• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Its funny hearing people saying how JL will "Easily" make $1 billion when 5 months ago BvS was supposed to coast through a $1 billion gross like it was no problem. And unlie BvS, Justice League will be coming after 2, possibly 3 critically derided films in the same series.

Don't fear, brother. Once Rotten Tomatoes is shut down, those pesky critics won't be able stop people from going to see those movies.

Was hoping to see it this weekend. Now I may save my money since it seems to be panned.

Feel the same, I've given DC movies the benefit of the doubt way too many times.

I found both MoS and BvS to be utterly garbage movies when I went opening weekend.
As in, I have zero love for them and how the former bored me to tears and the latter was an incoherent dumb mess and disrespected Batman.

I'm listening to the critics this time I think as I've agreed with their panning of DC movies.
Will save my cash and take the gf out to lunch or something.

Staf

Man, haven't seen a positive review of it in swedish media so far. Read reviews from 7-8 different outlets.

ZoddGutts

They'd replace Richards with Tony. Richards would be redundant. The MCU can't have a smarter man than Stark.
Besides, the F4 are trash.

Richards can be great as a villain if they go for the Ultimate version of him.

MCU needs villains desperately, Ultimate Richards/The Maker would fit the role. Have him be a once hero that goes rouge because he believes what he's doing is right, the ends justifies the means type of deal.

Slayven

They'd replace Richards with Tony. Richards would be redundant. The MCU can't have a smarter man than Stark.
Besides, the F4 are trash.
Nah, Doom and Reed are like night and day. Can't really do one without the other.
I think the most disturbing thing is letting marketing actually edit a movie.

fuck.that.

They let a the outsourced trailer company help edit the movie? Is that a common thing?

Honestly, aside from Age of Ultron it feels like they are actually just hitting their stride. Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Civil War are all massive steps up from their Phase 1 stuff.

I'm sure they'll stumble at some point but it feels like it will be Infinity War or after
Yeah but even AOU was an enjoyable movie and that's really the thing here. BVS was dour, miserable and so when it had bad moments they stuck out but even though AOU wasn't the best movie it was still fun.

I actually kind of thing Phase 3 will be the best. Shane Black, Whedon and Taylor did the Phase 2 films that people don't think are to the 'Marvel standard'. Marvel Studios then split into its own entity and the casts for the upcoming movies (Ragnarok, GOTG2, Spider-Man, Black Panther) are really fucking good and I'm sure the non-returning directors will do some great work, Dr. Strange has already surprised us all in that regard.

Also, I think this idea that Marvel has 'luck' is really peculiar. Their films are well received because critics like them and audiences love them and not because they just mashed shit together randomly and audiences did an eenie-meenie-miney-mo at the box office. I mean, Marvel may make a shit film eventually but I can't see that damaging their brand as opposed to that specific character who can them be redeemed in a future team-up like Hulk was (Avengers made him so many people's favourite - and Hawkeye shared a similar experience in AOU).

Just saw Suicide Squad tonight.

Enjoyed it.
Found Leto's Joker pretty compelling a few times.

Joker tattoos are still stupid.

BLACKLAC

Yeah but even AOU was an enjoyable movie and that's really the thing here. BVS was dour, miserable and so when it had bad moments they stuck out but even though AOU wasn't the best movie it was still fun.

I actually kind of thing Phase 3 will be the best. Shane Black, Whedon and Taylor did the Phase 2 films that people don't think are to the 'Marvel standard'. Marvel Studios then split into its own entity and the casts for the upcoming movies (Ragnarok, GOTG2, Spider-Man, Black Panther) are really fucking good and I'm sure the non-returning directors will do some great work, Dr. Strange has already surprised us all in that regard.

Also, I think this idea that Marvel has 'luck' is really peculiar. Their films are well received because critics like them and audiences love them and not because they just mashed shit together randomly and audiences did an eenie-meenie-miney-mo at the box office. I mean, Marvel may make a shit film eventually but I can't see that damaging their brand as opposed to that specific character who can them be redeemed in a future team-up like Hulk was (Avengers made him so many people's favourite - and Hawkeye shared a similar experience in AOU).

Bingo.

From the very beginning Marvel (Feige) put a lot of care into the writing of their films (Universe), even setting up a Marvel Studios screenwriting program to farm talent and ideas (The writers for Black Panther and GoTG came from this). Feige knows damn well a film lives or dies with the script and writing of the characters.

This thread actually spawned a Marvel critique thread..nothing crazy about that..

media-gif-4.gif

Any link to that thread? I can't seem to find it

UberTag

Ehh, at this point i have come to expect DC movies to score low, i enjoyed MoS and BvS a lot more than i have enjoyed most of the Marvel movies. Guardians of the galaxy is the only Marvel movie to this point that i truly liked.
There are a lot of atrocious Marvel movies that get a free pass from the critics despite horrendous flaws.
Captain America: Civil War was literally gifted favorable reviews on the legacy of past Avengers/CA flicks and a solid Spidey re-intro.

There are a lot of atrocious Marvel movies that get a free pass from the critics despite horrendous flaws.
Captain America: Civil War was literally gifted favorable reviews on the legacy of past Avengers/CA flicks and a solid Spidey re-intro.

I hope Marvel keeps making movies like Civil War and reviewers keep gifting them favorable reviews.

And I hope I keep getting a check in the mail to continue to pretend to enjoy them.

You talk about atrocious but mention Cw? Cw won't work without the "legacy" of past flicks, who will care about these people fighting if they have not been attached to them over those movies? The motivation of the characters are well elaborated on CW itself but if you watched the others movies you can actually see how the characters evolved and the events that lead them to reacts in CW. Not to mention the excellent introduction of BP unlike how BVS introduce Ww. Spidey is just icing on the cake.

Eidan

I'm finding this inability to simply acknowledge that the MCU often gets stronger reviews because the movies are good to be really strange.

I mean seriously, a bunch of grown ass men pouting about mean ol' critics entering a cabal to sink poor ol' DC while elevating the equally mediocre, dare I say, inferior MCU films for reasons X, Y, or Z. It's pitiful.

BLACKLAC

I'm finding this inability to simply acknowledge that the MCU often gets stronger reviews because the movies are good to be really strange.

I mean seriously, a bunch of grown ass men pouting about mean ol' critics entering a cabal to sink poor ol' DC while elevating the equally mediocre, dare I say, inferior MCU films for reasons X, Y, or Z. It's pitiful.

Means Marvel is doing good work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7z_ztMxBgk

It's amazing really. And given how much this thread ended up retreading the BvS one in that regard, I can't wait to see all these similar posts when Wonder Woman reviews drops.

guek

Banned

Y5GVgQZCluUWQ.gif

Yes, that's literally what happened. Yup. You figured it out.

SMG

BvS hit 800 million with just 2 headlining characters. JL has like a million. It'll do much better. Its simple multiplication.

Yeah, the mainstream cinema goer has really been given a reason to care about heros like Fastboy, Water-Man Played By The Guy From Game of Thones... You Know the One, and Metal Eye Man.

tomtom94

Yeah, the mainstream cinema goer has really been given a reason to care about heros like Fastboy, Water-Man Played By The Guy From Game of Thones... You Know the One, and Metal Eye Man.

As Moviebob pointed out in his Really That Good video, one of the greatest strengths of Avengers as a movie is the fact that it basically goes meta and makes the assembly of the Avengers integral to the plot, so the audience wants the movie to succeed even if they don't know anything about the characters.

...I don't see Justice League pulling that off.

I mean, Marvel may make a shit film eventually .

Can't agree with posts like this at all.

I found age of ultron very unenjoyable to watch. Certainly moreso than BvS was for me. I can't bring myself to watch age of ultron again. I even tried giving it another stab before civil war came out.....god damn was that tough. Just ended up skipping to the party scene. I find it a far less interesting movie than BvS personally.

And marvel has already made a few bad films. Its just that we won't agree on what they are around here no doubt.

Critically the only marvel movies that have gotten pretty bad response tho was iron man 2 and the thors. Meanwhile with DC it's 3 movies in a row.

Eidan

I can't fathom how someone can feel AoU is unwatchable, but be able to tolerate BvS. Any kind of problem AoU has, BvS offers tenfold. Unless you just REALLY enjoy its dour take on heroism. In that case shine (smudge?) on.

As Moviebob pointed out in his Really That Good video, one of the greatest strengths of Avengers as a movie is the fact that it basically goes meta and makes the assembly of the Avengers integral to the plot, so the audience wants the movie to succeed even if they don't know anything about the characters.

...I don't see Justice League pulling that off.

Thats the basic set up of tons of team movies lmao.

"we gotta get together or else we fail". You're making it sound so unique to the avengers. It's a very basic plot element that is also being apparently used for justice league too.

guek

Banned
I can't fathom how someone can feel AoU is unwatchable, but be able to tolerate BvS. Any kind of problem AoU has, BvS offers tenfold. Unless you just REALLY enjoy its dour take heroism. In that case shine (smudge?) on.

Whedon's writing really gets on Discotheque's nerves so I wouldn't take it too seriously. He's always hated Whedon with a passion.

Whedon's writing really gets on Discotheque's nerves so I wouldn't take it too seriously. He's always hated Whedon with a passion.

I also came away pretty impressed with the approach to superman in that world honestly. I loved that news montage and stuff like the metropolis opening.

I didn't think snyder had any of that in him.

I can watch AoU multiple times as it's a fun movie to chill out to. Never understood the hate it gets. BvS on the other hand I have enough after watching it twice. It's a chore.

duckroll

I don't think AoU is unwatchable. But I'll much rather rewatch BvS than it. I find BvS very flawed but interesting. AoU was really middling and offers nothing I cannot get from watching a superior MCU film like Civil War instead.

I can't fathom how someone can feel AoU is unwatchable, but be able to tolerate BvS. Any kind of problem AoU has, BvS offers tenfold. Unless you just REALLY enjoy its dour take heroism. In that case shine (smudge?) on.

AoU and BvS don't really have similar problems at all.

I consider AoU to be a so so movie, like it's not bad it's just going through the motions. I consider BvS to be a more ambitious film that fucked up in several major ways. Having seen both multiple times I would say that AoU is better, but BvS is more interesting. AoU is a steady line, BvS is a sine wave, oscilating between moments of excellence and moments of "what the fuck were they thinking?"

I don't think AoU is unwatchable. But I'll much rather rewatch BvS than it. I find BvS very flawed but interesting. AoU was really middling and offers nothing I cannot get from watching a superior MCU film like Civil War instead.

Absolutely. But you must be crazy to prefer BvS over a marvel movie. Many people here find that a certifiably insane idea.

Tbh, I like AoU way more then BvS (the latter is utter shit) but I'd rewatch BvS over it any day.

Watching BvS makes me day dream a life where I could edit movies in a program and put out a fan edit which would make it a tolerable movie. And that day dream is much more fun to try and imagine then watching either AoU or BvS (but mainly the latter).

Eidan

I guess people will always be a bit more interested in a high profile disaster than a tepid success. BvS is Rubber Necking: The Movie.

It's amazing really. And given how much this thread ended up retreading the BvS one in that regard, I can't wait to see all these similar posts when Wonder Woman reviews drops.

Gal Gadot to me seems to have the acting range of a wooden spoon from BvS.
I think people might need to check their expectations if that's the kind of performance she'll serve up in WW.

guek

Banned
AoU and BvS don't really have similar problems at all.

I consider AoU to be a so so movie, like it's not bad it's just going through the motions. I consider BvS to be a more ambitious film that fucked up in several major ways. Having seen both multiple times I would say that AoU is better, but BvS is more interesting. AoU is a steady line, BvS is a sine wave, oscilating between moments of excellence and moments of "what the fuck were they thinking?"

I agree with this, though I find AoU a notch or two above just so-so. Biggest thing that keeps me from rewatching BvS though is I just find so much of it boring. I sat through it twice already, once theatrical and once for the ultimate cut. I can't imagine taking another 3hrs out of my day to be disappointed all over again.

BLACKLAC

BvS has far too many dumb moments and lapses in basic character logic to enjoy re-watching it. It's a dumb "turn your brain off" popcorn flick desperate to be taken seriously. Slow as fuck without the writing to back it, wasting my damn time (don't do that).

Give me those character moments in AoU, every time. The Hawkeye farm house scene is better than anything in BvS. Better action too.

Rlan

Came back from it.

There were certainly issues - takes a while to get going at the start and some kind of flubbed acting and lines, but I enjoyed it. Million times better than BvS at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom