• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli Producer on Directors "I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/06/studio-ghibli-yonebayashi-interview-miyazaki
When Hayao Miyazaki announced his retirement from Japan’s greatest animation studio in 2013, his young protege Hiromasa Yonebayashi wasn’t worried. The master had already retired five times before. “He was always saying, ‘Oh this could be the last film.’” Yonebayashi shrugs. “He’s still in the office.”

You get the feeling that’s not entirely a comfort. Miyazaki is not the only director at Studio Ghibli, the animation company he co-founded in 1985, but he is behind the three most successful Japanese anime of all time. Princess Mononoke was Japan’s highest grossing film until Titanic – bested four years later by Spirited Away, the first non-western film to win the animation Oscar. Miyazaki’s career has been built on drawing the mutual awe between humankind and nature: no wonder he inspires David Attenborough levels of devotion in Japan.

Ostensibly, his mantle has now been passed to the man perched on a London hotel sofa before me, a slightly awkward 42-year-old in a flat cap with two directorial credits to his name. Even the studio seem faintly concerned that Yonebayashi, despite having landed an Oscar nomination for When Marnie Was There, doesn’t stand quite as tall as Miyazaki: he is accompanied by producer Yoshiaki Nishimura, to flex a bit of corporate Ghibli muscle.

Will Ghibli ever employ a female director? Nishimura fields this question. “It depends on what kind of a film it would be. Unlike live action, with animation we have to simplify the real world. Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked.”
The full article also goes into some details regarding their financial struggles as well as their latest film release: When Marnie Was There which features a female lead and has a 91% on rotten tomatoes.

when the sexist comments come out just right

image.php

I thought he was going to go off on a well-thought-out bit noting deeply-institutionalized sexism and lamenting the industry's incapability of doing better as being the reason.

I don't know what I expected.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought he was going to go off on a well-thought-out bit noting deeply-institutionalized sexism and lamenting the industry's incapability of doing better as being the reason.

I don't know what I expected

I mean, you kinda told us what you expected.

I mean, you kinda told us what you expected.

eqfInRy.gif

Anyway, I did because I was hoping that's what it'd be, thinking there's no way he'd actually just say, "yeah, men are just better at making the type of stuff we want".

I know what I expected, I just hoped it... wasn't going to be. Or something.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Miyazaki has always been pro-woman employment in Ghibli so I wonder what he thinks about this.

In a time when more and more women have been directing anime, and often doing a very good job at it, the comment made by Nishimura here seems very out of touch with reality.

Otherwise, I see from this article that the reputation of Japanese animation worldwide is no closer to breaking free of the shadow of Hayao Miyazaki.

Everything needed is able to be trained, talent and predisposition only gets you so far. If women stand no chance in your industry that's just institutionalized sexism.

Old men have old and outdated ideas about women. News at 11.

This does bring up a good question I'm about to google: How many female anime directors are there?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You'd be astonished how many creative people are coddled and completely out of touch with common sense. And Japanese business has a long way to go. Almost every business no matter how progressive features an apron clad "office lady" to do menial shit on top of normal secretarial duties.

Old men have old and outdated ideas about women. News at 11.

He's 42.

Kusagari

so not as creative as not as strong. man it's a good thing nature gave women the baby thing or they'd be useless.

No, you see they're also better at handling the finances of the family. It's a good thing though that they're mainly handling the money of the creative men who make far more than them.

This does bring up a good question I'm about to google: How many female anime directors are there?

Plenty, and more all the time. Some notable ones:

Naoko Yamada (K-ON, Tamako Market, Sound Euphonium, A Silent Voice)
Noriko Takao (Saint Young Men, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls)
Hiromi Taniguchi (Kurage no Shokudou)
Hiroko Utsumi (Free)
Kotomi Deai (Silver Spoon, Rolling Girls, Natsume's Book of Friends S5)
Mitsue Yamazaki (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Hakkenden)
Shouko Nakamura (Doukyusei)
Atsuko Ishizuka (Prince of Stride Alternative, Hanayamata)
Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko and Hatchin, Yuri on Ice)

You'd be astonished how many creative people are coddled and completely out of touch with common sense. And Japanese business has a long way to go. Almost every business no matter how progressive features an apron clad "office lady" to do menial shit on top of normal secretarial duties.

He's 42.

The producer is 38 according to Google, so we can't even pin this on "lol old people"

38 isn't an old man.

I thought Miyazaki said that. Oops. My bad.

It's still an outdated way of thinking. Needs to die.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I thought Miyazaki said that. Oops. My bad.

It's still an outdated way of thinking. Needs to die.

Miyazaki's movies often star women so if nothing else I'm hoping he's a bit more open minded on these things as he likes making them the protagonists and even some epic antagonists like Lady Hiboshi.

Miyazaki's movies often star women so if nothing else I'm hoping he's a bit more open minded on these things as he likes making them the protagonists and even some epic antagonists like Lady Hiboshi.

Yeah that's what I thought when reading this. Then I remembered he's in his mid 70s and it made more sense. But it wasn't him so... like you, I hope he speaks up. Probably won't though.

HStallion

Yeah that's what I thought when reading this. Then I remembered he's in his mid 70s and it made more sense. But it wasn't him so... like you, I hope he speaks up. Probably won't though.

I sometimes think he's disgusted at worst or just disappointed at best with Studio Ghibli that they couldn't step into his shoes and keep making movies and have to rely on him to make their next big thing. I suppose they all did it to themselves by pushing the myth of Miyazaki as the heart and soul of the studio and I'm sure he is but he can't live forever and Disney is still making great animated movies long after Walt passed on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Miyazaki himself probably feels the same way. I mean he was big on Strong Female Characters but he was also a very grouchy conservative Japanese man.

I sometimes think he's disgusted at worst or just disappointed at best with Studio Ghibli that they couldn't step into his shoes and keep making movies and have to rely on him to make their next big thing. I suppose they all did it to themselves by pushing the myth of Miyazaki as the heart and soul of the studio and I'm sure he is but he can't live forever and Disney is still making great animated movies long after Walt passed on.

Miyazaki and the studio culture he created actively pushed directors out of Ghibli, Mamoru Hosoda being the most famous example. He hasn't seemed to be too interested in establishing a way for Ghibli to live on without him.

HStallion

Miyazaki and the studio culture he created actively pushed directors out of Ghibli, Mamoru Hosoda being the most famous example. He hasn't seemed to be too interested in establishing a way for Ghibli to live on without him.

I didn't exclude him from blame either, I think its his fault as well as he was the star for so long that I think it went to his head, and now he's left realizing his legacy, even his own damn son, can't put out a movie that is worth a damn.

El Topo

If I look at the numbers for Hollywood, it seems reasonable to assume that many hold vaguely similar views there. It's a shame.

I wasn't very surprised, considering the state of women in that industry and the sexist attitudes women in general face in Japan. It's sad, but Japan has a long way to go on that front.

I didn't exclude him from blame either, I think its his fault as well as he was the star for so long that I think it went to his head, and now he's left realizing his legacy, even his own damn son, can't put out a movie that is worth a damn.

Well, I think Yonebayashi, the director featured in this article, has managed with When Marnie Was There to put out a movie better than several of Miyazaki's own, so...

iuxion

Let's also not pretend this problem is exclusive to Japan. The one female director Pixar employed was kicked off her movie. Granted, women directed/co-directed Kung Fu Panda 2,3 and Frozen, but the industry is still very much male dominated.

HStallion

Well, I think Yonebayashi, the director featured in this article, has managed with When Marnie Was There to put out a movie better than several of Miyazaki's own, so...

I haven't seen it yet myself but I plan on it. I do think they have other talent but its people like Takahata who is also very old and takes forever to get a movie out though Princess Kaguya is probably the best thing of theirs they have done in years.

Edit: I was always hoping they could somehow get Hideki Anno to direct or produce or work with them in some manner after he did voicework in The Wind Rises. But this is getting off topic hah

El Topo

Let's also not pretend this problem is exclusive to Japan. The one female director Pixar employed was kicked off her movie. Granted, women directed/co-directed Kung Fu Panda 2,3 and Frozen, but the industry is still very much male dominated.

Yup. Here's an older article on the issue:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/women-hollywood-inequality-directors-behind-the-camera-1201626691/
It's baffling when you take into account that (about) half of society are women. I think K-19:The Widowmaker and Wonder Woman are actually the only (live-action) $100m movies ever directed by women.

PSqueak

Banned
The weirdest thing about his statement is i swear i had heard [equally idiotic] statements saying it's the other way around.

As I posted earlier, the Japanese animation industry is actually a lot better in having females in high responsibility positions such as director than the American animation industry.

I haven't seen it yet myself but I plan on it. I do think they have other talent but its people like Takahata who is also very old and takes forever to get a movie out though Princess Kaguya is probably the best thing of theirs they have done in years.

Edit: I was always hoping they could somehow get Hideki Anno to direct or produce or work with them in some manner after he did voicework in The Wind Rises. But this is getting off topic hah

I'm sure Anno is quite happy (not) making Eva Rebuild at his own Studio Khara while he directs a new Godzilla movie. There's plenty of places to make animation in Japan outside of Studio Ghibli. The only thing Ghibli really brings at this point is a name with international recognition.

J2 Cool

Sounds like its just a weird theory on the genders, that men make fantasy films and women can make realistic Takahata-like films. Not really a headline though.

I've heard plenty of strange sweeping ideas translated out of Ghibli. Look up Miyazaki's thoughts about wanting to create Spirited Away for young girls. People just love headlines too much, Ghibli's not really a place of rampant sexism

I don't know what I expected.
I also read the title as "I don't think it's a coincidence that only men are picked."

Thought he was going to go off on how sexism is the reason for this.

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom