• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
There were some good moments in that though.

The montage of Decepticons killing goverenment dudes, John Malkovich committing career sepuku on screen, and the effects are really good.

That chase scene in the middle is fun too.

And Shia LaBeouf.

Cast him in a DC movie, GAF.
635527618270950008-shia-002.jpg

I liked Dark Of The Moon a lot especially compared to the 2nd one

Went back to Shia + Car

Really fucking awesome action sequences

Chicago getting R E K T

Prime then just murdering everyone

okay i did not expect the reviews to be that good but it's even lower than i thought it would be .
Will still watch but man DC can't catch a break .

Rooster12

DC and Marvel have decades and decades of stories that are essentially completely written and story boarded. They could cherry pick the most well regarded ones and just film them exactly as they are and people would probably love them. Everybody loves Mask of the Phantasm. Just make a live action version with Ben Affleck and it's a slam dunk.

Yeah, they have about 20 years worth of Suicide Squad stories to pick from.....that was all they had to do....hell, even adapt a New 52 Suicide Squad story and it would still be heads and shoulders above this movie.

I liked Dark Of The Moon a lot especially compared to the 2nd one

Went back to Shia + Car

Really fucking awesome action sequences

Chicago getting R E K T

Prime then just murdering everyone

For Real. Much like how the DCEU works if you see it as an origin story for Ultraman and Injustice, I feel that the Bayverse works if you see it as an origin story for Nemesis Prime.

For Real. Much like how the DCEU works if you see it as an origin story for Ultraman and Injustice, I feel that the Bayverse works if you see it as an origin story for Nemesis Prime.

I will never, ever, ever stop laughing at the scene where he just fucking blasts Fraser while he's threatening Marky Mark

Just nukes the fucker without a second thought, and this was the dude who was all PROTECT ALL HUMANS NO MATTER THE COST

The hilarious thing about all of these super hero movies that fall flat on their face is that they are based on comics.

DC and Marvel have decades and decades of stories that are essentially completely written and story boarded. They could cherry pick the most well regarded ones and just film them exactly as they are and people would probably love them. Everybody loves Mask of the Phantasm. Just make a live action version with Ben Affleck and it's a slam dunk.

It's like they are standing in a warehouse full of wheels trying to invent a damn wheel.

The Killing Joke should have been a slam dunk. One to one adaptation are not always a sure hit.

Garlador

Kinda is Superman, except he had two douchebag fathers who emotionally abused him and instilled a God complex/fear into him that left him broken.

And he still does heroic things.
"He still does heroic things" I feel is something that shouldn't have to be said...

I mean, every superhero is EXPECTED to do heroic things. The fact we have to say "well, he STILL does heroic things" on and off, at times, when he feels like it, between the scowly brooding, terrible parental talks, and awkward bathtub romps... it's not exactly a sterling commendation for his heroic capabilities.

Even Deadpool has heroic moments...

The hilarious thing about all of these super hero movies that fall flat on their face is that they are based on comics.

It's like they are standing in a warehouse full of wheels trying to invent a damn wheel.
And yet BvS failed trying to adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman, and couldn't do them even a fraction of the justice they deserved. Snyder even directly lifted some scenes straight from the page... only he failed to capture the emotion behind it. Just the style.

Harmen

Since we like comparisons, metacritic is at 42/100, with BvS at 44/100.

On a sidenote, I hope this won't harm Ayer's prospect of landing a next project, as I really liked Fury and absolutely love End of Watch.

And Shia LaBeouf.

Cast him in a DC movie, GAF.
635527618270950008-shia-002.jpg

Batman Beyond. Let it be a pass the torch film (like Indy 4!), with Afleck as a father figure. Produced by Bay, script by Snyder, directed by Emmerich. That should pass the current WB-executive board just fine.

DeathyBoy

Banned

I will never, ever, ever stop laughing at the scene where he just fucking blasts Fraser while he's threatening Marky Mark

Just nukes the fucker without a second thought, and this was the dude who was all PROTECT ALL HUMANS NO MATTER THE COST

He's the same robot who executed Sentinel Nimoy then beat a robot dinosaur into submission and rode him into battle.

GOAT villain.

kurahador

Not to sound crazy, but Bay could of probably made a good Suicide Squad movie. Like for real he could.
It would have been brainless fun.

After seeing Pain & Gain and 13 Hours, yeah I agree with you. The action would be alot more chaotic and insane while still having the characters shit talking to each other like a villain would.

My least favourite part of SS' marketing is how often they have to tell us they're the bad guys

like at least five times every trailer goddamit

THIS FILM IS GOING TO BE AS EDGY AS IT CAN POSSIBLY BE WITHIN THE CONFINES OF A PG-13 RATING AND WHILE TRYING REALLY HARD TO NOT ACTUALLY OFFEND ANYONE. WHO'S READY TO BE MILDLY ENTERTAINED?!

PS pls see it opening weekend or Leto will send you one of his used douche bottles.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I feel that Harley Quinn is out of character in the last act for some reason. Especially in the bar scene.

SMG

And yet BvS failed trying to adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman, and couldn't do them even a fraction of the justice they deserved. Snyder even directly lifted some scenes straight from the page... only he failed to capture the emotion behind it. Just the style.

A big problem is that they were mashing two massive stories (actually more than that) into one movie.
They did the Death of Superman arc in the second movie of their continuation, and will resurrect him almost immediately.
Compare that to how well Marvel has built up some rocks and a glove and the gulf between the two is evident.

IconGrist

A big problem is that they were mashing two massive stories (actually more than that) into one movie.
They did the Death of Superman arc in the second movie of their continuation, and will resurrect him almost immediately.
Compare that to how well Marvel has built up some rocks and a glove and the gulf between the two is evident.

I think Marvel took too long actually. As of now, 13 movies in, is Thor (and only him) kinda sorta on to something bigger going on. I almost don't even care at this point because it's just been a whole lot of nothing for a long time. Plus his poor showing in GotG.

I think the core problem of the film was them giving Ayer waay too much of a budget. This should've gotten Deadpool's budget and they could've maybe made a better, more interesting film. Harley was written so badly you couldn't even see if Margot was doing a great job. She was definitely trying though and she clearly read up.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeesh, 29%.
Yikes, I actually thought it might stay slightly above Batman vs. Superman (which I felt was pretty abysmal, particularly with the editing and length). I already got a ticket for tomorrow and don't have high hopes -- I wasn't even really planning to see it a few months ago.

I think the core problem of the film was them giving Ayer waay too much of a budget. This should've gotten Deadpool's budget and they could've maybe made a better, more interesting film. Harley was written so badly you couldn't even see if Margot was doing a great job. She was definitely trying though and she clearly read up.

I need to see the movie but I don't understand how the budget was so high, based on what I've seen so far.

I guess Will Smith is expensive?

Valentus

I think Marvel took too long actually. As of now, 13 movies in, is Thor (and only him) kinda sorta on to something bigger going on. I almost don't even care at this point because it's just been a whole lot of nothing for a long time. Plus his poor showing in GotG.

If marvel movies didnt got the reception they got, the Thanos invasion would occur way sooner... like now lol. But they didnt need to rush things because Marvel right now have the grace of the critic and the public.

Hell, they could do a Thunderbolts movie and probably could do way way better in the critics than Suicide Squad.

Rooster12

Give me those character moments in AoU, every time. The Hawkeye farm house scene is better than anything in BvS. Better action too.

I mentally checked out during the farmhouse visit....it felt like something I would watch on Lifetime channel.

BvS and Ultron are on the same level to me.

vaderise

If marvel movies didnt got the reception they got, the Thanos invasion would occur way sooner... like now lol. But they didnt need to rush things because Marvel right now have the grace of the critic and the public.

Hell, they could do a Thunderbolts movie and probably could do way way better in the critics than Suicide Squad.
I tried to come up with a MCU Thunserbolts rooster but it's literally impossible since they killed of majority of the villains...
Yet if some of these people wasn't dead it would ace:
-Abomination
-Where's my Birdman
-Zemo
-I'm the Mandar-
-Yellowjacket

Man this movie would somehow work!

tomtom94

I tries to come up with a MCU Thunserbolts rooster but it's literally impossible since they killed of majority of the villains...
Yet if some of these people wasn't dead it would ace:
-Abomination
-Where's my Birdman
-Zemo
-I'm the Mandar-
-Yellowjacket

Man this movie would somehow work!
They have Ross and Zemo, they can introduce the rest of the "villains" in the movie if they need to.

I need to see the movie but I don't understand how the budget was so high, based on what I've seen so far.

I guess Will Smith is expensive?

Rushed production likely means alot of waste. And if the story about how drastically the movie changed from its original cut before reshoots is true, then that likely balloons the budget as they rush to finished effects, etc before release. After all, it was rushed because it HAD to meet the date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom