• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
What bums me out is someone like Brie Larson playing Captain Marvel when she could be doing real work like Room and Short Term 12.

Larson will be able to work as much as she wants. Look at Mark Ruffalo and Scarlet Johansson, they show up in a ton of other movies. Hemsworth, Pratt, and Renner all work fairly consistently in other movies as well. I think Evans and RDJ simply aren't interested in working too many other gigs.

For the kind of Superman that Snyder is going for? I think Vision is definitely the better realized version of that kind of "alienated god" characterization.

Can't really top Doc M for that archetype. Superman is being portrayed as more human than both of them, despite having some shades of that sort of thing.

Staf

No, but Captain America is everything I wanted the big blue boyscout to be.

A wise but fallible leader, standing for truth, justice, and the American way, who is charming and down to earth yet rises to heroism when the need is great, who doesn't hide his powers in fear of prejudice but openly does everything in his power to save lives, even before his powers arrive. A people's champion, who from the start would give his life for others. Selfless. The hero OTHER heroes aspire to be.

That should have been Superman.

Couldn't have typed it better.

Now that I think about it, after two films I can't think of a single bit of inspiring or memorable dialogue uttered out of Superman's mouth. Yeah, Superman as reluctant and introspective is new for films, but that's not necessarily interesting. Nearly all of Cavill's script has to read like this:

Superman: *grimaces*
Superman: *broods*
Superman: *yells*
Superman: *furrows eyebrows*

Nicktendo86

Well, this is a disappointment then. Saw the extended cut of Batman v Superman for the first time the other day as well, first time I've seen the film in any format. What a fucking shambles.

Larson will be able to work as much as she wants. Look at Mark Ruffalo and Scarlet Johansson, they show up in a ton of other movies. Hemsworth, Pratt, and Renner all work fairly consistently in other movies as well. I think Evans and RDJ simply aren't interested in working too many other gigs.

Yeah

Evans went Cap2->AoU->Cap3 and he still did a bunch of movies before and after.

RDJ did The Judge and has other projects lined up. They all have plenty of time to do other stuff.

Something like Room barely takes a month to film so more than enough time for Larson to get het indie stuff done.

Blader

Can't really top Doc M for that archetype. Superman is being portrayed as more human than both of them, despite having some shades of that sort of thing.

I think I like movie Vision more than movie Manhattan, but I do think Billy Crudup's performance in that movie is really underrated when you consider how much more praise is showered on Rorshach and Comedian's portrayals.

RDJ is really just interested in doing Marvel, his own production company's projects and maybe Sherlock Holmes. Guy has had a years-long taste of fame and fortune and doesn't want to go back to anything less. And after the road he took to get there, can't say I blame him.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Superman when it comes down to it is really just a good guy doing the best he can with what he has. He's the living antithesis to Batman's cynicism. That could've made an interesting clash of personalities but no..here's more constipated face Superman.

guek

Banned
I think I like movie Vision more than movie Manhattan, but I do think Billy Crudup's performance in that movie is really underrated when you consider how much more praise is showered on Rorshach and Comedian's portrayals.

It's that voice of his.

I wouldn't assume that at all. I find the extended cut to be essentially still a mediocre movie punctuated with a few good moments. Many others do too. It certainly didn't fix the core issues and in no way is the extended BvS cut improving things like say Kingdom of Heaven cut.

I get people can enjoy it but the moment you apply general film criteria to it (character development, internal logic consistency, thematic purpose and consistency, etc) it falls apart. Sure it has some decent action here and there and the actors try hard (and on occasion succeed particularly Afleck and Irons) but as a film overall it's mediocre at best hence the general critical view.
Well, that's sort of what I was trying to say about my opinion. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, nor is it the best, but it was a good popcorn flick. For all of the talk, and given that it is Zack Snyder, I was expecting it to be Owls of Ga'Hoole bad.

In response to the bolded, I can see that, too. Is this why comedies normally get critically panned? Is this the kind of criteria that is applied?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Suicide Squad cast react to atrocious reviews and 'objectification of Harley Quinn' at London premiere.
"The critics can kiss my ass."​​

At the European premiere in London's Leicester Square, Jay Hernandez, who play's pyromaniac El Diablo, had the most to say about the critical backlash, as well as claims Harley Quinn is 'objectified' in the film.

Speaking to Digital Spy, he said: "Yeah I am bothered about it, I think it sucks, obviously we worked hard and tried to give the fans what they wanted. It's weird that some of the criticism I heard was that it was 'too much like a comic book', in terms of you have these characters being objectified like Harley Quinn, there are just certain elements that are just part of being a comic book."

He continued: "If you're trying to portray that on a film, you have to stay true to that, because if you don't, the fans of the comics are going to be offended."

The Suicide Squad's leader Rick Flag, played by House of Cards' Joel Kinnaman, felt the film was really for the fans.

He said: "You know, of course you want critical acclaim, of course, but what matters is what the fans think. We're really proud of this film, we loved making it, everybody on the film has become really close friends and this is like a work of love and I hope the fans like it."

Meanwhile, Karen Fukuhara, who plays ninja assassin Katana, managed to stay very on-message and explained that the team "honestly made it for the hardcore DC fans".

Tabarin

Banned
I dont think the movie deserves the ratings its getting.

I would say its a solid 6/10 even with all the mess in the edition and musics...

But Maaaang, that leto joker was pure garbage =/

guek

Banned
Well, that's sort of what I was trying to say about my opinion. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, nor is it the best, but it was a good popcorn flick. For all of the talk, and given that it is Zack Snyder, I was expecting it to be Owls of Ga'Hoole bad.

In response to the bolded, I can see that, too. Is this why comedies normally get critically panned? Is this the kind of criteria that is applied?

The theatrical is spectacularly bad.

george_us

BvS was an active chore to sit through, I'm content with watching its most interesting moments on YouTube. Speaking to which, 'Mankind is Introduced to the Superman' was one of the most visceral moments I've sat through in a movie theater.
One of the few truly great moments in BvS. Getting the ground view of the Black Zero crashing into the World Engine was incredible. The 'Gods Among Us' montage was also pretty great.

Poor SS. I'm still waiting for the day I can actuall give my hats off to a DCEU movie. I don't see it with Wonder Women and I'm definitely not seeing it in Justice League. Welp

I think there is some sentiment that Marvel's luck has to run out at some point.

Well, sure. Nothing lasts forever.

(And I don't expect or want it, but it sure would be interesting if Doctor Strange were that film, given that it's the first Marvel Studios production without any creative involvement from the Perlmutter side of the company.)

Poor SS. I'm still waiting for the day I can actuall give my hats off to a DCEU movie. I don't see it with Wonder Women and I'm definitely not seeing it in Justice League. Welp

JL is your best bet considering it has had the most time to course correct after the reaction to BvS. WW could also be very good. I'm not expecting anything anymore though.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I want WW to be good, then again: the thought of Snyder (after all the shit he got) turning it around with Justice League fuels my erection.

Blader

Well, sure. Nothing lasts forever.

(And I don't expect or want it, but it sure would be interesting if Doctor Strange were that film, given that it's the first Marvel Studios production without any creative involvement from the Perlmutter side of the company.)

In a cruel twist of fate, it was Perlmutter all along who was keeping Marvel's shit together.

JL is your best bet considering it has had the most time to course correct after the reaction to BvS. WW could also be very good. I'm not expecting anything anymore though.

I think it'll be a Flash. A relatable, likeable lead character, with Geoff Johns and the new guard in on the ground floor, helmed by promising director and a story put together by Lord and Miller. They might be course correcting with JL, but I can see that leading to the same tonal inconsistencies that SS seems to have. Flash sounds like it'll be their Spider-Man and that that's been the intention right from the start.

EGM1966

Yeah I get that. It's not like horrible start to finish! As for bolded to an extent. Certain genres will tend more to ignore such things if they don't think it matters for their intended audience. So you'll get lapses in dumb comedies and so on and critics jump on that.

I do try and give some leeway particularly if the film is clearly not trying to say much. My issue with BvS is behind the popcorn flick it clearly is trying to do so but failing. I'd probably prefer Snyder didn't overreach himself trying to be deep and meaningful and just try and delver a full on popcorn flick. I think the result would have been better.

Suicide Squad clearly has same issues. DC is either going to have to support right talent if they want to go that route or drop it and go for mindless fun. Right now they're stuck in the middle doing neither well.

That's very true. I think this would be the best time to really reconsider whatever that movie currently looks like because the trailer just did not do any justice for me. I'm not in love with the new Flash, Cyborg looks really cheaply made and Aquaman has just killed my whole hype for this movie. I really really hope they start doing some reshoots or something. I would like one of my favorite cartoon shows at least be well done in a live action movie 😢

I'm really starting to think, is it hard to capture the world of DC in a live action movies? Is the universe that complex that they really have to tone it down for these movies?

zoukka

I'm really starting to think, is it hard to capture the world of DC in a live action movies? Is the universe that complex that they really have to tone it down for these movies?

No it's not hard at all if you hire talented directors and writers and give them enough freedom.

I think it'll be a Flash. A relatable, likeable lead character, with Geoff Johns and the new guard in on the ground floor, helmed by promising director and a story put together by Lord and Miller. They might be course correcting with JL, but I can see that leading to the same tonal inconsistencies that SS seems to have. Flash sounds like it'll be their Spider-Man and that that's been the intention right from the start.

I just pray that they don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I can just imagine a room full of suits completely misreading the situation and trying to force everything into their own simplified understanding of "the mahvel formula".

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
If you're planning on watching this movie, you have to ask yourself a simple question:

Do I like the movie?

Then go watch the movie to answer that question for yourself. Do you want a movie that 80% or 90% of people like, or do you want a movie you yourself will like?

\_(ツ)_/¯

Ridley327

Evans is mostly a matter of being open enough to be able to get another directing gig, since that's where he wants to be as a filmmaker. There are some projects that RDJ has been trying to get off the ground, including a Pinocchio adaptation, but he's certainly not strapped for cash these days.

jmood88

Whoa, hold up. Hemsworth was brilliant in Rush. Not his fault most of his directors don't ask him to do anything other than charm.
Rush was amazing. I don't give a damn about formula 1 or race cars in general but that movie made me want to watch anything related to racing that I could find.

If you're planning on watching this movie, you have to ask yourself a simple question:

Do I like the movie?

Then go watch the movie to answer that question for yourself. Do you want a movie that 80% or 90% of people like, or do you want a movie you yourself will like?

\_(ツ)_/¯

The hipster, contrarian mentality fans adapt sometimes is amazing.

Man of Tomatoes
Man of Rotten Tomatoes. Aka MORT

hanukkah-mort.png

Do I like the movie?

\_(ツ)_/¯

How can you like a movie you haven't seen?

You can be excited about it, or be intrigued by the trailers, or be a fan of the talent or the IP, but you can't actually say "this is a good film" before you've sat in the chair and the 120 min runtime.

jmood88

Average rating down to 4.8.

Lower than Batman v Superman's.

Did ANYONE see this coming? lol.
I sure as hell didn't. Just like with BvS, even though it looked pretty uninteresting from the trailers, I never thought that it would get killed by critics like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom