• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Is the Alex nostalgia costume a PC exclusive ? It's not on the PS4 with the other 2 nostalgia outfits o_O
No, it's available on both platforms. While I personally am glad if Capcpom forgets that the trashcan Alex ever even existed, the costume is probably still in the shop. Maybe look again , or reboot the game and then check again?

Renkax

No, it's available on both platforms. While I personally am glad if Capcpom forgets that the trashcan Alex ever even existed, the costume is probably still in the shop. Maybe look again , or reboot the game and then check again?

Huh.. the Halloween and Christmas outfits were there for a limited time though right ?

I just shut down the game and restarting ..

gT25y

Nope it's not showing up lol

Throw Sean in that trash can too and we have a deal.

Huh.. the Halloween and Christmas outfits were there for a limited time though right ?

I just shut down the game and restarting ..

Nope it's not showing up lol
The Halloween, Christmas and last year's CPT stuff only showed up for a limited time. The Halloween and Christmas stuff MIGHT become available for sale again this year (similar to how Overwatch's themed costumes work)

But that is weird that it's not showing up, it's not time limited and it is still available last I heard.
Throw Sean in that trash can too and we have a deal.
I'm fine with it but Scotia might become a suicide risk if so.
abishrug.png

I see this thing said a lot but besides like maybe 4 people in the US, how is there enough money involved for 99.999% of the people who play? Unless you were Punk or Du (for US players) who had some consistent placings and get invited to those invitationals, you probably make a better return working at McDonalds. It reminds me of watching watching EMP players saying that they need to eat, even though they only get like $200 from getting first at a weekly tournament.

If sponsors are giving people full salaries and benefits, I for one would be extremely surprised since only like half a dozen or so people in the US actually are worth that. And it's not like these players are putting in as much work as Daigo, writing a book, giving lectures, doing in person promotions, etc. I actually was really impressed after his talk at that one university and hearing Jiyuna go over some stuff because he actually puts in a lot of time for his sponsorships besides slapping a logo on.

MCD250

Honestly, I think the jab interrupt on the EX DP was more Daigo's mind sort of going on autopilot on the timing of the punish of the V-Trigger cancel (the cancel is -5 so a jab combo is the only thing that can punish it) and a moment after the jab came out Daigo realized that the cancel hadn't happened.

I'm more confused by why Jiewa didn't do it right away. He clearly intended to, because he activated V-Trigger a moment after the jab. He seemed to be doing weird stuff like that all day. I think at one point he got a crush counter on Packz and literally didn't follow up with anything at all.

I see this thing said a lot but besides like maybe 4 people in the US, how is there enough money involved for 99.999% of the people who play? Unless you were Punk or Du (for US players) who had some consistent placings and get invited to those invitationals, you probably make a better return working at McDonalds. It reminds me of watching watching EMP players saying that they need to eat, even though they only get like $200 from getting first at a weekly tournament.

If sponsors are giving people full salaries and benefits, I for one would be extremely surprised since only like half a dozen or so people in the US actually are worth that.
Yah for real, if I wanted to play a game just for the money I'd pick a nonfighting game like LOL, CS, Dota, or OW (or any Blizzard game). The money put into those is insane...

(the cancel is -5 so a jab combo is the only thing that can punish it)
What's it like, still being in S1?

They made the DP cancel into V-Trigger -7 oB so you can get a harder punish which is why people were surprised. You can easily get a cr.mp into flash kick off of it.
As Rashid main since day 1 i never expected to live through this day where rashid is considered top tier ��
IMO, he still isn't. He's still a great character but he's not best in the game level great. And I always believed Rashid was great in S1 too.

That outfit really should be there... weird.
Probably best that we try to forget Alex ever existed.

Next step, replace him with random select!

AFAIK sponsors generally only take care of travel, and some only can send you so far. The likes of Echo Fox, Panda, and a few others do salary I think, but it's extremely rare. Payouts are a joke, especially when you travel to these events on the regular, and going overseas is a blowup. Eleague and EVO aren't regular things, and slogging through a pool of top players isn't worth the investment of time or effort when you hate the game tbh.

