• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

No character trailer or teaser?
Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

FACE

Banned
I don't know why people are so obsessed wiht invincible AAs. they were obviously overpowered, were invincible in situations that were not anti air, and made jumping a way too bad proposition.

SFV has some defensive problems, but AAs have needed to get got for decades

They shouldn't nerf DPs because your dumb ass can't play without jumping

FluxWaveZ

Delayed updates, 3 costumes at E3 (which haven't even been given a release date), nothing at CEO. Well, it's not surprising. But that's the sad part.

ElFly

They shouldn't nerf DPs because your dumb ass can't play without jumping
why would you design a game with jumping if jumping is a bad move? that's just bad design overall

DPs now are invincible against air attacks. that's all they need

everything else was just a cheap get out of jail card

Delayed updates, 3 costumes at E3 (which haven't even been given a release date), nothing at CEO. Well, it's not surprising. But that's the sad part.
It's seriously unreal how hard they consistently shit the bed at managing this stuff. I like the game so much, but there are things that should have been quickly resolved months ago, hell, a week after launch, that we're still waiting on.

Bob White

I could have swore Spoiler said there would be a reveal at CEO. mmm, maybe I'm wrong. He's always so certain. Reminds me of us nintendo fans randomly going "metroid at this year's E3! all the signs are there!!" with no fucking proof what so ever.

Anyways, that last page...the whole "the better you are at the game the more you hate it". I, and I'm not trying to shit on anyone's skill, generally believe that's true. When I hit Diamond, and started getting matched with higher and higher folks, I just...didn't like the game I was seeing. Shit ain't fun. Shit, I haven't played in 3 fucking weeks. It's just so much work can go into neutral only to get blown up by vtrigg...yada yada yada

Long story short, F Champ was spot on with "marvel with lag". And I'm not really down to keep playing marvel with none of the defensive options.

Producer

Yeah thats what im getting at, capcom is just doing a terrible job at getting us hyped for its anniversary. The ball was dropped, hard

Long story short, F Champ was spot on with "marvel with lag". And I'm not really down to keep playing marvel with none of the defensive options.

He said sfv was like marvel with lag? If only..lol.

MrCarter

It's seriously unreal how hard they consistently shit the bed at managing this stuff. I like the game so much, but there are things that should have been quickly resolved months ago, hell, a week after launch, that we're still waiting on.

I think Capcom Japan really fucks up Capcom USA's management because seem to be holding most of the cards.

FACE

Banned
why would you design a game with jumping if jumping is a bad move? that's just bad design overall

DPs now are invincible against air attacks. that's all they need

everything else was just a cheap get out of jail card

Jumping is not bad, it's just risky because the reward you get from jumping is high. That's good game design.

DPs were a get out of jail card in a game were you can eat 35% damage/50% stun combos? Yeah sure buddy.

NERF
GIEF

I just found out today that Gief's new counter grab works against Nash's MK.Sonic Scythe. That was one of three of my main tools against him and I'm at least 90% against all Giefs I have ever played. As crazy as it sounds, the match up is so bad, I'm confident my sorry ass could beat Snake Eyes' and Itazan's Gief.

Well I was. I'm not so sure now.

ElFly

Jumping is not bad, it's just risky because the reward you get from jumping is high. That's good game design.

DPs were a get out of jail card in a game were you can eat 35% damage/50% stun combos? Yeah sure buddy.

we were talking mostly about dps in earlier games, among them sf2

I mean, those games had some insane combos as well, AND dps were crazy powerful

again, the problem is not that much the AA but the rest of the properties. now they are ok

I just found out today that Gief's new counter grab works against Nash's MK.Sonic Scythe. That was one of three of my main tools against him and I'm at least 90% against all Giefs I have ever played. As crazy as it sounds, the match up is so bad, I'm confident my sorry ass could beat Snake Eyes' and Itazan's Gief.

the new counter grab is a p hard read. snake eyes didn't use it actually that I saw in the last match

I could have swore Spoiler said there would be a reveal at CEO. mmm, maybe I'm wrong. He's always so certain. Reminds me of us nintendo fans randomly going "metroid at this year's E3! all the signs are there!!" with no fucking proof what so ever.

