• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I honestly think that if your opponent is good at throw teching, Juri is literally the worst character in the game.

Followed very closely by Alex then FANG. I'd even go as far as to say that Ryu and F.A.N.G are on the same spot in regards to tiers.

I think Ryu can win a tournament. I've seen him in some Top 8s. His buffs aren't good but it's enough to keep him out of being unwinnable. He just takes far too much work.

Somebody ask if they're going to ever fix UI problems? I just reached the limit of replays you can apparently add and watch. You have to go in one by one and delete the replays to make "space". It's stuff like this that keeps people baffled about this game.

I hate that I have to add a replay to my list, then back out and go to my replays to watch it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The replay system is actually pretty sick with you being able to watch every match of every player, but the UI implementation has always been terrible.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of the CFN problems stem from the large amount of replay data.

ElFly

The replay system is actually pretty sick with you being able to watch every match of every player, but the UI implementation has always been terrible.
I actually wouldn't be surprised if some of the CFN problems stem from the large amount of replay data.

I've thought about this, but given that replays and exp points/league points seem to make it to the server even after an initial failure to connect, I think there's separate services for matchmaking, replay storage and points

in a lobby I assume the spectators are seeing a streamed replay. so at least there's need to be a server immediately available for the replay in a lobby. the aggression meter may be based on replay data too. by the same token, replay data does not seem to need any post processing so the server just gives spectators the same data it received?

it is possible that SFV does a little more behind the scenes than SF4 did thus making it require more infrastructure, but from where I am sitting, it doesn't look an order of magnitude more complex than what SF4 did

I think the biggest issue is when the matchmaking servers do as a proxy between people who cannot get a connection, but this is so laggy as to be useless, and in my experience, really really rare. maybe it is there only to make sure that any two players can have a match together no matter what. that may make CFN really work more and put a strain on the servers, but again, it is so rare and undesirable that I cannot imagine it being a big source of problems

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well even if it is separate services, it's still their "CFN" and could be what they've been working on or what has been stressing the servers.
And yeah, the replay data seems to be the "negotiated" version of a match that also decides about rollback states and things like that. That's also why you don't see lag in them even if that match was stuttery/in slow-motion or whatever.

And could you really do the same things in SF4? Like follow specific account and watch all their matches? I remember early on, some players actually didn't like that you could watch EVERYTHING.

FluxWaveZ

And yeah, the replay data seems to be the "negotiated" version of a match that also decides about rollback states and things like that. That's also why you don't see lag in them even if that match was stuttery/in slow-motion or whatever.

All the replay data consists of are a player's button inputs and aesthetic properties like background and costumes. It's just like replays for StarCraft II; they're not actually video archives (so the file sizes are extremely small). It's why I doubt they'd have a real impact on the integrity of CFN.

mbpm1

I honestly think that if your opponent is good at throw teching, Juri is literally the worst character in the game.

Followed very closely by Alex then FANG. I'd even go as far as to say that Ryu and F.A.N.G are on the same spot in regards to tiers.

Even with all the buffs, doesn't change the fact that FANG has to work 3 times as harder and take 3 times as many risks to get the same result as a character like Necalli.
I fought mono's fang online yesterday. Nerf fang

While Killer Instinct's replay function lacks options that SFV's replay viewer has, KI's replays also display rollback and lag (if any) exactly as it occurred for you.

ElFly

Well even if it is separate services, it's still their "CFN" and could be what they've been working on or what has been stressing the servers.

well yeah, it is all CFN. we also don't see under the covers so much for the match making and replay, as we do with the league points, which we regularly see fail and then get through, but on the other hand I don't remember the list of replays ever failing to load

which is why, in my mind, they are somewhat separate services

but it could also be that once someone is "hooked" into a matchmaking server, the rate of matchmaking will depend on how loaded with replays/league points/whatever the server is. Depending on how they are grouped

it's possible the matchmaking / league points is one thing and the replay service is separated from that. matchmaking and league points/fight money are the services that seem the less reliable. it'd make sense to group them, as matchmaking depends on league points, at least for ranked matches, and your points/fight money will update once you get the next match lined up by the matchmaking server, even if they "failed to send data to the servers", so basically once you "get through" to the matchmaking server again, all your points go in

While Killer Instinct's replay function lacks options that SFV's replay viewer has, KI's replays also display rollback and lag (if any) exactly as it occurred for you.

that's amazing

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah so that looks like Killer Instinct uses whatever a player locally received through the netcode, not the "negotiated" version (is there a name for that state?).

