• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken Vita |OT|

Skyzard

Banned
Smaller =! better. With that logic a game gear game looks great from a certain distance too.

Dafuq..

Who said smaller resolution = better?

I said that's basically the only real slight against it, other then shadows. What is there is pretty fantastic, as you can see from the video..

Even in the soft image of the Vita version, you can see the scaled back character models and simpler texturing of the iOS version.

Hell just watch a video of the iOS version in action, it's not even a comparison really to the Vita version; which has more geometry and character models, shaders, lighting, effects, etc. The background blacks out with only one character model during a super even, exactly like Street Fighter 4 on iOS that I had on my old Iphone. Nice diversion, but still really really gimped.

Are we really seriously suggesting it compares? *scratches head*

You got resolution, I guess?

Jinroh

Dafuq..

Who said smaller resolution = better?

I said that's basically the only real slight against it, other then shadows. What is there is pretty fantastic, as you can see from the video..
Some people think that because the screen is smaller than the screenshot it makes it look better. Since it depends on the distance you look at the screen, it's not really a valid argument. I took another screen that looks similar to your video:

a8b07eec15b24d2d71ed2ebf6aa19.jpg

What I criticize is their artistic direction, especially the colors. Either there's a problem with the hardware, either they did a bad job at porting it. I'm all for 60 fps, I love it. But sub-native res really doesn't look good, we lose a lot of details in the process.

As for shadows, I don't see any in both ports. And yes, I own both versions, and I take the screenshots myself.

I love that game. But I really wish they could have put more effort into it, and I seriously hope the hardware can do better than that.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm all for complaining...but that just looks really good to me (I see your point about the skin tones though..I can live with that).

I hope we see more native res vita games in the future too but this looks like a good port to me tbh.. You get quite a bit extra for that slight loss of crispness. Look at the models in MK...could have been a lot worse.

With shadows I was comparing it to the console version.

Also things do look better on vita. I've compared some screenshots directly on my relatively new mbp with them on the vita after transferring them and there is a significant difference in how good it looks (not talking about compression at all - no clue about that).

Skilletor

That shot looks fucking awesome to me.

But whatever. iOS doesn't have buttons. I don't give a damn how it looks, that version is unplayable. That's important.

Also, screenshots taken on Vita don't look the same as the screens we post since there's hella compression going on with what is posted.

Jinroh

Yep. Actually that's funny, because characters like Zangief or Sagat look good, because of their size. But smaller characters like lili look much worse because of their size.

And some of them really suffer from this orange skin. I don't know where it comes from and why they did that, but when you compare it with the IOS port you can clearly see the difference.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
That shot looks fucking awesome to me.

But whatever. iOS doesn't have buttons. I don't give a damn how it looks, that version is unplayable. That's important.

Also, screenshots taken on Vita don't look the same as the screens we post since there's hella compression going on with what is posted.

I would call it playable...for iPhone. But it's silly to be comparing these iPhone ports with console versions. The game play is greatly-simplified and there's a ton of detail missing.

Skyzard

Banned
Yep. Actually that's funny, because characters like Zangief or Sagat look good, because of their size. But smaller characters like lili look much worse because of their size.

And some of them really suffer from this orange skin. I don't know where it comes from and why they did that, but when you compare it with the IOS port you can clearly see the difference.

Conspiracy theory = to cancel out blue tint on vita's screen when viewed from the side (on lookers / advertising etc :p)

Jinroh

Never said the contrary, I'm talking purely about the technical aspect, not the gameplay.

I can assure you it looks EXACTLY the same. You can have your own opinion about it, but I took these screenshots, and I have the game running right here under my eyes. 100% identical.

I'm all for complaining...but that just looks really good to me (I see your point about the skin tones though..I can live with that).

I hope we see more native res vita games in the future too but this looks like a good port to me tbh.. You get quite a bit extra for that slight loss of crispness. Look at the models in MK...could have been a lot worse.

Aside from playing it in a higher resolution, it's not much of a comparison to the Vita edition. The iOS version has really simpler character models, the engine can't even handle the full zoom ins during supers.

Skilletor

I can assure you it looks EXACTLY the same. You can have your own opinion about it, but I took these screenshots, and I have the game running right here under my eyes. 100% identical.

Well, since I can do the same, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It's not like I'm speaking from ignorance here. :)

Skyzard

Banned
I don't know about compression, but the same exact image looks better on my vita then on my mid 2009 mbp.

Tell me where you see the effects of compression here:

The bookshelf on the left, near the bottom, behind the rails on the right side and on the ceiling to the right of her head..:p

Jinroh

I posted screenshots I took from my vita to support what I'm saying. Now since you are supposedly right, tell me why there's no loss in quality due to compression on these particular ninja gaiden screenshots, while it is apparently so obvious there's a miraculous loss in quality when it comes to Street Fighter X Tekken screenshots. Please elaborate.

I posted screenshots I took from my vita to support what I'm saying. Now since you are supposedly right, tell me why there's no loss in quality due to compression on these particular ninja gaiden screenshots, while it is apparently so obvious there's a miraculous loss in quality when it comes to Street Fighter X Tekken screenshots. Please elaborate.

Ummm... There is...

Skyzard

Banned
You can't argue when I'm stating fact. You can see artifacting in that image everywhere. you may need to get your vision checked if you don't see it.

Hell, you can see it clearly right above the word "Fiends".

Is a bit of a stretch ;P but yeah there is some, pointed more above. The darker black patch on the cape above "fiends" is what he's referring to - or the huge ceiling patch I mentioned (further up from the word).

Jinroh

It does cause minor contrast problems on dark colors. It is absolutely not related to the fact that some games run in sub-native resolution, and thus look aliased and blurry due to poor scaling. This particular problem doesn't happen on home consoles since they do a much better job at handling the scaling of non-native resolutions. And that's what I'm talking about.

Skyzard

Banned
It did happen on consoles, especially during their first years.

Wait, the upscaling is bad? Hmm not sure about that tbh..

Welp, the new DLC is messed up. The alt pack for the DLC characters that went up today is only giving the PS3 version to dl. The Vita version still showing a purchase needed. Looks like they didn't associate them correctly.

Have they said anything about this? I was on the phone with Sony for an hour trying to explain it. They were nice and all but they seemed like they didn't know why it was doing that

Lyte Edge

Is the iPhone version real 3D this time around?

Yes, the game uses polygon models instead of pre-rendered character sprites, so it runs pretty smoothly (on an iPhone 5), but much like SF4 Volt is limited in its roster selection (only 10 characters), has simplified controls, and the tag system doesn't quite work the same way- you can only tag in your partner for a limited time. A lot of detail and animation is missing. There's also a lot of game play features that have been removed. It's a fun time waster I guess, but don't expect too much from it, and it's laughable to even attempt to compare it to the Vita version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
a8b07eec15b24d2d71ed2ebf6aa19.jpg

What I criticize is their artistic direction, especially the colors. Either there's a problem with the hardware, either they did a bad job at porting it. I'm all for 60 fps, I love it. But sub-native res really doesn't look good, we lose a lot of details in the process.

As for shadows, I don't see any in both ports. And yes, I own both versions, and I take the screenshots myself.
It's definitely a lot more detailed than the iOS version.

streetfighterxtekkenmobile_ipadgamereviews11.png

vg260

Have they said anything about this? I was on the phone with Sony for an hour trying to explain it. They were nice and all but they seemed like they didn't know why it was doing that

Not sure. I haven't been able to get back on PSN since then. It took them a couple days to get the previous stuff fixed on the store, so probably the same deal. I sent an email to the address about the new DLC alt stuff, but it may be a while.

Lyte Edge

I sent an Email to the Capcom Unity address provided a few days ago and haven't heard anything back.

fernoca

Yep. Sent email, nothing yet...but..
The 38 alternate costumes pack (one of the things missing from the Vita-voucher, as the code only gave me said pack, but for the Vita game), did appeared as "free" on the Store yesterday (to me).

At the moment, the only thing missing in my case are the 12 DLC characters for PS3.

And a reminder...
The 12-DLC characters Swap costumes are not part of any voucher/preorder/etc.; and the pack obtaining both Tekken and SF-DLC Swaps are currently on sale or $3. So, those looking to have "everything" could jump on that. :p

Lyte Edge

I'll check PSN tonight and see if it's free for me too.

I just need the 38 character alternate costumes and I'm set. Don't care about the pre-order code not working since I got those outfits. Don't care about the DLC characters on PS3 since I bought them in July. Just gimme dem alt suits.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely a lot more detailed than the iOS version.

streetfighterxtekkenmobile_ipadgamereviews11.png

Yeah, I don't get how can anyone claim that iOS looks close, let alone better, than the Vita version.

I actually believe that the iOS version is closer to the 3DS SFIV, with the second even having advantages in certain areas.

super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition.jpg

AwRy108

Yeah, I don't get how can anyone claim that iOS looks close, let alone better, than the Vita version.

Um, people innately hate the Vita, yet they don't know why--this is how such silly claims get made.

Any person with functioning eyeballs who sees the two versions in motion can clearly see that the Vita version looks leagues better than the iOS version.

Um, people innately hate the Vita, yet they don't know why--this is how such silly claims get made.

Any person with functioning eyeballs who sees the two versions in motion can clearly see that the Vita version looks leagues better than the iOS version.

i think the vita looks great. the character models might seem off compared to the console versions
i think they have a bright color scheme that makes them "glow" but it doesnt bother me
but they look a lot better than any iOS game

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I just now got my fixed codes from Capcom account support. Entered them into PSN, and did finally get the 12 DLC character pack, and the 38 base character alternate costume set for PS3.

Btw, I think as we've talked about before the reason the Vita characters look so bright is the metallic Tekken 6 skin shader from the console versions is removed. I don't think the characters are re-textured. Vita just displays the base texture shading obscured by the metallic effect.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Iphone version looks better. Wonder why they skimped on the Vita version?

It does? Lots of stuff missing in the backgrounds of the iOS version.

Anyways I glad I looked at this thread. I thought I was owed alternate outfits for my characters! I'll have to download them tomorrow, as I'm working two shifts today.

Lothars

I just now got my fixed codes from Capcom account support. Entered them into PSN, and did finally get the 12 DLC character pack, and the 38 base character alternate costume set for PS3.

Btw, I think as we've talked about before the reason the Vita characters look so bright is the metallic Tekken 6 skin shader from the console versions is removed. I don't think the characters are re-textured. Vita just displays the base texture shading obscured by the metallic effect.
Did you buy the retail version or the digital? I bought digitally and sent in but still haven't heard from them yet.

AwRy108

Didn't CAPCOM make a statement that the DLC issue will be fixed during the Nov. 6th PSN Store update? I don't mind waiting if this is the case.

Playing this right now. I'm not the biggest fan of this game but I'm very very impressed with the port. It has everything the console version has and more making this a good value. Just one thing though, I was trying to play my friend on PS3 in a private endless battle but we couldn't accept eachothers invites. Is there something special you have to do?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Did you buy the retail version or the digital? I bought digitally and sent in but still haven't heard from them yet.

Didn't CAPCOM make a statement that the DLC issue will be fixed during the Nov. 6th PSN Store update? I don't mind waiting if this is the case.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I got the retail version. I emailed them since I redeemed my (broken) code from the retail package after the 4pm time stamp their blog post mentioned.

Speaking of which, they just emailed me again with another code for the 38 alternate costumes, claiming they'd sent me the wrong code. Except the first code they sent me did work.

So. Anyone want this code? It's supposed to be for the 38 alt costumes for PS3. Just PM me.

Lyte Edge

Still nothing from them for me. :( I want those alts!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DLC swaps aren't that good. I expected more for Cody. :( And the color edit doesn't help either.

yurinka

Really liked the PS3 version. I'll buy the Vita version soon, maybe next week as soon as I finish LBP Vita. Can't wait to check the new characters!

Edit: Oops I'm late for the code. Doesn't matter, he'll deserve them if he was waiting for the Capcom code :)

Top Bottom