• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SFV made Ono age a lot faster

onothssj.png

I played necro

My brother played him a lot more than me, he liked him being stretchy and electric

dozensofus.jpg

Necro and 12 were bootygarbage but again so was Birdie lol

No they aren't lol

Akuma was boring and flowcharty and 4. Bison was boring to watch and play besides st.hk. The only time I found Bison fun to watch is when people did goofy shit with his custom combos in the Alpha games but that's like because of the CC system and not because he's a fun looking character. Same thing with the EX games.

Edit: Taking out his back fireball in Akuma's case is some bullshit so those who wanna play lame ain't gonna have fun.

mbpm1

Akuma is still just as flow charty now. It's just that instead of neutral control he does neutral counter pokes instead.

Bison gained cool stuff but most of the time again he does one or two things and waits for you to hang your self

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly really appreciate most of these "remixes", even how Akuma looks lol

My fear is actually that they think this was a mistake because of the general SFV backlash and they go the safe route again when (and if) they make another fighting game.

Zangief and Dhalsim are probably my favorite new takes on characters. Not too much of a fan of the new Bison, though.

My fear is actually that they think this was a mistake because of the general SFV backlash and they go the safe route again when (and if) they make another fighting game.
Hopefully this game doesn't go the Tekken 4 route. Harada thinks every single thing in T4 was bad just because the game itself sold poorly. It's gotten to the point where there's zero innovation in Tekken anymore because of that.

ElFly

Bison has been so different from entry to entry he may as well be a different character in each

well, 2 and 4 are reasonably, more or less the same guy. Alpha and V are different to him and to one another.

re: Necro and Oro. I played Necro in the little SF3 that I played. wanted to like the grapplers but they are not good in that series

Oro is prolly the most interesting character in SF3, at least design/lore wise

No akuma is more flowcharty than 4.

What was good about Akuma in 3? Never touched him.

Eh, 4 Akuma you had different ways to play him. Tokido prioritized dealing less damage to get opponents into a vortex position while Infil chose to prioritize maximizing damage.

those were the only top akuma's in SFIV (that I can think of tbh), but they played differently.

Sako vs Tokido's Akuma in SFV? cr.HP walk up cr.HP, fish for CC and go to town lmao

Eh, 4 Akuma you had different ways to play him. Tokido prioritized dealing less damage to get opponents into a vortex position while Infil chose to prioritize maximizing damage.

those were the only top akuma's in SFIV (that I can think of tbh), but they played differently.

Sako vs Tokido's Akuma in SFV? cr.HP walk up cr.HP, fish for CC and go to town lmao

Call me crazy but I'm starting to get the feeling that you may not be too fond of SfV. And that you actually may prefer SfIv.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Tekken was actually one reason for these thoughts, ha. Like, people straight up recommend years old videos from past titles when you ask for a Tekken 7 character guide. Frame data and damage will be a little different, but the characters stay extremely similar.
Street Fighter is the opposite of that and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't, but I want to keep it that way.

And SF2 and 4 are my main titles so maybe that's why I want my Official Bison Pressure and don't like this remix.

Oh, I don't disagree, you could play Akuma differently but that's only in the scope of his vortex shit which made it boring as fuck to watch after a while. This Akuma still has vortex shit, but it's not as overt.

And Sako and Tokido still play differently from each other. Sako takes WAY more risks with his shit and Tokido, when he isn't tilted, does shit for style points and likes to be a wall. The tools are similar. The execution isn't.

ElFly

Tekken was actually one reason for these thoughts, ha. Like, people straight up recommend years old videos from past titles when you ask for a Tekken 7 character guide. Frame data and damage will be a little different, but the characters stay extremely similar.
Street Fighter is the opposite of that and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't, but I want to keep it that way.

And SF2 and 4 are my main titles so maybe that's why I want my Official Bison Pressure and don't like this remix.

to be fair, you cannot reasonably ask they completely redo the hundreds of moves Tekken has, from one entry to the next

and the players cannot be relearning the phonebook of moves again and again either

No they aren't lol

Watching Bison hit confirm from 23 cr.lks in a row into scissor kick was not particularly exciting.

Hopefully this game doesn't go the Tekken 4 route. Harada thinks every single thing in T4 was bad just because the game itself sold poorly. It's gotten to the point where there's zero innovation in Tekken anymore because of that.

^^^this.

I liked T4 for what it attempted. Could have benefitted from a second version, like all the other Tekken games received.

MrCarter

Eh they've done pretty well changing up old styles. Juri not withstanding, but dudes like Bison and Akuma are way more fun than they've ever been.

Yeah as much as people like to whine that characters should stay original (then whine again when they didn't design something new) I think they have done a very good job in differentiating each character in SFV from their previous iteration. Bison, Akuma, Ken, Birdie and Dhalsim are just some of the highlights.

DunpealD

Normally I would agree, but I think we all know that SFV has become the public toilet of fighting games. While Capcom keeps failing to clean up the mess.
SFV is the first fighting game that has stirred so much animosity, as far as I can remember. Which makes it a prime target for fanboys trying to stirr shit up, since Street Fighter has the reputation of being the premier fighting game.
But even for casuals it has become the sign of Capcoms deterioration.
It even surprises me that it left the missing week of challenges unscathed.

SFV launch was so disastrous, it's pretty much become the lowest bar ever. To the point of people just saying "at least it's not like SFV". That's quite an achievement.

Unlike Capcom, Arika isn't put on a high pedestal and are at least showing a shiny new game and possibly the return of SFEX favorite original characters.

Personally I would really like SFV to reverse the situation. Especially when it's doing things well like CFN replays and at least the option of earning new characters by playing.
But it's going to take a lot, even Drive Club couldn't make it back then.

Kashiwaba

Normally I would agree, but I think we all know that SFV has become the public toilet of fighting games. While Capcom keeps failing to clean up the mess.
SFV is the first fighting game that has stirred so much animosity, as far as I can remember. Which makes it a prime target for fanboys trying to stirr shit up, since Street Fighter has the reputation of being the premier fighting game.

SFV launch was so disastrous, it's pretty much become the lowest bar ever. To the point of people just saying "at least it's not like SFV". That's quite an achievement.

Unlike Capcom, Arika isn't put on a high pedestal and are at least showing a shiny new game and possibly the return of SFEX favorite original characters.

Personally I would really like SFV to reverse the situation. Especially when it's doing things well like CFN replays and at least the option of earning new characters by playing.

Yet Bamco is getting a free pass despite the miserable state of Tekken 7 online on ps4 and last time i heard the last patch even broke the pc version online (not sure about it), not to mention their game launching barebone despite it being on arcade for 2 years and charging for added modes, horrible input lag...etc. Things like this make me not take the fgc and fighting game reviews seriously.

Village

I liked bison in 4, he had long limbs

And he sounded like he would say " bah humbug" everytime he did ultra 2, so I would say it every time he did ultra 2. It helps I can do a really good impersonation of his english VO

I totally agree that it's going to take some real effort to bring people back, but I don't think Arika's game is going to put a big enough dent in things to route people away. Injustice, Tekken, and KOF didn't. And Arika, if they go the way of crowd funding, is going to have a super tough time.

They need to have a bevy of modes, good online, a fun gameplay system, and all the trappings that normal fighters have (a replay system, best of 3 for ranked, etc). On a budget of a KS, I don't see that happening. And even then, with all those goodies, it doesn't mean people will come and play the game. When people find out that this game isn't going to play like EX and instead play like a combo of FL and EX, it's gonna get that kusoge label unless they change stuff up. What worked in the past (well, it didn't, because the EX games and FL weren't popular) isn't going to work here, especially when the game doesn't have stuff like Excel.

Like, I wish them the best, but even not on a pedstel it's gonna have a tough time.

MrCarter

SFV launch was so disastrous, it's pretty much become the lowest bar ever. To the point of people just saying "at least it's not like SFV". That's quite an achievement

I think nearly all of what you posted was pure and unadulterated hyperbole. Launch was a mess, I agree, however most of the shit emanating is from a lot of the "hate" r/Kappa bandwagon - a group that would literally be toxic about anything Capcom would produce due to how popular the games are over "their" FG, yet still go onto play them. As for the animosity, I don't think you have been around the days when SFIV was released or how badly SF3 sold, trust me, it was a shitfest too. It's just now we have social media. I personally don't think Arika could make a dent on SF but I'll still enjoy whatever the hell they make.

ESPN2 will show live broadcast of the SFV finals on Sunday @ 10 PM EST: http://shoryuken.com/2017/07/11/evo...als-will-be-broadcast-live-from-mandalay-bay/

Oh nice. Last year was really good and had great figures too. Not sure it will do better than E-League though.

I think more or less games would need to be a literal replacement. For some people, it's either SF or nothing.

But at the same time, people might play other games less. I do think people are starting to play multiple games like they did in the past now that a lot of options exist. Whether not they stick with it is anyone's guess. But a full transition en masse isn't happening.

SFV for sure needs a goddamn refresher at the end of the year. New shit all around. I'd rather the QoL stuff come right NOW and not in some package. But hey, whatever.

The concept of Abby sounds sick, I just hope they do right by him. I don't want a non-viable character because of his size.

Top Bottom