• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Beil

Arcade ST has a couple of speed settings in its dip switch settings. That looks like Turbo 2.

Too fast for me. :(

Pompadour

No SFV panel for TGS so Zeku's chances are decreasing. Is there any big tourney the weekend after?

However, there is an SFV exhibition at TGS though, right? Or did I imagine that?

kirblar

No SFV panel for TGS so Zeku's chances are decreasing. Is there any big tourney the weekend after?

However, there is an SFV exhibition at TGS though, right? Or did I imagine that?
Yeah, the 8-man event. Arcade unveil should be in October, that's when we'd get more info on S3 prior to Capcom Cup.

kirblar

Is there an arcade trade show in October?
I'm blanking on why I have that associated so strongly >< There was something mentioned at some point which made it seem like October was the time for that info to drop but I'm not finding it.

Arcade mode was announced 10/2016 at Toushinsai - but that tournament already took place a few weeks ago.

Pompadour

It's weird Capcom used to be so big they had their own expo: Captivate.

Regardless of how successful they were the past decade, I doubt they'd keep doing that expo today because that's not really how the business works anymore. But it's still crazy Capcom was that huge at one point.

Street Fighter is turning into such an oddball. It's one of Capcom's biggest franchises (in name) but they never seem to want to show it off to people outside FGC channels.

bubumiao

If they're really gonna support the game through 2021 or so (which I believe they are going to do) the arcade version is gonna help restore interest in the game in Japan.

Street Fighter IV was huge there and I'm not exactly sure why they didn't release it in arcades in the first place there (maybe because it wasn't great for the first year?).

I actually think the game is gonna turn things around and become massively popular. It already is (massively popular) despite its shortcomings, but you know what I mean.

Street Fighter is turning into such an oddball. It's one of Capcom's biggest franchises (in name) but they never seem to want to show it off to people outside FGC channels.

Well eSports is exactly that. But I see what you mean in the gaming community though. I think they are being light on that promotion and waiting until the Super version to start bolstering outside options.

In terms of SFV its actually kinda funny how it has withstood the torrent of hate and fuckups it's went through. Part of it is legacy for sure but this game should have died so many times.

MechaX

In terms of SFV its actually kinda funny how it has withstood the torrent of hate and fuckups it's went through. Part of it is legacy for sure but this game should have died so many times.

It's part legacy and part competition is screwing up on things they shouldn't be at this point.

You have situations like T7 outselling it, but launching with 0 tutorial in a technical series were a new generation is most likely to start here, along with online woes that should not have caught Harada off guard, but somehow did anyway.

Guilty Gear has incredible tools to get people in, but it is nonetheless "too anime," "too niche," or crazy. Plus, online has hiccups and is filled with folks ready to beat the brakes off of folks with crazy and nasty shit.

IJ2 beats the tar off of SFV pound to pound in single player and the sales display its great success, but the more hardcore followers of the FGC will still be like "lol bad animations, fuck Deadshot zoning," etc.

For a lot, SFV has taken the lumps, but no one has really made the knock out (since legacy probably could have propped it for quite some time alone as long as the core potential gameplay is not a dumpster fire; look at MvC:I).

Mizerman

I don't know what Bamco was thinking when T7 came out with online issues and a few other problems. Still a good game, but yeah...

For a while, some people actually believed that KOF14 was gonna dethrone SFV.

Guilty Gear and Blazblue...yeah, they'll always have the "anime game" stigma preventing it from gaining more mainstream exposure.

NRS got the causal crowd on lock, but they'll always struggle with the hardcore crowd. It doesn't help that their patching methods are very reactive.

Smash evolved into its own thing. Not a bad thing, mind you.

HardRojo

I'm so free against Alex's lariat, I just lost to the worst Alex player I've ever seen, but for some reason my hands couldn't V-Reversal his lariats and I simply panicked every time, getting command grabbed or Crush countered (despite knowing shit's like +3 on block) afterwards, and whenever I tried an EX headbutt the command wouldn't come out and register a jump instead, so I'd get hit by the obvious st.MP follow-up from his lariat.

bubumiao

For a while, some people actually believed that KOF14 was gonna dethrone SFV.
SNK doesn't promote the game the way Capcom does. No pro tour, just here and there at tournaments (always low entry numbers). I feel like KOF XIV could be huge, but it's not. Any time I boot it up it's only for 5 minutes then back to Street Fighter V.

I'm so free against Alex's lariat, I just lost to the worst Alex player I've ever seen, but for some reason my hands couldn't V-Reversal his lariats and I simply panicked every time, getting command grabbed or Crush countered (despite knowing shit's like +3 on block) afterwards, and whenever I tried an EX headbutt the command wouldn't come out and register a jump instead, so I'd get hit by the obvious st.MP follow-up from his lariat.

Like I said a while back, backdash if you want to beat Alex

Yeah, other games dropping the ball let SFV live longer, but honestly FGs in general drop the ball quite a bit every entry.

KOF had tournaments, but IIRC they ran them like shit though.

Once you figure out to keep that oppression on Bison is so much fun. I also bought his sick looking costume. That's part of the reason I picked him up again. Bison/Abigail/Zeku maybe? for me. Urien is fun but mostly during AR stuff otherwise he feels like whatever.

Mizerman

SNK doesn't promote the game the way Capcom does. No pro tour, just here and there at tournaments (always low entry numbers). I feel like KOF XIV could be huge, but it's not. Aany time I boot it up it's only for 5 minutes then back to Street Fighter V.

Yep. It's like the tournaments are just...there. Plus the entry and viewership don't help matters.

Yeah, other games dropping the ball let SFV live longer, but honestly FGs in general drop the ball quite a bit every entry.

KOF had tournaments, but IIRC they ran them like shit though.

One step forward, two steps back.

KOF is a great game, but like, I don't know, their community doesn't feel as organized in terms of promotion? And yeah, esports money helps BIG time, but that's only a part of it. SNK's lack of continuous support in terms of marketing, horribly run tournaments, commentators who aren't recognizable like James Chen and co. (Hellpockets is a cool dude but he ain't as popular as UltraChen), a lack of structured resources and content, and a community that didn't capitalize on certain events (well, that has somewhat to do with their size and the company's unwillingness to just get more involved).

Like, there's a PC version but when that shit dropped NOBODY was talking about it. It sucked. Now if I mention it, people look at me funny but it's been out for ages. Plus it was super expensive when the PS4 version is cheaper but whatever.

I think the next outing for SNK will do good. For their first run, it ain't bad, but yeah, could have been better.

Like, there's a PC version but when that shit dropped NOBODY was talking about it..

PC is a different platform, look at games like CSGO and PUBG, they sell a lot because of pricing, PC gamers want stuff cheaper because the hardware is expensive, just a 1080TI is more money than PS4/XB1/Switch, so over the years to negate the huge difference in hardware pricing, PC games want cheaper games, KoF14 dropping almost a year later for more money than the PS4 version, SNK is asking to get fucked. I am a PC gamer and in the last 5 years only purchased 3 games at full price, GW2, GW2 expansion, and SFV, if it ain't $5 i don't give a damn lol...

MrCarter

TGS is a trade show so I don't think they are showing anything apart from games that are releasing in the not too distant future. They should have done a 30th anniversary panel but that was done at SDCC and they seem to be doing the Mega Man 30th anniversary panel for this one. SFV is still having the invitational for TGS I believe so there could be some announcements there so it's anyone's guess really.

I don't think it's fair to have the game drop to like 20 when it comes to PC. But it's unfair to have the game shit around at full price. 40 is a good medium?

Either way, I think it did well enough in Asia territories. But expecting a game like that to sell elsewhere at full price is crazy.

I don't think it's fair to have the game drop to like 20 when it comes to PC. But it's unfair to have the game shit around at full price. 40 is a good medium?

Either way, I think it did well enough in Asia territories. But expecting a game like that to sell elsewhere at full price is crazy.
$45 with all of the DLC would be more than fair imo. XIII launched for like $25 with everything 2 years after console iirc.

The price is the only reason I haven't picked up kof14.
I immediately jumped on xrd, but the price of xrd revelator was again the reason for not getting it.

You really can't expect me to wait so long and then still spend full or near full price. Especially when SFV and T7 exist in the same ecosystem.

&#129335;&#127999;*&#9792;&#65039;&#129335;&#127999;*&#9792;&#65039;&#129335;&#127999;*&#9792;&#65039;&#129335;&#127999;*&#9792;&#65039;

Is that a JoJo reference?

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6V3hhVj.jpg[/IMG]

Damn that's always relevant.

Definitely not.

Street Fighter has just entered the Sonic phase of its life. No matter what Capcom does, a loyal fanbase will buy the game and talk about how great it is.

Neither Sonic nor SF have anyone talking about how great it is on a regular basis even when they do something great.

JusDoIt

Definitely not.

Street Fighter has just entered the Sonic phase of its life. No matter what Capcom does, a loyal fanbase will buy the game and talk about how great it is.

People say this often, but I think it's bullshit. The game didn't even sell well, and the casuals who did cop the game dropped out almost immediately.

The game is kept afloat by people who play and watch fighting games a lot. The hardcore crowd.

I don't even know how people can keep making this argument when SFV is like the third or fourth bestselling fighting game this generation, but has the most sustained community engagement.

You know what, it kinda is.

And it's definitely the best when it comes to spectating, by miles.

Spectating Tekken 7 is not miles behind spectating SFV. Maybe a couple blocks behind, but not miles behind.

Village

Definitely not.

You don't know jack shiticus about sonic

Sonic fans are critical as hell. Sonic fans at this point know that a sonic game's shit before everyone else does. Folks like me looked at the first forces trailer and as soon as we saw classic sonic went " oh they fuckin up" .

You don't know jack shiticus about sonic

Sonic fans are critical as hell. Sonic fans at this point know that a sonic game's shit before everyone else does. Folks like me looked at the first forces trailer and as soon as we saw classic sonic went " oh they fuckin up" .

People say this often, but I think it's bullshit. The game didn't even sell well, and the casuals who did cop the game dropped out almost immediately.

The game is kept afloat by people who play and watch fighting games a lot. The hardcore crowd.

I don't even know how people can keep making this argument when SFV is like the third or fourth bestselling fighting game this generation, but has the most sustained community engagement.

Spectating Tekken 7 is not miles behind spectating SFV. Maybe a couple blocks behind, but not miles behind.

LOL. Clearly you haven't spent much time arount the Sonic fanbase.

Damn that's always relevant.

Neither Sonic nor SF have anyone talking about how great it is on a regular basis even when they do something great.

Then they're even closer together than I imagined. :p

I don't know any Sonic fans outside of the kids at school that are weird as fuck and try to talk to me about their fursuits.

kikiribu

Maybe it's actually the best current fighting game.
Sure, why not? Why do some people act like this isn't gonna come down to preference in the end anyway? If you know you prefer SFV and know that SF DNA is not interchangeable with any other franchise when it comes to the characters and the gameplay, then I don't get why some people are so afraid to admit it. Who's judging you and what's their agenda? ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Video game preference, such serious, wow!!

Players that prefer Tekken above all are gonna focus on Tekken, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.
Players that prefer Smash above all are gonna focus on Smash, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.
Players that prefer Guilty Gear above all are gonna focus on Guilty Gear, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.

It's no different. People that say "it's not" like it's not subjective need to get over themselves.

Shadoken

Definitely not.

So like any other long running franchise then?

Sure, why not? Why do some people act like this isn't gonna come down to preference in the end anyway? If you know you prefer SFV and know that SF DNA is not interchangeable with any other franchise when it comes to the characters and the gameplay, then I don't get why some people are so afraid to admit it. Who's judging you and what's their agenda? ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Video game preference, such serious, wow!!

Players that prefer Tekken above all are gonna focus on Tekken, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.
Players that prefer Smash above all are gonna focus on Smash, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.
Players that prefer Guilty Gear above all are gonna focus on Guilty Gear, and most of them are gonna think it's the best.

It's no different. People that say "it's not" like it's not subjective need to get over themselves.

Pretty much. Each of those games are their own sub genres at this point.

SFV could have done everything right in the world but you arent going to magically get the entire Smash or Tekken community to play it.

Top Bottom