• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli Producer on Directors "I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterAstro

The problem with this viewpoint is that even if you go in with the best of intentions and a willingness to be genderblind/colorblind in selection, the very fact that there's no change in hiring or recruitment procedure will ensure that the vast majority of applicants will be of the same gender/race already in the industry. The only proven way to increase diversity is to purposefully seek out talent from a diverse applicant pool and then select the best from that pool.

For example, when my university wanted to increase diversity but maintain high standards, the only way to accomplish both in a short period of time was to specifically target all the best and brightest of poorly represented groups of people during recruitment. And as a result, the pool of minorities to choose from were stacked with qualified individuals, whereas before, there might be a very small pool of minorities who applied with only a few qualified individuals.

Basically, if they were to wait around for one female applicant per hiring phase, it's a total crapshoot on how qualified she'll be. If they seek out a hundred qualified women and invite them all to apply, they have a hundred qualified people to pick from.

I don't think the application process involves what I'm saying. You could have 1 female and a thousand males, and if the female is most qualified, it still fits my statement whether it was a small or large pool of female selection. My statement is only looking for one person.

I understand that what the producer said would ward off females from applying, but I was speaking based on a person that isn't sexist.

duckroll

The contrast between this stereotype vs. American or European gender stereotypes is interesting to me. Personally, I think that if American or European men were going to stereotype women, they'd stereotype them as being more idealistic, dreamers, where as men would be stereotyped as the "Day to day realistic manager" or whatever the person says.

Obviously it's just a bull shit excuse, but I find the contrast between the stereotypes interesting.

I don't think this is a contrast between East and West, so much as a contrast between gender inequality mentalities in different industries.

If we're talking about competitive business or financial environments, I'm certain that even in Japan, you will see men in leadership roles express opinions that women are not as "cutthroat" or "pragmatic" as their male counterparts, and hence might struggle to close a deal because their "emotions" get in the way, etc.

In more physical environments like military or police, you might see male supervisors make comments about how women might be more suited for desk jobs rather than front line duties because they lack the physique or stamina, etc.

If you look at the retail environment, you'll see lots of male managers and supervisors believe that women are best used as front line staff because they "relate to people better" while men are better at "managing the overview and seeing the big picture" and so on.

Hence it should not be hard to believe that in a creative environment, men in power might also make leaps in logic to justify why their gender is better poised to take charge.

I don't think the application process involves what I'm saying. You could have 1 female and a thousand males, and if the female is most qualified, it still fits my statement whether it was a small or large pool of female selection. My statement is only looking for one person.

I understand that what the producer said would ward off females from applying, but I was speaking based on a person that isn't sexist.

Except that you are incredibly unlikely to get one woman who is more qualified than a thousand men. It's just numbers, any time you have a thousand shots with one group and only one with a second, you're more likely to have a genius among the thousand. And then that just builds up the idea that women are less qualified.

Whereas, if you rigorously recruited women and stacked the deck with a hundred good candidates, you're far more likely to find one whose more qualified then all the male applicants. But you won't get that without action on the part of the recruiters.

Doesn't sound any less sexist (or at least full of preconceptions), if slightly more positive than Nishimura's comments.

I can understand where you're coming from. At the same time, it should be kept in mind that these comments are coming from employees of a studio with a large proportion of female employees in all areas, and one which supports the promotion of female employees such as Naoko Yamada to higher positions of power. I do think it's true that women can provide unique creative perspectives born out of their experiences of being female, and that that is all the more reason why women should be encouraged and supported in creative pursuits, because those perspectives are valuable ones that should be heard.

duckroll

Your statement has no basis in reality though. Humans and HR doesn't work that way. Who is "best qualified" for a job is an arbitrary decision made by humans. It is not some sort of objective calculation based on universally agreed metrics. Therefore, in the scenario where a job opening has 1 female applicant and 1000 male applicants, the odds are stacked against the job going to a woman. This is turn results in an unbalanced working environment which lowers the changes of women applying for jobs like that, because they don't think there is an opportunity for them.

Don't forget, saying that "the job should go to whoever is best qualified, regardless of race/gender/<insert whatever minority discussion here>" as an argument against diversity policies assumes that jobs usually by default go to whoever is "best qualified". They often don't, but we accept that it's acceptable as long as the person is qualified enough to be given a shot, since it's hard to define what "best qualified" means. So why is it that people find it harder to accept that when it comes to pro-diversity debates? No one is asking for underqualified or unqualified women to get a job in place of a qualified man. People are just saying that in a general playing field of people with more or less the same qualifications, work environments which are under-represented by women should try to give women a better shot to even things out.

Xe4

Banned
I hope you don't think that's what he said. He drew a distinction between the kinds of films men and women excel at, but did not say that women cannot direct animated movies.

Women can direct any kind of movie or animation, what they excel at comes down to the way they think and their life experiences, something that cannot be simplified down go women are worse at directing fantasy anime. That's equally rediculous.

Toxi

Banned
I hope you don't think that's what he said. He drew a distinction between the kinds of films men and women excel at, but did not say that women cannot direct animated movies.
It's equivalent to a scientist saying there aren't many women employed in STEM fields because women are better at creative endeavors and men are better at hard science.

AKA it's obvious exclusionary bullshit.

Those are like the opposite stereotypes from what I'm used to hearing.
Yep. Goes to show how the stereotypes are post-hoc BS.

