• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken Vita |OT|

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, aside from waiting on the codes issue to be fixed, my impressions of the Vita package are very good.

The presentation is modified ever so slightly to fit the screen, didn't know that; mainly moving the preview of character models at the select screen to a new screen where you pick costume, colors, and gem unit. No prob, it's all there, just in a different order.

Loading off the retail game card is nearly as fast as the PS3 to me. Loading a full match seems to take maybe 2 seconds longer.

In-game graphics really are exceptional considering the game that's being powered. Framerate rarely stutters from 60fps (and stays 60 during character intros and outros unlike some games even on consoles). For the hell of it I tried every stage to check out the backgrounds - yep, they've all been rebuilt as alternate version of themselves, with different animations - but that's good. They look complete rather than cut down and limited. As has been remarked, characters almost look better without the metallic sheen on them, go figure.

Vita d-pad proves godly as usual, and the slower pace of this game benefits the portable format, compared to MvC3. To confirm though, one thing they did do to squeeze more graphics in, is turn off self shadowing. MvC3 has shadows (IIRC), this doesn't. Doesn't make a big difference on the small screen.

It sure is packed with stuff, I gotta say. The data share between PS3 and Vita looks good in concept, I'll have to test it later and see if it's working right. According to the instructions, don't forget you have to manually upload and refresh data to the server - in the context of this game, I think that is a good thing, not a hassle. There's too much fiddling around with gem settings and costume colors. This actually treats the data share server as a cloud backup! If you experiment with settings on one system and don't like them, you can just re-download the last cloud server save and restore. If I understand this correctly.

Otherwise definitely an excellent package, tho obviously it doesn't equal Mortal Kombat or BlazBlue for sheer amount of single player stuff to do. (But then, nothing outside of Smash Bros. or maybe freakin' Soul Calibur III matches those games.)

Now can I plz have my DLC characters on PS3.

Jeff mentioned on the bombcast that the controls don't work well for vita.

Can someone explain why? Haven't played the console game, is this a 6 button fighter?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

Can someone explain why? Haven't played the console game, is this a 6 button fighter?

It is, But that never stopped me from enjoying the 3DS version of SSF4. I believe you can map certain button combinations like all punch or kick to the touch screen or back touch panel.

Did he say why? Haven't listened to GBC this week yet.

If he is straight up playing 6 buttons with the shoulders, I can see how he is having problems. Some have mentioned pressing the triggers with other buttons can be a pain. Is it is for me sometimes.

He should use the front 4 quadrant touch screen buttons as well. They help me a lot.

Ok Vita-GAF, I've decided I'm going to pick this up today.

Now I need to decide which cover I want (first world problems and all).

Which of these three is the super coolest?

VLJM35011geo.jpg

VLJM35011bic%281%29.jpg

VLJM35011yamada.jpg

I'm kinda leaning toward the third one because it has more of a distinct look than the others.

d0c_zaius

playing SF4 on 3ds was a nightmare for me. Mapping the touchscreen buttons isnt a prob, but I want it to be an actual button so I can press 3 punches or 3 kicks (don't like macros) and for some reason the game didn't register pressing the touch screen and buttons at the same time (as PPP).

Kai Dracon

playing SF4 on 3ds was a nightmare for me. Mapping the touchscreen buttons isnt a prob, but I want it to be an actual button so I can press 3 punches or 3 kicks (don't like macros) and for some reason the game didn't register pressing the touch screen and buttons at the same time (as PPP).

This could be a legit issue, I don't know yet. The vita touch screen is, obviously, far more sensitive than the 3DS screen being capacitance. I've tried using the on screen shortcuts for PPP and KKK a few times to test supers. It does work, it is more responsive than SFIV on 3DS. But can't say how awkward this is gonna be in a real fight.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
For some reasons I can't get the AR function to work, it gets stuck in the Loading Character screen forever. :/

Some else experiencing this?

Ken

I'm kinda leaning toward the third one because it has more of a distinct look than the others.

The second cover makes Ryu look like a pervert or something. Lol.

Is there a demonstration mode in trial?

fernoca

Finally arived home..ate something..downloaded the patch on Vita and PS3.
-Preorder code unlocked the 12 extra alternate costumes on Vita, but not on PS3.
-Included voucher unlocked the 38 swap costumes across both versions (whire are/were free at the Store some hours ago).

So, at the moment the only things missing are:
-The extra 12 characters unlocked on the PS3 version
-The (preorder) extra 12 costumes unlocked on the PS3 version

In either case, the Vita version is quite a great port. Still toying around with options and settings. Cross-Play is a nice touch for whenever a friend comes, as I don't have a second controller.

