• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

joe2187

Banned
So they really just forgot to give us missions this week?

d8a.gif

Gotta start recording this game for the lols, create a new Youtube account call rollback from hell, playing some Alex in lobby against my friend, I land jumping HK, D.HP into light slash, into super, problem is it rollback light slash, super still came out my friend quick rise with Gief hit me his is super I am dead...lol lol lol....worse Netcode for the best fighting game of 2016..

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
CFN and MVC could have fucked up production. Abigail could have been almost done and they were like HOLD DAT, CHUNS FACE THO. Like I said before, the E3 floor demo for MVC is like six months old so they probably had these final months blocked off for polish anyway, saw the reception, and are in OH SHIT mode.

Having a double beta probably sent shit back too. Two fighting games going on at once is a lot of work, no matter how small or big your team is.

That being said, they need to be open. I don't mind delays. I want both games to be great. And if something is taking longer than usual, so be it. Let the memes rock and people will get over it. What they won't get over is fucking radio silence. That shit is way, way worse and I don't blame anyone for being angry about it.

I'm not very knowledge with Street Fighter development but who are working on SFV contents? I can't imagine that it would be a team at Capcom because they specifically said Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite is their first fighting game in development by Capcom team.

Neoxon

I'm not very knowledge with Street Fighter development but who are working on SFV contents? I can't imagine that it would be a team at Capcom because they specifically said Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite is their first fighting game in development by Capcom team.
SFV was mostly done internally with a decent bit of help from Dimps.

vulva

Optimistic thinking:
They're announcing Abigail tomorrow to celebrate the 150th.

Realistic thinking:
No one outside of Canada knows Canada Day is a thing, let alone that it's Canada's 150th celebration.

Kikirin

I still don't think its an option select. Just depends how you decide to define the term.

It's absolutely an option select, where an option select is defined to be a single input string that does something different depending on game state. The b.mk + yoga flame is the input being played back every time, it isn't being hit confirmed. And the different outcomes are: 1) whiffed poke, and 2) connected poke (hit or block) into yoga flame. Same input string, two different outcomes depending on game state.

Edzi

It's absolutely an option select. The b.mk + yoga flame is the input being played back every time, it isn't being hit confirmed. And the different outcomes are: 1) whiffed poke, and 2) connected poke (hit or block) into yoga flame. Same input string, two different outcomes depending on game state.

I know what a buffer is, but I still don't consider it an option select in the way crouch teching or jump back teching are. You're not inputting something that covers multiple options simultaneously, you're just inputting an attack and using the range to determine if it'll connect. If you suck at neutral, you'll just have your special blocked and punished.

Kikirin

I know what a buffer is, but I still don't consider it an option select in the way crouch teching or jump back teching are. You're not inputting something that covers multiple options simultaneously, you're just inputting an attack and using the range to determine if it'll connect. If you suck at neutral, you'll just have your special blocked and punished.

"Connect" and "whiff" are the options being covered simultaneously with that input though! Or alternatively, "the opponent walked into or put a limb into range" and "the opponent moved out of range" - the option select is on where the opponent is, you aren't making a decision to yoga flame or not to yoga flame.

vulva

The OSes you specifically mentioned are better OSes than a buffered special from a poke, yes, but they're all still OSes. I think maybe it's that your immediate thought/association with OSes is to very strong and effective ones like crouch tech, which is impacting your view on them.

Edzi

"Connect" and "whiff" are the options being covered simultaneously with that input though! Or alternatively, "the opponent walked into or put a limb into range" and "the opponent moved out of range" - the option select is on where the opponent is, you aren't making a decision to yoga flame or not to yoga flame.

Eh, I think this is a really silly way of defining option selects but I don't think I'm articulating myself well enough to explain why. I don't see the input covering anything, it's the spacing that does that. The input only determines whether something comes out upon connecting, but the success of that is entirely dependent on your spacing/neutral.

The OSes you specifically mentioned are better OSes than a buffered special from a poke, yes, but they're all still OSes. I think maybe it's that your immediate thought/association with OSes is to very strong and effective ones like crouch tech, which is impacting your view on them.

