• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

And dan is just... a very outdated KOF joke. And its like, do something with this character, because SNK did a bunch of cool shit with their joke reference character

They should add Dan's father, Go. This way they can reference old lore and make a better Dan without making Dan better.

Dan at least has the excuse of being a joke character. Sean doesn't have that excuse.
But Sean wasn't a joke character until 3rd Strike, he was actually pretty beastly early on in SF3. His excuse is that 3rd Strike's balance testers failed. :p
I always loved the fact that the series had a shoto for everyone. A balanced shoto (Ryu), an offensive Shoto (Ken), a Defensive Shoto (Gouken), a Glass Cannon Shoto (Akuma, Evil Ryu), a Joke Shoto (Dan) and a Grappler Shoto (Sean).
Shoto Fighter has never appealed to me, I like a more diverse cast. :\

joe2187

Banned
Oh wow. Post some pics when you can please :)

I got some invisible shelves to put together the Midnight bliss ones and the all the movie posters are going to get all the same frames eventually.

gonna hang em sometime soon.

r98RZCb.jpg

MrCarter

I got some invisible shelves to put together the Midnight bliss ones and the all the movie posters are going to get all the same frames eventually.

gonna hang em sometime soon.

Great stuff. I haven't read all of them yet but I've really enjoyed the comics so far. The level of detail in the artwork is very good.

I wonder if there will be an S3 at this point. I could see Capcom cutting their losses.

Why would they do that? They've already confirmed years of support. They probably are in the process of making shit for S3. It wouldn't make any sense for them to just give up on SFV, even with all the hate circling it. It's still the most played FG at tournaments, still draws in the most viewers (besides maybe smash?), and still pulls in esports money. They ain't dropping shit.

Why would they do that? They've already confirmed years of support. They probably are in the process of making shit for S3. It wouldn't make any sense for them to just give up on SFV, even with all the hate circling it. It's still the most played FG at tournaments, still draws in the most viewers (besides maybe smash?), and still pulls in esports money. They ain't dropping shit.

I hope ur right but with the way MvCI is looking and the radio silence following Ed's release I wonder if they've stretched their resources too thin.

I hope ur right but with the way MvCI is looking and the radio silence following Ed's release I wonder if they've stretched their resources too thin.

Radio silence is them being stupid and holding shit back for EVO (probably). They are still pumping out costumes, so it's not like they've quit.

MVCi is probably not going to hit 2 million in its target. Maybe 1 million. Despite that, people are gonna play it, begrudgingly buy the DLC, and tune in for tournaments. It won't be completely ideal in terms of viewership or sales or players total, since it's a squandered opportunity, but that, as a game, will probably live on like SFV did.

But you are right about one thing - I do think they've spread themselves out too far. It seems like the CFN took a great deal of effort to work through and fucked up the scheduling for everything else. Now with them probably scrambling to gussy up MVC, they have less time to focus on SFV. Once MVC releases, things will probably go smoother for them, although they should take this as a lesson to not put too much on their plate. And to be fair, I'm sure Marvel and licensing deals being timed is something they have to work around. In a perfect world they'd hit the delay button and push it back, but Marvel being involved means that ain't happening.

Pompadour

I wonder if there will be an S3 at this point. I could see Capcom cutting their losses.

I think it's probably a little too late to pump the brakes on S3. Regardless, I figure they'd scale back the scope of a future season (like releasing only three new characters) before dropping the game entirely.

The eSports aspect of SFV seems to be very successful so even if DLC sales become sluggish there's incentive to keep producing updates just to keep that revenue stream. But that's all conjecture. We'll have to wait for the CPT 2017 DLC pot bonus to suss out how well the DLC is selling.

Pompadour

If SFV was successful enough to fund an S2 I don't think MvCI's potential bomba would force Capcom to cease development on all fighting games. Logically, the opposite would happen and they'd put all their eggs into SFV's basket.

I think the radio silence for SFV is one of two things:

1. Resources are spread thin with MvCI under development so they're giving us what they have done.

2. They're saving up content for a bigger update to gain some media attention and possibly cleanse people's palates regarding the game. Constant, small updates are good for active players but they don't attract those who aren't already playing the game.

The difference between S1 and S2 was Capcom had to push out updates constantly because SFV was metaphorically hemorrhaging to death. There was a lot of basic shit missing and lots of stuff didn't work correctly.

SFV now is probably where it should have been at launch. That's not saying SFV is flawless and everything works fine but its release wouldn't have triggered a new wave of Capcom hatred that threatens to sink their other flagship fighting franchise. SFV is about "par" right now, not exceeding expectations (inb4 wheres arcade mode tho).

So since SFV is arguably in "stable" condition Capcom might want to build to a bigger update because SFV will only lose players over time with steady, smaller updates.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the panels are announced yet. But they aren't streamed anyway, so it wouldn't be the best place for an announcement.

Pompadour

I don't think the panels are announced yet. But they aren't streamed anyway, so it wouldn't be the best place for an announcement.

I don't know if they'll do one this year because I figure 50% of the questions the crowd asks would be snarky. Last year's panel was good because a GAFer relayed my question asking if there were going to be additional stage KOs.

I'm not sure what I'd ask this time around. Maybe get them to acknowledge the one-sided rollback in a public setting.

Blueblur1

Who would even sit on a SFV panel?

I just checked with a photo I have in my phone. The 2016 panel had the director Takayuki Nakayama, Haunts, Combofiend, another Capcom USA employee who was translating, and two other Japanese employees. I recall that Haunts and Combofiend barely said a word and it was mostly the translating employee talking.

With al the vitriol, some of it deservedly owed, there's no way they'd open themselves up to the slaughterhouse.

Yeah, I agree. I don't expect a panel this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked with a photo I have in my phone. The 2016 panel had the director Takayuki Nakayama, Haunts, Combofiend, another Capcom USA employee who was translating, and two other Japanese employees. I recall that Haunts and Combofiend barely said a word and it was mostly the translating employee talking.
Ah ok, didn't expect the Japanese devs there. Because I was thinking how Haunts is mia and Combofiend is mostly on Marvel now.

ElFly

If SFV was successful enough to fund an S2 I don't think MvCI's potential bomba would force Capcom to cease development on all fighting games. Logically, the opposite would happen and they'd put all their eggs into SFV's basket.

I think the radio silence for SFV is one of two things:

1. Resources are spread thin with MvCI under development so they're giving us what they have done.

2. They're saving up content for a bigger update to gain some media attention and possibly cleanse people's palates regarding the game. Constant, small updates are good for active players but they don't attract those who aren't already playing the game.

The difference between S1 and S2 was Capcom had to push out updates constantly because SFV was metaphorically hemorrhaging to death. There was a lot of basic shit missing and lots of stuff didn't work correctly.

SFV now is probably where it should have been at launch. That's not saying SFV is flawless and everything works fine but its release wouldn't have triggered a new wave of Capcom hatred that threatens to sink their other flagship fighting franchise. SFV is about "par" right now, not exceeding expectations (inb4 wheres arcade mode tho).

So since SFV is arguably in "stable" condition Capcom might want to build to a bigger update because SFV will only lose players over time with steady, smaller updates.

dunno if SFV is where it needed to be

-it still has no arcade mode (come on, survival mode is halfway there, this cannot be that hard)

-the story mode is subpar compared to the competition

-matchmaking is still ridiculously slow randomly, and the netcode hasn't improved much. there is still a whole day of downtime whenever they need to update the matchmaking servers (which is everytime they add something to the store, which is frankly ridiculous)

it'd be better received than SFV was at launch, but it wouldn't be a super great welcome. well, at least now it has a working store.

but if it is not where it needed to be at launch, it is clearly not where it need to be as a 1.5 years old title (not remembering exact dates here)

Matchmaking for me has been pretty fast, but I had to tinker with the port forwarding. To be fair, I had to do so with Tekken, but one probably shouldn't have to in order to find more matches.

Bob White

lol at the thought of season 3 only having 3 DLC characters. It wouldn't surprise me. And the kicker? Season pass still costs the same.

ElFly

Matchmaking for me has been pretty fast, but I had to tinker with the port forwarding. To be fair, I had to do so with Tekken, but one probably shouldn't have to in order to find more matches.

I've tinkered with ports to no avail

the matchmaking comes and goes; sometimes I get matches after a minute or so (which, considering all the loading and fake waiting is fast), sometimes I will go half an hour without a match

Spuck-uk

Banned

FWIW they just fixed Tekken matchmaking so you get games way faster.

FWIW they just fixed Tekken matchmaking so you get games way faster.

Yeah, with their matchmaking fix and the port forwarding I get games in both titles pretty fast now.

PF helps across the board no matter what the game is so it's always a good idea regardless.

Friday at 10am there's a Capcom panel...but I'm also supposed to play in Tekken and a Dragonball fighterz tourny hmm

wait nvm im in there

Top Bottom