• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Fuck Nash is kinda fun.

Nah don't do this to me character crisis we agreed on just sticking to Birdie unless Abigail hits.

Not before the fucking tournament that is EVO.

Bob White

I disagree. While it might not be as exaggerated as some people claim it is, I think this is a very real thing. When it comes to invitationals like ELEAGUE, behind closed doors demos, or other perks the FGC illuminati get, Capcom won't be choosing people who smack talk them or compare their games negatively to other games.

It's not just about a direct exchange of money, but the opportunities they get down the line. If one is too outspoken about criticisms they have with Capcom's games compared to the competition, Capcom has no reason to pander to them over someone who would rather only say positive things about them.

No one can ever convince me that the white list isn't/wasn't real. Not even joking, I'm still salty about certain people easily getting into the betas.

Pompadour

I'd like it to be delayed for polish as well because Capcom could really use a home run right now, but it's tough to tell if it'll happen.

Did Capcom really learn enough from the SFV launch? Is Marvel willing to delay in order to keep their brand in high standing? Does Sony have a say in this and want to get the game out within a certain timeline?

There's a lot of factors and I hope it comes out okay.

I think Capcom knew releasing SFV in that state would be bad but it made more financial sense to do so anyway. I think it's a similar situation here. Delay the game and potentially get more sales and keep the brand healthy or release it now to have something for the quarter, keep the esports plan running on time, etc.

I think Capcom knew releasing SFV in that state would be bad but it made more financial sense to do so anyway. I think it's a similar situation here. Delay the game and potentially get more sales and keep the brand healthy or release it now to have something for the quarter, keep the esports plan running on time, etc.
Well delaying software/games in general is expensive so when people say "just delay it", it's not that easy of a decision. Gotta factor in extra dev time vs loss of sales and Capcom clearly got that cost benefit analysis wrong...

DunpealD

So it looks like after the new CFN Update the matchmaking has gotten worse or SFV is bleeding players.
When I tried to play ranked using the passive search function it never found anybody within 15 minutes, which might been the time but usually it never happened before even at the same timeframe.

And today I tried it again and it took like 3-5 minutes before getting a match, which was never the case before.

So SFVs biggest strength of having fast matches seems kinda busted now too. Also I'm starting to have less fun with it, due to it being 50/50 heavy and a myriad of other things.
I find it kinda hard to believe, but I think the current SFV is the first SF I'm starting to dislike. Even SFIV was less frustrating and at least had Sagat.

I guess it's time to shelve SFV, outside of FM grinding and a few casual matches. I hope they change it up in Season 3.

The amount of Akumas, Ryus and Kens that just do ex dps that hit me because .. why the fuck would they dp there, is kinda crazy lol.

Edit.

And yeah something is odd about matchmaking recently. Bars mean literally nothing any more, setting it to find matches while in menus / training finds nothing but selecting casual match finds some. Battle lounges from Europe are non existent.

Dunno whats happened but it sucks.

vulva

To be honest, I still think that the game is gonna be delayed. But by a month at least.
I still don't get why they decided to make E3 open to the public and not make appropriate accommodations for the members of the press.

I've always been a second class e3 goer anyways as a dev, so I guess I should just be happy there were groups of people even more looked down upon than me this time.

MrCarter

Are we posting random gifs?
MaleSeriousAsiandamselfly.gif

I hope this game stays relevant but I have a feeling people might drop it like the last BIG IP that became a fighting game: Pokken.

I hope this game stays relevant but I have a feeling people might drop it like the last BIG IP that became a fighting game: Pokken.
DBF has the massive benefit of actually being a competitive fighting game.

When they revealed Pokken was an arena fighter my interest for that dropped like Rock Tomb.

Skilletor

I think it's disingenuous to compare what is essentially an arena fighter to a 2D fighter made by one of the best in the business, coupled with one of the most historical and popular franchises, not only in the world, but within the FGC.

And also to compare that Arena fighter that was released on one of the least popular consoles in the past decade to a fighter that's going to be released on one of the most popular, PC and XB1.

The only way this doesn't blow up is if it's as unbalanced as, like, HnK.

Lol Pokken came out Wii U. And you needed two systems to play someone else without using the Wii U tablet.