Yah for real, if I wanted to play a game just for the money I'd pick a nonfighting game like LOL, CS, Dota, or OW (or any Blizzard game). The money put into those is insane...

Yea definitely. Those games always gave me the impression that top level competition seems impenetrable because of how corporate it is. Like they have to be signed on a team and handle a lot of things that come with that, while fighting games are just show up at a tournament and hope you do well. I know some people get found through solo queue, but that sounds like a real needle in a haystack kind of thing because there is so many players and getting noticed among the competition means probably some diamonds are lost in the rough.

MCD250

What's it like, still being in S1?

They made the DP cancel into V-Trigger -7 oB so you can get a harder punish which is why people were surprised. You can easily get a cr.mp into flash kick off of it.
giphy.gif

I've been punishing with jab combos all this time.

You could make money other ways by streaming those games, too. Like, if you invested all that time playing a game you hated and moved over to something like DOTA, CSGO, or even Overwatch with your fanbase and had a likeable personality, you'd probably make more than most of the people in the FGC try to make chasing that paper.

So either a ton of people in the FGC are absolutely stupid in spending time with a busted ass game they hate when they could be grinding shit elsewhere, or maybe they just have opinions that change like everyone does and have done since fighting games, nay, SF was a thing.

Edit: I mean, theoretically, if the FGC moved back to SF4, there's not shit Capcom could do about it. Without players and viewers, SFV would be dead and people could just move back to the game they truly enjoyed. Then Capcom would put the money there. This would not be hard to organize at all since the vast sentiment is that SFV sucks, so surely we could being migrating back, right?

giphy.gif

I've been punishing with jab combos all this time.
It was something I always found Bullshit about Ken. Only characters who could convert lights into mediums and characters with a 5-frame command grab could get a real punish for a move that was invincible.

The -7 is a lot better.

mbpm1

lol I just saw this. If you're saying I'm obnoxious you need to get off your high horse. I give credit where it's due and don't focus on wailing all the time.

High horse and wailing? Alright then. This is worth dropping though.

So either a ton of people in the FGC are absolutely stupid in spending time with a busted ass game they hate when they could be grinding shit elsewhere, or maybe they just have opinions that change like everyone does and have done since fighting games, nay, SF was a thing.

Honestly knowing the FGC, I'd be willing to believe the former

This community has that kind of dedication

speaking of which, Daigo won something again? PogChamp

And I forgot that DPs were --7 on v-trigger now too

Indeed, and people tolerated and some even respected his rants for some reason in the fgc for a long time. Sanford and other basically lost childhoods to that dude.
What happened with TriForce? I've heard about this but never knew what had happened.

It's always nice whenever you post artworks, they're always excellent :)

And for some reason, that artwork's making me want that Staff wielding character from Ed's story to be playable.

mbpm1

What happened with TriForce? I've heard about this but never knew what had happened.

If you mean where is he now he's somewhere in Jamaica I think selling the dream of esports.

If you mean the story behind what he did and stuff that's a longer story

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
For some reason this finish with ex moves mission is the hardest goddamn thing for me. I land a hit and know I can confirm into a round winning combo and my hands say "CA finish!" and my brain says "no hands wait" and my hands say "lololol".

ShinMaruku

There is no dream to sell of esports in Jamaica. This fool could be preping for legal weed to flood the US with some pure ganja

If you mean the story behind what he did and stuff that's a longer story
I saw the video you posted before the edit lol.

That is uh..... that's quite something.

Though I just bust out laughing when he revealed that Triforce was actually a part of his first name and when Gootecks said it sounds kinds shady.

So no one likes my buff V-reversal to KD on hit (except lights) but you can counter a V-reversal with a V-reversal.

I think it would be a cool ping pong meta and meter management.

Pompadour

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtivePiliablePorpoiseKreygasm?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

So you can have fireball wars in this game
if you're both playing Guile.

This gives me confidence that SFV could be adjusted to be more accommodating to zoners. They just need to tweak fireballs to better and weaken the anti-fireball moves every character seems to have.

I'm curious if they put so many ways to get past projectiles because they knew Guile was going to be the 18th character and didn't want to make his VT less crazy.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtivePiliablePorpoiseKreygasm?tt_medium=clips_api&tt_content=url

This gives me confidence that SFV could be adjusted to be more accommodating to zoners. They just need to tweak fireballs to better and weaken the anti-fireball moves every character seems to have.

I'm curious if they put so many ways to get past projectiles because they knew Guile was going to be the 18th character and didn't want to make his VT less crazy.

That was awesome.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Try to wakeup with block instead of waking up with nothing (other times you woke up with a fierce or something with lots of frames, if you want to wake up with a move, either EX DP or your jab which I believe is 3 frames).

Don't spam cr.HK on neutral, because if blocked (which it will probably be) it might get punished fairly easily, on another note, don't punish your opponent's blocked DP with a sweep (cr.HK), you have an opportunity there for a lot of damage, learn a basic CC (Crush Counter) combo and go from there.

I used to have that bad habit of using sweep on neutral and once I got over that, my game flow got much better, I know it's hard to lose the habit but once you do, you'll see the results.

Your first round finished because you didn't space yourself well for a fireball, when throwing one out, make sure you have enough space so your adversary can't jump on you and land a hit.

Additionally don't whiff too many moves with lots of frames near your opponent, you will get punished and it will hurt.

TL;DR - Space yourself more, don't spam moves with lots of frames near your opponent, and punish your opponent harder.

The first thing I notice is how often you try to sweep.
Try to nip this habit in the bud real quick, most sweeps are deadly unsafe, only a few characters have sweeps that can be made safe at perfect distances.

second, you have a tendency to wanting to go for something, but then it fails and I can see you still try it, even though your opponent is already doing something. Try to be more reactive of your opponent.
If you fireball fails, immediately look at what your opponent is doing, because there's a good chance that even if you tried a second time, you're now putting yourself in a disadvantaged position.

That brings me to the third thing, input error.
Try turning on input display next time, but I can see that you are failing several fireballs/srks. This isn't the biggest problem right now, because you'll learn proper inputs as you go, but as I said, stop repeating the input until you get it, this is just giving your opponent a free way in, especially at lower "yolo" ranks.

I wouldn't mind playing you a bit, just to give you an idea on spacing/punishes and such with ryu.

Really appreciate the advice - thank you! I'm already rolling back on my sweeping a lot. And it helped not get pummeled early - but my single or 2-hit jab just doesn't really ever do any damage. I think I'm playing a bit "smarter," but the outcomes have actually been a lot worse. I haven't won a single match in rookie in 20+ games. Many of them have less than 100 games under their belt.

It's very, very discouraging. I was reading something someone posted here, and it really resonated with me: "Reasonable confidence that you can succeed is like a super power." ... After 25 hours and less than a dozen wins, I don't think I have that confidence. Maybe I do? But the truth is, getting pummeled over and over just isn't "fun," and I play games to have fun. Gonna take a break for a bit and see how I feel in a week.

That said, sincerely, I really do appreciate all the advice. Maybe it'll be like Bloodborne and I'll crave it, get gud, and see the end here soon. But I can definitely tell I need a breather.

Saw this at SRK and couldn't help it but mention it here. These are profile pages of two low ranked players. But check out their record in Casual matches.

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/Chun-Li_Forever
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/NaruHina-10usAce

Talk about never wanting to have a bad day when you log on lol. This goes completely against the new system they have in place for SFV because they didn't want players cherry picking weaker opponents, which was possible in SF4.

I remember when I started my PC account I wanted to rank up fast so that I wouldn't have to keep playing very low ranked players. But these guys are having the time of their lives beating up on newbies and lower skilled players. Who knows how many more players are out there doing the same thing to boost their ego's lol.

Really appreciate the advice - thank you! I'm already rolling back on my sweeping a lot. And it helped not get pummeled early - but my single or 2-hit jab just doesn't really ever do any damage. I think I'm playing a bit "smarter," but the outcomes have actually been a lot worse. I haven't won a single match in rookie in 20+ games. Many of them have less than 100 games under their belt.

It's very, very discouraging. I was reading something someone posted here, and it really resonated with me: "Reasonable confidence that you can succeed is like a super power." ... After 25 hours and less than a dozen wins, I don't think I have that confidence. Maybe I do? But the truth is, getting pummeled over and over just isn't "fun," and I play games to have fun. Gonna take a break for a bit and see how I feel in a week.

That said, sincerely, I really do appreciate all the advice. Maybe it'll be like Bloodborne and I'll crave it, get gud, and see the end here soon. But I can definitely tell I need a breather.

my offer of playing you is still on the table; ofc I didn't mean like a real match, but to give you some pointers.

HabeeNo

Holy shit

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
my offer of playing you is still on the table; ofc I didn't mean like a real match, but to give you some pointers.

Thank you!! I'm normally pretty anti-social online, but I will take you up on that offer. Gonna rot my brain out on other entertainment today, and travel Mon & Tue for work. May I PM you in the next couple days and set up a few hours that works for you?

Thank you!! I'm normally pretty anti-social online, but I will take you up on that offer. Gonna rot my brain out on other entertainment today, and travel Mon & Tue for work. May I PM you in the next couple days and set up a few hours that works for you?

sure, I'm in CEST.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If you're unhappy with the damage you're doing and also want to take a break from losing, I'd recommend picking 3 simple combos and practicing them every day in training mode, even if it's just for a few minutes. You want a combo you can reliably complete off of a successful jumping attack, you want a ground combo that does a lot of damage that you can reliably execute whenever the opponent does something with a lot of recovery frames, and you want a combo that starts with a crush counter that you deploy when the opponent whiffs a DP or other crush-counterable move.

You might also want to find an easy combo that is safe when your opponent blocks, just so you have something to do when they block that pushes them back and does a little gray damage.

Practice these over the next week, and soon you will automatically be able to do them in response to the right situations. It'll still take practice in real fights, of course, due to nerves, but you'll be more prepared to capitalize on your opponents mistakes, which will be frequent in rookie league. You just need a bit of knowledge and execution under your belt.

If I recall correctly, I made it to Silver with just some basic combos and good defense. I didn't even know how to maximize v-trigger cancels or anything. My hit confirming was good, though, which is something you'll have to work on after you've internalized a few combos.

Saw this at SRK and couldn't help it but mention it here. These are profile pages of two low ranked players. But check out their record in Casual matches.

Talk about never wanting to have a bad day when you log on lol. This goes completely against the new system they have in place for SFV because they didn't want players cherry picking weaker opponents, which was possible in SF4.

I remember when I started my PC account I wanted to rank up fast so that I wouldn't have to keep playing very low ranked players. But these guys are having the times of their lives beating up on newbies and lower skilled players. Who knows how many more players are out there doing the same thing to boost their ego's lol.

It's really unavoidable. To Chun Li Forever's credit, that dude isn't that good. I've beat him before (at least I think I have!). Some people just wanna shit around in Casuals, and they don't improve at all despite playing so many games.

Zackat

I remember when I started my PC account I wanted to rank up fast so that I wouldn't have to keep playing very low ranked players. But these guys are having the times of their lives beating up on newbies and lower skilled players. Who knows how many more players are out there doing the same thing to boost their ego's lol.
This is so weird. I would be so fucking bored.

kirblar

Yeah. If Kolin/Birdie were the norm (lackluster wakeup pressure, opponents tend to be miles from them after they score hits) instead of the exception the game could easily feature stuff like this more often.

mbpm1

Just Laura'd a super diamond

This game is trash

Yeah. If Kolin/Birdie were the norm (lackluster wakeup pressure, opponents tend to be miles from them after they score hits) instead of the exception the game could easily feature stuff like this more often.

That's not actually true. Kolin gets knockdown pressure off of basically all ex or hp hands.

The correct amount of average knockdown pressure for the game to be in an ideal spot is not "0". :)

My character(Ryu) has one of the hardest times pressuring people in this game. Despite that I don't want knock down pressure to disappear from this game. I just want them to figure out another way to weaken it.

It can be something as simple as reworking everybody's throws to remove throw loops and mid screen meaty's. Or something else as long as it gets the job done.

Top Bottom