• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

8Zumhhul.png

Leto so insane xd

vareon

Is...is this going to end up reviewing worse than BvS? C'mon man. I already skipped that due to bad reviews and was expecting this to be a lot better based on the trailers. I think I'm still going to end up seeing it due to just not really seeing any movies this summer and needing to use a movie ticket deal that expires soon.

Don't skip movies because of bad reviews.

3N16MA

Banned
They could have gone with the Assault on Arkham type of film. Not necessarily adapt that story to live action but keep the Squad more confined.

Of course that is if WB wanted a smaller budget. It seems like they were willing to spend big.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Following tropey "superhero film" formula about "saving the world" doesn't work?

SHOCKED.

I know the masses are generally considered stupid, but we can appreciate good movies and originality even if it goes undiscovered so often. Without the marketing budget and the properties, this movie is basically worthless.

They could have gone with the Assault on Arkham type of film. Not necessarily adapt that story to live action but keep the Squad more confined.

Of course that is if WB wanted a smaller budget. It seems like they were willing to spend big.

A much better and more original idea than what this movie turned into.

They should try getting the people who make the trailers to make the actual movies.

Isn't that what happened here? Studio interferes. Makes trailer without consideration for director's vision. Trailer is well received but is misleading. Studio hires trailer makers to make alternate cut based on the tone of the trailer. Movie is released. Fuck.

WB started marketing this movie just on an 'idea'. There was zero vision... They are trying to make a franchise by just throwing money at a problem.

Just read an article on Newarama and a retailer said while the movie might not be getting good reviews, the merch for this movie is doing incredibly well which is unusual.

IconGrist

Ledger had very few lines and had his face hidden during the prologue to The Dark Knight that got screened in front of I Am Legend.

It was still more impactful and hype worthy than what Leto's done.

No, I think there's a difference here. No one believed Ledger could pull the Joker off. So when it looked like he could people got hyped. No one doubted Leto could do it. It was the direction Ayer had for Joker people took issue with and there's just not enough in SS to give a good picture.

Hyperbole aside, if and when Leto returns as the Joker, I'm very curious to see if it is a departure from his Suicide Squad appearance. Can't speak to it myself until I see it tonight or tomorrow night, but of what I hear he's landing in the middle of unimpressive, which is...unimpressive. He's a quality actor and it sounds as if there are misgivings over his direction to take the character. So, yes. If Affleck uses him in his Bat-solo, I wouldn't be shocked if he turns up with an un-damaged forehead, among other alterations.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I sure think it should have been based on Assault on Arkham too. Its a much better SS film with plenty of interaction among each other.

Betty

Banned
No, I think there's a difference here. No one believed Ledger could pull the Joker off. So when it looked like he could people got hyped. No one doubted Leto could do it. It was the direction Ayer had for Joker people took issue with and there's just not enough in SS to give a good picture.

So if he comes back for future films (i'm sure he has a contract) and if he sucks as the main villain then we can definitively call him meh.

Don't skip movies because of bad reviews.

I'll catch Suicide Squad when it gets to RedBox, but I don't really want to do any more than that to encourage DC's crappy cinematic universe. They really need to go watch Batman the Animated Series and think hard about what they've done.

Fury451

Banned
Just read an article on Newarama and a retailer said while the movie might not be getting good reviews, the merch for this movie is doing incredibly well which is unusual.

The merch/marketing is pretty cool. Doesn't seem to reflect the movie's content, but I see why it would be appealing.

Chichikov

Die Hard with Batman. Stuck in a tower and has to work his way up saving hostages, sneaking around and taking out baddies
Seriously, why can't we get movies like that?
Why does it always have to be saving the universe from revenge seeking villain and his mcguffin of doom?
Saving human lives is not enough stakes?
Fuck, I'm sure I'll care more for a likable developed character who is at risk than the sky exploding or whatever.

Oh wait, we did get a movie like that, it was Dredd, and it was awesome.

Gurrry

Why not? Not everyone can afford to see every single movie that interests them.

Because you should be a human being and think your own thoughts and form your own opinions on things instead of reading click bait articles.

Movie reviewers get far more clicks when they say a movie is bad than when they say its good.

Its the popular thing to do on the internet now. Shit all over every popular hyped up movie.

I'm convinced this is getting a lower RT score than BvS, BvS wasn't this low around this time, it wasn't until 200 reviews where BvS started to get dangerously close to 30% and the review thread was closed when it was around 280 reviews and it kept changing between 29 and 30%

BlizzKrut

Banned
Got my tickets for Saturday night. Still excited. Its just entertainment, not life and death.

Same here, I'm looking at reviews as "most critics don't like it", it isn't the end of the world, I know I'll probably love it but I'm very easy to please movie-wise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where you from?

France.

Why does it always have to be saving the universe from revenge seeking villain and his mcguffin of doom?
Fuck, I'm sure I'll care more for a likable developed character who is at risk than the sky exploding or whatever.

Because then it'll be a standard action movie and does aren't that popular these days.

I bought a few shirts, and my wife bought the Harley shirt and bomber jacket and some socks. Bought the Pops and preordered Hot Toys. I love the look of the characters. We have tickets for tonight at 8 and 12:30 PM tomorrow. We are bother super excited to see it.

Timu

It's still sad that Man of Steel is the best reviewed DCEU movie to date, I hope that changes next year, or 2018, or 2019, or 2020!!!

Indeed. I think the studio perspective is that people will be disappointed if they don't get their world saving climax, but I do believe audiences are becoming numb to that.

It's why Ant-Man having a final battle in a girls bedroom was so refreshing. I do hope some studio has the guts to go small scale with a big budget superhero flick someday, I don't care which studio, just SOMEONE.

kswiston

Indeed. I think the studio perspective is that people will be disappointed if they don't get their world saving climax, but I do believe audiences are becoming numb to that.

It's why Ant-Man having a final battle in a girls bedroom was so refreshing. I do hope some studio has the guts to go small scale with a big budget superhero flick someday, I don't care which studio, just SOMEONE.

Even Ant-Man was a fight to prevent possible world destroying tech from getting into the wrong hands.

One of these films should try to make the stakes something other than the fate of the free world.

Chichikov

Because you should be a human being and think your own thoughts and form your own opinions on things instead of reading click bait articles.

Movie reviewers get far more clicks when they say a movie is bad than when they say its good.

Its the popular thing to do on the internet now. Shit all over every popular hyped up movie.
Come on now.
Yes, there are hacks and trolls, but most movie critics (especially the ones who RT put under "top critics") are true lovers of cinema who write their honest opinions.

It's fine to disagree with the critical consensus (or majority opinion), there are quite a few critically panned movies that I really love, but I don't think it's because there is some conspiracy, it's just that have a bit of a weird taste in some places, and I don't mind it. The world would be boring as hell if everyone liked the same films.

I personally still find film reviews to be quite useful, I don't automatically reject or accept movies based on their RT score, but I think especially with critics I'm very familiar with, I can get a good idea about how likely I am to enjoy the film

If you find their taste so routinely different than yours so that they are completely useless to you, why are you in the RT thread again?
Even Ant-Man was a fight to prevent possible world destroying tech from getting into the wrong hands.

One of these films should try to make the stakes something other than the fate of the free world.
Yeah.
I'll make my point again - when were you more invested in the outcome?
The end of Die Hard or the end of Guardians of the Galaxy?

Metal B

I really would love for Batman simply investigating a mysterious, dark case in the vein of Seven (just with more action). Batman the Animated Series did this a lot and it was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom