• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

FluxWaveZ

Ed doesn't have more reach than Cammy. Sure, his st.HK probably goes further than any of her normals, but it's slow as hell and it feels like -4.

Pachinko

Scrubby impressions of Ed from a scrub (me)

-Putting his crush counter on HK works considering his input setup

-no command normals

-no target combos

-oddball combination of Balrog and Bison, as advertised. Not sure if I personally like using him much, I mean I only spent about 7 games with him against a friend and a couple games in casual so I can see the potential for Ed being really exciting to watch at a tournament but beyond that he feels a bit shallow to me ?

I suspect once the initial new character hype wears off he'll be a basement character for most. My initial thoughts on him looking a lot like a KI character (Cinder specifically) also kind of hold some weight.

As for the new CFN , well I had 1 3 bar match that was pretty rough and a 5 bar match that felt fine. In battle lounge with my friend it was overall good. This beta seems to have the same issues running at 4K as the standard game does though , I really hope between capcom and Nvidia they can come out with a driver that just works without any fuss.

I want Ed's fireball worked in the way command normals do, but the way you have to do the forward+MP at the same time every time is throwin' me off hah.

Ninjimbo

Anyone else get a chance to try out the DPs or is everybody still doing Ed trials? I tried a couple of matches with Ryu and it seems like standing MP was more effective. I can't say for sure tho since I'm not a Ryu player.

I did notice the change to Laura. St. LK has been nerfed.

MCD250

Anyone else get a chance to try out the DPs or is everybody still doing Ed trials? I tried a couple of matches with Ryu and it seems like standing MP was more effective. I can't say for sure tho since I'm not a Ryu player.

I did notice the change to Laura. St. LK has been nerfed.
With the new balance patch, medium DPs are now completely invincible to air attacks. This applies to all characters with DPs, so yes, it's better (for anti-airing purposes) now.

MechaX

I am trying to have fun with this beta but I am getting blown the fuck up on these ranked matches (some by 0 ranks that are clearly lapsed players) and I am going full tilt again

SFV I just want to have fun why do you make this so hard

I'm interested in trying to learn Ed, but I gotta have training mode. I just can't bring myself to learn a new character by only playing other people. And don't bring up the "back in my day" argument. I'm probably top 5 in age among all posters in this thread.

I get mad enough playing my main. I don't want to deal with getting beaten down while trying to figure out how to play a new character so I'll just wait.

BTW, I downloaded the beta and steam on tried to play it, but my PC won't boot it up. Anybody else have this issue?

HardRojo

I'm interested in trying to learn Ed, but I gotta have training mode. I just can't bring myself to learn a new character by only playing other people. And don't bring up the "back in my day" argument. I'm probably top 5 in age among all posters in this thread.

I get mad enough playing my main. I don't want to deal with getting beaten down while trying to figure out how to play a new character so I'll just wait.

BTW, I downloaded the beta and steam and tried to play it, but my PC won't boot it up. Anybody else have this issue?

Get in a lobby with someone and agree to practice for a few FT5s, so that you can get an idea.

Ninjimbo

What do you mean? What do you think changed about her st.LK?
It used to be +1 on block I believe. Now it's just 0. Either I imagined it or I really did feel a bigger pause there. It doesn't alter things drastically for me tho. I just cant throw it so liberally anymore.

FluxWaveZ

It used to be +1 on block I believe. Now it's just 0. Either I imagined it or I really did feel a bigger pause there. It doesn't alter things drastically for me tho. I just cant throw it so liberally anymore.

That'd be a big deal, and I haven't seen anyone talk about any changes that weren't in the notes a while back. What was affected was Laura's cr.LK, not her st.LK. Laura's st.LK has always been +3 on block, and I kinda doubt they changed that.

mbpm1

Ed is a weirdo.

His normals are slowish on recovery and not too long. His specials don't confirm from all ranges so that shortens his range a bit more.

His st. mk is +2 on block !!! but doesn't hit crouchers at all ranges but has good range against standing characters so it's like a hybrid st. mk from karin and st. mk from necalli.

cr. mk is short, but expected. ex dp is like urien's easily meatied safely cos it's slow. don't know if you can low profile it like urien though.

psycho ball projectile seems kinda nice actually, I think if you cancel it from certain ranges the first hit doesn't hit and you can do create a weird situation where your opponent realizes it doesn't hit and gets hit trying to press something after. Decent speed when it's out too.

cr. hp seems very good but i kept jab aa'ing by habit which also works.

sweep is a sweep.

Fierce + Charged fierce are kind of weird. It's not punishable but it leave you -2 in a bad place like laura's elbow and is easily jumped. Not a great idea to do for very long I think.

Mash jab hands seems safe and easy to do for a punish.

v-trigger will need time to find things for. no overhead means his mixups off it will have to be different if that's even what they wanted to do with it.

FluxWaveZ

For right now, I feel like Ed is a character with which a command grab would have made sense. Real interested in seeing how he develops, and getting the frame data.

Playing ED is like
It+is+sanctioned+is+the+point+something+done+_1c0d588091d4762377dc104cc588d8c3.jpg

That'd be a big deal, and I haven't seen anyone talk about any changes that weren't in the notes a while back. What was affected was Laura's cr.LK, not her st.LK. Laura's st.LK has always been +3 on block, and I kinda doubt they changed that.

To bad it means nothing for 4f characters.

Ninjimbo

Hmm, i might have read it wrong then and imagined it.

Edzi

I was gonna say, there's no way st.MP is only +1 on block. st.MP > st.MP would be a valid block string, it's just I don't yet know what his real routes are to convert into a KD or damage unless you're up close to them and you landed a jump-in or something.

What I'm learning is that st. mp into cr. mp pushes them too far for most specials to connect after. That's not to say that you won't whiff with another button, but the chance is smaller.

If you're getting two st. mps, then you could probably combo into cr. mk but then you'd almost definitely be too far for any real followup. Ed's specials have garbage range.

Playing Ed offline against friends is gonna be a challenge.

They'll have to sit through me shouting BURN KNUCKUR everytime I do that move.

What are some good followups for Ed's Burning Knuckle and V-Skill confirms? I've pretty much just been going for heavy buttons afterwards but those seem to pop the opponent into the air slightly and prevent any further comboing.

FluxWaveZ

PR_Balrog says he isn't feeling Ed because his confirms require him to be too close to the opponent.

That's how it feels like right now, yeah. Naturally, someone used to being able to do anything into dash punch would certainly feel that that's lacking, but I also just don't know how to convert with the character yet. It's day 0; we'll learn a whole lot more later on, and that will give a better idea of what exactly the plan is with Ed.

Kashiwaba

So why did Capcom decide to put my in Ultra Gold?? When my main account is plat, seems like i can't get into any games on ranking and casual since most people are using new accounts.

Most definitely. They HAVE to have something planned to show off at E3 for this game, and a new character would definitely be on that list. Maybe more unannounced stuff, who knows.

E3 is all about MvCI. Character 4 is closer than you think. Remember - he was scheduled for June.

Top Bottom