• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Village

i bet omega was totally a test run for SFV character designs

Pretty much, a lot of charge characters went motion, rog strait up had his V trigger,Evil Ryu was necalli, and a whole bunch of other crazy shit.

It was actually reallly cool I would like it if more companies did that, some already do but in the form of costumes. Some companies will make free mods of new shit from their new game in their old game .

vulva

ggs spazchicken.

I don't know if I'm giving you credit or shit talking here, but man I can not condition you to not wake up v trigger. On one hand, it won you some games when I'd go for a throw, but I was hoping after hitting you out of it so many times you'd stop haha. That said, it burnt me sometimes so I can't fully criticize.

edit: regarding the playing with you comment, honestly the answer is sort of. In long sets you can afford to lose a game or two. I was trying to see other ways to beat or deal with the ex moonsault, for example. In a long set it's a good time to try new things or to see how things work in different situations.

With that said, don't short yourself here. You played well, you were good at getting optimal damage and capitalizing on my mistakes. I do think some things you might want to consider are the following:

Your follow ups to ex moonsault when it's blocked. You'd either throw, or do nothing. I believe you're + on that, so that's your chance to also stick out a button. My throw will lose to your jab, if nothing else. Which also means you could pressure with the jab and beat me throw, backdash or jump back. Meanwhile that's also free pressure if I just block. I think Nash can do cr lp cr lp slash right? If you use the second cr lp to help hit confirm you either are putting constant pressure on me and are + if I block the cr lp, and if you land the hit cause I hit a button you can knock me down and carry the pressure.

When health is low, I noticed you getting desperate and would use ex moonsault to get in. A more aware player than me would be punishing that instantly.

Also, for the love of god, stop doing wake up v trigger every time you get trigger. It really did hurt you more than it did good. That leads to you losing two bars of v meter and you'd usually get hit. You're probably better using it for v reversal more than anything with how you were using it on wakeup.

Sweep less, it caught me off guard at first but I was getting st hp punishes pretty easily after a while.

If I think of more I'll mention it but I honestly think you're really good. You just need to mix up your patterns a bit more and have a bit more restraint when it comes to ex and v meter management.

ggs spazchicken.

I don't know if I'm giving you credit or shit talking here, but man I can not condition you to not wake up v trigger. On one hand, it won you some games when I'd go for a throw, but I was hoping after hitting you out of it so many times you'd stop haha. That said, it burnt me sometimes so I can't fully criticize.

edit: regarding the playing with you comment, honestly the answer is sort of. In long sets you can afford to lose a game or two. I was trying to see other ways to beat or deal with the ex moonsault, for example. In a long set it's a good time to try new things or to see how things work in different situations.

With that said, don't short yourself here. You played well, you were good at getting optimal damage and capitalizing on my mistakes. I do think some things you might want to consider are the following:

Your follow ups to ex moonsault when it's blocked. You'd either throw, or do nothing. I believe you're + on that, so that's your chance to also stick out a button. My throw will lose to your jab, if nothing else. Which also means you could pressure with the jab and beat me throw, backdash or jump back. Meanwhile that's also free pressure if I just block. I think Nash can do cr lp cr lp slash right? If you use the second cr lp to help hit confirm you either are putting constant pressure on me and are + if I block the cr lp, and if you land the hit cause I hit a button you can knock me down and carry the pressure.

When health is low, I noticed you getting desperate and would use ex moonsault to get in. A more aware player than me would be punishing that instantly.

Also, for the love of god, stop doing wake up v trigger every time you get trigger. It really did hurt you more than it did good. That leads to you losing two bars of v meter and you'd usually get hit. You're probably better using it for v reversal more than anything with how you were using it on wakeup.

Sweep less, it caught me off guard at first but I was getting st hp punishes pretty easily after a while.

If I think of more I'll mention it but I honestly think you're really good. You just need to mix up your patterns a bit more and have a bit more restraint when it comes to ex and v meter management.

It's a stupid gamble and habit I have from a year ago when I'm under extreme pressure. Every time I did it I was half kicking myself and half hoping you bit.

It came out in your favor more times than not. I really need to stop it.

Awesome man, thank you for the advice.

vulva

It's a stupid gamble and habit I have from a year ago when I'm under extreme pressure. Every time I did it I was half kicking myself and half hoping you bit.

It came out in your favor more times than not. I really need to stop it.
As you play better players, their meaty timing will keep getting better. It's important not to hit the panic button since that just limits your options more often than not

Are you using port forwarding mumbo jumbo or just normal settings on your network?

Edit: casual or ranked?

I'm curious because my matchmaking hasn't been very impressive lately and I want to try port forwarding but also don't know shit about it.

I did this on my PS4 the other day. Its pretty easy and I went from 5-10 min waits to 30 seconds to 2 mins wait for matches.

I had done it on PC near release but completely forgot to set it up on PS4. Without it i would have good nights and bad nights. I have only had it set up for 2 days but both days matchmaking was way faster than previous days. Especially since the last update. I mostly play Casual matches btw.