And two quick pics:

vg260

There needs to be an option to disable the left analog stick in any Vita fighter. It keeps screwing up my moves. Ugh. It's really pretty awkwardly placed for fighters. Really annoying for charge characters.

Vita would be much better with the d-pad below the stick so it's not so easy to bump.

Kai Dracon

After playing more with the virtual buttons on the touch surface they are very responsive and I can do super... but even so, I would pay money to patch in the option to toggle the super move command to double scoops (two quarter circles) plus one attack button. I don't see how that would mess execution up if you know what you're doing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
For some reasons I can't get the AR function to work, it gets stuck in the Loading Character screen forever. :/

Some else experiencing this?

I've had that happen too. Seemed like it didn't generate properly if the area I was pointing the camera at wasn't bright enough.

So I played a bunch more online last night.

I think the netcode/connections being established is not that good.

Even playing full 3 bar matches, it is not smooth most of the time. And often, it is still laggy. I don't know if the indicator is wrong and it's not really 3 bars, or the quality goes down before the match starts. It will even slow down during the round transitions.

2 bar matches are fairly terrible. There is alot of lag, slowdown and teleporting around the like the GGPO code on 3S:OE. very frustrating.

I tried a 1 bar for the hell of it. Of course it was unplayable, hehe.

I know I shouldn't compare this to UMVC3 because they are different dev teams, but I don't have these problems with that game. Most of my matches are super smooth.

This is not the case with my time with this so far. Most of my matches are bunk. I don't think it's my connection, because it's the same set-up for UMVC3, which works awesome. It's very frustrating and disappointing.

I also wish you could set ranked search criteria for only 3 bar matches (unless I am missing that option).

2&2:

Your feeling my pain!! lol. I have been wishing forever that they would swap the d-pad and left stick position. And move them apart more on both sides. :(

Takao

Banned

I like the first one most.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So I played a bunch more online last night.

I think the netcode/connections being established is not that good.

Even playing full 3 bar matches, it is not smooth most of the time. And often, it is still laggy. I don't know if the indicator is wrong and it's not really 3 bars, or the quality goes down before the match starts. It will even slow down during the round transitions.

2 bar matches are fairly terrible. There is alot of lag, slowdown and teleporting around the like the GGPO code on 3S:OE. very frustrating.

I tried a 1 bar for the hell of it. Of course it was unplayable, hehe.

I know I shouldn't compare this to UMVC3 because they are different dev teams, but I don't have these problems with that game. Most of my matches are super smooth.

This is not the case with my time with this so far. Most of my matches are bunk. I don't think it's my connection, because it's the same set-up for UMVC3, which works awesome. It's very frustrating and disappointing.

I also wish you could set ranked search criteria for only 3 bar matches (unless I am missing that option).

I can't say how ranked is; only been playing endless. The online play has been much better than Marvel for me. Pretty much been only playing against PS3 users...and I make the lobbies so I can kick anyone with poor connections.

fernoca

No word from Capcom, yet related to the DLC/12 characters issues.

Reading around, there was a similar problem with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and owners of the Special Edition not been able to download Jill and/or Shuma on the Vita game.

Back then, the game was released on Feb. 15; but the problem wasn't acknowledged until Feb. 26. Then, a fix was expected by Feb. 28; but it actually made it on...March 27.

I guess patience is the key. Hopefully it will be fixed faster, but Capcom's silence seems to be a trend. In my case, is no biggie as I wasn't even expecting the 12 extra characters on PS3 and wasn't even expectting getting the PS3 version along the Vita version (thanks to that awesome Gamestop deal). But it is still a problem to many, and the faster Capcom acknowledges it, the better.

vg260

No word from Capcom, yet related to the DLC/12 characters issues.

Reading around, there was a similar problem with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and owners of the Special Edition not been able to download Jill and/or Shuma on the Vita game.

Back then, the game was released on Feb. 15; but the problem wasn't acknowledged until Feb. 26. Then, a fix was expected by Feb. 28; but it actually made it on...March 27.

I guess patience is the key. Hopefully it will be fixed faster, but Capcom's silence seems to be a trend. In my case, is no biggie as I wasn't even expecting the 12 extra characters on PS3 and wasn't even expectting getting the PS3 version along the Vita version (thanks to that awesome Gamestop deal). But it is still a problem to many, and the faster Capcom acknowledges it, the better.

Yeah, they need to say something asap. Maybe it has to go through PR channels. They can't really publicly blame Sony if it's all their screw up with the codes, and redemption logistics. (which is my guess). My understanding is the publishers submit the data and Sony (or MS) handle their store logistics and give the codes to print on the sheets.

fernoca

That's another thing also. Unlike the Shuma/Jill issue were it was just "one issue", here is a mix of things.
  1. Included vouchers redeeming 38 Swap costumes for PS3 and Vita, and nothing else.
  2. Included vouchers redeeming 12 extra alternate costume (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  3. Preorder codes from Gamestop redeeming 12 extra alternate costumes (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  4. Preorder codes from Amazon redeeming 12 extra alternate costumes (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  5. Preorder codes from Amazon redeeming 38 Swap costumes for PS3 and Vita, and nothing else.
  6. Preorder codes from Amazon just not working at all.
  7. Digital/SEN-Vita purchases not giving the 12 characters for PS3 and 38 Swap costumes for PS3/Vita.

One common thing is that none unlocked the extra-12 characters on PS3; or any related thing.

My case was #3 [Preorder codes from Gamestop redeeming 12 extra alternate costume (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3)] along no unlock of theose characters on PS3.

So, wonder if that might have an effect on when to expect an update or even have this issue acknowledge with a vague "we're working on a fix".

Lothars

That's another thing also. Unlike the Shuma/Jill issue were it was just "one issue", here is a mix of things.
  1. Included vouchers redeeming 38 Swap costumes for PS3 and Vita, and nothing else.
  2. Included vouchers redeeming 12 extra alternate costume (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  3. Preorder codes from Gamestop redeeming 12 extra alternate costumes (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  4. Preorder codes from Amazon redeeming 12 extra alternate costumes (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3).
  5. Preorder codes from Amazon redeeming 38 Swap costumes for PS3 and Vita, and nothing else.
  6. Preorder codes from Amazon just not working at all.
  7. Digital/SEN-Vita purchases not giving the 12 characters for PS3 and 38 Swap costumes for PS3/Vita.

One common thing is that none unlocked the extra-12 characters on PS3; or any related thing.

My case was #3 [Preorder codes from Gamestop redeeming 12 extra alternate costume (i.e. the preorder extra), but only on Vita (no PS3)] along no unlock of theose characters on PS3.

So, wonder if that might have an effect on when to expect an update or even have this issue acknowledge with a vague "we're working on a fix".
I think it's exactly the same issue as the Shuma/Jill where once they release the fix, it will fix it for ps3 owners and vita owners.

Jawmuncher

Did someone post on Ask Capcom yet?
Last time I did about the Jill/Shuma issue they actually did get to working on it, and even set codes out early to those who replied in the thread so they could use them before the fix was up.

It was pretty awesome and one of the few times Capcom PR was surprisngly great.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Just remembered how much I hate the online ranking system. Win a few, gain some points, lose a few, lose all the points. Was at 100 but now i'm back at square one :(

fernoca

Update from Capcom...kinda.

Yuri (Dubindoh) from Capcom, made a post n his blog about all DLC of the game been on sale.

Among the things he posted, he posted "instructions" on how to get the extra characters on PS3 if you bought the Vita version.
And if you've had any trouble redeeming your DLC that came with the PS Vita version of SFxT, here are some tips.
Followed later (and for those that got the digital version) by:
Speaking of Vita DLC, if you bought the Download Version of the game, here are instructions on how to redeem the 12 characters on your PS3:

1) Purchase SFxTK Vita (Download Version) from the PS Store, using either your PS3 or PS Vita.
2) Turn on your PS3 and access the PS Store using the same PSN ID you used to purchase the game in step 1. You can now download the “Street Fighter® X Tekken® Additional Characters Pack (12 Chars)” for free from the store download list.
**Alternatively, you can also access the in-game store from the SFxTK PS3 game menu to download the DLC. It will be found in the “System Expansion & Tools” section.
3) Boot up SFxTK for the PS3 and the 12 DLC characters will be available.

Hope that helps - but please leave a comment below if you have any issues/questions.
Of course, people got "angry" about it, since it made it look as if the "DLC problems" were user related. So...the "problem" was acknowledged as an update on the same post:
UPDATE: We apologize for the inconvenience... We're aware of the issues with DLC codes and we're working with Sony to make sure everything gets fixed. Please hang tight a little longer and rest assured you will get your DL goods.
So..hang tight!

Anyone with the digital version can see the extra costumes ready for download, at least?

Anyway, seems I mixed what I have/don't, made a list to see:

Got from included voucher:
-38 alternate costumes (Vita)
-38 swap costumes (Vita) [but from SEN Store mistake, not the voucher]
-38 swap costumes (PS3) [but from SEN Store mistake, not the voucher]

Missing from included voucher:
-38 alternate costumes (PS3)
-12 extra characters on PS3

Got from preorder code (Gamestop):
-12 extra characters alternate costumes (Vita)
-12 extra characters alternate costumes (PS3)

Missing from preorder code (Gamestop):
-Nothing

And really like the way you customize characters on Vita, using the touchscreen to rotate and zoom too.

finally found the time to go out and actually buy the game
i prefer having a physical copy
only to find out my vita is out of battery.

