• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

ElFly

It's very important because you don't need 500 artists to make a fighting game, in fact more, unique content creators means the leads will have to go over more content to bring it all in line with the art directiion, because all of it is so in your face and obvious.
MVCI already has the majority of osaka studio developing for it, adding another 50 artists isn't going to do shit unless they are just making props/enviroments.

this collides with the reality that game companies shift people around for crunch all the time. it happens a ton. if anything it is even easier if both MvC:I and SFV are developed in Osaka, and it is even easier if the SFV team is smaller than the MvC:I team and is even even easier if the SFV team has loosely defined release dates but MvC:I has a hard release date and a contract with Disney

besides, it is obvious that SFV and MvC:I were highly parallelized. Again, the difference between characters is stark. the leads clearly had their hands full and could not bring in line the characters. this happened in SFV too. (some of?) the characters were outsourced, and while the difference isn't as big as in MvC:I, it is still there. the DLC costumes are also very different in quality from one to the next. Guess why

everything you are saying goes against the obvious reality that MvC:I looks like it was put together like your old group projects in middle school.

you make Chun, and I make Ms Marvel, we put them together in the game the morning before shipping the demo. what can go wrong

Uhh "shifting around" doesn't mean you just keep adding people even though there's nothing for them to do.
You don't have 3 people building one character, so "shifting around" people from SFV doesn't actually do anything unless they get to work on content that has nobody working on it yet.

ElFly

Uhh "shifting around" doesn't mean you just keep adding people even though there's nothing for them to do.
You don't have 3 people building one character, so "shifting around" people from SFV doesn't actually do anything unless they get to work on content that has nobody working on it yet.

it could have been months ago, it's people who know how to make fighting games for UE4, who know roughly the content pipeline. probably they talk to each other and have worked in games together before.

if you think a producer who thinks MvC:I was good enough to show in its current state, won't have anything to do for extra people, you are crazy. hell, they could easily say "hey, did we do Chun internally? who drew her. Did you outsource her model?" and send the appropiate people to the MvC:I side and redo her, or redo her face.

Hell, retouching the ugliest characters could be a good job for extra people without disrupting the workflow of the rest of the team

What are you even talking about?
3 months before the game is to be released means most, if not all main content is done already.
And what do you think redoing or "retouching" is? This isn't photoshop.
Redoing any part of "chun" means you'd have to redo the model, redo the sculpt, redo the UVW, redo the texture, redo the rigging, and depending on how drastic these changes are, adjust the animations.

You don't add extra people this late to do this, because most of it is a 1-2 person job and most people that worked on the main content would move on to other projects, now if anything needs to be "redone" they stick around; you don't snatch people away from other projects because they'd literally have nothing to work on.

sixghost

Question for the Chun players here, what should I be doing if an opponent loves to neutral jump when they are in the corner? St.HK seemed like the answer, but that move must have a horrible hitbox or something because it seems to get beat by the opponents jumping attack most of the time.

ElFly

*shrug* maybe they won't retouch chun; even tho the producer said it was a possibility. Capcom clearly has people who know how to reuse animations from one model to the other, going by SFV, and hell, even fan modders have done quite good jobs

either way they could still have moved people from SFV to MvC:I

it is something very common and I am not sure why the very idea makes you angry

It's not a impossible in itself, but the "retouching of chun" is unlikely to be the reason for whatever delayed the next DLC character.
Or at least what delayed their communication about it, because they did promise character info every other month.

SephLuis

Question for the Chun players here, what should I be doing if an opponent loves to neutral jump when they are in the corner? St.HK seemed like the answer, but that move must have a horrible hitbox or something because it seems to get beat by the opponents jumping attack most of the time.

St.HK is good as a meaty. If they jump from a knockdown, they take the hit.
If they press a button, it's a crush counter.

If the opponent is neutral jumping, use st.LK. The opponent will be on the air, you can get close and you have the advantage for a mix up.

ElFly

It's not a impossible in itself, but the "retouching of chun" is unlikely to be the reason for whatever delayed the next DLC character.
Or at least what delayed their communication about it, because they did promise character info every other month.

they also delayed Ed

not completely buying the whole "Ed was made for the new CFN so he goes along with the update"

even tho their ridiculously long server update times every time there's a new character, costume or -I think- stage makes it a little more plausible tbqh

and their whole surprise for SFV's 30th anniversary is like three costumes? wtf

guess Abigail could be announced for next month and still be "on time" if you count the Ed delay to delay everything else

RM8

My controversial opinion is that MvCI Chun, while definitely one of the worst models in the game, is not as terrible as everyone says. Her face would be okay with a few tweakings and her anatomy looks off, but I like her shiny clothes and I honestly prefer when she's not as t h i c c as in SFV. There's actually a SFV mod to bring her to less extreme proportions, lol.

Neoxon

My controversial opinion is that MvCI Chun, while definitely one of the worst models in the game, is not as terrible as everyone says. Her face would be okay with a few tweakings and her anatomy looks off, but I like her shiny clothes and I honestly prefer when she's not as t h i c c as in SFV. There's actually a SFV mod to bring her to less extreme proportions, lol.
.........wut?

The shiny cloth is not a bad for her classic outfit, but the outfit itself looks odd. The puffy shoulders are not as clearly defined as in her previous incarnations, so it just ends up looking oddly lumpy. Also, if anything her MvC:I incarnation is even thicker than she is in SFV, to such an extent that her thighs look like a pair of chicken drum-sticks in MvC:I.

Alchemist

2vfuvii.png
#NotMyChun

HiResDes

If her thighs don't like look like she could smash boulders it's not fucking Chun-Li

Spuck-uk

Banned

I honestly think Rob Liefeld Captain America is much shittier looking than Chun

Village

If her thighs don't like look like she could smash boulders it's not fucking Chun-Li

Eh to be fair, there is plenty of offical art, by artist hired by capcom where her thighs are more reasonable sizes.

So I guess her thighs, exist in space where they can constantly fluctuate in size?

RM8

There's never been a not thick Chun tho.
I think she's been getting progressively thicker - but yeah, she's been "skinny" very few times.

She's been much thinner in some games:

Anyway, her SFV model is superb (and part of why I tried [and failed] to learn her, lol) but her policewoman outfit looks kind of silly with those dimensions, and it'd be the same if they give her her alpha costume. I prefer her SFIV body, I think, even though everything else is better in SFV. Chun was my first favourite gaming character, so it's important to me :p

ElFly

that's not the only problem with Chun tho

her walk animation is also extremely robotic

-they may have prioritized the Marvel characters; not all of Marvel looks great, but most of the people who look good are Marvel. What does this mean? maybe Marvel got the best modellers, internal or outsourced

It's likely that the teams worked on polishing the Marvel side first since Disney has a strict standard for how their characters are portrayed (like DC characters in Injustice).

MrCarter

All Capcom needed to do was import the animation and model into the MvC:I project folder from SFV.

It would have saved money

Hahaha, this is hilarious. Why not just copy everything from the game and just have more Mahvel type combos and be done with it? Would save SO much money.

Top Bottom