Nah fam if you are gonna call me out like that you better have the post on deck

Ono said on Twitter that we should "stick around for a surprise" what did he mean by that?

haha just kidding enjoy your wait ;_;

That was obviously a joke. Shit. I've always said that they aren't gonna show shit at CEO or any premier event. No need to get all angry with me because you misread something lel

One day they'll give Nash something else.

It'll be a new move. A new move so fast it'll leave the haters behind.

the new counter grab is a p hard read. snake eyes didn't use it actually that I saw in the last match
You're talking about against Punk's Nash? I saw that match. I hope it's really difficult, as you say. It deals a lot of damage but at least it puts you at almost full screen.

So there's still hope. I need at least one character in the roster that I can breathe easy against.

Bob White

Nah fam if you are gonna call me out like that you better have the post on deck

lol, I rarely check this thread but when I do I swear you're always saying something like "They'll probably announce such and such this weekend followed by this on Thursday since such and such wasn't talked about last week. Maybe by tomorrow in the afternoon"

And I always see these post early in the morning as I'm heading to work thinking to myself "cool, some new sf info today..." only to be met with disappointment and another post from you saying "ok, since nothing was revealed today, probably next thursday since CEO/whatever is coming up and they have to reveal this before they talk about the next update..." and so on.

Not trying to bust your balls
too much
but I've been burned by you a few times.

lol, I rarely check this thread but when I do I swear you're always saying something like "They'll probably announce such and such this weekend followed by this on Thursday since such and such wasn't talked about last week. Maybe by tomorrow in the afternoon"

And I always see these post early in the morning as I'm heading to work thinking to myself "cool, some new sf info today..." only to be met with disappointment and another post from you saying "ok, since nothing was revealed today, probably next thursday since CEO/whatever is coming up and they have to reveal this before they talk about the next update..." and so on.

Not trying to bust your balls
too much
but I've been burned by you a few times.

Hey now, I can't control what Capcom does or how their marketing should work. Usually my assumptions are laced with hopefully and stark reasons why, and in typical Capcom fashion, they defy me. The only time you know for sure is if you check their Twitter and they throw up a hint. Don't listen to anyone else if you don't want disappointment.

If it makes you feel better, after E3, I'm letting the dice roll where they may. That way, I can be pleasantly surprised from now on, even if it's months late.

ElFly

You're talking about against Punk's Nash? I saw that match. I hope it's really difficult, as you say. It deals a lot of damage but at least it puts you at almost full screen.

So there's still hope. I need at least one character in the roster that I can breathe easy against.

I was more talking about the full series of matches against punk; match was the wrong word

karin also has a couple of tundra-able kicks and -that I saw- SnakeEyes didn't grab them either

dunno. it's v possible every zangief player is feeling nervous about that move and ain't using it much. it may change during the year but my early impression is that it is p hard to actually use and opponents will only need to _slightly_ adjust their gameplan

Where can I watch ANY of the top 8 or 16 today? I was so exhausted from work and missed everything. 😩

Also you guys should know Capcom Japan runs shit. They really remind me of SEGA before they finally got themselves together.

KingBroly

Banned

- No Classic Costumes
- No Chun-Li Costumes that were promised at EVO last year (maybe, I forget what they promised, but the ones they did release have sucked)
- Delayed Characters

The game is really bogged down in delays right now. It feels like they slashed the staff in half for Season 2 then decided to slash it in half again at some point.

5 ranked matches. 5 smurfs L+150 in profile and L+15 in character. Got knocked down a league, not even ashamed about being salty. Play in your league and don't punch below your rank, fuck every single one of you jabroni smurfs, smurfs are scumbags, and if you smurf eat a dick. I'm off for tonight.

5 ranked matches. 5 smurfs L+100 in profile and L+12 in character. Got knocked down a league, not even ashamed about being salty. Play in your league and don't punch below your rank, fuck every single one of you jabroni smurfs, smurfs are scumbags. I'm out for tonight.
Levels like that really don't mean anything. You can get to 250+ easily just going through the single player content for a character.

Levels like that really don't mean anything. You can get to 250+ easily just going through the single player content for a character.
Their play indicated otherwise. Shit, I even encountered the inverse: Somehow a guy was L27 in his profile but L46 in his Mika. I don't know how that even mathematically adds up for how you need to level the character.

Their play indicated otherwise. Shit, I even encountered the inverse: Somehow a guy was L27 in his profile but L46 in his Mika. I don't know how that even mathematically adds up for how you need to level the character.
Contextualize this for me, what league was it, and what were they doing that indicated play outside of it?

Rymuth

- No Classic Costumes
- No Chun-Li Costumes that were promised at EVO last year (maybe, I forget what they promised, but the ones they did release have sucked)
- Delayed Characters

The game is really bogged down in delays right now. It feels like they slashed the staff in half for Season 2 then decided to slash it in half again at some point.
I'm starting to think this game has a Destiny-like problem where the tool creation was so unwieldy it took ages for a glitch to be patched out, not to mention enemies got repurposed and expansions were considerably smaller than the leaked plans.

SFVI to use MTFrameworks? Capcom seems to have resurrected that engine.

Spman2099

- No Classic Costumes
- Delayed Characters

I have been a big supporter of SFV, but it is dying for me. This is a big part of that. The lack of communication. The inability to follow through with, or capitalize on, potential momentum. The lack of engagement with the fanbase. In general, just the sense that they are happy keeping the community in the dark (or the growing sense that behind the scenes everything is on fire and the reason we hear nothing is because it is better than us knowing how messed up things are on the developer's side).

I think Street Fighter V is only a few adjustments away from being a game that could have some very, very long legs, but it seems like Capcom is deadly opposed to following through with any of it.

I guess my last hope is that a ton of effort is put into launching Season 3 in a very big way, but I have no faith that will be the case. If anything, it seems like communication will just continue to get worse and worse.

I have essentially lost all faith in the product. I am struggling to care about it. I hate what Capcom has become... I hate how they have failed to adapt...

The game needs to forcibly reset players to neutral more often. You get a ssense w characters like Birdie Guile and Kolin how the games supposed to be, but then there are characters who just have relentless pressure.

https://twitter.com/BlaQnyc/status/830224406576242689
https://twitter.com/BlaQnyc/status/830226783547056129

Xian said in the past that forcing you to neutral more often means nothing due to the neutral tools that are present in SFV. He's right. The game encourages you to dash in due to normals having less range, input lag being higher than usual, slow walkspeed, and great dashes. Normals don't have as much active frames as in the past, are slower, etc...

That's not to say there isn't neutral or footsies. I just think the neutral game isn't as satisfying as in the past. I don't think there is an argument against this. Just look at the neutral tools and rate each game (ST, A2, A3, 3S, USF4, SFV, CvS2?) based on the following traits. I took a look at those games a while back and compared frame data and I'm pretty sure SFV had the lowest points for almost every category.

Walkspeed
Active frames
Range
Startup frames
Input Lag
Punishable sweep?

People like James Chen have come out to defend SFV by comparing whiff punishing not being present in ST, and he's right, but that's also ignoring the fact that ST has better normal tools in those categories than SFV. I actually think 3S has neutral tools most similar to SFV, but in that game you still had faster walkspeed, more range, and less input lag. So SFV always falls short once you take into account every thing that makes a neutral tool great or bad. Until SFV changes those neutral tools I just can't see the game really changing all that much. More supers and more vtriggers isn't going to change the core game.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";241200261]inarguable pre-evo tier list

captureq4ulf.png
[/QUOTE]

This looks like a tier list from someone who's watched a lot of recent tournaments.

Also how you gonna let Necaili fly under the radar like that again. For shame.

No shade or hate or anything, but how did you plateau? Online?

Come on man. There is alot of arrogance about in this thread. People who like sf5 are a bunch of shills now?

Some of you all need to find another game to play if you hate SFV so much, lol.
Plateaued in terms of my understanding of the game and my character. Understanding my character in a few months was understandable but having fully figured out the system by a few months with nothing more left to discover? That just didn't sit right with me.

