• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I still don't think they even need to do much. As other people said, extend the hitboxes a bit, add some defensive options, make v-stuff better overall (and the focus), and you got a stew.

Nah, they aren't far. It's all accomplishable within the core framework the game is built around. They just need to come around to it. They could at least start by acknowledging that these are at least things they are looking into.

mbpm1

Nah, they aren't far. It's all accomplishable within the core framework the game is built around. They just need to come around to it. They could at least start by acknowledging that these are at least things they are looking into.

I don't care if they acknowledge it if they don't fix it. I'd like both though, but i feel like Capcom has done the "we hear you guys" in the past and then gone dark on us.

Yo, question to the community. What was your first Street Fighter? I've been curious about where people started with the series. For me, the first Street Fighter I played was Third Strike on the Dreamcast when I was about 7 or 8. It was also the very first fighting game I ever played.

Blueblur1

Tbh I'm playing that same racist game in my airport heading to Vegas right now

The pot calling the kettle black! Lol jk

What's this about announcements? I've been practically offline since yesterday morning. I'm a horrible procrastinator; I got everything packed and ready for my flight at 2 am last night and had to wake up at 5:30 am today. And even then I almost missed my flight. 😓

I can either
Get a booty ass Hori for 175 and have it come Tuesday
Get a Razer for 250ish from Gameshit and have it come Tuesday (or order from their store for 214 and wait god knows how long)
Get a Quanba for 200 and wait god knows how long

Problem is, I need a stick soon because this pad is hurting my hand, but I don't know if I wanna spend the extra dosh for shipping ASAP.

Decisions decisions.

I actually rather they didn't say shit because I don't want them changing anything due to kneejerk complaints.

But at least tell us more options are coming in general, though.

As long as they do.

Blueblur1

Yo, question to the community. What was your first Street Fighter? I've been curious about where people started with the series. For me, the first Street Fighter I played was Third Strike on the Dreamcast when I was about 7 or 8. It was also the very first fighting game I ever played.

Street Fighter II in the arcades for me. I was like 7. Then I got Super SF II for SNES and a smattering of home console Vs games. But I played them all casually.

I didn't start to build an appreciation for the competitive aspect of fightings until late SFIV era. And it only happened because close friends of mine introduced me into the FGC.

Teh Lurv

Street Fighter 2 in the arcade. I think I was twelve at the time. I never really played it enough to really get any good at it until the home ports came along.

Skilletor

Street fighter 2 in arcades for me. I was 10 or 11. Been hooked ever since.

I have several friends that I've known since I was 13 and it's because of sf, tekken, msh, xvs, and sc. we still get together almost every Saturday to play fighters.

At evo, brought monitor, forgot power cord. :(

Ggs.

Village

Tekken was my first fighting game, I had a ps1, had tekken 1 , 2 and 3. My cousin comes over and bring this thing called SF, I've never heard of it, i'm really young at the time we put it in, I see a guy that looks like a demon ( akuma) and cody , and I thought it was the tightest shit. I then learned that SF and Tekken were the same type of game, and then sought out to find other games liked it.

And so SFA3 was my first street fighter.

Blueblur1

Nice enjoy your time mate. Take lots of pics and post here!

I'll do my best. I'm also set to contribute to the live r/SF thread.

What do you guys think would be the easiest way to upload any matches I record? I doubt the cell service in the convention center will be great so I need an easy way to upload quick videos even if the quality is bad.

MrCarter

SF2 on the Snes was my first introduction to the world of Street Fighter. I remember playing it round my uncles house at the time as we didn't have that console and I was hooked ever since. SF Alpha series is a particularly fave of mine too. I unfortunately never knew anything about SF3 until Third Strike which was a shame as it would have been very popular with the right marketing.

SF2 on snes for me.

My dad actually bought the snes + sf2, so it was also my 2nd snes game.

Edit: got curious; adjust for inflation this cost 800 fucking euros.

Started with SF2 in the arcades, and just fucking fell in love. Made sure to play the absolute shit out of the games. I only ever understood what was going on in the tail end of SFIV, and now I'm trash level but I know a lot more!

Also y'all need to decide what I should do with these sticks. I'm about to drop an extra 50 so I can get my stick on Tuesday. Lord help me.

Pompadour

Street Fighter II at a local bowling alley.

remz

First fighter ever was SF2 CE when i was a little tyke on my dad's Mega Drive. First one I really got into was probably Soul Calibur on DC, GGX2 on the OG xbox is the game that got me really obsessed with fighters tho

Neoxon

Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact, played Urien when I was a little kid. MvC1 got me into fighting games (as well as comics & video games in general), but SFIII:2I pushed me to try out the other SF cabinets at the arcade (Super Turbo & the later 2 Alpha games to name a few). When 3rd Strike came into our arcade, it & MvC2 consumed most of my quarters. The rest was history.

Street Fighter 2 for the Sega Genesis, I think. Champion Edition, not Super. I didn't have a six button controller, so it was kinda weird.

Gift of Fury

Neo Member

Street Fighter II in the arcade. I didn't really dive in until I got it on the SNES the following year.

Kashiwaba

SF2 in arcade but SF4 was the first one i took seriously and actually learned playing at a decent level.

Street Fighter 2 for the Sega Genesis, I think. Champion Edition, not Super. I didn't have a six button controller, so it was kinda weird.

Damn same here, Special Champion Edition. Having to press Start to swap punches and kicks was something. We also ended up with Super SF2 down the line.

MK2, Ultimate MK3, and Eternal Champions were played about as much as SF2 (especially the MK's), but SF2 was definitely the first. After that it was Alpha 3 -> 3rd Strike -> V, alongside watching a boatload of IV.

Street Fighter II in the arcade and convenient stores. I didn't have a chance to really play a lot until the SNES version.

With nobody decent enough to play against, I played pretty much every SF game casually against the CPU until SFV. Online was always borderline unplayable for me, so this is the first SF I've ever played competitively and had a chance to become decent with.

SephLuis

SF II The New Challengers. I was in diapers according to my older sister.
My earliest memories is also playing this and I was probably around 4 years old, I guess.

I actually started playing more seriously when I was around 14 years old and started learning the basics and playing online on 2DF. It then went SF 2 -> SFA 3 -> SF3 3S.

This was a little before SF4 had been announced too.

Edzi

Third strike (online edition), not because I was part of that generation (lol) but because I was trying to get into fighters a few years ago but didn't want to commit to sf4 until Ultra came out.

Skilletor

3s is a funny game for me. I hated it at release and for a long time after, but the past couple years I've stopped treating it like an sf and just as its own thing. Now I think it's great...as a fighting game. Not as an entry in the sf series.

Shadoken

SF2 on the ....... PC lulz , I think it was 94 or something.

Followed closely by SF Alpha 1 on the PC again in 95. Alpha 1 is what made me a huge fan , its sprite work seemed like light years ahead of anything else i had played at the time. There was no PS1 in my country back then. So compared to Genesis and SNES games it seemed like a big leap.
I think the big reason why SF stuck for me was just being able to control a character with so many moves. Platformers and beat em ups I played just had a jump and attack or two. There was just such a mystery to pulling of special moves.

Later on the first SF i actually took srsly was 3S , mainly coz it was the first game I played outside of just my circle of friends with GGPO Netplay. Arcades died rather quick in my area and fighting games even sooner.

Tekken was my first fighting game, I had a ps1, had tekken 1 , 2 and 3. My cousin comes over and bring this thing called SF, I've never heard of it, i'm really young at the time we put it in, I see a guy that looks like a demon ( akuma) and cody , and I thought it was the tightest shit. I then learned that SF and Tekken were the same type of game, and then sought out to find other games liked it.

And so SFA3 was my first street fighter.

Akuma was a hidden character in Alpha 1, I remember the first time we faced him by setting the 2P to CPU and Random select. Me and my friends literally were like O___O , holy shit who is this guy. Haha good times.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

SF2 arcade was my first. I must have been 12 or 13. The first machine available in my area was at a bowling alley very close to my house, but my parents didn't want me to hang out there so I had to go in secret. It would later come to a pizza place, an ice cream shop, a burger joint, and another pizza place, all conveniently located on or near my route home from school. I remember riding my bike what seemed like a nearly unreasonable distance to play the first Champion Edition machine in my area at a 7-11 in the next town over. I'm not sure how I even heard it was there, but a friend must have told me or something.

Then I got a SNES and SF2 and I don't think I ever played in the arcade again after that. I mainly had my brother to play against, and lots of arcade mode. I became the best of my friends, but at that time being the best just consisted of being able to do all the special moves reliably.

Much later, I played some 3S on Dreamcast (I hate that fucking controller) with my brother and his friends and that was when it became clear that I didn't really know how to play Street Fighter. Once we dispersed to various universities my only SF play was 3S on MAME against the CPU.

Fast forward to Ultra SF4 releasing on PS4 getting me back into SF and playing online for the first time, and then SF5 came out and I finally started to learn how to play. So I'm a '91/'00/'15/'16er.

edit: oops I completely forgot that I played the shit out of Alpha 1 and 2 on my brother's PS1 when I was home from college. Also dabbled in some EX during those years. And I owned EX3! Maybe that's best forgotten, though.

SF2 SNES. It was the only version of street fighter I had for a long time. I always saw Alpha and SF2 subsequent updates in game magazines but my mother couldn't afford them at the time. So I missed the entire boat until 2003 when I started buying games myself in middle school.

mbpm1

SF AE2012 for me. In the year, 2012. I got into it bc of a friend and we had hours of sessions leveling up more or less equally. I wouldn't have gotten into fighting games if not for that experience.

He doesn't play anymore though, particularly bc he hates sfv and won't watch or engage with it much

JusDoIt

Everybody tall enough to reach the buttons and see the screen in 1991 played Street Fighter II. The game was ubiquitous in the first half of the 90s. Every mall, movie theater, laundromat, corner store, pool hall and stand alone arcade had SFII. Playing Street Fighter II was just synonymous with playing video games back then. You played platformers and you played Street Fighter II, you had no choice.

My actual first time playing a Street Fighter was playing some iteration of Street Fighter II in an arcade cabinet. The thing that actually got me into Street Fighter was X-Men vs. Street Fighter in arcades and the abominable PS1 port of it that I got for home. I dabbled with some Alpha 2, some EX, Rival Schools, MvC, but in the end the thing that stuck to me was Street Fighter III: Second Impact, and boy did I play the hell out of that.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SNES SF2 was when I got intimate but the arcades was really where the love affair began oh so many years ago. It's been a mostly great relationship with some mistakes best left forgotten. *cough*SF4*cough*

Add me to the SF2 on SNES crowd. Specifically World Warrior back in 1992. I didn't have a SNES but my brother borrowed his friends SNES with a bunch of games, one of them being SF2: WW. He mainly played Ken and Ryu, mainly Ryu though. I was only 9 and from that point forward SF and Ryu became my favorite video game series and character of all time.

Although I played almost every SF and tons of other fighting games over the years I never improved. It was just my friends and I doing basically the same shit since we were little kids. The drive to learn and improve didn't happen until the release of SF4 for me. I discovered so many new things and made some good friends which started because of my passion for the series. So I'm thankful for those experiences.

Top Bottom