• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Try playing Smash 4 if you think you might like a game with zero oki pressure. I love it, but it might not be as fun as you think. It slows matches down a lot.

Durden77

I just saw that tier list from Punk. Still playing this game but mainly with just my buddy who we've been playin against each other for years. Kinda been out off the neta stuff though. Is Ryu really that bad now? Damn.

I forgot how terrifying it is to play Flux in this game

Fuck I almost had you. Demon didn't come out :(

And now Guile, my worst personal MU. GGs :)

FluxWaveZ

I forgot how terrifying it is to play Flux in this game

Fuck I almost had you. Demon didn't come out :(

And now Guile, my worst personal MU. GGs :)

GGs. I got a bit too carried away with RTSD in the second set with Mika, and I still have a lot of trouble with overall neutral/footsies when an opponent doesn't leave themselves open too much. I like Guile when I get in the frustrated/impatient mindset because it lets me control things.

GGs. I got a bit too carried away with RTSD in the second set with Mika, and I still have a lot of trouble with overall neutral/footsies when an opponent doesn't leave themselves open too much. I like Guile when I get in the frustrated/impatient mindset because it lets me control things.

Yeah you really did end up incessantly trying to get in, and I seemed to have a solid understanding of our footsie range so I could see why you sightly strugged with that. I also let you get away with far too many dropkicks and I need to lab Akuma's options against it. It was a solid set tho.

mbpm1

So someone has brought the following to my attention

At several points in time I have mained
Gief at the beginning of season 1
Vega
Juri
Kolin
Ryu at season 1

I have thought all were strong characters who could get it done and all but ryu ended up being rated terrible tier

Now I'm playing Laura and I find her a difficult character whose strength is hard to grasp

....hmm

Edzi

Vega
Juri
Kolin
Ryu at season 1

I have thought all were strong characters who could get it done and all but ryu ended up being rated terrible tier

Now I'm playing Laura and I find her a difficult character whose strength is hard to grasp

....hmm

Maybe you're just bad? ;)

Sayad

Looking at that character selection, you need to learn how love and appreciate the vortex. ;p

Solid play with Laura, Mika, S2 Gief and Ibuka isn't much of a factor until really high level play, and it's much harder to pull off than it is with your previous characters, it's all about how good your vortex game is right now.

Fitts

Question for PC players: has anyone encountered slowdown only when the "character x wins" text fades in and out after a match? It doesn't do it on my htpc (i7/1070) but does on my cab build. (i3/1050ti) I immediately thought my settings my be too high but I turned everything down all the way just to be certain and it still does it.

mbpm1

Looking at that character selection, you need to learn how love and appreciate the vortex. ;p

Solid play with Laura, Mika, S2 Gief and Ibuka isn't much of a factor until really high level play, and it's much harder to pull off than it is with your previous characters, it's all about how good your vortex game is right now.

but i like solid play

is this why lauras are all nuts

EVO replay is on Disney XD at the moment, so you can see how it looked on TV.

Tasty Steve and Seth Killian for TV, instead of James Chen and Sajam for the twitch stream.

mbpm1

I think the online connections are getting worse. Maybe one sided rollback from my end to the opponent too, because now many many people are not giving me runbacks.

Strangely, this has happened far more frequently since I've started playing Laura.

Oh wait

Is Ryu really that bad now? Damn.

Yeah, unfortunately for guys like me he is. Forget everything else he lost, it's really just the nerf to his j. LK and throw that sent him to the bottom tier. In a game so focused on offense, he's can't keep up because he lacks the ability to continually apply pressure or play aggressively. Having to outplay your opponent in neutral so often is really hard and that's what he has to do.

Man I feel like it was only yesterday when I said these nerfs were too significant without decent buffs to make up for them and everybody else was like "you're crazy, look at his damage when he lands a jump in heavy attack with full meter".

Edzi

I hate playing this game for a couple hours and realizing that I'm around the same LP as I started with at the end of my session. So much back and forth.

Pachinko

Question for PC players: has anyone encountered slowdown only when the "character x wins" text fades in and out after a match? It doesn't do it on my htpc (i7/1070) but does on my cab build. (i3/1050ti) I immediately thought my settings my be too high but I turned everything down all the way just to be certain and it still does it.

Yup , PC version also doesn't play nice with 4K .... it's kind of a crummy port all around. Not sure if it's just a ton of unoptimized code or what exactly.

Saw this at SRK and couldn't help it but mention it here. These are profile pages of two low ranked players. But check out their record in Casual matches.

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/Chun-Li_Forever
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/profile/NaruHina-10usAce

Talk about never wanting to have a bad day when you log on lol. This goes completely against the new system they have in place for SFV because they didn't want players cherry picking weaker opponents, which was possible in SF4.

I remember when I started my PC account I wanted to rank up fast so that I wouldn't have to keep playing very low ranked players. But these guys are having the time of their lives beating up on newbies and lower skilled players. Who knows how many more players are out there doing the same thing to boost their ego's lol.

Like I've said, replace with it ELO ranking and add a lobby instead of playing Russian Roulette.

The more I think about S3 update, the more I think of this game's awful online portion. Still no tournament mode for a game that focus so much on CPT Online.

Yup , PC version also doesn't play nice with 4K .... it's kind of a crummy port all around. Not sure if it's just a ton of unoptimized code or what exactly.

The game runs well over 100fps on a 1060. The Vsync is what causing the slowdown.

I'm glad the "Raaashiiidooooo" chants from the crowd were audible on TV during Moke's entrance (and Seth acknowledged it).

That's something I wanted since launch last year. An arena full of people singing along to Rashid's theme.

nded

I get this as well. First second or so of the win animation runs at like half the frame rate, right? Odd since I never get dips or slowdown anywhere else.

Vega
Juri
Kolin
Ryu at season 1

....hmm
Yeah I definitely don't think she's bad but I'm doing pretty badly with her so I get what you're feeling. I found playing juri nash, Karin and Guile a lot easier than transitioning to laura despite her having great normals that can buffer into safe special cancels, a fireball, good anti airs and all that. Just because trying to get into the right mindset you need for a hybrid grappler throws me off. I play way too passive and reactively and you need to take some risks with her.

mbpm1

Yeah I definitely don't think she's bad but I'm doing pretty badly with her so I get what you're feeling. I found playing juri nash, Karin and Guile a lot easier than transitioning to laura despite her having great normals that can buffer into safe special cancels, a fireball, good anti airs and all that. Just because trying to get into the right mindset you need for a hybrid grappler throws me off. I play way too passive and reactively and you need to take some risks with her.

I've had so many matches where I get someone down to 10% and I'm use my usual trait where I sit back and wait for them. Then I die.

Shadoken

Started playing ranked again properly and made it to Diamond with Nash wohoo.

Interesting thing to note , I used to play a lot but always go up and down. Like I'd beat Super or Ultra Diamonds and then just lose it all to Plats who would just play hyper aggressive or did dumb shit. Then i would get salty that I lost and try to make back the points I lost and start losing even more.
So I stopped playing and decided to just play 6-7 focused games a day and just look at my replays and see what I did wrong. Worked out really well and Went to Diamond in a just a few days. I just play casuals and then treat the few Ranked games I play as a kind of mini tournament.

I think the most important part to getting better is self reflection and not burning yourself out. Just play Solid and dont stoop to dumb tactics even if the opponent is doing so , remain solid and make the best decisions always.

Edit :
Also saw cross counter today and one of my games randomly showed up haha. I Beat Smugs necalli , granted he was obviously just trolling but still xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIo_pgi4Js
@10:30

Fitts

I get this as well. First second or so of the win animation runs at like half the frame rate, right? Odd since I never get dips or slowdown anywhere else.

Yeah I don't get it. It's rock solid otherwise and I keep everything at max save for post processing (motion blur sucks) and AA. (just don't like the look with it maxed)

Have no idea what's up. Maybe I should swap gpus for the fuck of it justt to make sure it's not the culprit.

Vega
Juri
Kolin
Ryu at season 1

....hmm
Gief is the only character I can be somewhat respectable with and I'm still trash with him in the big picture.

No matter how much practice I put in with other characters, none are as decent as my Zangief.

I need Hugo or 360 Grappler Menat!

Started playing ranked again properly and made it to Diamond with Nash wohoo.

Interesting thing to note , I used to play a lot but always go up and down. Like I'd beat Super or Ultra Diamonds and then just lose it all to Plats who would just play hyper aggressive or did dumb shit. Then i would get salty that I lost and try to make back the points I lost and start losing even more.
So I stopped playing and decided to just play 6-7 focused games a day and just look at my replays and see what I did wrong. Worked out really well and Went to Diamond in a just a few days. I just play casuals and then treat the few Ranked games I play as a kind of mini tournament.

I think the most important part to getting better is self reflection and not burning yourself out. Just play Solid and dont stoop to dumb tactics even if the opponent is doing so , remain solid and make the best decisions always.

Edit :
Also saw cross counter today and one of my games randomly showed up haha. Beat Smugs necalli xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNIo_pgi4Js
@10:30

Congratulations! It's cool that you got a match on Excellent Adventures, especially one where you win.
I think people only ever upload videos of me losing. There's this old SF4 video of me getting crushed in an online match to some Ryu player and it has 10,000 views and I can't figure out why so many people would want to watch that.
I've been wavering between Super Platinum and Ultra Platinum myself for a while, but I think I may finally be making some game play breakthroughs because I'm on a hot streak towards Diamond right now.
I just played this fun match against a Rashid and it got my blood pumping so much that I had to quit afterwards so that I can get enough sleep for work tomorrow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3wbYSSpD8

Teh Lurv

Yeah, my PC (i5/960) drops to 40-50fps during the win animation at 1080p.

Blueblur1

EVO replay is on Disney XD at the moment, so you can see how it looked on TV.

Tasty Steve and Seth Killian for TV, instead of James Chen and Sajam for the twitch stream.

Oh snap, I had forgotten about it.

I just tuned in and saw myself in my white shirt in the seats behind the players. Anyway, its interesting to watch from this perspective.

Edzi

Yeah, that's it. I'm done with ranked. I thought people would have better connections at higher levels, but if anything the connection quality has gotten worse in the upper plat/diamond range (gee, I wonder how half these people got ranked this high). It's obviously not everybody, but with how messed up the league point system is, constantly losing points to laggy connections just makes it frustrating beyond belief and it's turning into a massive waste of time.

Yeah, that's it. I'm done with ranked. I thought people would have better connections at higher levels, but if anything the connection quality has gotten worse in the upper plat/diamond range (gee, I wonder how half these people got ranked this high). It's obviously not everybody, but with how messed up the league point system is, constantly losing points to laggy connections just makes it frustrating beyond belief and it's turning into a massive waste of time.

They really should fix the way the LP system works. It's quite unforgiving.

Sayad

I've figured it out

I can't play characters that can't control space from range

Ed, Laura, can't do it

Oh so it's exactly as I though in my kinda joke post! You were really trying to play a honest neutral game with Laura when you should just gamble in neutral and develop a sold vortex game instead!

Sort of what happened to me with Mika in S1! :)

mbpm1

Oh so it's exactly as I though in my kinda joke post! You're were really trying to play a honest neutral game with Laura when you should just gamble in neutral and develop a sold vortex game instead!

Sort of what happened to me with Mika in S1! :)

I'm just totally lost in neutral with her lol

I guess if what you say is true neutral isn't where i should even be trying to get damage and instead only when I'm planning my next devious jump or dash

This is...totally outside my comfort zone. I kinda want to give up...but I think I'll keep trying

Almost 2000 lp loss trying to play Laura in neutral. Man

Edzi

I'm just totally lost in neutral with her lol

I guess if what you say is true neutral isn't where i should even be trying to get damage and instead only when I'm planning my next devious jump or dash

This is...totally outside my comfort zone. I kinda want to give up...but I think I'll keep trying

Almost 2000 lp loss trying to play Laura in neutral. Man

Just play Rocwell some more if you wanna see Laura's neutral. She's got some good buttons for that too.

FluxWaveZ

Laura has very good neutral buttons. cr.HP, cr.MK, st.MK, st.HK, f.HP, cr.HK. And a lot of them convert. She essentially has range similar to a shoto's, and she can limit the other character's options with stuff like Thunder Clap and st.LK. I have a ton of experience facing Laura (but not enough), and part of what makes the Mika vs. Laura MU such a pain in the ass is how Laura outclasses her in the neutral.

Top Bottom