• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken Vita |OT|

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Am I the only one that still finds playing a console quality fighting game on a portable to be a magical experience? Maybe it's just my memories of older handhelds, but seeing a fighting game of this quality on a handheld blows me away. It's really incredible.

It really shows how poor the Mortal Kombat port was. SFxT (like MVC3) throws around loads of highly detailed characters at 60 fps with very little compromise compared to the console version. MK was reduced to the point that it nearly ruined the visuals. Even the video clips weren't displayed properly. It was neat having the game at 60 fps on a handheld, but it felt sub-par compared to Capcom's efforts.

Sorry if asked already asked does the screenshot feature works with this? Heard of a possible subnative res
It is sub-native resolution, but it still looks very smooth and clean in game (perhaps they are using some sort of edge smoothing).

Am I the only one that still finds playing a console quality fighting game on a portable to be a magical experience? Maybe it's just my memories of older handhelds, but seeing a fighting game of this quality on a handheld blows me away. It's really incredible.

It really shows how poor the Mortal Kombat port was. SFxT (like MVC3) throws around loads of highly detailed characters at 60 fps with very little compromise compared to the console version. MK was reduced to the point that it nearly ruined the visuals. Even the video clips weren't displayed properly. It was neat having the game at 60 fps on a handheld, but it felt sub-par compared to Capcom's efforts.

It is sub-native resolution, but it still looks very smooth and clean in game (perhaps they are using some sort of edge smoothing).

completely agree

I've actually played my MK copy for less than like 15 minutes since I bought it. I think it's a combination of the visuals and just being a Capcom fighter lover for years anyway. I still bought it to support the dev's efforts and the system though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There doesn't seem to be a disconnect percentage shown in the online UI. No rage quits yet in ranked though.

You can check player profiles for disconnection percentages. Press start when matched up and one of the options will give you this info. Highest I have seen in this game is 14%.

I turned off the back touch buttons. But I am using the 4 quadrants on the front screen. i have Q3 for 3P and Q4 for tagging out.

I don't find the triggers uncomfortable, but I just cannot seem to press them at the same time when doing moves or pull PPP or KKK reliably. That's not a knock against the Vita itself, however, since I tend to have this problem on any controller with shoulder buttons. Thankfully the touch screen allows you to map MP+MK, PPP, and KKK to the touch screen, so there's no problems. It works even better than the touch screen panels in SSF4 3D Edition did.

Sorry if asked already asked does the screenshot feature works with this?

Yes. I posted some screenshots on the last page:

I took some screenshots. They don't look as good as the game does in motion on the OLED screen, etc. etc.

7Kvntl.jpg
POiyJl.jpg

huPLBl.jpg
pN06Al.jpg

fc2lMl.jpg
aXZSgl.jpg

uMdw5l.jpg
eCiRGl.jpg

ln1ajl.jpg
2q1CQl.jpg

ai0Fsl.jpg
BODVel.jpg

xdHNKl.jpg
hH0vol.jpg

wwt8Ul.jpg
UXY9el.jpg

cNcNWl.png

Lyte Edge

I'm the same way. I love fighting games and I love portable systems. Every time a new fighter of this quality is released, I'm blown away and wind up spending entirely too much time with it. This port is going to have me playing SFxTK like crazy again.

In this game's case, it's not just the quality of the port, but the cross-play feature. It's absolutely amazing. I can't get over how well it works!

Disagree with you here. The Mortal Kombat port was not "poor." The visuals suffered, yes, but that was the only problem with the port. It runs and plays exactly the same as the console versions and has more content available. I don't think I'll be playing it all that much now that SFxTK is finally out, but that's mainly more of my preference for Capcom fighters over MK.

dark10x

Disagree with you here. The Mortal Kombat port was not "poor." The visuals suffered, yes, but that was the only problem with the port. It runs and plays exactly the same as the console versions and has more content available. I don't think I'll be playing it all that much now that SFxTK is finally out, but that's mainly more of my preference for Capcom fighters over MK.
You're right, it played very well. Only the visual aspect was poorly handled.

fernoca

I don't see shadows in those screens..? Must have been fakes earlier (old vita thread)..still will pick it up in a few hours, on friday -__- (UK)
The screens in the main post also lack shadows. Weird, didn't nocied. Picking this before friday anyway, can't wait. :)

Valkyr47

Banned

I agree that SFxT is a fantastic port and a wonderful experience so far for me on the Vita (i didnt play console version however)

but i disagree with mortal kombat being a bad port. The video wasnt as high quality, but theyve only got so much space on the vita carts. The character models were ugly in those few up close transition shots in story mode, but in most fights the only time you see them up close is during XRAY moves and those are so cool im not really looking at the model parts, just the awesome gore.

Fact is, they crammed a huge story mode and countless hours of unlockables and challenges into the Vita port plus a ton of new Vita exclusive content. the framerate is super smooth which for a fighting game that relies on input and clarity is key.

Plus i guess just being someone who has been there through older handhelds with awful graphics, i still consider the Vita port of MK to be a nice looking game. Backgrounds are nice and detailed and everything is so fluid

anyways, got off tangent there for a bit. I do have one complaint for SFxT and maybe it can be resolved. When fighting in versus CPU mode (free fight mode basically) it makes me hit X over and over to acknowledge costume choices, colors, gem layout, etc etc

no way to skip over that all and accept defaults? kind of annoying when you just wanna hop in a fight quick

Ken

Hm how do you get that Dudley costume? I only got his costume with the afro from the DLC swap pack?

dark10x

but i disagree with mortal kombat being a bad port. The video wasnt as high quality, but theyve only got so much space on the vita carts. The character models were ugly in those few up close transition shots in story mode, but in most fights the only time you see them up close is during XRAY moves and those are so cool im not really looking at the model parts, just the awesome gore.
It's not so much the quality but the scaling of the videos that bothers me. There are evenly spaced vertical lines present throughout the video that make it seem as if it were being poorly scaled to the Vita resolution. It's rather distracting and a strange mistake on their part.

I suppose you're right, though; the game is actually impressive when compared to the history of mobile fighting games. I simply feel that the hardware should have been capable of more. At the very least they could have used higher resolution textures or something to improve the look of the models.

Skyzard

Banned
^ MK was let down by Unreal Engine imo. Seems like a fun game and heard a lot of good things about it other then the character models...would have picked it up if I found it for a bit cheaper here.

Skilletor

Nope, that's me. I don't even like SxT that much and I bought it. I HATE MK, but I own it. Knew I wouldn't play Blazblue, but I have it.

My friend and I were talking about the MSH port on PS1. It was horrible. Loading, slowdown, missing animation, no modes to speak of. Hell, it didn't even have a training mode. To practice we had to put the handicap down and the rounds to 5.

Completely different now. I love it, and even if I don't care for the fighters I'm buying, I like to support them in hopes that we'll get more.

Come on DoA5, SC5, and TTT2!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nope, that's me. I don't even like SxT that much and I bought it. I HATE MK, but I own it. Knew I wouldn't play Blazblue, but I have it.

My friend and I were talking about the MSH port on PS1. It was horrible. Loading, slowdown, missing animation, no modes to speak of. Hell, it didn't even have a training mode. To practice we had to put the handicap down and the rounds to 5.

Completely different now. I love it, and even if I don't care for the fighters I'm buying, I like to support them in hopes that we'll get more.

Come on DoA5, SC5, and TTT2!

Some may consider it stupid but I've done the same thing - have all the Vita fighters. I may pick this up using the Gamestop deal just to have a PS3 copy of the game client for competitive purposes. The fact that we have portable fighting games now that play correctly since the proper engines can be ported and run on the hardware is too much to pass up.

So double platinum possible?

Do they share list?

