• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMG

Thats the basic set up of tons of team movies lmao.

"we gotta get together or else we fail". You're making it sound so unique to the avengers. It's a very basic plot element that is also being apparently used for justice league too.

You aren't really considering the point that years of solo massive budget films were made as the foundation.
It was a 'team movie' made of individuals who the audience was made to understand as important on their own.

tomtom94

AoU is a lot like Dark Knight Rises, it suffers from both trying to better the previous film creatively and the director being burnt out.

I still think it's a great film, though. It just doesn't have the same discipline in the second act that the first Avengers had.

I can't compare it to BvS as I haven't seen the latter yet.

Thats the basic set up of tons of team movies lmao.

"we gotta get together or else we fail". You're making it sound so unique to the avengers. It's a very basic plot element that is also being apparently used for justice league too.
I suggest you watch Moviebob's Really That Good on Avengers, it explains it far better than I do, but there's a meta-theatrical element to the first Avengers that you don't see in most team movies.

Eidan

AoU and BvS don't really have similar problems at all.

I consider AoU to be a so so movie, like it's not bad it's just going through the motions. I consider BvS to be a more ambitious film that fucked up in several major ways. Having seen both multiple times I would say that AoU is better, but BvS is more interesting. AoU is a steady line, BvS is a sine wave, oscilating between moments of excellence and moments of "what the fuck were they thinking?"
I don't necessarily think AoU and BvS share many problems, just that I don't see what problem you'd have with AoU that can't be found in an amplified form in BvS. I thought AoU was an enjoyable, if slightly underwhelming follow up to the original Avengers. BvS on the other hand was a shit show from beginning to end that I got no pleasure from. It was a boring mess filled with awful character beats, puzzling acting, and even action sequences that failed to land.

You aren't really considering the point that years of solo massive budget films were made as the foundation.
It was a 'team movie' made of individuals who the audience was made to understand as important on their own.

That point wasn't brought up in the post I quoted tho. Nor is that some big obstacle to overcome either. I think y'all overestimate that issue when it comes to the avengers and now justice league.

The real problem they had to figure out was who gets priority screen time since they all had their own movies before. And we all know who won that battle (and deservedly so)...the guy with the goatee and two working eyes

I guess people will always be a bit more interested in a high profile disaster than a tepid success. BvS is Rubber Necking: The Movie.

It's not like you have to be insane to enjoy parts of BvS, if you're entertained by the same dull cgi spectacle we get at the end of every major action movie these days, BvS has you covered. If you enjoy more grounded, intense fight scenes, BvS has the best one ever put into a superhero movie. Zimmer and Junkie XL continue to make excellent sound tracks. The film has no shortage of visually beautiful scenes. Jeremy Irons shocked me with how much I liked his Alfred, despite modest screen time. Batfleck killed it (in addition to killing several goons, of course).

The problems of the film are well documented, but with the 27% RT rating, 1 in 4 people looking past its problems and still finding it an enjoyable experience sounds about right from the people I've talked to.

Holy shit, I hadn't checked the RT rating in a bit. 31%?

I thought it was in the high 40's going off the title. Wow, wonder if it'll drop below BvS.

Eidan

It's not like you have to be insane to enjoy parts of BvS, if you're entertained by the same dull cgi spectacle we get at the end of every major action movie these days, BvS has you covered. If you enjoy more grounded, intense fight scenes, BvS has the best one ever put into a superhero movie. Zimmer and Junkie XL continue to make excellent sound tracks. The film has no shortage of visually beautiful scenes. Jeremy Irons shocked me with how much I liked his Alfred, despite modest screen time. Batfleck killed it (in addition to killing several goons, of course).

The problems of the film are well documented, but with the 27% RT rating, 1 in 4 people looking past its problems and still finding it an enjoyable experience sounds about right from the people I've talked to about the film.
Yes, there are some things I think BvS did well, obviously. I too thought the opening sequence in Metropolis was riveting. But I'll just rewatch that sequence on YouTube if I'm ever compelled to see it again, because the whole of the film is a muddled mess that, for all the talk about its action sequences, is surprisingly boring.

But seriously, I enjoy watching bad movies as well. I've sat through and enjoyed every shark movie Asylum has released on Netflix, with 3 Headed Shark Attack being my personal favorite. BvS is just a hard bad movie to enjoy.

IconGrist

Every time I check this thread it's jumped 10 pages. Did anyone who went in on Ayer for the "Fuck Marvel" comment post his apology and the Marvel CCO defending him?

The problems of the film are well documented, but with the 27% RT rating, 1 in 4 people looking past its problems and still finding it an enjoyable experience sounds about right from the people I've talked to.
I assume every reference to BvS is for the theatrical cut, right? I watched the Ultimate Edition over the weekend and found it fun and hardly aligning with some of the hate. I won't say BvS was a great film, but I also won't say BvS was dogshit. At least with the UE, I found much to like about the film. It's flawed, absolutely, but still entertaining.

EGM1966

I assume every reference to BvS is for the theatrical cut, right? I watched the Ultimate Edition over the weekend and found it fun and hardly aligning with some of the hate. I won't say BvS was a great film, but I also won't say BvS was dogshit. At least with the UE, I found much to like about the film. It's flawed, absolutely, but still entertaining.
I wouldn't assume that at all. I find the extended cut to be essentially still a mediocre movie punctuated with a few good moments. Many others do too. It certainly didn't fix the core issues and in no way is the extended BvS cut improving things like say Kingdom of Heaven cut.

I get people can enjoy it but the moment you apply general film criteria to it (character development, internal logic consistency, thematic purpose and consistency, etc) it falls apart. Sure it has some decent action here and there and the actors try hard (and on occasion succeed particularly Afleck and Irons) but as a film overall it's mediocre at best hence the general critical view.

"Polished turd is still turd."

Blader

The rampant hate around AoU always seemed odd to me, especially from people who loved the first Avengers, since I don't think it's that appreciably different. Not as good, mind you, but I still think it's pretty enjoyable and interesting, if unwieldy. More TDKR than Spider-Man 3 imo.

And against BvS, there's no comparison. :lol Better character beats, better action, and a better Superman in Vision than what Snyder has done over two movies.

I also came away pretty impressed with the approach to superman in that world honestly. I loved that news montage and stuff like the metropolis opening.

I didn't think snyder had any of that in him.

I don't think it's all that different from some of the stuff he did in Watchmen tbh. His take on Superman is pretty heavily rooted in Dr. Manhattan.

BvS has far too many dumb moments and lapses in basic character logic to enjoy re-watching it. It's a dumb "turn your brain off" popcorn flick desperate to be taken seriously. Slow as fuck without the writing to back it, wasting my damn time (don't do that).

Give me those character moments in AoU, every time. The Hawkeye farm house scene is better than anything in BvS. Better action too.

You can't even turn your brain off to enjoy it because it takes an hour for shit to really get started. It's a "leave the room and come back halfway through" popcorn flick, if anything.

Do you guys mean "I have my phone out browsing twitter and only raise my head when something good was on screen" watch or watch watch?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
BvS was an active chore to sit through, I'm content with watching its most interesting moments on YouTube. Speaking to which, 'Mankind is Introduced to the Superman' was one of the most visceral moments I've sat through in a movie theater.

Ross61

If you think Vision is a better Superman than Cavill or any closer to the comic than you've never picked up one a day in your life.

OléGunner;212431118 said:
Gal Gadot to me seems to have the acting range of a wooden spoon from BvS.
I think people might need to check their expectations if that's the kind of performance she'll serve up in WW.

Its sad cause I can already imagine the pure venom the critics are going to spit her way regarding her acting abilities. I just hope she has thick skin.

Staf

If you think Vision is a better Superman than Cavill or any closer to the comic than you've never picked up one a day in your life.

I agree. Cavil is a shit superman though, not his fault given the shitty direction/script he seems to be stuck with. Hopefully Tyler Hoechlin is better on CW.

jey_16

Banned
Just got out of SS, it was decent and I had a good time. No where near as bad as BvS which I hated. Can understand the complaints but it's not as bad as the reviews make it out to be, atleast for me. It definitely a bit disjointed and the middle third drags but the cast makes up for it.

The one big takeaway for me is that this really felt like a comic book film, like literally pages from a comic book which makes me intrigued for future future DC films. I really want to see the Joker and Harley in the solo Batman film now

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Sucks to see the ratings... were the trailers lying? They made the movie look pretty fun/cool!

Oersted

The rampant hate around AoU always seemed odd to me, especially from people who loved the first Avengers, since I don't think it's that appreciably different. Not as good, mind you, but I still think it's pretty enjoyable and interesting, if unwieldy. More TDKR than Spider-Man 3 imo.

There seems to be a tendency to turn at famous people.

Whedon was a "holy shit, so awesome!" addition to Marvel. Now he is dragging precious Marvel down and has to GTFO.

Lawrence had fanclubs here. Now she is treated like she kills puppies in her free time.

Nolan was a demi-god. Now Stuntmandoinggoofythings.gif and he is of course overrated.

Of course not all act this way, but the shift of tone is noticeable.

guek

Banned

imo, Vision comes closer to being a "God" than Superman does in these movies and is a better Jesus allegory in AoU to boot without the need for hamfisted religious imagery

buuuuut I know the DCEU fans of gaf loved what Snyder did with those ideas in both MoS and BvS, and the messiah/Godhood undertones in AoU is perhaps too subtle for some people to find appealing. I doubt my opinion is shared by the majority.

MCU Vision isn't really the traditional comicbook Superman character anyway (neither is Snyder's Superman tbh).

I don't think Gal Gadot is a bad actor. She is at least as good as Chris Hemsworth. I don't want either to get cast in movies that require actual acting, but she can certainly play Wonder Woman.

What bums me out is someone like Brie Larson playing Captain Marvel when she could be doing real work like Room and Short Term 12.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
that is the most confusing thread title i've ever read. rotten scores are based on % so you're saying its 15% better than the % scores they have or something?

Rottenscores are based on the Question if the movie is good or bad. If its good, its gets a +1 on the one side, of its shit, it gets a +1 on the other.

And then the percentage is calculated.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't think Gal Gadot is a bad actor. She is at least as good as Chris Hemsworth. I don't want either to get cast in movies that require actual acting, but she can certainly play Wonder Woman.

Whoa, hold up. Hemsworth was brilliant in Rush. Not his fault most of his directors don't ask him to do anything other than charm.

Garlador

No, but Captain America is everything I wanted the big blue boyscout to be.

A wise but fallible leader, standing for truth, justice, and the American way, who is charming and down to earth yet rises to heroism when the need is great, who doesn't hide his powers in fear of prejudice but openly does everything in his power to save lives, even before his powers arrive. A people's champion, who from the start would give his life for others. Selfless. The hero OTHER heroes aspire to be.

That should have been Superman.

I expect a Thor level performance from Wonder Woman except a little more commanding in her tone.

A wise but fallible leader, standing for truth, justice, and the American way, who is charming and down to earth yet rises to heroism when the need is great, who doesn't hide his powers in fear of prejudice but openly does everything in his power to save lives, even before his powers arrive. A people's champion, who from the start would give his life for others. Selfless. The hero OTHER heroes aspire to be.

When Superman is described like this, it's cheesy. When it's Captain America, FUCK YES!

Superman is running his course.

Yep, used to be a huge Superman fan, now after all these shitty movies (including Returns) don't care for him. Marvel got me now with Cap.

Rottenscores are based on the Question if the movie is good or bad. If its good, its gets a +1 on the one side, of its shit, it gets a +1 on the other.

And then the percentage is calculated.

No he means he's confused because RT is given in percentage points, while the title says one is 15% better than the other. Percentage vs Percentage Points is often unclear, I did a double take first time I saw the new title also, like "holy crap did it jump 10% overnight?"

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yep, used to be a huge Superman fan, now after all these shitty movies (including Returns) don't care for him. Marvel got me now with Cap.

Still say a Cap film where it's him tracking Bucky while BP also tracks Bucky could've been God tier. That fan service was fun but man, a more focused WS direct sequel would've been next level.

Blader

For the kind of Superman that Snyder is going for? I think Vision is definitely the better realized version of that kind of "alienated god" characterization.

What bums me out is someone like Brie Larson playing Captain Marvel when she could be doing real work like Room and Short Term 12.

real work doesn't pay near as much and isn't a guarantee for work of multiple years.

Almost forgot, cross quoting from the Double Toasted thread:

Okie, Suicide Squad scores:

Korey:
Straight up Bullshit
The ending pissed him right the fuck off.

Martin:
Rental

Korey G:
Some 'ol Bullshit
Better than BvS though

Mojo: Bark!

BatWill:
Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom