• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I remember someone mentioning how a Die Hard inspired Batman film set in Arkham Asylum would be the shit.

I agree. It would be.

There are rumours that Batffleck will be set in Arkham Asylum, so....

Toxi

Banned
8Zumhhul.png
Jared Leto sounds like a fucking asshole.

I'd love an Arkham Asylum set Batman but I question if it'll happen for the whole film. Say, with Batman films there is an expectation of a vehicle action scene. Part of me believes that's why BvS forced the superfluous Batmobile scene in there.

Oersted

Seriously, why can't we get movies like that?
Why does it always have to be saving the universe from revenge seeking villain and his mcguffin of doom?
Saving human lives is not enough stakes?
Fuck, I'm sure I'll care more for a likable developed character who is at risk than the sky exploding or whatever.

Oh wait, we did get a movie like that, it was Dredd, and it was awesome.

Producers are convinced they have to constantly up the spectacle.

longdi

Banned
Heard that Joker only has a small part. So JL methodical acting was for such a small bit?
So he is try-hard and also too free/lack of bookings? :/

Does the Joker swag walk in the trailer make it to the final cut?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This doesn't make any sense. Why would critics have a bias for Marvel? What reasoning is there for that?

I keep seeing hurt DC fans postulate this theory, and they never offer any explanation for it beyond 'Marvel movies have a higher RT'.

Marvel movies aren't all critically acclaimed, and with Age of Ultron/Thor 2, this was proven true. With those two particular films, sure they didn't get 33%, but they were competently made, scripted, paced, and edited films, and little more than that. They were average blockbusters, like Ghostbusters. They're not bad enough to warrant a sub-50s rating, but they're not good enough to get above 60s/70s. They're passable to decent. 66% is not a good rating, it's 7% from being Rotten, lol.

Only with truly good MCU films like CW, TWS, or GOTG, do critics start giving it high ratings, because they're actually good films.

I'd argue that 66% is a like a C+ rating when it comes to super hero movies. Or like getting a 78% on Metacritic when it comes to video games.

Not great, but not bad at all by any measure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So what happens if this goes below BvS? Does this mean Wonder Woman would be low 20s or high 10s?

Nah. I can't see any of these films ever dipping into the 10s. They're competently shot films. So even if the script and acting is absolute garbage, you're going to find a percentage of people who find something worthwhile in them.

I want to believe in WW, but Gal Gadot still hasn't sold me on her acting, so I'm expecting it to be mediocre. I'd gladly take a hit though, WB could use one dearly considering the current state of DC Films.

dabig2

Even Ant-Man was a fight to prevent possible world destroying tech from getting into the wrong hands.

One of these films should try to make the stakes something other than the fate of the free world.

Eh, kinda but not really. At least, that's not what the climax centered on. It was just a dude protecting his daughter from a vindictive asshole. Even the heist didn't really center on a "we gotta grab the macguffin so the world can be saved and we get/deserve the ticker tape parade after the spectacle ends" angle. It was more low-key than that and personable and I think that's why it resonated with a lot of people. It was more Mission Impossible 1 as opposed to the world-shattering apocalyptic consequences of a MI:2, to make an analogy. Likewise, I think that's also why Civil War succeeded in a lot of people's minds with the bait-and-switch revelation.

Burt

26%

That actually seems plausible.

In seriousness, I'd imagine 40 something at worse but I think WW will actually be DCEU's saving grace.

Solely because it takes place too early for them to spend the entire movie going

WE HAVE AN EXTENDED UNIVERSE

HEY GUYS

LOOK

ISNT THIS AWESOME JUST KIDDING DONT HAVE TO ASK THIS IS AWESOME

icespide

Banned
Solely because it takes place too early for them to spend the entire movie going

HEY GUYS

LOOK

people keep complaining about this but I don't think thats really that bad a part of these movies. the movies are just bad in general

ItIsOkBro

HEY GUYS

LOOK

flash to time travel back in time to warn wonder woman confirmed

Darkangel

So does this have similar issues to BvS, or is it something completely different all together?

To me, BvS felt like an okay movie that wasn't quite arranged right in the editing room.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Heard that Joker only has a small part. So JL methodical acting was for such a small bit?
So he is try-hard and also too free/lack of bookings? :/

Does the Joker swag walk in the trailer make it to the final cut?

I will say 70% of his screen time in the movie can be found in those trailers.

Fury451

Banned
It's still sad that Man of Steel is the best reviewed DCEU movie to date, I hope that changes next year, or 2018, or 2019, or 2020!!!

I'm not in love with MOS, but I think they could've taken it into strong directions in the future, and could've really built Superman into the character he supposed to be.

Instead they seemed to double down on all of the weak parts of that movie, and I think that's defining their universe now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

HEY GUYS

LOOK

Jokes on you, Flash will do some flippy dippy timeshit cameo that sets off the events that led to BVS and Suicide Skwad.

HEY GUYS

LOOK

Doesn't WW have some present day stuff though? Knowing DC, we'll get 30 minutes of WW in the present looking at more videos of superheroes.

Burt

people keep complaining about this but I don't think thats really that bad a part of these movies. the movies are just bad in general

The movies are incredibly flawed in the first place, yeah, but shoehorning CU stuff into the plot and adding in commercials certainly doesn't help. And hell, "Thor goes to a magic pool for an Infinity War commercial in the 8th movie in the MCU" is one thing, but contorting the plot in starter movies around conspicuous brand placement (Wonder Woman as a means to hit metahuman teasers, Suicide Squad as a means to introduce 5 years worth of characters in one movie) is encroaching on insulting, and absolutely adversely affects the overall movies.

flash to time travel back in time to warn wonder woman confirmed

god fucking dammit

Edit: x2 more for the other two posts that quoted me

People criticize Marvel's "studio-first" attitude towards making their movies, and rightfully so to a degree, but it seems to prevent them from falling into a situation like this or BvS. Whether it be because of a director who isn't talented enough for the biggest movie (Snyder) or a mix of studio interference and rushed production (Ayer), DC/WB always seem to have a problem. Marvel is so non-dependent on the filmmaker that their movies are almost always at worst "fine" because the studio is driving everything and they make no bones about that. Of course, some would argue that this approach never produces true classics like say TDK, but it's proven to be a pretty infallible formula when it comes to making money and a decent movie with pretty much every hero they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom