• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I want Deejay tbh. He could be a better Guile.

He'll get turned into a motion character and lose one of his specials, either machine upper or dread kicks

Yesterday I watched a ton of SF4 matches again. One of them being Bonchan vs Dieminion. Man, remember when fireball characters fought each other in a long grueling war of attrition? Nowadays it may start that way, but once someone gains a knockdown it can be GG's very quickly. I wish SFV was better at showing a clash of different styles instead of everyone turning into the same character when they gain a knockdown.

mbpm1

Someone should start a weekly "great sfiv match" thing if we're that nostalgic.

My submission: infexious vs reiketsu

Hugo vs poison looked fucking impossible but he somehow made it work

My take on sfiv vs sfv is that playing sfv made me realize all the bullshit I hated in sfiv. But then I played sfv some more and realized all the bullshit I hated about sfv. Now I don't play either

Someone should start a weekly "great sfiv match" thing if we're that nostalgic.

My submission: infexious vs reiketsu

Hugo vs poison looked fucking impossible but he somehow made it work

My take on sfiv vs sfv is that playing sfv made me realize all the bullshit I hated in sfiv. But then I played sfv some more and realized all the bullshit I hated about sfv. Now I don't play either
How about a daily great sfiv match :D

HlxZXsG.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
He'll get turned into a motion character and lose one of his specials, either machine upper or dread kicks

Yesterday I watched a ton of SF4 matches again. One of them being Bonchan vs Dieminion. Man, remember when fireball characters fought each other in a long grueling war of attrition? Nowadays it may start that way, but once someone gains a knockdown it can be GG's very quickly. I wish SFV was better at showing a clash of different styles instead of everyone turning into the same character when they gain a knockdown.
That is a core problem of V and one of the reasons watching it isn't as interesting. If I remember correctly they said they wanted to move away from setplay early on with this game, but this is often what it turns into. Throw/shimmy/meaty with every character is just so incredibly boring. You get these 80% comebacks and it's not exciting at all, because there's not that much skill involved after the first knockdown or whatever.
But that's not exactly easy to fix, they would need to change the game a lot to address this.

stn

Just playing devil's advocate here but... wasn't that the case in SF4 as well? Oki character gets a hard knock down, starts vortex. Rinse and repeat. SF4 had zoning and footsies when characters like Rose, Guile, and Ryu were on the screen together. SF5 is no different, though it does have less zoning characters.

To me, SF4 is a jekyll-and-hyde game. Its amazing when two grounded characters are being played, it quickly goes to hell once you have two pure vortex characters on stage. And yes, I'd loveeee Dee-Jay in SFV.

EDIT: There is currently a USF4 PS4 thread that can be revived if people want?

MrCarter

people talk about other fighting games on here all the time. One more cant be that much worse

I don't mind it but I know the thread would be derailed constantly. Let's leave the SFV thread for SFV and make a new one for SFIV.

Yeah, I don't agree, either. They're just complaining that things that gave them an edge no longer exist so they aren't as consistent. Which is a reasonable criticism but that doesn't mean that the game is skill-less.

And before anyone says "then why not just make it harder to play so there will be more consistency with who wins what" the logical conclusion to that would be a game where every link is a 1f link and combos go on forever. There certainly would be a few dozen freaks of nature who would love it but I don't think it would have a healthy playerbase.

Gameplay wise, I think you just need to find ways to appease players either end of the skill spectrum as long as these appeasements don't impact the opposite side. An example is autocombos in fighters. A casual isn't going to blow up a pro with autocombos so they shouldn't care. That shit will only negatively impact people that aren't good but aren't garbage.

I mean, I know there won't be an SFIV revival anytime soon but even if there is a slight miracle if it does come back, I instantly know people will start to cry and whine about all the issues the game has and how it's the worst SF ever made. It's one of the reasons why SFV is the way it is as Capcom tried to rectify a lot of the issues people had with the previous game.

mbpm1

Just playing devil's advocate here but... wasn't that the case in SF4 as well? Oki character gets a hard knock down, starts vortex. Rinse and repeat. SF4 had zoning and footsies when characters like Rose, Guile, and Ryu were on the screen together. SF5 is no different, though it does have less zoning characters.

To me, SF4 is a jekyll-and-hyde game. Its amazing when two grounded characters are being played, it quickly goes to hell once you have two pure vortex characters on stage. And yes, I'd loveeee Dee-Jay in SFV.

There's dedicated vortex characters in that game. In sfv by the nature of the game every character becomes a vortex character on knockdown. No matter who you are you play shimmy throw meaty. At least you could do other things on a knockdown on both sides occasionally with sfiv outside of Ibuki shit

JusDoIt

Just playing devil's advocate here but... wasn't that the case in SF4 as well? Oki character gets a hard knock down, starts vortex.

It was until Ultra.

I was very ambivalent about SF4 until 2012. Then I liked it. Ultra made me love it.

But SFV continued the direction they were going with Ultra and Omega.

Edzi

People don't want that, otherwise it would have been revived ages ago. People want to talk about sf4 in the context of sfv.

Only some characters had good 50/50 ambiguous mix up. Most characters like Ryu, Chun, Honda, or Sagat had really basic shit like safe jump or meaty. And it was hard for those characters to open people up because of all the defensive options.

I don't want crouch tech or invincibile back dash back. I just want something as simple as throws not allowing follow up pressure mid screen and eliminating throw loops in the corner. That alone would make a huge difference.

mbpm1

Not sure about that. Why make already linear offense even more linear? You don't make rps more interesting by nerfing scissors. Rather see more defense

How about making V-Triggers have "0" startup? That way you can actually use it as a way to stop time for a second and react accordingly? You won't be able to V-reversal so if you're blocking, you gotta eat that pressure.

Obviously this wouldn't work for supers like Kolin, Rashid's and Ed's that are "moves" and not just installs.

vulva

Only some characters had good 50/50 ambiguous mix up. Most characters like Ryu, Chun, Honda, or Sagat had really basic shit like safe jump or meaty. And it was hard for those characters to open people up because of all the defensive options.

I don't want crouch tech or invincibile back dash back. I just want something as simple as throws not allowing follow up pressure mid screen and eliminating throw loops in the corner. That alone would make a huge difference.

Chun had unblockables on Cammy and Decapre tho :3

That was also all she had on Cammy, though :(

edit:
IMG_20170628_120800.jpg

Cool sorta, but a lanyard woulda been nice. Maybe it's delayed for the chamionship edition

ElFly

SF4 gief wasn't bad

but outside of vs dhalsim I prefer the SFV version. now we have meterless Ultra 2 anyway

'sides, doing green hand after every spd felt dumb

There seems to be a push to revive SF4 and I'm happy for those who still enjoy that game, but I don't think it's more than a fart in the wind.

This isn't a new push in anyway. The first big 'push' for this was in Feb. It died pretty hard on the vine. This latest attempt will go in similar fashion - USF4 is a dead game (thank lawd).

Would people be fine with Rog as he is if defensive options got buffed?

I don't mean online Rog sorry that monster will always be broken.

All I want changed on Rog is his cr.MK not hitting low tbh. Just so you can walk backwards safely instead of just accepting it and waiting for it to happen and not risk potentially getting beat out by a cr.MK TC -> ggs

Would people be fine with Rog as he is if defensive options got buffed?

I don't mean online Rog sorry that monster will always be broken.

His damage output just needs to go down. Nothing too serious, but the amount of damage he can get,whether he has v-trigger or regular EX's, just makes 1 of your mistakes worth 2-3 mistakes, easily.

SF as a game needs to be balanced around 'how many mistakes can a player make during a match?'. In SF4's case, that answer was somewhere between 4-6. SFV is around 2-4.

The game also has an excellent defensive option - V-reversal. It just needs to be buffed. That & things like throw loop setups need to be nerfed.

in terms of gameplay, SFV is easily the closest SF that I consider to be ideal. It just has a few nagging issues that need to be resolved. SF4 was awful, even though I still watched it & rooted for the game's success.

Shadoken

edit:
IMG_20170628_120800.jpg

Cool sorta, but a lanyard woulda been nice. Maybe it's delayed for the chamionship edition

Huh? They mailed you the badge? I dont recall them asking for shipping address , when i registered.

Did you specifically ask for the badge? Isnt it usually pick up at the event.

Skilletor

Huh? They mailed you the badge? I dont recall them asking for shipping address , when i registered.

It was one of the options, you had to pay extra for it.

Got mine in the mail, but my wife's isn't here yet even though we ordered at the same time.

vulva

hmm maybe I should go this year hmm
you probably should

It was an option when I registered. I figured I'd give it a try. Kinda nice to not wait in lines, but now I need to find a lanyard which is annoying.

The best solution to CCs IMO would be to find a happy medium between standard counters and crush counters. Something like Fatal Counters from other games, where you still get way more damage and frames than regular counters and hits, but you're not like +30 for randomly throwing out a karate chop.

Blueblur1

edit:
IMG_20170628_120800.jpg

Wiz says the lanyard will be given out at Evo.

Speaking of which, I'm running 6 brackets (12 hours) on Saturday starting at 8am. RIP me.

Pompadour

The best solution to CCs IMO would be to find a happy medium between standard counters and crush counters. Something like Fatal Counters from other games, where you still get way more damage and frames than regular counters and hits, but you're not like +30 for randomly throwing out a karate chop.

So what do we do with all those CC animations?

Corner throw loops would be alleviated if people stopped quickrising to them over and over again in the corner setting up another throw.

Priority system + crush counters = stupid

take one of them away and maybe the other would be fine tbh
Agreed, game would be so SO much better if they just made CCs count for sweeps. It's a simple change, but it would make the game so drastically different.

Successfully landing a CC st.hp with Urien in a neutral situation leads to:

• V-meter gain
  • Considerable damage.
  • Regular meter gain
  • Corner carry
Successfully landing a st.hp that isn't a CC with Urien in a neutral situation leads to:

• Damage for the st.hp
  • Meter gain for the st.hp
Having a st.hp blocked in a neutral situation as Urien leads to:

• ???
  • EX Headbutt

Somewhat similar situation applies to Necalli's st.hk, Ken's st.hk, and a few others.

Corner throw loops would be alleviated if people stopped quickrising to them over and over again in the corner setting up another throw.

Yeah because I have nothing to fear if I don't quickrise after a throw loop in the corner vs Ken.

Top Bottom