• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

joe2187

Banned
How is her battle costume not a Gymnast costume?

6dd9226b5c1925ab506e3c660041ad16.gif

Just saw we had a new reveal, been so damn busy today, Character left no impression on me...going to buy it for sure, no hype for a character might be my main in hiding lol

Pachinko

I think my recommendations are:

* Pick a main to focus training on
* Learn basic fundamentals of the moves (which moves are generally safe/unsafe, the range you can hit with them, no need to get crazy with frame data details yet).
* Git gud with one bread-n-butter combo, CC combo, anti-air combo
* Git gud with your hit-confirming.
* Git gud with anti-air.

I watched 3 matches as well , again I'm not great at the game myself ( I have 849 LP or something). Your cammy seems to have some good things happening but like Teh Lurv says here , there are holes in your game that would be patched by just picking 1 character and sticking with them for awhile. The Ryu match I watched you kept doing forward + HP and yeah, when it hit you confirmed it into a DP with what looked like relative ease and even at one point cancelled the DP into a Super which is great ! but when you spend an entire match throwing out buttons , SFV is built to punish you. Your opponent will get counter hits on you (which do more damage) and even crush counters (which can lead to a big combo and 40-60% life loss).

I'd honestly suggest just going back to Ryu for a while. Go into training mode and test out all of your normals. See how far away you need to stand to hit with each of them, standing, crouching , jumping in. All of it. Do the same with command normals (for ryu that would be forward HP and forward MP). Practice Ryu's target combo too , if you can land a MP you can hit HP and then hit HK for a 3 hit combo that doesn't really require timing.

As well, and this is something that I also do quite often still - learning when to block high or low helps mitigate damage quite a bit. It's not so much that you weren't blocking but more that you seemed to get impatient and hit a button. During one of those matches (I think it was against a zangeif player) you were actually in the perfect spot to block but you tapped a jab out and then got hit by a critical art.

Why learn spacing and blocking ? because then you'll take fewer unnecessary risks and take less damage which gives you more chances to deal damage. I'd also suggest not throwing out your Vtrigger "raw" that is , just flicking it on randomly. Vtrigger activation for most of the cast (outside of fire and forget triggers such as Nash or Rashid) will give you a split second extra time to react. For example, with Ryu , if you're being jumped in on , popping vtrigger can give you a chance to throw out a DP that will be much more likely to hit the jumping opponent. For Cammy you have a better chance to cannon spike , etc.

Also don't be afraid to throw, it gets in peoples heads and makes them expect them , so just throwing them once or twice per round or teching a throw will leave your opponent guessing more.

My own personal problem with my playstyle right now is that I'm still pretty brain dead , I just go for stuff and hope for the best but I attempt to block as much incoming attacks as I can. I feel I've gotten over the hump that you need to cross but I'm not much beyond it. Don't fret though dude ! I think you've got the skills to move ahead.

The short answer like Teh Lurv above says - don't hit buttons when you don't expect them to hit and when you do , choose the right ones. There's a lot to learn in this game and it never really quite stops because you can always try other characters out but you gotta start somewhere.

An unfortunate side effect though... when you play against your friends you'll have to start handicapping yourself a little bit. OR , make a goal for yourself. Try and get a perfect , if you're using ryu, Parry every single projectile and jump in and follow up with a counter attack. Give yourself a challenge in other words.

kingbean

I watched 3 matches as well , again I'm not great at the game myself ( I have 849 LP or something). Your cammy seems to have some good things happening but like Teh Lurv says here , there are holes in your game that would be patched by just picking 1 character and sticking with them for awhile. The Ryu match I watched you kept doing forward + HP and yeah, when it hit you confirmed it into a DP with what looked like relative ease and even at one point cancelled the DP into a Super which is great ! but when you spend an entire match throwing out buttons , SFV is built to punish you. Your opponent will get counter hits on you (which do more damage) and even crush counters (which can lead to a big combo and 40-60% life loss).

I'd honestly suggest just going back to Ryu for a while. Go into training mode and test out all of your normals. See how far away you need to stand to hit with each of them, standing, crouching , jumping in. All of it. Do the same with command normals (for ryu that would be forward HP and forward MP). Practice Ryu's target combo too , if you can land a MP you can hit HP and then hit HK for a 3 hit combo that doesn't really require timing.

As well, and this is something that I also do quite often still - learning when to block high or low helps mitigate damage quite a bit. It's not so much that you weren't blocking but more that you seemed to get impatient and hit a button. During one of those matches (I think it was against a zangeif player) you were actually in the perfect spot to block but you tapped a jab out and then got hit by a critical art.

Why learn spacing and blocking ? because then you'll take fewer unnecessary risks and take less damage which gives you more chances to deal damage. I'd also suggest not throwing out your Vtrigger "raw" that is , just flicking it on randomly. Vtrigger activation for most of the cast (outside of fire and forget triggers such as Nash or Rashid) will give you a split second extra time to react. For example, with Ryu , if you're being jumped in on , popping vtrigger can give you a chance to throw out a DP that will be much more likely to hit the jumping opponent. For Cammy you have a better chance to cannon spike , etc.

Also don't be afraid to throw, it gets in peoples heads and makes them expect them , so just throwing them once or twice per round or teching a throw will leave your opponent guessing more.

My own personal problem with my playstyle right now is that I'm still pretty brain dead , I just go for stuff and hope for the best but I attempt to block as much incoming attacks as I can. I feel I've gotten over the hump that you need to cross but I'm not much beyond it. Don't fret though dude ! I think you've got the skills to move ahead.

The short answer like Teh Lurv above says - don't hit buttons when you don't expect them to hit and when you do , choose the right ones. There's a lot to learn in this game and it never really quite stops because you can always try other characters out but you gotta start somewhere.

An unfortunate side effect though... when you play against your friends you'll have to start handicapping yourself a little bit. OR , make a goal for yourself. Try and get a perfect , if you're using ryu, Parry every single projectile and jump in and follow up with a counter attack. Give yourself a challenge in other words.

Thanks for the input. I will stick with Ryu for a while. I'd say more but it's midnight and I'm in bed lol.

FluxWaveZ

Rewatching this moment closely, I realized something, and I don't know why I didn't even think of it before.

wHDMAd2.gif

Menat's the character that I had been looking for but who I couldn't find before the release of SFV, when the betas were going on: the closest thing to a puppet character in SFV.

The only reason I started with Mika and never looked back (aside from how she says "I'll totally make this look cool!" and "I'll kick your ass!") was because her V-Trigger was the closest thing to a puppet character I could find. Working in conjunction with another entity on the field is the thing I enjoy the most in FGs.

It's still not the same; it doesn't seem like Menat will rely on actually moving while her main orb is moving as well. But it's close enough. I'm way more excited now that I think about how much I gel with her as a character just from observation than anyone else so far.

MCD250

If soul reflect is her V-Skill then she should be able to build V-Gauge very fast, since she seems to be able to combo into it in many ways.

MCD250

Also, I would pay cash money (I mean, I guess I would have to, given the way this game works) for a Rose-esque costume for Menat. It can be a straight up Rose costume (say that she's taking after her teacher or something) or a riff on it, like how Ed has a costume that's a riff on Bipson's.

Teh Lurv

Thank you. Good input. I'll probably stick with Ryu for a while and bang out some training mode with the dummy set to block after first hit to practice some basic combos.

But yeah like I said I'm a scrub lol

EucIfYY.gif

Ryu's a great choice. He's easy to learn, honest, and his animations make it easy to tell when you screw up why you screwed up.

Sayad

tumblr_ovd8u5Wa7N1uq6svio1_r1_540.gif

someone needs to gif that animation vs Abigail on Tuesday

Menat's legs shaking as she struggles to hold her opponent over her head is a nice touch.
Looks like she's just pretending to be holding them with physical power, when they're being held by the orbs(psychic power). Which makes sense with the throw looking goofy/fake, wonder if she can still do that when the orb is away!

Edit: Meant to post this in the other thread!

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, whatever it is it's probably not an outright command grab like Laura's or Alex's. But there did appear to be something similar to Ed's V-Skill in the trailer, and I believe it was an EX move. And the Hugo leaping grab

FluxWaveZ

7 hours is reasonable?

It's not about the interval, since it's still as long as ever, but it's about the time frame they chose (which you'll see people replying about in that tweet). Better that than it starting near mid-day in most places in North America, and ending late in the evening.

The closer we get to this happening when most people are sleeping, the better.

myco666

It's not about the interval, since it's still as long as ever, but it's about the time frame they chose (which you'll see people replying about in that tweet). Better that than it starting near mid-day in most places in North America, and ending late in the evening.

The closer we get to this happening when most people are sleeping, the better.

Time frame is still total ass if you are from EU.

Top Bottom