• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Producer

You know what's the weirdest part about the combos in this game?

Is that they literally have what we all want for combos in the form of S2/S2.5 Chun-Li. Her combos are a lot more open-ended and have more ways to confirm into V-Trigger and continue combos than she did in S1. It's the type of change a few other characters should get too.

i dunno about that? What combo options/routes are you talking about specifically? Like she can cancel legs and fireball into vtrigger now but the damage sucks, her damage was nerfed in s2 even though it was already low in s1. They took away some combo options too

ElFly

Urien really fell off a cliff, huh. It's weird. I still feel like he could be considered the strongest S2 character currently, but he never really took off like Balrog or Laura. Maybe it's because he's not as volatile. He's the one who's getting nerfed the most in the upcoming patch, too.

Oh a character with creative combos where exexution can be put to good use, good tools, non stubby normals.... I think a meterless reversal? and it's not being used that much?

Thinkingiest emoji

I guess people are dropping him preemptively

its cause your execution was trash

not to say that delay based netcode didn't make things harder, but I could hit 1f links all the time online. With plinking ofc
Why are you always so disrespectful man. We're a little community here, no reason to poke jabs, whether you meant it light hearted or not, it's rude, and wrong.

Just because he had difficulty doing stuff online from training mode does not mean his execution skill was low, there were many highly skilled players that would often say playing offline is like a completely different game.

joe2187

Banned
『Inaba Resident』;238379148 said:
You could do something similar in 4 too. Its how I did overhead cancel into demon with E.Ryu.
Just mash 3P and 3K + the direction.

That's how I remember doing it as well.

And in UMVC3

galvenize

5ffa7ce352.jpg

a5094f5f78.jpg

That segment is a funny face goldmine.

MrCarter

Although Guilty Gear got Street Fighter V in this mess, I think Guilty Gear can get it out.

• Instant blocking. Reduces blockstun and adds V Gauge.
  • Some sort of Blitz Attack/Red Focus reversal. Takes two bars, has infinite hyper armor, puts the opponent into a Crush Counter state (a good one that can be combo'd after), and can be charged to guard break. However, you can't dash cancel it and it wouldn't be plus on block (maybe -2). This would give everyone an invincible reversal (you could still be thrown) and a new combo tool.
  • I'd reduce V-Gauge gain on hit and up it on V-Skill use. Make it less of a comeback mechanic.
  • Canceling into V-Trigger on block or hit starts the V-Trigger gauge at 50%. This is how it works in BlazBlue in regards to the Overdrive mechanic. It's silly that doing V-Triggers raw is practically pointless.

Definitely agree with giving less V-Gauge on hits and increasing it on V-Skill use. I also want them to make V-Skills stronger for the whole cast with maybe an additional defensive mechanic that gives V-Gauge too.

I want to practice doing my 3 frame normal on quick rise, does anyone have an oki setup that works on 4 frame character so I can know if I'm late with my execution?

MrCarter

Oh a character with creative combos where exexution can be put to good use, good tools, non stubby normals.... I think a meterless reversal? and it's not being used that much?

Shh that's not the narrative we are following at the moment. We are supposed to believe there is no execution or skill in playing SFV lol.

Why are you always so disrespectful man. We're a little community here, no reason to poke jabs, whether you meant it light hearted or not, it's rude, and wrong.

Just because he had difficulty doing stuff online from training mode does not mean his execution skill was low, there were many highly skilled players that would often say playing offline is like a completely different game.

Don't worry he uses Elena in SFIV and still gets washed up.

5ffa7ce352.jpg

a5094f5f78.jpg

That segment is a funny face goldmine.

Ono still does it best lol

Kashiwaba

it says a lot when I play one of the best SFIV players in the world with one of the best characters and get washed vs playing them in SFV and almost winning lol

Maybe you're better at SFV than SF4 or they are not as good in SFV as they were with SF4?
I mean they are different games.

Maybe you're better at SFV than SF4 or they are not as good in SFV as they were with SF4?

not necessarily. the skill gap between pros and just competitive players in 4 was a lot wider than in 5. In 5 you get to see pros struggle with the same 50/50 situations or get randomed out just like every other player sometimes.

I've seen an evo finalist in SFV lose to a platinum or ultra gold at the time Juri player who couldn't crack top 10 at any weeklies lol.

I feel like the joke about Daigo losing to ShinAkuma666 in SFIV could be real in SFV because you never know who gon get got by a random target combo or wakeup jab into ggs

Best character? That's debatable. I would say the scrubbiest, especially with that Ultra.

I did say one of the best characters, but if you don't believe so that's fine. She lost a handful of matchups and had below average health. She needed that Ultra lmao

SF4 had a OS for everything. And practically everything could be safe. So SfV will definitely have more variation due to those two factors.

LakeEarth

I've said it before about Elena, but it's baffling that Healing was an ultra instead of a super. Why is healing linked to a mechanic which builds based on damage? Get hurt, get meter, heal, get hurt some more.