I won't be home for a few hours so it'll be a while before I could
take a shit and
play...

So... After playing for a couple hours, it's a pretty good port. IMO, it's a better port than umvc3
though I still prefer umvc3 in general

I don't know who else bought the 25th anniversary sf collection, but it won't let me get the dlc that I got from there. It's disappointing but I'm optimistic capcom will do something about it

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Update from Capcom...kinda.

Yuri (Dubindoh) from Capcom, made a post n his blog about all DLC of the game been on sale.

Among the things he posted, he posted "instructions" on how to get the extra characters on PS3 if you bought the Vita version.

Followed later (and for those that got the digital version) by:

Of course, people got "angry" about it, since it made it look as if the "DLC problems" were user related. So...the "problem" was acknowledged as an update on the same post:

So..hang tight!

Anyone with the digital version can see the extra costumes ready for download, at least?.

I'll have to try that tomorrow. Because I tried day one that way (going into the PSN store on PS3) and no unlock. :|

Anyway, I hate the FORCED touch controls of Gem selection and character editing. Why can't I use buttons for both of these? Same for titles. I understand it's to make it "easier to select stuff" for some people but given how the touch-screen is a bit wonky on detecting me going "new page, new page, NEW PAGE. NEW PAGE, DAMN IT" it seems like Capcom really should've left those menus alone and/or just added touch been done with it. :/

Haven't tried the touchpad for PPP/KKK yet. I really don't want to, but I guess it's mandatory to pull off supers consistently. Though this just makes Marvel 3 (A/B/C/D fighter) > vs Juggleken (L/M/H P/K fighter) because of it. :/

TheSeks

Okay, touchpad for PPP/KKK works. A little awkward to dodge the right stick for it, but it works all the same.

Game's become somewhat playable.

Skyzard

Banned
Should I give up waiting and buy retail? I could wait for NFS MW in a few days.. JSR would have really helped.

This just seems much more useful digital...damn that price though..hmm can't make up my mind, anyone else holding off due to the price? I mean it's like £15 for the console version on..amazon. Just seems crazy to be over double. Guess now I know how a lot of SCEA customers feel..

TheSeks

Honestly, the Gamestop deal is probably the best thing the game is going to have in terms of value. You get the PS3 version along with the PSP2 version for basically the price of one or the other. It basically makes you "cross-buy" out of the box.

You'd be better off not waiting for the DLC shit to be fixed.

As for digital and going that route: Currently DON'T unless Capcom actually fixes their shit and makes getting cross-buy less a PITA than currently.

Kai Dracon

Does Burst Kumite mode pull player profiles off PSN without fighting online matches? Or do you have to go online and fight a real battle against someone to have them show up in Kumite?

TheSeks

You have to go online and BEAT them for them to show up in Kumite, IIRC. I only have one person in my KO museum thingy and they show up.
because it's the only match I've played online. Hohohohoho.

Kai Dracon

You have to go online and BEAT them for them to show up in Kumite, IIRC. I only have one person in my KO museum thingy and they show up.
because it's the only match I've played online. Hohohohoho.

Ahh, Ok. Too bad it doesn't work like ghost battle.

Even though I don't know shit about Tekken and much about the gameplay systems in this, I truly gotta applaud Capcom's technical efforts here. Game looks fantastic.

Is Cole okay?

I'm trying to find a partner for Sakura...

TheSeks

Is Cole okay?

Is Cole even in the game? I didn't notice him. I don't even see Bad Boxart Rockman either.

As for Sakura, you might want to do Ryu since thematically she likes/trains with him.

SUPARSTARX

Even though I don't know shit about Tekken and much about the gameplay systems in this, I truly gotta applaud Capcom's technical efforts here. Game looks fantastic.

Is Cole okay?

I'm trying to find a partner for Sakura...

Is Cole even in the game? I didn't notice him. I don't even see Bad Boxart Rockman either.

As for Sakura, you might want to do Ryu since thematically she likes/trains with him.

Cole has some cheap stuff but he has conflicting commands so he might be hard to use on d-pad. He has a QCF and HCF move that conflicts cuz of shortcuts. They're fixing that up in 2013.

fernoca

I like Cole, but sucks that him (like Kuro and Toro) can't be used in "arcade/story mode". At the same time, you can use both in "kumite" and is the same, without the lame/nonsensical story. :p

Top Bottom