This link explains everything you need to know

https://portforward.com/help/street-fighter-v/

Kashiwaba

I did this on my PS4 the other day. Its pretty easy and I went from 5-10 min waits to 30 seconds to 2 mins wait for matches.

I had done it on PC near release but completely forgot to set it up on PS4. Without it i would have good nights and bad nights. I have only had it set up for 2 days but both days matchmaking was way faster than previous days. Especially since the last update. I mostly play Casual matches btw.

This link explains everything you need to know

https://portforward.com/help/street-fighter-v/
For some reason i can't forward 443 port on my router, i guess it's reserved for something on the router.

You shouldn't forward port 80 and port 443.
Those are for HTTP and HTTPS, but SFV certainly does not need to run a webserver.
You do need outbound access on those ports, but if you can read this, then that is already working (at least HTTP).

It boggles my mind that Capcom lists those as ports to forward.

MrCarter

I remember Ayano saying that Omega was a playground for the new in-house developers at Capcom to prove they could actually develop a whole game.

It certainly seemed that way. It was a great way to test test the waters with an existing audience before implementing it in the future.

hertog

Haven't played this since Injustice 2 came out, are people generally happy with the changes of the latest (balance)patch?

That was a nice comeback.

Thanks but I gotta give credit to my character too. RAAM has one of the BEST comeback mechanics in the game because he can do poison damage with his kryll (it's what happened at the last 15 seconds when I anti aired him and did that weird move where he summons bats) and his Instinct mode is fucking amazing. His instinct covers the whole screen with Kryll so visibility becomes a legitimate issue (for both players) but the opponent keeps losing white health.

If you manage to hit them with a combo and end it, ALL that white health gets taken away. That's why after popping my instinct on his second health bar, he took so much damage from a combo that was not long at all. If you manage to combine the unrecoverable damage from poison with his instinct and do a combo? Boy, you looking at potentially 60% health gone in 5 seconds with no meter needing to be spent.
Uh haven't you heard the news? Namco Bandai is going to fix SFv.
Seriously though, I thought they're only "borrowing" matchmaking from Namco?

MrCarter

Haven't played this since Injustice 2 came out, are people generally happy with the changes of the latest (balance)patch?

"Balance" is such a broad term for fighting games because it depends on many factors like the system mechanics and specific characters. The mechanics could use some fine tuning with more defensive options but I think most of the characters are generally fair.

Except Balrog.

Seriously though, I thought they're only "borrowing" matchmaking from Namco?

I think it's a software they may be borrowing. Not sure if it's for Street Fighter though.

Pompadour

I'm on PC and I don't think mine CAN render at a consistent 90 fps. I have a 760 GTX (it's factory overclocked so it runs comparable to a 770) and I'm running at 1080p with everything set to max. It never dips below 60 but still.

Are you playing Ranked because the PC version of KI won't let you play online if your rig can't handle Ranked's minimum requirements.

That's what I thought. I'm still hearing of horrible experiences people are having with Tekken on PS4.

I literally left behind Tekken 7 on PS4 and went back to SFV because I could play 5 SFV matches in the time it takes me to play 1 Tekken 7 match. Of course, if I mention that in certain threads/subreddits I'm called a shill or a liar.

Are you playing Ranked because the PC version of KI won't let you play online if your rig can't handle Ranked's minimum requirements.

Yeah like I said, my game never dips below 60. The match I posted was a promotion match in Ranked, and I've NEVER had performance issues with this game. It's fairly well optimized.

That being said, I know that a big reason why the netcode is so stable on the X1 is cause the game renders at 90 fps. I'm just saying that I don't think my PC is rendering at 90 fps or above, but it's still above 60 at all times. EDIT: Is there any way to know exactly the max FPS my PC can render? Haven't tried turning off V-Sync but I think there's an FPS cap so I can't tell one way or another.

Netcode is still fantastic for me.

Pompadour

Yeah like I said, my game never dips below 60. The match I posted was a promotion match in Ranked, and I've NEVER had performance issues with this game. It's fairly well optimized.

That being said, I know that a big reason why the netcode is so stable on the X1 is cause the game renders at 90 fps. I'm just saying that I don't think my PC is rendering at 90 fps or above, but it's still above 60 at all times.

Netcode is still fantastic for me.

I played little KI but, from what I understand, the visuals don't render at 90fps but rather 60. The game state just updates at 90fps which lessens all the teleportiness rollback netcode is known for. It's basically checking that both players' game states are in sync 1.5x more often than any other fighting game.

So I don't know if that would show up on a frame counter or not.

I played little KI but, from what I understand, the visuals don't render at 90fps but rather 60. The game state just updates at 90fps which lessens all the teleportiness rollback netcode is known for. It's basically checking that both players' game states are in sync 1.5x more often than any other fighting game.

So I don't know if that would show up on a frame counter or not.
Ooh yes, that makes more sense. That is PROBABLY what's happening.

Not that it matters but I redid the performance test on my PC and here's the result. Might help anyone in this thread who's interested in the game but doesn't know if their PC can handle it.

MrCarter

I literally left behind Tekken 7 on PS4 and went back to SFV because I could play 5 SFV matches in the time it takes me to play 1 Tekken 7 match. Of course, if I mention that in certain threads/subreddits I'm called a shill or a liar.

Of course. We wouldn't want to break the narrative now would we.

Skilletor

Tekken's online experience has no respect for a player's time.

For all the shit people give SF5, being able to set FtX matches for lobbies is great.

Pompadour

Tekken's online experience has no respect for a player's time.

For all the shit people give SF5, being able to set FtX matches for lobbies is great.

I can abide the shitty matchmaking to a degree if they just changed the Revenge match to a first-to-two set up (like SFV) and eliminate re-loading everything for the Revenge match (like SFV). It still wouldn't be great but it would be so, so much better.

I'm sure that'll be implemented eventually because Namco seems to be listening to fan feedback.

MCD250

I was gonna get back to the game after a week or so of not playing (just haven't had time recently) but I just bought Nex Machina and I foresee it taking up a good chunk of my gaming time for at least the next few days. Amazing game.

I did buy Tekken the othet day too, but as with SFV I think I'll wait until my schedule frees up a bit before I fully dive into it.

Hyun Sai

I can abide the shitty matchmaking to a degree if they just changed the Revenge match to a first-to-two set up (like SFV) and eliminate re-loading everything for the Revenge match (like SFV). It still wouldn't be great but it would be so, so much better.

I'm sure that'll be implemented eventually because Namco seems to be listening to fan feedback.

Exactly. I'm waiting for the next 2 patch, and those things aren't implemented, I might be done for good. This had been a very disappointing year (really amateur hour) regarding online fighting game functionality of the games I usually play (Tekken, KoF, Street).

Yah and namco doesn't even get close to half the shit Capcom does for shit like this.

Hell if anything, I feel Namco deserves TWICE the shit that Capcpom got for SFV's launch.

SFV was a horrible launch, with a severe lack of content to keep newbies/casuals engaged, incredibly rocky launch and netcode that ultimately disappointed. But that game was clearly rushed out of the gate. It was made and released in... what 1.5 years? You can still make a decent functioning game but then you'd have to pour more money and manpower into it which Capcpom was also lacking. Not saying that this excuses it but Capcpom was lacking in time and money for the game's development which showed. They needed to get the game out there ASAP.

In the case of Namco, they had the advantage of having this game out and making money for them for over 2 years. They clearly weren't lacking for money with how much cash they were making off the arcade scenes, by selling customizations and the many crossover deals they made with other companies. So to actually have things like no rematch, no real settings for lobbies, horrible matchmaking, de-sync issues and general issues with the online coupled with extra input delay on the version that's gonna be the most played?

That shit is inexcusable. Yipee you got a story mode and an arcade/treasure battle mode at launch but what's the freaking point if people can't even play each other online without it being a miserable experience? Especially after Harada said that they delayed the game so that it would be complete. Granted, they have a lot of characters, a lot of stages and the game is incredibly well-balanced. But again, what's the point if the majority of players have such a bad time just playing against each other online.

HardRojo

Now that I think about it, I remember this poster who was smugly wondering if SFV's OT would still be active a year after release. I don't think I bookmarked that post.

thelastword

Banned
I'm on PC and I don't think mine CAN render at a consistent 90 fps. I have a 760 GTX (it's factory overclocked so it runs comparable to a 770) and I'm running at 1080p with everything set to max. It never dips below 60 but still.
Internally, KI is already rendering at 90fps...I think animation and physics too, so once you can hit 60fps you're good...They did very well with their netcode and forward-thinking, props to them...

Hell if anything, I feel Namco deserves TWICE the shit that Capcpom got for SFV's launch.

SFV was a horrible launch, with a severe lack of content to keep newbies/casuals engaged, incredibly rocky launch and netcode that ultimately disappointed. But that game was clearly rushed out of the gate. It was made and released in... what 1.5 years? You can still make a decent functioning game but then you'd have to pour more money and manpower into it which Capcpom was also lacking. Not saying that this excuses it but Capcpom was lacking in time and money for the game's development which showed. They needed to get the game out there ASAP.

In the case of Namco, they had the advantage of having this game out and making money for them for over 2 years. They clearly weren't lacking for money with how much cash they were making off the arcade scenes, by selling customizations and the many crossover deals they made with other companies. So to actually have things like no rematch, no real settings for lobbies, horrible matchmaking, de-sync issues and general issues with the online coupled with extra input delay on the version that's gonna be the most played?

That shit is inexcusable. Yipee you got a story mode and an arcade/treasure battle mode at launch but what's the freaking point if people can't even play each other online without it being a miserable experience? Especially after Harada said that they delayed the game so that it would be complete. Granted, they have a lot of characters, a lot of stages and the game is incredibly well-balanced. But again, what's the point if the majority of players have such a bad time just playing against each other online.

Yeah, to the average consumer it might not look like it, but Tekken 7 is leagues ahead due to the constant patching and attention it got for years. I mean, Akuma used to be fucking way worse. Tekken 7 is like Ultra right now which is great for a competitive scene.

But at the same time, they've had a good buffer and they've squandered it.

Top Bottom