This game has the IP, its multiplatform, it has the graphics, it has the gameplay. The only thing stopping this game could be lack of modes and garbage online. Though it will definitely have a place in tournaments.

Lol Pokken came out Wii U. And you needed two systems to play someone else without using the Wii U tablet.

This game has the IP, its multiplatform, it has the graphics, it has the gameplay. The only thing stopping this game could be lack of modes and garbage online. Though it will definitely have a place in tournaments.
2p on a single system was 30fps too, lol.

MrCarter

I think this game will sell on par with an nrs title. I think the player base will at least be comparable to prime marvel.

It's possible. The only NRS game which sold very well (for a fighting game) thus far has been MKX, and that game also had a LOT of casual junk, an accessible control system and a full blown cinematic story mode, so they will have to do quite a bit to compete. Let's hope the IP is strong enough to carry it like the Xenoverse games.

Spman2099

You guys are right. DBF does have a LOT going for it so hopefully there will be a scene and not just die down like KOF14.

The problem is, KoF 14, as much as it has going for it, has some problems. Plays fairly well, but still feels like a downgrade from KoF 13. Great cast of characters, but they don't look great. People talked big when it was first releasing, but I always felt like it was mainly bluster. People were protesting SFV in the same way people try to make their significant others jealous.

DBFZ, on the other hand, looks amazing. I think the hype is more sincere. Who knows, maybe they will do something terribly wrong, but at the moment everything is looking great for DBFZ.

Sayad

Pokken turned into the most played arena fighter ever by the FGC in the west despite being on WiiU, it's really silly to imply that big IPs don't help while using Pokken as an example!

Pokken turned into the most played arena fighter ever by the FGC in the west despite being on WiiU, it's really silly to imply that big IPs don't help while using Pokken as an example!

What other arena fighters exist though? Gundam Versus is coming out to the West finally, and Arms, but none of those were around Pokken's time.

MrCarter

Pokken turned into the most played arena fighter ever by the FGC in the west, it's really silly to imply that big IPs don't help while using Pokken as an example!

Is it really though? Over the past year I haven't seen Pokken played in hardly any events and I actually remember people white knighting the game as a SFV "killer" too. DBF is that 3v3 itch that some FGC people want to scratch, so I can definitely see that lasting longer.

Sayad

What other arena fighters exist though? Gundam Versus is coming out to the West finally, and Arms, but none of those were around Pokken's time.
We had tones of anime fighters, since PS2 days, arena fighter is probably the most genre used for fighting themed anime adaptations. One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Jojo, Gundam, FF:Dessidia...

DBFZ has both of the things Pokken had going around for it, big IP and being made with competitiveness in mind, and on top of that, it's in the FGC's favorite type of FG, 2D.

Is it really though? Over the past year I haven't seen Pokken played in hardly any events and I actually remember people white knighting the game as a SFV "killer" too. DBF is that 3v3 itch that people some FGC people want to scratch, so I can definitely see that lasting longer.
What arena fighter got played more than Pokken in the west?! It has more entrants than KI, KoFXIV and BlazBlue at CEO this weekend.

We had tones of anime fighters, since PS2 days, arena fighter is probably the most genre used for fighting themed anime adaptations. One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Jojo, Gundam, FF:Dessidia...

DBFZ has both of the things Pokken had going around for it, big IP and being made with competitiveness in mind, and on top of that, it in the FGC's favorite type of FG, 2D.

What arena fighter got played more than Pokken in the west?! It has more entrants than KI, KoFXIV and BlazBlue at CEO this weekend.

I was talking about current games. Current arena games.

OP, DB, and Naruto are pretty busted games IIRC. Jojo is SUPER busted and has too many things that stop it from being competitive.

Gundam wasn't released in the west. It would smoke most games in terms of entrants if it was, since it's huge in Japan. And since you said "west" I don't know why it's in that list.

Dissida is a PSP game, so of course it won't be popular.

Sayad

I was talking about current games. Current arena games.

OP, DB, and Naruto are pretty busted games IIRC. Jojo is SUPER busted and has too many things that stop it from being competitive.

Gundam wasn't released in the west. It would smoke most games in terms of entrants if it was, since it's huge in Japan. And since you said "west" I don't know why it's in that list.

Dissida is a PSP game, so of course it won't be popular.
Other than Pokken, Dissidia is probably the arena fighter I've seen get the most attention in the west.

Didn't know Gundam was never released outside Japan, but still, PS3 import version barely got any play at all, don't see the western release getting anywhere near Pokken's numbers.

Other than Pokken, Dissidia is probably the arena fighter I've seen get the most attention in the west.

Didn't know Gundam was never released outside Japan, but still, PS3 import version barely got any play at all, don't see the western release getting anywhere near Pokken's numbers.

Of course it didn't. The arcade version, which sits in the top three spots for most played games at the arcade (along with Tekken), was way ahead of Full Boost. Maxi Boost came out shortly after the console version was released and made that shit relevant.

But one unfed version will bring people home more often.

And really, it all depends on how TOs handle Gundam. Each player needs an entire setup to their own. Pokken needs half that. Logistically speaking, it'll be harder to host games, meaning less players coming out in general.

Kashiwaba

SFV match making is taking forever and T7 match making is taking eternity :(, I think I'm not going to play any fights today sigh, i guess i will play Nioh.

DunpealD

DBFZ has both of the things Pokken had going around for it, big IP and being made with competitiveness in mind, and on top of that, it's in the FGC's favorite type of FG, 2D.

Arena fighters are close to non-existent in the west. Pokken being the most played one is kinda a no brainer, since it's like the only real true and tried competitive arena fighter available.

Pokken having a lot of entries doesn't surprise me. Because it's close to never being in a tournament lineup, which makes CEO like the only big Pokken Tournament. I think it's case is comparable to Skullgirls and DoA, i.e. not enough players to put them into every tournament.

Of course it didn't. The arcade version, which sits in the top three spots for most played games at the arcade (along with Tekken), was way ahead of Full Boost. Maxi Boost came out shortly after the console version was released and made that shit relevant.

But one unfed version will bring people home more often.

And really, it all depends on how TOs handle Gundam. Each player needs an entire setup to their own. Pokken needs half that. Logistically speaking, it'll be harder to host games, meaning less players coming out in general.

You'll have to admit that Gundam Versus becoming a tournament game mainstay is most probably wishful thinking. So far there is no news about a LAN mode, making internet connection mandatory and the requirement of 4 setups is horrifying. At best it will be like Pokken with one or two big Tournaments where players decide to collectively go to.
It's not even clear whether they developed it as a tournament game or not.
DBFZ got at least acknowledgment that it's aimed at the FGC.

They basically said they are eyeing the esports market. And yeah, without LAN and going ridiculous with the setups, it's going to be hard to get that game to be popular anywhere outside the online space.

The game is a month away from shipping. If anyone wants to talk about a fighter being fucked on release in the competitive field, Gundam Versus makes a good damn poster boy. Kind of the game's fault, kind of not.

I mean, 99% sure they are not thinking tournament play in Gundam when making it. Specifically for the FGC events around the world that is.

But the whole project probably never had the thought about how to make it convenient for a console based tournament in a foreign country that does not have arcades/wants to take it serious. Expecting them to make features for that... not likely.

Love me some Gundam vs. but a tourney game it is not. You can set up an event for it but like we know its a cumbersome task.

vulva

I'm going to do so bad this evo. First time not having an offline scene to play with in a year now. I'm just some trash online scrub now.

DunpealD

They basically said they are eyeing the esports market. And yeah, without LAN and going ridiculous with the setups, it's going to be hard to get that game to be popular anywhere outside the online space.

The game is a month away from shipping. If anyone wants to talk about a fighter being fucked on release in the competitive field, Gundam Versus makes a good damn poster boy. Kind of the game's fault, kind of not.

Imagine them making 3v3 tournament standard. 6 setups! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Though tbh. Dissidia NT is in the same boat. 3v3 which means most probably 6 setups.
So yeah, arena fighters got one hell of a hill to climb. Even more difficult without support from the devs/pubs.

Out of all games Pokken is still the lesser Evil.
While we are talking about Pokken, I'm a little bit interested on how they are going to solve the Switch setups. If there are any plans for it. Are they just going to put the docks there for players to put their Switch in?

Back to topic. Who is expecting an announcement at CEO?

Top Bottom