• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider |OT| It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got Dat Schwing)

dcx4610

I think I'm in the minority as I loved Strider on the NES. The Genesis/Arcade version had amazing graphics (dat Robogorilla) but I loved the exploration and upgrade system on the NES and thought it was the superior game.

Having a new Strider game that goes back to the exploration style with power ups is a must own to me. I'm still leery of Double Helix but they'll get my money.

Maxim726X

Anyone know if this is going to be available on the Amazon PS4 digital store? Have some credit burning a hole in my virtual pocket...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think I'm in the minority as I loved Strider on the NES. The Genesis/Arcade version had amazing graphics (dat Robogorilla) but I loved the exploration and upgrade system on the NES and thought it was the superior game.

Before I REALLY knew the Arcade games, I was in love with the NES game. I remember looking at the cover in Toys R Us back in the day and somehow finding it really cool looking... I think I just liked all Capcom's old NES covers in one way or another.

Got the game, and watched the Game Players strategy videos on it too... this really helped set the game into my mind.

Back then, I used to make a lot more references to "Doom Trees" than anything out of Castlevania, ha. Even though I knew of the 'vania's, I didn't really fall for their gameplay until SoTN. But NES Strider's "ScWHING!" slash sound was firmly rooted in my heart...

Also one of those few in the thread that's played and quite enjoyed OSMAN / Cannon Dancer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What time does it come out tomorrow on XBL?

The 360 Version should be up around 5am EST on Wed, like every arcade game on XBL.

The XB1 seems a bit scattered. I've seen stuff do up earlier in the morn, or later at night for it, but sometimes, the page for the game goes up before the content is actually available. And then it can be minutes or hours before it works cleanly. It'll most likely be towards WED too, however, to go along with the XB360 release date.

Slixshot

Banned
OH SHIT I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THIS! Downloading the PS4 version after my exam tomorrow!

GL on your exam
tf2___bro_fist____sniper_and_scout___free_gif__by_sniperisawesome-d51b7dr.gif

senahorse

That music, incredible art design and platforming mechanics. Gives me goosebumps thinking back to when I first played it on my MegaDrive.

Can't wait, I remember coming home with my MegaDrive with a copy of Altered Beast and Strider, both close to their arcade counterparts, one game great the other not so, you pick :). Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Sanctuary

Can't wait, I remember coming home with my MegaDrive with a copy of Altered Beast and Strider, both close to their arcade counterparts, one game great the other not so, you pick :). Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Altered Beast wasn't really too bad for a bundled game, especially if you had someone else to play it with. For me, it was kind of a big deal, because I had been playing it at an arcade in California each day on my way home from school. Then about four months later, I moved back to Indiana, and they only had it at the local arcade there briefly.

When they started showing the screenshots of it for the Genesis, prior to the console's release, I thought it looked really goddamn phenomenal (nothing looked that good at home yet). It was a very faithful port.

^The US box art for Strider was freaking terrible. I had the import version, but somehow over time I ended up with the US version too.

Strider-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Japanese-Box-Cover-Art.jpg

Hmm, tempted to get the Japanese physical version for Strider 2, but I don't know that I want to pay more than double when I'm assuming that means Strider 1 and 2 will be added to the PSN store. It would probably be cheaper to buy them separately from the JP store and get the US digital Strider.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Game reviews.

I need them.

Help me, GAF.

Please.

...I'm gonna be waiting, Capcom. At 12:01 CST on my PS4.

Seik

Banned
Really tempted to import a PS3 physical version, though I want to wait to get a PS4 then import that version instead...

...but I won't be able to play soon if I do the latter. :(

Thread title is really perfect, btw.

Alright. Interview tomorrow at 1. Should be home around 4. Store updates around 5ish? I'm looking forward to the game over getting a new job.

Damn you Capcom. You have my heart again.

senahorse

Altered Beast wasn't really too bad for a bundled game, especially if you had someone else to play it with. For me, it was kind of a big deal, because I had been playing it at an arcade in California each day on my way home from school. Then about four months later, I moved back to Indiana, and they only had it at the local arcade there briefly.

When they started showing the screenshots of it for the Genesis, prior to the console's release, I thought it looked really goddamn phenomenal (nothing looked that good at home yet). It was a very faithful port.

^The US box art for Strider was freaking terrible. I had the import version, but somehow over time I ended up with the US version too.

Strider-Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Japanese-Box-Cover-Art.jpg

I was probably a bit harsh on Altered Beast, I did like the game but punching heads off got boring a lot quicker than slashing enemies with Strider for me :) Admittedly I only had one control for the life of me owning that game, 2 player would have probably fared better.

I'll probably get this tomorrow or sometime this week for PS4. For $15, sure why not? I'll try it out. I loved Strider back in the day on both NES and the Genesis. I am surprised this many people actually remember Strider on NeoGaf since it is so old. Nice.

For the first time ever really, I finished OG Arcade Strider via Capcom Classics Collection Remix on Vita

Other than a few segments that are clearly designed to eat your quarters ala GnGs, its still legit as fuck!

only level I dont care for is the Amazon

The Flash

Banned
The 360 Version should be up around 5am EST on Wed, like every arcade game on XBL.

The XB1 seems a bit scattered. I've seen stuff do up earlier in the morn, or later at night for it, but sometimes, the page for the game goes up before the content is actually available. And then it can be minutes or hours before it works cleanly. It'll most likely be towards WED too, however, to go along with the XB360 release date.

sad.gif

AmyS

Thought this would be a nice way to welcome in the release of the new Strider, watching an outstanding play-through from Japan of a real original Strider arcade machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2g_bsPJwZg

My favorite part of the original game was always that run down a snowy mountain, leaping over the cliff to the other side. ( starts @ 3:05 in that video)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
physical J-PS3 release has download codes for Strider 1 & 2.

Yeah but that's not an option for me

I just pre-purchased on steam. Figured I'd rather have it looking better and it'll be an excuse to finally try out Big Picture Mode on my new monitor.

Damn its crazy that PC gamers will have to wait till the 19th...

I might have to get it on 360 tomorrow... Special pack won't get in till damn near march...

Top Bottom