• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Sure, at lower levels, there are very obvious things one could point out to work on by looking at a replay. It's just that, MUs still matter at lower levels. For example, if you're playing a character with poor AA options and you keep dying fast from characters who have excellent jump-ins, that problem can be more apparent at lower levels than at higher ones, with AA being a harder thing to grasp as a novice, while jump-ins are simple business and easily abusable.

cr lp/mp from Bison is all I have and I'm free to command grab characters like Laura. Fuck her.

That being said, most Laura's in my bracket aren't doing things that are safe and those are things I can definitely capitalize on. The MU is going to matter at every level, of course, but homeboy needs to look at himself either way before going full tilt.

FluxWaveZ

Bison's cr.LP is legitimately one of the best AAs in the entire game.

But on the topic, I agree. Blaming the character for one's losses is usually fallacious, unless it's one of the lopsided MUs in the game like Gief vs. Dhalsim.

Damn that's true.

Point still stands. Character deficiencies matter but lower level boys like us have bigger problems than the characters themselves.

Or if you play Alex.

Stop playing Alex.

Marvel

could never
Like, I'm shitting around in Ultra Sliver, not JUST because Bison has shit defense, but because I'm leaving damage off the table.
That's half the battle then, it's good to know what you need to work on. Get those big conversions/v-trigger combo's flowing and you'll fuck people up.

Bison's defense isn't great yeah, hence why I rarely stay still.

VariantX

I'm stuck at Super Bronze. I will never platinum this game.

Survival is crazy

Which is why you don't play it. Its damn near unwinnable except through A.I. exploits which turn the game into a repetitive slog. Just play Casual, Ranked, or Lobbies or whatever. You'll eventually get out of bronze hell at some point.

I wonder if Capcom with quintuple down on "this is a game casuals can beat pros at" nonsense with their next fighter, or if they will change gears and say "this is for the hardcore community". Laying the whole game down for casuals hasn't done them a lot of good.

kirblar

I wonder if Capcom with quintuple down on "this is a game casuals can beat pros at" nonsense with their next fighter, or if they will change gears and say "this is for the hardcore community". Laying the whole game down for casuals hasn't done them a lot of good.
Assuming it's SF6, it'll probably follow the same simpler control scheme of SFV, which is fine.

SFV was a weird beast at launch. It is very much a "easy to play, hard to master" type of game that casuals could just mash in (especially thanks to crush counters). It is very spectator friendly too. Unfortunately they gave casuals fuck all to do with the game outside of the tragic implementation of survival mode in SFV. I would imagine that SF6 is going to be chocked full of content and modes even if it's base roster might be small enough for some sort of F2P format.

kirblar

SFV was a weird beast at launch. It is very much a "easy to play, hard to master" type of game that casuals could just mash in (especially thanks to crush counters). It is very spectator friendly too. Unfortunately they gave casuals fuck all to do with the game outside of the tragic implementation of survival mode in SFV. I would imagine that SF6 is going to be chocked full of content and modes even if it's base roster is small enough for some sort of F2P format.
Anecdotal experience: younger kids without much FG exp I've been around like SFV/Injustice. Not so much Marvell.

I don't think they got it anymore tbh

One thing I can say for damn sure, their design philosophy is never going to be "for the hardcore community". They either make their games fun to spectate but shitty to play or neither.

JusDoIt

I think I only beat NORMAL survival mode with laura and cammy. That was enough stress for me.

I’ve gotten every trophy for SFV by just playing normally except the hard and hell survival joints.

This is the closest I will ever get to a platinum trophy and I’m fine with that.

SFIV had the balance tho

Hell no. USF4 was a game that played itself; it was saturated with OS' to a point that just wasn't fun. Good to watch? Yes, absolutely. But it was only ever fun for the people who took the time to master what was essentially bugs that never got fixed.

Anecdotal experience: younger kids without much FG exp I've been around like SFV/Injustice. Not so much Marvell.
The team aspect and non 3P/3K button layout can be confusing issues if not handled right. MvC3's button layout worked well enough despite being 4 buttons, but I hear MvCI is a bit more complicated.
I think I only beat NORMAL survival mode with laura and cammy. That was enough stress for me.
Those are enough to clear with all the characters, but I couldn't beat hard mode with Karin or Alex. Screw wasting even a minute on extreme difficulty.
Also September stats

Karin should just be the Street Fighter poster girl from now on. Ever since the launch of SFV she has been the overall most popular female character. Only Cammy comes close. Laura was also actually the most popular of the SFV newcomers until Menat came around. I don't even know who uses Chun. I see her about as often as Kolin. Ah, and Abi is holding his own pretty well for a "weirdo" and "ugly" character. That is a nice surprise.

JusDoIt

Hell no. USF4 was a game that played itself; it was saturated with OS' to a point that just wasn't fun. Good to watch? Yes, absolutely. But it was only ever fun for the people who took the time to master what was essentially bugs that never got fixed.

Before the flame war starts, I’m on this team.

USF4 is dope, but I prefer SFV

Marvel

could never
When's zeku
npp1mo5o

I never got into it enough to really form an oppinion, but just by rough comp of features, V trigger and Vskill are awesome, and will only get way better with choice. Worse fireball game and no ko chip are godsends.
Just straight improvements imo.

SF4 was a goofball game where defensive options like crouch teching, invincible backdashes, and the huge reversal window were at odds with how tightly you needed to play to be offensive; whether it be one frame links or having your safe jumps or KD setups on point. This made it fine to watch, but playing it (especially with adding a layer of online underwater input) made the game so stupid to play.

ElFly

robert redford is nodding right now and he doesn't know why

I don't think they got it anymore tbh

SFV was a weird beast at launch. It is very much a "easy to play, hard to master" type of game that casuals could just mash in (especially thanks to crush counters). It is very spectator friendly too. Unfortunately they gave casuals fuck all to do with the game outside of the tragic implementation of survival mode in SFV. I would imagine that SF6 is going to be chocked full of content and modes even if it's base roster might be small enough for some sort of F2P format.
Quoting CB because I never say anything nice about SFIV, and I am going to give him this one.

SFIV was hype as hell to watch. I rented it on release and found it boring. Two years later I tuned into a stream and was enthralled by the intense situations and deep decisions being made. The sudden shifts in tempo, the massive punishes, the risks you could take on a hard read that turns the whole game around. It's just a damn fun game to watch. So I bought it. I didn't like it, but I still think the gameplay is extremely intense and keeps the viewer engaged and guessing.

In contrast, I like SFV more as a game, but as a viewer the game is underwhelming. I don't even enjoy watching my main get played because the opportunities for deep and intense play are limited by the mechanics. Mostly because nothing replaced focus attacks. V-Skills are a failed concept.

CCs are a gamechanger for me, I love watching sfv for these phat punishes.
When someone whiffs in other games, I immediately expect a CC, but then nothing happens and I get sad.

nah I enjoyed playing it as much as I enjoyed watching it.

people complain about OS' then when they see like Tokido do an OS VSkill parry to punish a V-Reversal yall lose ya minds lmao

Fuck no. I enjoy playing USF4 but watching the game at tourneys bores me to tears.

I can understand. Watching football can definitely be more exciting than watching chess.

Top Bottom