I had already realized by August/September that CCs were a busted mechanic, that "neutral" was non-existent and that rushdown was king. Reactive play didn't really matter and that fireballs and shoryukens (AAs in general) were clearly not a high priority.

I don't generally agree with the whole "this game is random" angle but if ever there was a game where this statement could KIND OF apply to, it's this game. Games like Marvel 3 at least have the advantage of more defensive options, movement options and just the fact that wackiness and difficult-to-react to situations in that game is sort of the point.

I don't mean plateau in terms of skill but that's mainly because skill ceased to matter after reaching a certain threshold (which was what a LOT of people have been complaining about). As a highly defensive and reactive player, my "skill" and understanding against the opponent didn't matter as most situations ultimately came down to way too many 50/50s for "skill" to make any difference. Again, this was the first SF I started to try and "git gud" at so when I started playing other fighting games more seriously, I started seeing what I was missing out on. Killer Instinct in particular is a game that stole my heart as it allowed for the type of play that I wanted WITH CHARACTER's THAT WEREN'T EVEN DESIGNED FOR IT.

I have said this MANY times before in the SFV OTs that all the problems I have with the game are things that they CAN fix. Sure the combos won't be long in this game, but at least have neutral situations matter more than who jumped in/dashed in first. Sure you're making almost every character offense oriented but that doesn't mean you remove defensive options from the game. But I just know that they aren't going to fix ANY of that because they've had two separate balancing opportunities now and in both of them, they removed/nerfed defensive options.

for me I would like to see 2 things to make the game better (and I really like it but some things to irritate me).

Change crush counters somehow. Maybe only allow them on punishing certain moves. Leave them out of the neutral footsie game because that shit is just anoying as fuck. You end up with people spending the who game just crush counter fishing because when it does hit they get massive damage off you and instant set up for another one.

Add an addition defensive option with the V system. I have said it before but one idea could be to use 2 bars to allow a v-reversal while being hit. Allows you 1 - 2 chances a match to reset to neutral if you get hit by a bad combo but sacrifice v-trigger chances and normal v-reversals to do it.

something like those to me would help a lot. That or get rid of CC altogether and make sure everyone has an invisibile reversal. But I do like CC in at times. Just not how it rewards someone mashing random heavies in the foostis game making footsies a huge risk as some characters.

Hyun Sai

I got the opinion that the way crush counters are implemented ruin the game, even from a spectator pov. Them giving only a hard knockdown (like the sweeps) would be much better to stop all the safe fishing with no risk and insane damage reward.

But it's too late for that.

MrCarter

I see what you mean Spman2099. It also doesn't help that Capcom USA has literally no one to communicate to us with, as Haunts seems to have taken a back seat too. The only way we are receiving any sort of communication right now is through the blog posts and Sneakers on here, and although I appreciate them, I don't think it's enough for the fanbase in this day and age.

Rymuth

This is all the Mad Gear gang's fault, I just know it. They're sowing fear and discord in the community.

Well played, Abigail.

I was more talking about the full series of matches against punk; match was the wrong word

karin also has a couple of tundra-able kicks and -that I saw- SnakeEyes didn't grab them either

dunno. it's v possible every zangief player is feeling nervous about that move and ain't using it much. it may change during the year but my early impression is that it is p hard to actually use and opponents will only need to _slightly_ adjust their gameplan

Gief players on discord feel the move is a nerf with how useless the move is and the input motion makes for mistakes. It's a dp with punches. If they switched it to kicks then it wouldn't be so bad.

Snake eyez took ceo? Haha that's great, especially because he straight up said he would on the e3 twitch stream after taking that tourney.

DunpealD

They at least fulfilled the promised communication quota. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Count me in on the not liking SFV being 50/50 the game.
Vortex were already terrible in SFIV, not sure why they think it would be a good idea to make SFV based around a less broken version of it.
Every time I see somebody playing extremely solid taking a huge lead, losing in a flash due to 50/50 the game I can't help but cringe.

While there is still a skill gap between players, I kinda understand how Gamerbee feels.

Top Bottom