I feel like if you're going to be that broad with what OS means then almost anything could be considered an OS. I dunno.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Looks like Idom is actually going to EVO:
https://twitter.com/iDomNYC/status/880873447777333248

Last wek had two 5000 FM challenges, if I recall, so that might be part of the reason.

It's happened in the past, too, where some days pass without new missions.
Have they missed a Thursday before? I know that there aren't new missions every day. They've had weeks with two 5000 FM challenges before. Did they skip the following week?

Pompadour

Eh, I think this is a really silly way of defining option selects but I don't think I'm articulating myself well enough to explain why. I don't see the input covering anything, it's the spacing that does that. The input only determines whether something comes out upon connecting, but the success of that is entirely dependent on your spacing/neutral.

I feel like if you're going to be that broad with what OS means then almost anything could be considered an OS. I dunno.

It's still the same thing. Crouch tech either breaks the throw if they try to throw you OR you just crouch jab. It's the same thing as doing a normal and buffering a special in hopes of catching a limb. Complexity isn't a requirement to be an OS.

vulva

Anything that results in two different results based on hit detection, then I agree. Almost every definition I've seen of an Option Select focuses on either multiple inputs or hit detection exploits.

IE from SRK's wiki's glossary:
Option Select
- n. - When a player inputs multiple possible options at the same time, and the computer automatically selects the appropiate one according to the situation. As an extremely basic example, in Super Turbo, you attempt to throw your rival with Medium Punch. If you are within throw range, a throw will come out, otherwise a Medium Punch will come out.
Advanced option selects are used to reduce the risk of getting punished if your initial option fails. An example of this would be Honda's Auto Mix-up in Super Turbo. Basically, you do something, and if that something fails, another useful move comes out in its place, reducing (or eliminating, in some cases) the risk of geting punished for it.

and from SRK's Glossary itself:
Option select: Exploiting the game’s input detection to give yourself the best option based on a certain input. For example in SF4, if you press down+jab+short, the game may use a crouching attack, or tech a throw, or do nothing.

Like I get that you view OSes a certain way and for there to be a certain degree of use or safety in them, but at the core any time you input for multiple outcomes and different results happen based on hit detection, it's an OS.

Edzi

Anything that results in two different results based on hit detection, then I agree. Almost every definition I've seen of an Option Select focuses on either multiple inputs or hit detection exploits.

IE from SRK's wiki's glossary:
Option Select
- n. - When a player inputs multiple possible options at the same time, and the computer automatically selects the appropiate one according to the situation. As an extremely basic example, in Super Turbo, you attempt to throw your rival with Medium Punch. If you are within throw range, a throw will come out, otherwise a Medium Punch will come out.
Advanced option selects are used to reduce the risk of getting punished if your initial option fails. An example of this would be Honda's Auto Mix-up in Super Turbo. Basically, you do something, and if that something fails, another useful move comes out in its place, reducing (or eliminating, in some cases) the risk of geting punished for it.

and from SRK's Glossary itself:
Option select: Exploiting the game’s input detection to give yourself the best option based on a certain input. For example in SF4, if you press down+jab+short, the game may use a crouching attack, or tech a throw, or do nothing.

Like I get that you view OSes a certain way and for there to be a certain degree of use or safety in them, but at the core any time you input for multiple outcomes and different results happen based on hit detection, it's an OS.

I get you, I guess I just find that to be kind of a useless term then.

TheOGB

Banned
If it makes any difference, the June CPT missions are about to expire in like 25 minutes or so. Maybe they were waiting for that.

JusDoIt

Tried it, just didn't work with him or Rog. For rog I went with a remix of his Alpha 3 theme. For kolin I found a dope remix of gills theme. But ed has no history, and balrogs them for me is too, balrog for him so remix's don't exist. And while ed's theme isn't bad, I find it growing quickly annoying

I was gonna hate on that Kolin theme if it didn't have some ill drums, and while that ain't a chopped Amen break the programming is funky, so I accept it.

Top Bottom