular fighting games. There's nowhere to go to scratch the SF itch but SF.

Either watch highlights/main fights, play some of the video games (budokai 1 has decent cutscenes), or watch the abridged series on youtube for a comedic spin. All you really need to know are who the characters are, and how some of the cooler fights went down.

Kai.

If you think Vegeta vs goku, one of the highest points in the entire anime, drags even in the cut down version of Kai
(saiyan saga can only be truly experience in ocean dub obv)
, you should just stop watching right now, it's not going to get much better at all.

Lulubop

Kai.

For any long ass Shonen, i'd just read the Manga.

Top Bottom