Dice//

Banned
This is that special brand of sexism that reminds me of Ueda's comments about the genders of the composers for Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=23624633

igo0g2H.png

Violet_0

Banned
the plot of When Marnie Was There is just slightly less nonsensial than Poppy Hill, how the movie sits on a 93% RT score is beyond me. The movie is pretty and you get the usual dose of Ghibli Japan country life nostalgia and that's all there is to it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The contrast between this stereotype vs. American or European gender stereotypes is interesting to me. Personally, I think that if American or European men were going to stereotype women, they'd stereotype them as being more idealistic, dreamers, where as men would be stereotyped as the "Day to day realistic manager" or whatever the person says.

Obviously it's just a bull shit excuse, but I find the contrast between the stereotypes interesting.

Nah it totally make sense the stereotypical post war role the man and woman had in Japan. The man was the breadwinner, out in the corporate world. The woman was the manager of the house, budget, etc.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Miyazaki has always been pro-woman employment in Ghibli so I wonder what he thinks about this.
Not to mention almost every one of his protagonists are (often strong-willed, adventurous and imaginative) girls and women.

That's really depressing. Miyazaki is probably leagues more progressive and he's old enough to be his dad, so the whole age thing doesn't even matter anymore.

Wait... so his rationale is the game was male focus so he had to have a male composer? What? How does someone come to such a conclusion?
In other news, Castlevania Bloodlines, the Igavanias, and the Wild ARMs series are totally targeted at female players! Maybe that explains why I love them...
/s

Those are like the opposite stereotypes from what I'm used to hearing.
That too. It's almost like an attempt at a back-handed compliment. "Ah, women are too practical and smart and stuff to do the idealistic, foolish dreamy work we do!" e_e

Ratrat

Japan is sexist, news at 11. Still, this is pretty sad to hear from my favourite animation studio.
He no longer works at Ghibli and they've already stated that this is his own personal opinion.

But of course suddenly people are going to start shitting on Marnie.

jayu26

What Nishimura is saying is that a woman should be doing his job. I mean, you do need to be a realist and manage day to day jobs well to be a good producer.

tkscz

Will Ghibli ever employ a female director? Nishimura fields this question. “It depends on what kind of a film it would be. Unlike live action, with animation we have to simplify the real world. Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don’t think it’s a coincidence men are picked.”

So what you're saying is women have no imagination and men can't think realistically? Ok, got it. Let me sit here in my imaginary world while by roommate sees things with no life what-so-ever.

Peru

Yeah like 90% of their adaptations are based on female authors' works. I believe and hope Miyazaki wouldn't have said this.

The guy just posted an apology for his ridiculous remarks.

I apologize for comments made in an article published on June 6 in the British newspaper The Guardian. The article was based on an interview conducted in Britain on September 28, 2015. I actually made those statements at the time. First, I left Ghibli at the end of 2014, and I am no longer a Ghibli employee. I deeply apologize for causing the mistaken impression that my opinions represent Ghibli's and displeasing all who love Ghibli. Next, I definitely had the sexist belief that men had a strong tendency to be idealistic and that women were better at living reality. I am reflecting and learning. Gender has nothing to do with making movies. My deepest apologies.

He actually isn't even a producer at Ghibli anymore. These comments were made after he had left the company.

Source

Jex

Plenty, and more all the time. Some notable ones:

Naoko Yamada (K-ON, Tamako Market, Sound Euphonium, A Silent Voice)
Noriko Takao (Saint Young Men, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls)
Hiromi Taniguchi (Kurage no Shokudou)
Hiroko Utsumi (Free)
Kotomi Deai (Silver Spoon, Rolling Girls, Natsume's Book of Friends S5)
Mitsue Yamazaki (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Hakkenden)
Shouko Nakamura (Doukyusei)
Atsuko Ishizuka (Prince of Stride Alternative, Hanayamata)
Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko and Hatchin, Yuri on Ice)
No love for Rie Matsumoto?

For shame!

NimbusD

The reason there are less women directors is because there are all men in the roles that pick directors, like this guy.

Not that they're against women, or even like this guy who clearly thinks of women as a different skill tree as if they're a game character class. But producers will pick people they know, males will often associate with more males, straight people, straight, etc.

That's a huge reason to get women and minorities into these positions. I see it all the time on smaller shoots. A recent short I helped out on had a gay female producer, sure enough there were a lot of gay females on the crew which I never saw before but it was awesome to see. Now some are in my regular rotation of crew that I call for. And they each bring something unique to the table, but no it's not based on their gender or sexual orientation, but their own personalities and work ethic.

EDIT: great to see an apology. This is how this shit should happen. Person does a dumb thing, gets called out, they learn and apologize, people move on, having grown and furthered the conversation on a cultural level. It's about the conversation.

duckroll

He actually isn't even a producer at Ghibli anymore. These comments were made after he had left the company.

Source

Fantastic response. I don't think the important thing is the apology but the recognition that he said something which is clearly silly. Being able to admit that and realize it shows a good quality in the person. More people being willing to reflect on their own mindsets and see how they can affect other people and be perceived by others would be a great thing for society.

dity

Source

This is good. I was half expecting him to be stubborn about it if he followed up, but this is pleasantly surprising.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Source
This is nice. Great apology by him and it's good to see someone actually reflecting instead of doubling down.

EDIT: great to see an apology. This is how this shit should happen. Person does a dumb thing, gets called out, they learn and apologize, people move on, having grown and furthered the conversation on a cultural level. It's about the conversation.
Yep.

Id love another yonebayashi film. Arriety was great but man Marnie really hit it out the park. Its definately one of my top top ghibli films.

By the way. I hear that Ghibli has released another film called red turtle, which is a joint project with a french animation studio. Looks like it was already released in France in June. Did anybody see this?

edit: kind of a silly thread to continue as it was not really about ghibli but about a former employee and his dumb statement. sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom