• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Japan doesn't really have CPT tournaments either considering its skilled playerbase.

They had 3 each in 2015 and 2016, but they're all the way down to just 1 this year. At least it's a Premier event. But that really sucks for the locals who can't travel. I can't imagine buying a plane ticket to the regional event in Australia or Thailand is cheap.

But I wonder if this is actually the fault of the locals more than anybody else. Are the Japanese failing to step up and host local events that can be apart of the CPT? It seems like if Momochi and Choco didn't step up to host Japan Cup then maybe there wouldn't even be one.

Producer

They had 3 each in 2015 and 2016, but they're all the way down to just 1 this year. At least it's a Premier event. But that really sucks for the locals who can't travel. I can't imagine buying a plane ticket to the regional event in Australia or Thailand is cheap.

But I wonder if this is actually the fault of the locals more than anybody else. Are the Japanese failing to step up and host local events that can be apart of the CPT? It seems like if Momochi and Choco didn't step up to host Japan Cup then maybe there wouldn't even be one.

I thought it was due to big prize money being forbidden

I thought it was due to big prize money being forbidden

That shouldn't matter, every Japanese premier event except one had an actual pay out. The one that did pay out, provided the money on there own instead of having it come from Capcom(the Nesica tourney I think).

But anyways I'm about the really simplify it. But if there are people who want to host an event in Japan can't they just plan an event, submit it to Capcom, Capcom approves, and they get to slap the CPT logo on their event? No pay out of course, but the points and winning the tournament to quality for CPT Asia Finals is still a pretty valuable prize.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The average consumer doesn't care that Tekken spent time getting itself right. Before FR, it was a mess balance wise. It's like in Ultra state right now. Maybe SFV should have spent time in the arcades, I don't know, but I feel like people more forgiving about a long two year delay than, like, a horrible over-year product.

That isn't to say both shouldn't get shit. They absolutely should, given their context. And NB has been WAY better about communication and dealing with issues, even if they have a long way to go. But that's the reality, you know?

Edit: Two things.

CVS2 Bison was fairly fun to watch, I forgot about him.
And Tekken 4 def needs a reimaging or a patch one day. Won't happen, but still.

Streetfighter 5 is pretty well balanced really.

Thats not why most of the SF4 players I know dropped it. They dropped it because it's not very fun, and characters play incredibly similarly compared to older games.

Cody Fighter V

Streetfighter 5 is pretty well balanced really.

Thats not why most of the SF4 players I know dropped it. They dropped it because it's not very fun, and characters play incredibly similarly compared to older games.

Cody Fighter V

Well, it's not that the characters play similar to each other, it's that the most prevent style is rushdown. Most characters are drastically different from each other, but most of them fall under aggression. What makes it worse is that the aggression means you straight up don't get to use your tools and have "fun" sometimes because things snowball and there aren't many defensive options.

So essentially, due to all the systems in place, some characters don't get to access that "fun" as much as they did before. Capcom needs to flesh out the V-System more, so that you not only have more access to options and "fun", but also get to play various styles within a character's toolset. Maybe, with the inclusion of defensive options in general (no, not OS and shit, I mean like things that prevent so many scrambles). they could also allow the v-system be the thing that alters your playstyle. Maybe a new one allows you to, I dunno, do something different as Bison since you don't always get to use that parry and it lets you open dudes up with some R/R. Or maybe a juggle state flash kick for Guile.

Obviously, I want them to buff the existing ones, too.

For comparison, SFEX is SUPER homogenized. Most of the characters damn near have the same normals. But it kind of gets away with it by using the excel system, guard breaks, etc. Still busted, but it least it has that variance/spice. Street Fighter V is like half flavored right now. Put some mustard on that shit, Capcom.

Capcom needs to do a beta like they did with SF4 in the arcade after every CPT. The Bullhead "nerf" does nothing for some characters. They can't balance the game themselves.

But hey Esports, "Please buy our nasty drinks"

Pompadour

Sounds just like capcom

Eh, that doesn't track. It sounds more like ASW or any fighting game dev that just creates a new game instead of building on the previous one for longer than year.

If you mean "pay to play" as "pay to play dress up" then sure.

In fact, if we go by some pro player opinions SFV is a game you play to get paid.

Well, it's not that the characters play similar to each other, it's that the most prevent style is rushdown. Most characters are drastically different from each other, but most of them fall under aggression. What makes it worse is that the aggression means you straight up don't get to use your tools and have "fun" sometimes because things snowball and there aren't many defensive options.

So essentially, due to all the systems in place, some characters don't get to access that "fun" as much as they did before. Capcom needs to flesh out the V-System more, so that you not only have more access to options and "fun", but also get to play various styles within a character's toolset. Maybe, with the inclusion of defensive options in general (no, not OS and shit, I mean like things that prevent so many scrambles). they could also allow the v-system be the thing that alters your playstyle. Maybe a new one allows you to, I dunno, do something different as Bison since you don't always get to use that parry and it lets you open dudes up with some R/R. Or maybe a juggle state flash kick for Guile.

Obviously, I want them to buff the existing ones, too.

For comparison, SFEX is SUPER homogenized. Most of the characters damn near have the same normals. But it kind of gets away with it by using the excel system, guard breaks, etc. Still busted, but it least it has that variance/spice. Street Fighter V is like half flavored right now. Put some mustard on that shit, Capcom.

One of my chief complaints about SFV is that the game doesn't really give you room to breathe - if you're on offense, if you haven't figured out how to maintain your momentum, you're playing sub-optimally. If you're getting hit, you constantly have to guess correctly in order to just have a chance at getting a turn. SF4 was better about finding situations to let both players breathe and resume their gameplay from a default position that wasn't a round start.

This is the area I hope they investigate more later this year.

Skilletor

IF there is a super version, then all of the stuff they've been saying about MvCI re: making characters your own/having your own playstyle, makes me optimistic about any potential SF5 update. A lot of the stuff they're saying seems like a direct reaction to how people are feeling about SF5 since launch. Hope they look at the update as an opportunity to address these areas in SF5 as well.

Ganyc

Arcade is what kept Tekken 7 hostage for 2 years

and in those 2 years they only came up with treasure mode and a bad story (and character "stories") with a bad lobby system (i really hope that at least the lobbies will get a patch)

something neat from the SF Reddit:

A couple of days ago, Flowtron has posted a few comments under different Eventhubs articles, in which he talks about the supposed "leaked" list of characters that will appear in Street Fighter V next year as a part of Season 3 (or season 2018, whichever you prefer).

For those of you who don't know who Flowtron is - he is the guy that basically leaked the entire list of Season 2 characters back in October of last year, and to this day his leak remains true. We already have 2 of the characters that came out in 2017 (Kolin and Ed), and there's multiple hints that Abigail is the next newcomer to the roster, plus we've seen Menat (the 5th character) in Ed's story mode, with Zeku (the 6th character) still remaining in the shadows.

Anyways, a few weeks ago, there was a leak/rumor about the "Super Street Fighter V" update and the Season 3 characters (which, incidentally, Alex Valle has named in his tweet from May 9th) - Sagat, Sakura, Oro, Viper, Necro, and Q. Flowtron has suddenly decided to step in and here's what he had to say:

Sagat and Sakura are confirmed to be coming to SFV. Obviously they will differ from their previous iterations gameplay-wise, but it's unknown how and in which ways exactly
Oro, Viper, Q and Necro are deconfirmed, so they aren't being added with Season 3 next year. However it doesn't mean they won't be added to the game in the future. Season 4 maybe?
For obvious reasons, Flowtron can't say who or what is his source of information, but considering how Season 2 is coming along, I think we can trust him in regards to Season 3 as well

He also said that Abigail will be huge (in fact twice as big as Ken), Menat is a truly new character to the universe akin to the newcomers from SFV's starting roster, and that all of the 3 remaining Season 2 characters will receive new designs, which obviously means we shouldn't expect them to look even slighly similar to their respective CFN profiles (and this has also been the case for Akuma and Ed).

With all of that in mind... what do you guys think? Who can fill in the remaining 4 slots for Season 3? And will we see an Abigail reveal this weekend at EVO?
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...wtron_the_original_s2_leaker_comments_on_the/

kirblar

One of my chief complaints about SFV is that the game doesn't really give you room to breathe - if you're on offense, if you haven't figured out how to maintain your momentum, you're playing sub-optimally. If you're getting hit, you constantly have to guess correctly in order to just have a chance at getting a turn. SF4 was better about finding situations to let both players breathe and resume their gameplay from a default position that wasn't a round start.

Yup. Watching USF2 makes it abundantly clear that this is the core issue.

Nerf dashes, force players farther apart, make normals longer, etc.

SF4 is back! Finally rid of SFV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzGAJIzKlzg

I still don't think they even need to do much. As other people said, extend the hitboxes a bit, add some defensive options, make v-stuff better overall (and the focus), and you got a stew.

Android users didn't get this because they're saving 3S for us, right?

I love 3S

street-fighter-4-volt-1.jpg

Village

Show me the name and/or flag of of the person i'm fighting in ranked. Because i'm tired of getting these Brazillian Firsher price connections.

Top Bottom