• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

Never played KI...what's an Instinct?

An individual trait a character recieves after they fill up the instinct meter. Works the same way as V-trigger. Capcom said they were watching how KI was doing things so the inspiration came from that.

Jago gets life stealing fireballs
Orchid summons cats
Sabrewulf's normals chip on block

Dai101

Banned
Never played KI...what's an Instinct?

It is a special technique that causes the user to become infused with energy that enhances their abilities. All combatants can do this.

List of Instinct Abilities (bolded the one from Max's quote):

Jago - Tiger's Focus: Endokuken is replaced by Double Endokuken. All Endokukens heal Jago if they hit the opponent. Jago gets 2 extra frames of advantage on all moves.

Sabrewulf - Feral Rage: Deals additional damage when attacking. All moves now cause chip damage on block.
Feral Cancel: Can cancel out of any ground move into a neutral, ready state. Activated by pressing both Heavies while Feral Rage is active.

Glacius - Crystalize: Activates ice armor that can absorb one hit. The armor automatically regenerates after a short time if destroyed. Gives a total of five pieces of armor.

Thunder - Murder of Crows: Thunder can cancel into and out of dashes. All dashes become invulnerable. In addition, dashes can go through his opponent.

Sadira - Widow's Edge: Sadira gains the ability to jump cancel moves on hit or block. Can be activated midair.
Web Trap: Places a web trap. Can be performed during most moves. Only one can be active at a time and they have a short cooldown. Activated by pressing both Heavies while Widow's Edge is active.

Orchid - Cat's Call: Summons a flame cat assist.
Firecat: Summons another flame cat assist. Can be performed during most moves. Only one can be active at a time and they have a short cooldown. Activated by pressing both Heavies while Cat's Call is active.

Spinal - Spectral Summon: Summons one extra skull, and begins to generate new skulls over time at a steady pace. Gains additional frame advantage on some moves.

Fulgore - Blast Core: Sets Reactor spin speed to maximum and prevents it from decreasing for the duration of the Instinct.
Reactor Charge: In the near future, pressing both Heavies during Blast Core will allow Fulgore to charge his Shadow Meter faster still, hearkening back to his Season One incarnation.

TJ Combo - Glory Days: Speeds up most of TJ's movement and attacks for the duration of the Instinct.
Last Breath: If you lose the final round with full Instinct, gain a small amount of health and half the duration of Glory Days to fight again. Is executed automatically upon getting knocked out. Pushes opponents back slightly when activated.

Maya - Possession Rite: Summons the Temperance and Vengeance daggers to Maya. For the duration of Possession Rite, any daggers thrown, regardless of where they end up, travel directly back to Maya.

Kan-Ra - Curse of Drought: Kan-Ra's body begins leaking sand. This allows him to use Sand Jump, Sand Dash, Sacrifice and launch Tornado projectiles from Whirl without a Sand Trap. Kan-Ra can also Sand Dash cancel or Sand Jump cancel his normals on hit or on block.

Riptor - Rage: Riptor runs faster. Her fire moves and tail strikes have increased range.
Omen - Shadow Gathering: Omen releases an additional fireball when performing Rashakuken. Each Rashakuken locks out one bar of the opponent's Shadow Meter on hit. Additional fireballs are also summoned when performing Shadow Rashakuken and Shadow Orda Shield.

Aganos - Peace Time: Aganos is given a regenerating Peacekeeper (uprooted wall) for a short time. This Peacekeeper doesn't require a wall to be created beforehand.
Hisako - Tousoushin: Hisako's Wrath Meter doesn't deplete upon attacking, letting her cancel into Counter Hits whenever needed.

Cinder - Pyromania: Cinder is permanently in the Fired Up state for the duration of Instinct Mode. Can be activated midair.

Skilletor

We will see how it plays out. I'm rather sure they will tweak the gain of the V-Gauge again and again. But knowing the Capcom of the past few years, I remain highly sceptical.

There isn't even anything comparable to the Feng Shui, or genei jin, so far. I get concern, but it's misplaced as far as your examples go. Chun gets extra hits on normals. That's all. She still has to land those normals. It's not like she can cancel normals into other normals as you'd be able to in Jun's ultra or a CC type super.

Sheroking

That guy on the Eurogamer video was saying it felt slower than SF4. Wonder if most felt the same way.

The speed of any given match of SF4 is dictated by the players and characters. PR Rog vs Poongko is stupid fast and Snake Eyez vs Justin takes all year.

I mean, I know what people mean by slow is walk speed, hitstop, block stun, etc - but ultimately that's not going to determine how fast the game is played. It will be the mechanics and defensive options which determine how "safe" people play it, and therefore how it's actually paced.

cackhyena

The speed of any given match of SF4 is dictated by the players and characters. PR Rog vs Poongko is stupid fast and Snake Eyez vs Justin takes all year.

I mean, I know what people mean by slow is walk speed, hitstop, block stun, etc - but ultimately that's not going to determine how fast the game is played. It will be the mechanics and defensive options which determine how "safe" people play it, and therefore how it's actually paced.

I know. I also noticed how much faster the timer seems to move compared to SF4. I'm sure once everyone is up to speed with the characters, matches will move along plenty quickly, overall.

Yeah, at this point I think we can stop attributing SFV's V-Trigger to Injustice or KI influence. It's an obvious holdover from Darkstalkers.

Sheroking

Too OP lol. Only way both hands come out is if SF suddenly gets fatalities.

No fatalities.

Only foodalities.

streetfightervmatch_610a.jpg

fader

If we are gonna play this "V-Trigger is Instinct mode" game then how about Instinct Mode is Dark Force!

*snaps fingers*

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thinking about the possibility of Oro in SFV made realize that his V-Trigger would totally have him utilizing both hands. It'd be so awesome.

I hope Bornfree is right.

I dunno. Back in 2008, Megahouse released their "Excellent Model" figurine series. Among them were Ibuki and R. Mika. The former ended up appearing in SSF4...the latter never appeared in anything after SFA3.

vg260

So Charlie not being a charge character gives me hope for Guile, but the projectile absorb/reflect stuff make me nervous we won't get Rose. That would be a bummer. They could really do her design justice with some top notch animation in this game.

This is going to be the first time ever of maining Ryu. All because he had parries. I can't wait! :)

Also, I'm really hoping for Oro to appear! That would be simply amazing. Love that character.

Man that video was amazing. I'm most impressed with the sound effects, cloth physics and animations.

Superb. Fighting looks very fun too. Less gimmicky then most SFIV fights

nded

Nash's sonic booms seem to start up pretty slow. Maybe they're QCF now?

Also, game looks plenty fast to me.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ryu's forward dash and most a lot of the normals in general look pretty fast actually. Maybe the fact that the game seems to actually have block stun makes it look slower. Also did anyone see the recovery on bipson's DR? he landed and jabbed ryu right in the gentleman sausage before the even knew what happened. I'm pretty sure the game will look a lot faster when we see people who know what they're doing play it.

Charlie's Sonic Boom seems to have a slow startup but you can cancel it into his V-Trigger for Seth teleport shenanigans

You can also cancel his Rugal DP with it for some cool as fuck air combos
Does something look off about Bison and Nash? Like they aren't as polished graphically as Chun Li and Ryu.
They're likely still polishing them

GnawtyDog

Banned
The game looks too good.

Imagine all we've gotten but add 12 more characters to the roster. It's going to be a DEEP dive for sure.

Dat versus screen.

Top Bottom