I'll do the gamestop deal, got $150 in credit

So if I plat Vita, can I in turn get PS3 Plat like Sound Shapes or Motorstorm RC?

double platinum
different lists
no shared progress

--

So my Amazon code showed up this morning and surprise surprise, it's the 38 core character alts -- but my 12 character dlc for PS3 is still nowhere to be found. Is Capcom aware of this yet?

branny

The fact that we have portable fighting games now that play correctly since the proper engines can be ported and run on the hardware is too much to pass up.
<3

It's incredible, especially after being used to having gimped home console ports on the SNES and PSX/Saturn for so many years. The PSP positively blew my mind when it came out. CPS2 games on that thing was a revelation, seriously. No more crappy "adapted" handheld ports ever, ever again.

So my Amazon code showed up this morning and surprise surprise, it's the 38 core character alts -- but my 12 character dlc for PS3 is still nowhere to be found. Is Capcom aware of this yet?
Mine did, too, except it actually was for the DLC character outfits as intended... How bizarre. (My pre-order was canceled at the last minute, so sometimes Amazon sends the bonus anyway. I am planning to get the digital copy.)

Still haven't heard anything from Capcom regarding the PS3 character DLC. =\

sly16bit

Neo Member

Yeah playing console quality games on the Vita is always fantastic!! Love it! :)

But I disagree about MK being a bad port. The only downside of the Vita port are the character models. I'm pretty sure they could've done a better job than that but everything else was nicely ported! The game plays very very well!! I had hours of fun with it and I'm still feeling like playing more.

sly16bit

Neo Member
By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Capcom should port Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Vita as well?? I'd buy that day one.

fernoca

There has been posts about it at their forums, but no responses from any of the "Capcom guys" (Sven, etc.) at the moment.

And yeah, count me in the "buying figthers on Vita-camp". :p
Though, I like the genre, "I have to get them!".

At the same time, kinda miss the compressed sound, low res visuals and frame rate drops from the "classic" fighters across portables.
Was kinda cool seeing what they managed to cram into such little carts and screens. Alpha 3 on GBA is still quite shocking and it even had more charatcers. Too bad Crawfish is gone.

vg260

Gah. I'm thinking maybe I should have gone w/ Amazon. Maybe once it's sorted out they'll offer a sweet apology gift. I got 50% off MvC3 from Amazon after Capcom's Dead Rising 2 amazon pre-order DLC delay. Worked on multiple copies too. I went w/ Newegg for $10 off

Kai Dracon

I do agree that MK is an excellent port and package on Vita even with graphic downgrade. The only sad part is, Netherrealm is actually really damned good on the technical side IMO - if it hadn't been a rushed launch window port, I suspect it would have some visual improvements.

But come to think of it, based on how well Tekken 5: DR was ported to PSP, as well as Soul Calibur PSP, I bet Namco could pull off incredible ports of TTT2 and SCV for Vita.

Edit:

By the way, am I the only one who thinks that Capcom should port Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Vita as well?? I'd buy that day one.

Shit, I wasn't even thinking of that. That would be excellent.

Sadly I think they'd have to negotiate for a Tatsunoko license for the re-release. Like the deal with JoJo's digital release.

KAL2006

Banned
Yep having fighters on the Vira is great.We know Guilty Gear is coming to Vita and I am hoping it has cross play features with the PS3 version. It would be great if Capcom ported their other fighter to Vita, such as SF3 Online Edition, SSF2HDR and SSFIVAE. Also wouldnt mind Tekken Tag 2 from Namco either.

vg260

Yep having fighters on the Vira is great.We know Guilty Gear is coming to Vita and I am hoping it has cross play features with the PS3 version. It would be great if Capcom ported their other fighter to Vita, such as SF3 Online Edition, SSF2HDR and SSFIVAE. Also wouldnt mind Tekken Tag 2 from Namco either.

Yeah, but Vita's doing so poorly :(

Takao

Banned

I don't play many fighting games anymore but I would be sold day 1 on KoFXIII for Vita. SNK showed interest but that was before Vita was released ... : /

diffusionx

Gold Member
I *really* hope we get a TTT2 port. Namco has treated handhelds extremely well for a long time. Games like DOA5/SF4AE/SC5/etc. are more of a pipe dream.

Lyte Edge

Here's a good comparison of the missing details between the PS3/360 and Vita versions:

sfxt6.jpg

huPLBl.jpg

The Vita version detail level reminds me of Street Fighter IV.

Some may consider it stupid but I've done the same thing - have all the Vita fighters. I may pick this up using the Gamestop deal just to have a PS3 copy of the game client for competitive purposes. The fact that we have portable fighting games now that play correctly since the proper engines can be ported and run on the hardware is too much to pass up.

And now that we can even play online against console players, nothing is lost. Call me crazy, but the Vita version is the best version of SFxTK available. It's not just a fantastic port, but the extra content and cross-play makes it better than the console versions, IMO. I like that I can play the Burst Kumite mode when offline, too. Much better than arcade.

<3

It's incredible, especially after being used to having gimped home console ports on the SNES and PSX/Saturn for so many years. The PSP positively blew my mind when it came out. CPS2 games on that thing was a revelation, seriously. No more crappy "adapted" handheld ports ever, ever again.

There have been impressive fighting game ports since the 8-bit days, though. Takara did an amazing job with World Heroes 2 JET-- the game used SD sprites, but had all of the characters and played pretty closely to the Neo-Geo original. EGM even gave it their silver award. Crawfish Interactive created an awesome port of SFA3 for the GBA and Marvelous made a great version of KOF with EX2. And then there's all the Neo-Geo Pocket/Color games...

But yeah, things are definitely much better now.

Yea, the Mk vita is awesome to me. I don't like the Mk gameplay really though, heh. I just play the tower challenge stuff and dick around in arcade mode. I play it a good amount,

dark10x

Here's a good comparison of the missing details between the PS3/360 and Vita versions:

sfxt6.jpg

huPLBl.jpg
Man, that's a greater difference than I had expected. I almost kind of like the way the Vita version looks, though. The shiny skin of the console shot looks a bit odd.

Lyte Edge

Wuthering_Heights said:
How do you retrieve gifts that you have been sent?

Anyone?

Aren't gifts just customized costume colors? Check the customization options.

And that is one complaint I have about this port...they just added the new modes/features to existing options. Why is Burst Kumite under Arcade and the gallery/AR stuff under Profile settings?

fernoca

Success! Picked my preorder along the PS3 deal from Gamestop.
And earlier than expected too since I don't get paid until Friday.

Now to work until 10pm. :(

Those wondering...the PS3 copy appears at $10 on the receipt.

vg260

Let us know if the voucher code works as intended.

Kai Dracon

Man, that's a greater difference than I had expected. I almost kind of like the way the Vita version looks, though. The shiny skin of the console shot looks a bit odd.

Always felt Capcom was tipping their hat to Namco by using the metallic shine characters in Tekken 6 had. Due to its kind of overtuned lighting. Makes sense, Tekken 6 would have been the baseline comparison for Tekken style, at the time SFxT went into development.

Then Namco went and fixed it for TTT2 with far more natural lighting and flesh tones lol.

KAL2006

Banned
Still can't beleive this is £40 on PSN store. What a joke, should be at the most £30. It is £30 on Amazon. I would have bought it day 1 digitally, just look at LittleBigPlanet, that was £30, and I bought it day one because of that.

tusken77

So you got both for 50 bucks?

Skyzard

Banned
Still can't beleive this is £40 on PSN store. What a joke, should be at the most £30. It is £30 on Amazon. I would have bought it day 1 digitally, just look at LittleBigPlanet, that was £30, and I bought it day one because of that.

Yep, £30 is the just sweet spot for me too, will have to hold off.

c0rderr0y

Neo Member
Capcom has clearly no shame making misleading advertising, this is a vita trailer with ps3 gameplay

trailer
0.jpg

game

Capcom should be sued.

Another reason for me to hate capcom. Yay!

Most of those trailers say the screen was simulated with PS3/Xbox screens.....

Top Bottom