But now I have to wonder, can you watch both sides and see different things then?

Yeah so that looks like Killer Instinct uses whatever a player received through the netcode.

But now I have to wonder, can you watch both sides and see different things then?
In periods of rollback, the end result will be the same thing but there will be differences in the part that gets rollback.

When the game first came out, there was actually a very real issue of de-sync where straight up 2 separate games were going on. One person could be playing a completely different match as compared to the other person.

what does RAAM horde of bats do anyway
You'll have to specify which.

He has one which is a focus attack. It can absorb an infinite amount of projectiles or one physical hit. It's +8 oB, poisons them and knocks down on hit, and is an unblockable that staggers (leading to an easy combo) + poison when fully charged. He can spend half a bar of meter to cancel any normal or his stab special into it, and he can cancel the focus attack into a forward or back dash.

The one where the bats cover the background? That's his Instinct. The game's version of V-Trigger. RAAM's instinct covers the screen and himself with bats, making it incredibly hard to see. But more importantly, your opponent keeps taking potential damage. That means that if you manage to start a combo and then properly end it, you lose a lot more health than usual. It's one of the deadliest comeback factors in the game as landing a single hit into a combo ender can mean half your health gone or more, as you can see here or here

not any notable top 8's i'd bet. He aint winning shit lol

One of them took out Nemo a few months ago and made it to a Japanese Top 8 from it IIRC.

Another one made it to Top 8 with Smug, Chris G, and a few other killers wandering around. He switched when he got sent to losers though.

Other than that, I don't remember him popping up much. I have faith though!

things went south p fast for that poor jago :(

I don't think those matches makes it apparent, but RAAM is like an unholy fusion of Gief from SFIV with FANG.

RAAM has a poison mechanic which takes a pretty decent chunk of the opponent's health over time.

He has the best command grab in the game that always gives you a hard knockdown which you can reset or OTG off of (leading to more setups). He has arguably one of the best AA normal in the game with his cr.hp (which can often be cancelled into the poison move for free poison).

And his EX command grab is 1-frame startup. LITERALLY the fastest move in the game, and it has throw invincibility which means he can punish in situations where even DPs might not work. And Orchid has a 2-frame startup fully invincible meterless DP.

His normals are pretty scary, plus(ish) on block and have damn good range.

But to counter, he is THE SLOWEST character in the game with the least mobility options in general. He depends on hard reads and slow and patient play. If you do play him well though, he can have the highest damage output in the game if you mix poison and/or instinct in with his combos or grabs.

mbpm1

Raam is such a beast. I should dip my toes back into ki just for him sometime
I had a blast playing him while I was in it

I dream that I'll see him in other places sometime

Village

Is that the tan one?

Cause I already did 14 and 15.

I'm setting him in until Abby.

Its the one where he gets a tan, goes platinum blond, and they give him darker more realistic military green.

014.png

Village

I wish every color 15 was good

Vegan has that rocking black outfit and kolin gets nothing special

Depends on the outfit

Kolins 15 for her story turns into a x men

Unrelated on of my favorite ed's

Okay, that color is boss.

One of the types of colors I like are variances on main colors
Another thing I enjoy is changed to hair and skin color

Can't believe I'm still like 5 levels away from unlocking FANG's level 50.

This is a character I even did hard survival with!

I'll get my levels 50 when I get to them

I did extreme survival with urien and it barley dented his exp after level 30

I'll get there when I get there.

Can the more experienced players answer a question for me please.

Why is it that some times i play people and its like they games rules dont apply.

For example as mika if i hit a combo ending in flying peach i should be able to dash and do mk and have it beat any normal wake up button. However sometimes i play someone and they get up faster and hit me. And it applies to all my follow ups so i basically cant rely on anything to actually hit and instead doing a follow up means i am getting massively punished every time.

Its not like once in a while in the match. Its every time. Is it just lag?

sixghost

Can the more experienced players answer a question for me please.

Why is it that some times i play people and its like they games rules dont apply.

For example as mika if i hit a combo ending in flying peach i should be able to dash and do mk and have it beat any normal wake up button. However sometimes i play someone and they get up faster and hit me. And it applies to all my follow ups so i basically cant rely on anything to actually hit and instead doing a follow up means i am getting massively punished every time.

Maybe the timing is real tight to beat a quick-rise, and you're used to most people doing the back recovery? That's been my experience whenever I try to use one of those setups that cover both recovery options.

Try the setup in training mode against a dummy with random recovery using a 3 frame move on wakeup.

FluxWaveZ

Specific situations have specific reasons; the answer is usually not "lag." What you're talking about concerning the dash > f.MK follow-up to a Peach with Mika will happen at certain distances when a Peach hits meaty (in this case, it means later in its active frames than it usually hits). If you're slightly too far, your advantage on the opponent's rise will be +2 more or something than it usually is, causing the f.MK to whiff.

If it's every single time, though, it has to come down to user error.

MCD250

I normally don't like Cammy's premium outfit, but I love the way it looks in that icy white color and have been rocking it almost since it came out. It's slick as hell.

Specific situations have specific reasons; the answer is usually not "lag." What you're talking about concerning the dash > f.MK follow-up to a Peach with Mika will happen at certain distances when a Peach hits meaty (in this case, it means later in its active frames than it usually hits). If you're slightly too far, your advantage on the opponent's rise will be +2 more or something than it usually is, causing the f.MK to whiff.

If it's every single time, though, it has to come down to user error.

No its not wiffing. In 95% of matches it works exactly as it should. But when this happens they hit me before the mk has even finished its start up frames. Like they are rising faster than should be possible. And they will be able to do it every time. Next person i fight it will work as intended.

Basically stuff i have done in practise against 3 frame wake ups and know works. A few rare people seem to somehow rise faster than should be possible.

FluxWaveZ

No its not wiffing. In 95% of matches it works exactly as it should. But when this happens they hit me before the mk has even finished its start up frames. Like they are rising faster than should be possible. And they will be able to do it every time. Next person i fight it will work as intended.

Basically stuff i have done in practise against 3 frame wake ups and know works. A few rare people seem to somehow rise faster than should be possible.

That's impossible, so it comes down to user error. Posting a video of it happening could help. I mean, lag could be a factor, but then that would have its hand on a whole lot of other things going on during a match, which would be easy to recognize.

Ryce

There's going to be a SF panel at Comic-Con:
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
Shoryuken! Celebrate 30 years of Street Fighter by taking a look at the past, present, and future of Capcom's beloved fighting game series. Hear behind-the-scenes stories from key team members and expect some fun and games—and maybe even a surprise visit from executive producer Yoshinori Ono, too!
Friday July 21, 2017 12:45pm - 1:45pm
Room 6BCF

That's impossible, so it comes down to user error. Posting a video of it happening could help. I mean, lag could be a factor, but then that would have its hand on a whole lot of other things going on during a match, which would be easy to recognize.
I should have recorded it then compared it to the replay or something.

But the three moves are

Flying peach > dash into mk. This counter hits quick rise and back rise.

Body splash > dash f+hp.

Wingless aero > dash > lp.

In almost all matches and training this works. But very rarely it doesnt and what i described happens where they seem to rise early. I was way to generous before saying 5% of the time because in reality its less than 1% of the time. Today was infact the first time in ages i encountered this issue. And i played 4 matches against him and every time without fail none of the above worked. Its odd.

He was pc and had something like 94% win rate. Was super silver and seems like he hasnt played ranked in months. Just seems odd thats all.

Blueblur1

There's going to be a SF panel at Comic-Con:

Ono's gonna be there, huh? Maybe he's gonna make good on his tease from January? Whatever the surprise is it's probably not anything major for SFV. It makes more sense to save Super SFV for PSX/Capcom Cup.

It's probably more merchandise or something of that nature.

mbpm1

I think if there was actually a super sfv that would be leaked somehow a week before release

capcom can't keep stuff from us forever with their record

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ono's gonna be there, huh? Maybe he's gonna make good on his tease from January? Whatever the surprise is it's probably not anything major for SFV. It makes more sense to save Super SFV for PSX/Capcom Cup.

It's probably more merchandise or something of that nature.

4 new chun titty costumes. A remake of an old stage. An announcement that nostalgia costumes will be coming at a later date.

Top Bottom