IIRC, her focus attack was pretty good too.

SF4 had a OS for everything. And practically everything could be safe. So SfV will definitely have more variation due to those two factors.
How does SFV have more variation when they actively took away most things lol. You had OS' to punish things that people thought were safe so how does that equal out to everything being safe? lol

I've said it before about Elena, but it's baffling that Healing was an ultra instead of a super. Why is healing linked to a mechanic which builds based on damage? Get hurt, get meter, heal, get hurt some more.

IIRC, her focus attack was pretty good too.

Elena was top 15 at best. Healing was okay at best. her focus attack, again, okay at best. Scrubby character but not good imo.

Kashiwaba

not necessarily. the skill gap between pros and just competitive players in 4 was a lot wider than in 5. In 5 you get to see pros struggle with the same 50/50 situations or get randomed out just like every other player sometimes.

I've seen an evo finalist in SFV lose to a platinum or ultra gold at the time Juri player who couldn't crack top 10 at any weeklies lol.

I feel like the joke about Daigo losing to ShinAkuma666 in SFIV could be real in SFV because you never know who gon get got by a random target combo or wakeup jab into ggs

What about the top SFV players have you seen punk, Du, phenom, S2 bonchan.... etc drown in pools or suffer against some unknown players? Yes i totally agree with you SFV is way easier than SF4 and the skill gap is not very wide but still the best players of SFV don't seem to suffer that much from it, as i said maybe the top dogs of SF4 are no longer the top dogs here.

What about the top SFV players have you seen punk, Du, phenom, S2 bonchan.... etc drown in pools or suffer against some unknown players? Yes i totally agree with you SFV is way easier than SF4 and the skill gap is not very wide but still the best players of SFV don't seem to suffer that much from it, as i said maybe the top dogs of SF4 are no longer the top dogs here.

I think they all found a playstyle that worked for them to avoid getting themselves into positions of getting randomed out. Both having solid characters that can cover most MU's and being able to make better educated guesses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . In Bonchan's case, nobody including bonchan himself expected him to have the success he's having now with S2 Nash, but he did spend all of S1 getting bodied until the very end to get a proper grasp on how to play SFV.

I think they do suffer from the possibility of getting randomed out lol, I've never seen pro players so stressed about making it through pools ever. In SF4 they could let their skill carry them over most competitive players. In V, everyone is a threat.

Du/Bonchan/Phenom were all top dogs in SF4 and they're top dogs again in V. Du didn't like the game either but kinda forced himself to stop complaining and just go with it because winning a $500K prize pool is a heavy incentive.

How does SFV have more variation when they actively took away most things lol. You had OS' to punish things that people thought were safe so how does that equal out to everything being safe? lol

Elena was top 15 at best. Healing was okay at best. her focus attack, again, okay at best. Scrubby character but not good imo.

Variation of results. SfV you cant play everything safe.

MrCarter

I think they all found a playstyle that worked for them to avoid getting themselves into positions of getting randomed out. Both having solid characters that can cover most MU's and being able to make better educated guesses ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . In Bonchan's case, nobody including bonchan himself expected him to have the success he's having now with S2 Nash, but he did spend all of S1 getting bodied until the very end to get a proper grasp on how to play SFV.

I think they do suffer from the possibility of getting randomed out lol, I've never seen pro players so stressed about making it through pools ever. In SF4 they could let their skill carry them over most competitive players. In V, everyone is a threat.

Du/Bonchan/Phenom were all top dogs in SF4 and they're top dogs again in V. Du didn't like the game either but kinda forced himself to stop complaining and just go with it because winning a $500K prize pool is a heavy incentive.

You have more Option Selects than SFIV.

nah I spoke to him at Canada Cup, shit after he won the event and he told me he didn't like it lol

Not trying to say you are a liar.

But I haven't seen him say he didn't like the game anywhere else. And Du doesn't seem like the type to give a shit if he offends Capcom. Hell he's made fun of Capcom's decisions on balance.

But I haven't seen him say he didn't like the game anywhere else. And Du doesn't seem like the type to give a shit if he offends Capcom. Hell he's made fun of Capcom's decisions on balance.

just because he stopped complaining in public doesn't mean he doesn't share his opinion in private lol

MrCarter

Don't worry. We just have to trust his anecdotal evidence.

just because he stopped complaining in public doesn't mean he doesn't share his opinion in private lol

True, but this is literally the first time I've ever heard about him hating the game. I guess that'd be more widespread knowledge then if he was open about it in private though?

People knew Chris G didn't like things about SFV before that video (and still says he likes it more than SF4) but I've never heard the same of Du.

At the end of the day, it's kind of irrelevant. Players change their minds from casuals to pros. A ton of pros hated S2 changes when they dropped and now shit leveled off. Bonchan didn't think he could win with the current Nash IIRC and right after one of the events he was like "just play your character lol"

Kashiwaba

I talked to him after Canada Cup and he said he told you he didn't like SFV because you wouldn't stop bugging him about how the game was trash.

It seems like a civil war is starting in this thread :)

It seems like a civil war is starting in this thread :)

Like, I don't think Count is lying. Maybe Du was fucking with him. Maybe Du was being real. But how people flipflop on this game (and literally ever SF), one singular mention ain't enough for me to believe someone hates a game to this very day. People shit talked SF4 and then months later was MAN THIS GAME IS FUN :^). Fuck even Marvel gets this treatment.

So uhh... what's up with Mike Ross?

You made me venture onto Kappa after a few days of wondering.

Gootecks said he couldn't contact him and then said he was joking. Someone saw him at Eleague I guess. He's probably fine.

man I was riding for this game harder than lonedragon in this bitch for the first few months

and then I realized the game is just kinda stupid lol

Pompadour

Like, I don't think Count is lying. Maybe Du was fucking with him. Maybe Du was being real. But how people flipflop on this game (and literally ever SF), one singular mention ain't enough for me to believe someone hates a game to this very day. People shit talked SF4 and then months later was MAN THIS GAME IS FUN :^). Fuck even Marvel gets this treatment.

Daigo told me at Eleague that he's never liked Street Fighter but pretends they're not garbage for the cash. The only fighting game he truly likes is Waku Waku 7.

man I was riding for this game harder than lonedragon in this bitch for the first few months

and then I realized the game is just kinda stupid lol
Well i think for SFV at least for me, it stresses me out playing certain characters that can't just yolo like Nash. So if I'm stressing this much in casuals, can't imagine when your livelihood depends on SFV how stressful that would be...

MrCarter

I talked to him after Canada Cup and he said he told you he didn't like SFV because you wouldn't stop bugging him about how the game was trash.

Really? That's strange. I also met him at Canada Cup (traveled ALL the way from the UK) and he said this guy randomly told him he was "trash" and to "git gud".

Okay guys enough jokes.

But for real most of the pro players are going to drop this trash game and run Gundam Leagues you heard this scoop here first call me, Eventhubs

It's not that we don't believe you.

Well, at least me.

It's that top players whine constantly just like any of us and change their minds on a dime. It's literally how SF3 and SF4 went. I bet certain editions were like this as well. CVS2, Alpha, all of them got the work.

The problem is, only a very small portion of them are going to win shit in this game. If 3/4s of top players hate this game, and most of them ain't making that cash, what the fuck are they even doing committing their lives to something they consistently hate?

It's more likely that, as usual, there's bluster and shit talk but when it comes down to it they like it just enough to deal with it at the least.

MrCarter

Okay guys enough jokes.

But for real most of the pro players are going to drop this trash game and run Gundam Leagues you heard this scoop here first call me, Eventhubs

It was deserved after that trash comment to Neoxon lol. I need to get on some of that Gundam Action, is there any demo you can play?

Kashiwaba

Well i think for SFV at least for me, it stresses me out playing certain characters that can't just yolo like Nash. So if I'm stressing this much in casuals, can't imagine when your livelihood depends on SFV how stressful that would be...

This game is stressful no denying, the fact that one mistake can ruin all what you've done throughout the round, i totally agree with countblack here, but what i don't agree with is saying this game is random, or even to top players can get randomed...etc that's bullshit the players who put the effort and time into the game and work for it never get randomed by a nobody. Yes the gap between pros and casuals are lower than it was with SF4, but still when you're good you're good. As I said earlier the top SFV players who make it to top 8 consistently never get randomed or drown at pools.

kobu

It's like just stop playing the game if that's how you feel at this point. I guess I'm different from most people cause when I say I'm dropping a game for a while or for good I mean it.

If I don't like what I'm seeing after the update this weak I'm taking another long ass break.

It was deserved after that trash comment to Neoxon lol. I need to get on some of that Gundam Action, is there any demo you can play?

There's a public beta coming up, but it's open for like an hour their time so probably fucking early morning. Game is going to be deader than dead if they go the regional locking route tho.

Pompadour

It's not that we don't believe you.

Well, at least me.

It's that top players whine constantly just like any of us and change their minds on a dime. It's literally how SF3 and SF4 went. I bet certain editions were like this as well. CVS2, Alpha, all of them got the work.

The problem is, only a very small portion of them are going to win shit in this game. If 3/4s of top players hate this game, and most of them ain't making that cash, what the fuck are they even doing committing their lives to something they consistently hate?

It's more likely that, as usual, there's bluster and shit talk but when it comes down to it they like it just enough to deal with it at the least.

Yeah, I don't put a lot stock into what pro players say. In addition to everything you said they aren't game designers and playing something at a high level doesn't automatically mean they know what is good or bad design. Not that their opinions should be disregarded (they know the games better than most) but their opinions aren't automatically gospel. They might observe a problem but not know how to resolve it.

Shit, Combofiend and Woshige worked on SFV and they're pro players.

Top Bottom