• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Scotia

Banned
Dan at least has the excuse of being a joke character. Sean doesn't have that excuse.

Excuse for what? For being shit tier? Dan's shit tier because he just is. Sean is a fighter-in-training. There's a huge difference. What can Dan do to not be shit-tier? Nothing. What can Sean do? He's still learning to fight, he's got plenty of time to get better.

Even I don't defend F.A.N.G this vehemently.

Also remember that Sakura exists. So that fighter-in-training excuse isn't gonna fly here!

Scotia

Banned
I defend Sean because I feel that he gets bad rap for being a young fighter trying to get Ken to train him. I feel he's quite an interesting character that everyone sleeps on because he jobs a lot. I know I'm well known for defending him but for some reason I just can't let people trash him around unfairly. It's weird, I know.

Sakura's weird, she's literally a school girl that can do things Ken and Ryu took probably their entire childhood and adolescence to learn seemingly instantly. I don't really know how explain Sakura. Child prodigy? I don't know.

EDIT: I recommend watching DiGi Valentine's video on Sean if you have the time. I feel like he does a decent job in explaning some of the reasons I like Sean. Probably does a better job explaining it than I do lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPfndX-3qLM

I feel ya. I personally would've liked to have seen Sean with a fireball + grappling moves but they just went and gave that to Laura in the most annoying fashion possible. They already gave 2 of Sean's moves to Abel so he hasn't got that much "uniqueness" left.

I always loved the fact that the series had a shoto for everyone. A balanced shoto (Ryu), an offensive Shoto (Ken), a Defensive Shoto (Gouken), a Glass Cannon Shoto (Akuma, Evil Ryu), a Joke Shoto (Dan) and a Grappler Shoto (Sean).

Shadoken

Lmao why does story even matter for Tier list placement? Ryu is near the bottom now.

Sean was bottom tier in 3S because of the games balancing not because he was the "joke character" or "Student in training". Otherwise he wouldn't have been top tier in 2I.

I always loved the fact that the series had a shoto for everyone. A balanced shoto (Ryu), an offensive Shoto (Ken), a Defensive Shoto (Gouken), a Glass Cannon Shoto (Akuma, Evil Ryu), a Joke Shoto (Dan) and a Grappler Shoto (Sean).

I'd swap Gouken with Ryu or maybe even Sagat? for the defensive shoto. I feel like Gouken is far too different from the traditional Shoto style. ( Gameplay wise not story ).

Scotia

Banned
I feel ya. I personally would've liked to have seen Sean with a fireball + grappling moves but they just went and gave that to Laura in the most annoying fashion possible. They already gave 2 of Sean's moves to Abel so he hasn't got that much "uniqueness" left.

I always loved the fact that the series had a shoto for everyone. A balanced shoto (Ryu), an offensive Shoto (Ken), a Defensive Shoto (Gouken), a Glass Cannon Shoto (Akuma, Evil Ryu) and a Grappler Shoto (Sean).

I do like the mix of BJJ and shoto in Sean, it makes him really unique in terms of shotos imo. I always find it annoying when FGs give moves to other characters for no real reason (MKX was criminal for this). I can understand Laura getting some of those moves, but Abel getting some of them was an odd decision.

If they bring Sean back in SFV I'd like to see them make his moveset more BJJ heavy with some shoto in there, as an opposite to his shoto heavy, slight BJJ move set he had in SF3.

I'd swap Gouken with Ryu or maybe even Sagat? for the defensive shoto. I feel like Gouken is far too different from the traditional Shoto style. ( Gameplay wise not story ).
Ryu, I feel, is too good at everything to be classified as anything that isn't an all-rounder (Obviously I'm talking series wide, and not the stubby useless character that he is currently in SFV).

I personally always felt Gouken was a solid defensive character, because of his counter and the fact that playing reactive with him always felt satisfying to me.

But you're right, Sagat is probably the best example for the defensive shoto.

I do like the mix of BJJ and shoto in Sean, it makes him really unique in terms of shotos imo. I always find it annoying when FGs give moves to other characters for no real reason (MKX was criminal for this). I can understand Laura getting some of those moves, but Abel getting some of them was an odd decision.

If they bring Sean back in SFV I'd like to see them make his moveset more BJJ heavy with some shoto in there, as an opposite to his shoto heavy, slight BJJ move set he had in SF3.
I agree. Since he'll be younger in SFV, he could have a more BJJ focus and then learns shoto moves during SF3.

Scotia

Banned
I agree. Since he'll be younger in SFV, he could have a more BJJ focus and then learns shoto moves during SF3.

In terms of story development (I know, I know, not the top of some people's list of importance) it makes the most sense. I also think it'd be a very unique fighting style, something Capcom has said they're focusing on for SFV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish Capcom would at least bring Dan back as the trial mode dummy complete with padded gear.

Then people would be crying to have him be a serious character in the game.

Judging by how long it takes Capcom to release characters and patches, I'd rather them not spend their time and energy on jokes.

ElFly

Sean is cool because he's trying and will become better.

Dan is a SNK joke long past the point of actually being funny.

sean has never been cool

but yeah, Dan is kind of out of date now; even in SF4 they changed him too much and he didn't really look like a SNK reference

Scotia

Banned
Dan defeated Sagat.

Sean got his ass whip by Ryu.

Dan > Sean

Sagat let Dan win because he felt sorry for him.

Sean tried to fight Ryu two/three times because he refused to let Ken down. Plus, it's fucking Ryu. Bison lost to Ryu, Sagat lost to Ryu. Everyone loses to Ryu.

Sean > Dan

mbpm1

Just took a match off art online :O

at least I can take a match in favor of my character against a good player now

lost 2-1 tho but i had him guessing

Village

sean has never been cool

but yeah, Dan is kind of out of date now; even in SF4 they changed him too much and he didn't really look like a SNK reference
Sean was always cool

The worst thing about Dan, is that Ryo from kof is executed better as a joke chracter, because he's only visually a joke, other than that. He's literally one of the strongest dudes over there and was beating up Geese before terry even got to him. And in multiple games, design wise they just strait up abandon the SF visual reference and he's just a coll character by himself.

And dan is just... a very outdated KOF joke. And its like, do something with this character, because SNK did a bunch of cool shit with their joke reference character

]

Top Bottom