• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

FluxWaveZ

Abigails parry is kinda weird. Standing for jumps and standing attacks and low for crouching attacks. Which means you cannot parry Kens cr.mp with a standing parry, instead you need to do the low one.

Same as Kolin's parry, and low/high parries in general. That doesn't sound very weird.

LakeEarth

What do you mean by "can't even get a sweep"? Sweeps are slow.
You can punish with the sweep, I'm saying the sweep whiffs at max distance. My biggest troubles with him is knowing when I can and can't reach him, feel like his hit box is often behind the model.

Street-Fighter-Shadaloo-Cammy-Statue.jpg

I wish they made a miniature version of this so I could actually afford it.

stn

^ That's awesome. Also, random question: is Kolin's LP hands (QCF LP) always safe when spaced out at max range? I'm assuming only one-frame moves can punish it at that point?

mbpm1

Same as Kolin's parry, and low/high parries in general. That doesn't sound very weird.

Kolin's parries do not work quite the same way

They're based on attack levels. High hits jumping/airborne attacks, Medium hits *all* mid attacks crouching or otherwise, and low hits all lows only.

^ That's awesome. Also, random question: is Kolin's LP hands (QCF LP) always safe when spaced out at max range? I'm assuming only one-frame moves can punish it at that point?

Koln's hands are always negative 4 at best. Find your four frame punisher that hits at range

Street-Fighter-Shadaloo-Cammy-Statue.jpg

It's not just the price.
I honestly wouldn't know what to do with a 17" figure.

Also, as a side note, please put big images in quotes. That way they are automatically resized to a more reasonable size and you can just click on them to restore the original size.

sixghost

Even though it is -4, there aren't many characters that can punish it. You need a 4 frame move with lots of range, like Ibuki's St.LK

stn

Thanks. Asking because I just watched a Kolin/Guile set, did not see the Guile punish her hands at all. Does he not have a 3-frame jab? How many start-up frames does his flash kick have?

FluxWaveZ

Kolin's parries do not work quite the same way

They're based on attack levels. High hits jumping/airborne attacks, Medium hits *all* mid attacks crouching or otherwise, and low hits all lows only.

How is this different except for the mid-level parries for overheads and jumps? Kolin still needs to execute a high-level parry for Ken's cr.MP and not a low parry, same as Abigail. I was purely addressing the example of it being weird due to Ken's cr.MP, btw.

DunpealD

How is this different except for the mid-level parries for overheads and jumps? Kolin still needs to execute a high-level parry for Ken's cr.MP and not a low parry, same as Abigail. I was purely addressing the example of it being weird due to Ken's cr.MP, btw.

For Abigails case you must to do a low parry, because it's a crouching attack. The parry works based on the opponents state, not the attack type.

FluxWaveZ

It's different enough. Most buttons are mids.

For Abigails case you must to do a low parry, because it's a crouching attack. The parry works based on the opponents state, not the attack type.

OH, I misread the important part in your previous post, I'm sorry about that. I had no idea that Abigail needed to perform a crouching V-Skill to parry any crouching attack. That is weird, I guess I assumed it was like a normal parry, which is why I ignored the nuance.

I've played so much with Abigail, but I've used his V-Skill very sparingly except for as an AA option, so I didn't know about this.

mbpm1

OH, I misread the important part in your previous post, I'm sorry about that. I had no idea that Abigail needed to perform a crouching V-Skill to parry any crouching attack. That is weird, I guess I assumed it was like a normal parry, which is why I ignored the nuance.

I've played so much with Abigail, but I've used his V-Skill very sparingly except for as an AA option, so I didn't know about this.

It's not completely without precedent, Akuma's parry works that way. But yeah, its unique enough among the parries the cast has.

I don't use his parry much either. It's not got as much active frames as I'd like

Wow that looks amazing.

Does this mean Bison gets a Cammy alt? pls no
giphy.gif

I've been teabagged many times. Some times I really believe they're doing it because they can't stand my lame Ryu play. But nope, I'll just keep chucking fireballs from mid screen instead of going balls in like what I think they're trying to get me to do. It's not like I have a choice. I may want to play hyper aggressive sometimes. But you really can't do that with Ryu.

Now losing over and over, and to people who I think I should have lost to is a different story. That will send me spiraling downhill lol. Not that it affects my actual play, just make me more upset and unwilling to stop playing until I feel like I've made up for my past losses(which never happens).
Turns out somehow my stick got set to analogue when it's normally d-pad which is the reason I couldn't do any quarter circle moves reliably. Once I switched it back, the controls were much tighter. I'd like to say that contributed to my losing streak and rising frustration, at least in part.

But ultimately I need to learn to control my emotions better than I did yesterday. I'm usually pretty mild tempered and look at each loss as a learning experience. Yesterday was a special day.

And yeah, losing to people who you know are not as good as you and who gimmick you with the same setup or move, presses the button but at the end of the day, we have to learn how to stop it and not let them get away with BS. Knowing that, keeps me sane while playing this game.

FluxWaveZ

It's not completely without precedent, Akuma's parry works that way. But yeah, its unique enough among the parries the cast has.

I don't use his parry much either. It's not got as much active frames as I'd like

I didn't even know that about Akuma's parry. I should do the Punk thing and play every single character to learn their ins and outs. I've done it with several, but not all.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Speaking of damage, Abby has really opened my eyes to how much of a difference 100 more or less life can make in this game. It feels like it takes an hour to kill the bastard sometimes.

I didn't even know that about Akuma's parry. I should do the Punk thing and play every single character to learn their ins and outs. I've done it with several, but not all.
I've been thinking about this as well. I have yet to touch another character outside of practice and messing around with friends.

MCD250

Speaking of damage, Abby has really opened my eyes to how much of a difference 100 more or less life can make in this game. It feels like it takes an hour to kill the bastard sometimes.
Towards the end of the match, when the damage scaling has kicked in heavily, the tiniest health difference feel immense.

Lulubop

Valle been grinding the Guile match up with Abigail

Bronze boys!

I'm a complete scrub, but I promise if I ever make it to gold(lol) I will enter at NLBC.

Fighting Abby with a 900 health character feels like fighting Q with defense taunt buff from jump. It's rough.

I remember dealing with Zangief in Vanilla SF4. The guy had 1200 health and it took forever to kill him. Not just because of the health, but because it's hard to pressure him. You had to take it slow and chip away at his life.

And even if I spent 90% of the match out zoning him and built up a huge life lead all he needed was one jump in that I wouldn't be ready to anti air so that he can empty jump into a 600 damage Ultra lol. That and random DP, FADC, high step kick, Ultra from Vanilla Sagat were the times I felt the most cheated during the SF4 series.

Zackat

The timing is surprisingly tricky for the second Abi Blaster. Haven't been able to bust it out in an actual match yet.

yeah it will take a while before I can actually land it in a match. It is hard enough to land it a few times in a row in training right now.

I remember dealing with Zangief in Vanilla SF4. The guy had 1200 health and it took forever to kill him. Not just because of the health, but because it's hard to pressure him. You had to take it slow and chip away at his life.

And even if I spent 90% of the match out zoning him and built up a huge life lead all he needed was one jump in that I wouldn't be ready to anti air so that he can empty jump into a 600 damage Ultra lol. That and random DP, FADC, high step kick, Ultra from Vanilla Sagat were the times I felt the most cheated during the SF4 series.
Street Fighter's been pretty shit for a while now huh.

Numb

Now imagine being that Gief player
full

Dear God.

I was actually referring to the times instead of the actual game. Everything was still a mystery back then, even frame data. Discovering stuff or seeing things for the first time on 240p justin. tv streams or 4:3 youtube videos was all so new and exciting back then.

As for the game itself, some characters were just too OP. But I do miss most of the cast being so strong. That's something I felt was never replicated in the later versions of SF4.

These Ryus who keep spamming V-Skill, man.

Let me guess, you're jump in/cross up got parried? Give those guys a break, reaction DP's are hard man.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
My best friend/sparring partner is coming over for a session in a bit. We've been talking trash to each other all week. He's been shitting on Abigail non-stop since his trailer. This is going to be fun.

Zackat

My best friend/sparring partner is coming over for a session in a bit. We've been talking trash to each other all week. He's been shitting on Abigail non-stop since his trailer. This is going to be fun.

make sure you have eye of the tiger ready to go when you turn him into a punching bag

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
make sure you have eye of the tiger ready to go when you turn him into a punching bag

Pick F.A.N.G

Hahaha Yessss that will be perfect.

Luce, FANG was actually one of my first mains when the game dropped but yeah, I just couldn't dedicate myself to that sort of masochism.

Also, hope you GAF killers are playing later so me and my boy can get some games in. It would be a real eye opener for him to play on a higher skill plane. He's been stuck in Ultra Silver ranking since forever.

Top Bottom