• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Affleck looks like he's telling Leto how things will go down when he's calling the shots.

"No funny business."
HQpizJu.jpg
Leto: "So is it too late to join the cast of Lego Batman 2?
I don't think this cinematic universe is working out."

Rooster12

And yet BvS failed trying to adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and The Death of Superman, and couldn't do them even a fraction of the justice they deserved. Snyder even directly lifted some scenes straight from the page... only he failed to capture the emotion behind it. Just the style.

That's the thing, Snyder didn't adapt DKR or Death of Superman....I bet he never even read the comics aside from seeing a few cool panels (which he put on screen).

The guy is a hack and a mentally incompetent clown. And so is WB.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing, Snyder didn't adapt DKR or Death of Superman....I bet he never even read the comics aside from seeing a few cool panels (which he put on screen).

The guy is a hack and a mentally incompetent clown. And so is WB.

Ahh, we there again. Took long enough.

The theatrical is spectacularly bad.
Yeah, I never intend to press "Play" on that edition. It's probably best I not soil what I liked.
Suicide Squad clearly has same issues. DC is either going to have to support right talent if they want to go that route or drop it and go for mindless fun. Right now they're stuck in the middle doing neither well.
It breaks my heart to see my beloved DC characters being botched so hard. Now that Geoff Johns is tied to the film universe, I am very hopeful. I just hope we don't get the byproduct of an over-worked Johns.

Regardless, I have my ticket to Suicide Squad and I'll go into it as neutrally as I can.

Garlador

Almost forgot, cross quoting from the Double Toasted thread:
Okie, Suicide Squad scores:

Korey: Straight up Bullshit
The ending pissed him right the fuck off.

Martin: Rental

Korey G: Some 'ol Bullshit
Better than BvS though

Mojo: Bark!

BatWill: Rental
Korey's reaction is so cathartic and genuine. I shouldn't laugh at his disappointment, but he expresses it so... enthusiastically.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
At least people recognize the DC films are heavily faulted and sometimes outright bad. Marvel films continually get a pass despite lackluster, uninspired, poorly developed villains with lame motivations. Dull climaxes with no real emotional weight, risk, or challenge for the frequently bloated, undeveloped cast, complete with a predictable outcome. Two dimensional cast of heroes who go through the same motions and puddle deep internal conflicts quickly and easily resolved. And the same big budget explosion filled aliens/blue sky laser/floating ship shlock at the end. But don't forget to have 2 - 3 post credits scenes that only exist to market the next set of films.

Unless it's an "origin story" in which case the villain will be the same as the hero only a badguy version with all the same powers/suit and be motivated by money/power and probably wear a suit, and it'll go through all the story beats of every origin story because they're endlessly replicating Iron Man's success.

Super hero movies.

I couldn't disagree more with this. People to say that all Marvel movies are the same, when they aren't. The stories intertwine, but they aren't the same. Ant Man is a different movie than Cap America 2 Winter Solider. And those movies are different from GoTG.

The main similarity is that they all are structured well and don't have strong villains.

Average rating down to 4.8. Sounds like this thing is nothing but Harley Quinn, Will Smith, and a bunch of empty action sequences with little to no plot.

DCTV stays winning.

so the movie is getting average reviews, but what do they say about Leto/Joker? Is he good?

So far, I've seen people compare him to a slightly more eccentric 1930s gangster, but doesn't come anywhere close to matching the performances of Nicholson or Ledger.

"It's for the fans" is now my favorite excuse for everything. You can apply it to whatever you like.

Why are you late to work again?
It's for the fans.

Just admit that I caught you cheating!
It's for the fans.

Why are you voting for Trump?
It's for the fans.

...and so on.

3N16MA

Banned
My least favourite part of SS' marketing is how often they have to tell us they're the bad guys

like at least five times every trailer goddamit

I can't really knock the marketing. There might be a few minor bumps but overall it had a great marketing campaign.

I think every single trailer was well received and WB managed to build hype to the point of getting the OW tracking beyond 100M.

IconGrist

Most reviews say he's so-so, doesn't come close to Ledger or Nicholson and is actually a little disappointing to some.

There's also not much to go off. He's in the movie less than Spider-Man is in Civil War and none of his scenes were especially important to the rest of the movie.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
i'd gladly take a scene with hank, stark and banner over any other team up opportunity in the mcu right now.

pym easily has the best screen presence of the marvel characters after stark.

I've been wanting that scene for a long time. Mainly because I want to see Hank sock Tony in the face for the all the shit he's brought down on Earth.

For added chuckles, I'd include Peter Parker in the scene too. The old, brilliant men having a fun back and forth, and then Peter, young and naive and also brilliant, pops in to say something decidedly Parkerish.

I really enjoyed Holland's back and forth with RDJ in Civil War, and I really enjoy Banner and Starks scenes in Age of Ultron, so it'd be more of that, with Hank thrown in the mix as well. It could be a really fun scene. The four of them trying to come up with a way to stop Thanos or some shit. The current four top MCU minds.

JeTmAn81

Is...is this going to end up reviewing worse than BvS? C'mon man. I already skipped that due to bad reviews and was expecting this to be a lot better based on the trailers. I think I'm still going to end up seeing it due to just not really seeing any movies this summer and needing to use a movie ticket deal that expires soon.

Betty

Banned
There's also not much to go off. He's in the movie less than Spider-Man is in Civil War and none of his scenes were especially important to the rest of the movie.

Ledger had very few lines and had his face hidden during the prologue to The Dark Knight that got screened in front of I Am Legend.

It was still more impactful and hype worthy than what Leto's done.

IKizzLE

Any ton of people were laughing in my screening as well, but for how laughably bad some of the scenes were. I mean I laughed for almost a minute straight near the end because I couldn't believe some of those scenes made it past the cutting room floor. You will all know what I'm talking about when you go see it.

In terms of characters, will Smith was by far the best part of this movie. Jared Leto as joker was just bad. I mean....like, I hope he doesn't return in any future iteration of the character. I'm sure their will be people who like this film, but this is easily tied with green Lantern as the worst DC comic book movie ever created.

Fury451

Banned
Any ton of people were laughing in my screening as well, but for how laughably bad some of the scenes were. I mean I laughed for almost a minute straight near the end because I couldn't believe some of those scenes made it past the cutting room floor. You will all know what I'm talking about when you go see it.

In terms of characters, will Smith was by far the best part of this movie. Jared Leto as joker was just bad. I mean....like, I hope he doesn't return in any future iteration of the character. I'm sure their will be people who like this film, but this is easily tied with green Lantern as the worst DC comic book movie ever created.

Jai was good though right?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
so the movie is getting average reviews, but what do they say about Leto/Joker? Is he good?

He's really nothing special. More like a standard evil mob boss than a threatening and a murderous sociopath. In fact the villain isn't something memorable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom