• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

8Zumhhul.png

Will Smith: "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY DRINK"

Jared Leto: "You asked for a COUPLE of ice cubes in your drink, and I only put in one!!!"

LosDaddie

Banned
29%
Damn

I feel for ya, DC-GAF. I know you guys took a beating with BvS, and now it's basically round 2 a few months later. It's a shame WB took the "DC vs Marvel" fanboy war to heart, and went with the anti-Marvel approach.

2 tentpole movies for DCEU this year scoring about the same. That tells me WB told the directors their movies had to fit a certain mold, and that mold was the opposite of what Marvel is doing. Everything had to be edgy and dark.

Personally, I'm still a bit shocked BvS turned out so flawed. The 2 most iconic superheroes ever deserve better.

I want to believe in WW, but Gal Gadot still hasn't sold me on her acting, so I'm expecting it to be mediocre. I'd gladly take a hit though, WB could use one dearly considering the current state of DC Films.

Eh, I figure WW will score higher simply because the movie is about 1 character. More time to focus on the star.

29%
Damn

I feel for ya, DC-GAF. I know you guys took a beating with BvS, and now it's basically round 2 a few months later. It's a shame WB took the "DC vs Marvel" fanboy war to heart, and went with the anti-Marvel approach.

2 tentpole movies for DCEU this year scoring about the same. That tells me WB told the directors their movies had to fit a certain mold, and that mold was the opposite of what Marvel is doing. Everything had to be edgy and dark.

Personally, I'm still a bit shocked BvS turned out so flawed. The 2 most iconic superheroes ever deserve better.

Eh, I figure WW will score higher simply because the movie is about 1 character. More time to focus on the star.

I think they can make these as dark and edgy as they want, and that's fine I guess. The problem is they just aren't making good dark movies

Wow comic books movies are serious business. I was talking to my friend and his buddies and they are hating Nolan for starting Man of Steel and then leaving.

Damn that Nolan lol

Edit:WB should try to get directors how they got Nolan. He was working on small films that were good, it's a risk that payed off once. Maybe they can strike gold twice. And

And of course you know, don't interfere.

Has Nolan ever said why he recommended Snyder for the MoS job?

Granted, I haven't seen much Snyder work outside of 300, MoS, Watchmen etc (I may have seen Dawn of the Dead? a few years ago but I can't remember) but he feels so...much like the antithesis of Nolan as a film maker, I wonder if there was something else Nolan saw i'm not aware of.

Also, El Mayimbe said "great news" soon. Cannot imagine what, unless they've invented a dream machine that makes high quality movies outside of everything i've imagined from the DCU being on the big screen.

icespide

Banned
wasn't Snyder Nolan's like 4th choice?

I'm pretty sure at that point it was basically like "this guy will probably take the job so I recommend him"

Betty

Banned
Has Nolan ever said why he recommended Snyder for the MoS job?

Granted, I haven't seen much Snyder work outside of 300, MoS, Watchmen etc (I may have seen Dawn of the Dead? a few years ago but I can't remember) but he feels so...much like the antithesis of Nolan as a film maker, I wonder if there was something else Nolan saw i'm not aware of.

Also, El Mayimbe said "great news" soon. Cannot imagine what, unless they've invented a dream machine that makes high quality movies outside of everything i've imagined from the DCU being on the big screen.

It's possibly Goyer helped convince Nolan that Zack was the right guy for the job, that and the fact that he somehow found out Snyder is a fan of Superman, plus he is definitely into comics, so it made sense.

Or he wanted to salt the earth so his trilogy would remain the best comic book movies of all time and he sabotaged everything by picking Snyder.

Either way Snyder's the bad guy.

LosDaddie

Banned
I think they can make these as dark and edgy as they want, and that's fine I guess. The problem is they just aren't making good dark movies

Well yeah, that's a given. BvS is a flawed movie, but not because it's dark. MCU movies aren't necessarily lighthearted movies either, no matter what the haters say.

It just seems to me WB mandated these 2 movies to be dark & edgy to differentiate the DCEU

Slayven

29%
Damn

Edgy and Dark is fine, it's Edgy and Dark and Bad that people have a problem with.

DCEU needs their own Feige. someone that cares and their only job is too make these movies work.

a916

29%
Damn

The Hollywood Reporter report says they meddled and wanted to go for a more Marvel feel. While Ayer tried doing what Ayer does well, dark.

Timbuktu

People criticize Marvel's "studio-first" attitude towards making their movies, and rightfully so to a degree, but it seems to prevent them from falling into a situation like this or BvS. Whether it be because of a director who isn't talented enough for the biggest movie (Snyder) or a mix of studio interference and rushed production (Ayer), DC/WB always seem to have a problem. Marvel is so non-dependent on the filmmaker that their movies are almost always at worst "fine" because the studio is driving everything and they make no bones about that. Of course, some would argue that this approach never produces true classics like say TDK, but it's proven to be a pretty infallible formula when it comes to making money and a decent movie with pretty much every hero they have.

Depends how you see it, but people never have a problem attributing TV shows with 'show runners'. I'm not sure you can effectively have an 'extended universe' where films are part of a continuous show without what is effectively a 'show runner'. I don't think the DC approach is necessary unworkable and it's doesn't sound like they were hands off, but it's been poor execution and picking the wrong talent for the properties.

Edgy and Dark is fine, it's Edgy and Dark and Bad that people have a problem with.

DCEU needs their own Feige. someone that cares and their only job is too make these movies work.

Hopefully with his new promotion, Johns will be that guy. Whether everyone likes his style or not, it would at least be good to have someone as knowledgeable as him running it all with a singular vision.

Heard that Joker only has a small part. So JL methodical acting was for such a small bit?
So he is try-hard and also too free/lack of bookings? :/

Does the Joker swag walk in the trailer make it to the final cut?

Apparently, WB cut most of Joker's screentime, because they involved violence and tested poorly with audiences. So, JL was suppose to have way more screen time, but yeah...

Even The Dark Knight would've been cut down by WB.
Sad state of affairs. Seems like a nightmare to do a comic book movie at WB. Then again I don't remember Man of Steel having problems. What changed?

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
The Hollywood Reporter report says they meddled and wanted to go for a more Marvel feel. While Ayer tried doing what Ayer does well, dark.

Yeah and that's a real bummer, WB didn't like the initial cut of the movie so they hired Trailer Park who mainly edit trailers.

I heard that Geoff Johns new position as head of the dc movie division starts with Wonder Woman.

It feels like these films came out about 15 years too late. If either of them launched around the time that Eminem was at his height, they would have been the biggest movies of all time.

They're early 2000's sensibilities with modern day production values.

It's possibly Goyer helped convince Nolan that Zack was the right guy for the job, that and the fact that he somehow found out Snyder is a fan of Superman, plus he is definitely into comics, so it made sense.

Or he wanted to salt the earth so his trilogy would remain the best comic book movies of all time and he sabotaged everything by picking Snyder.

Either way Snyder's the bad guy.

I suppose. I'd love for Snyder to make JL lots of fun and still a little dark but with great action and so on, because I think his visual aspect does "enhance" his films in a lot of ways, but MoS and BvS fell short in a fair few others. I know Terrio's has always said BvS was meant to be dark and JL was more of an adventure, dark moments but a lot of fun and crazy shit happening, but the way they apparently made the Knightmare sequence up once filming started just feels like either Snyder thought he knew better or the suits again edited the movie to hell and back.

I do like the idea someone mentioned in here or another thread of maybe solo films that are self contained arcs across a trilogy, and then a JL film (or trilogy) that uses the same people and takes place in the same world but doesn't try to bend over backwards being some interconnected universe and failing in the process.

Well yeah, that's a given. BvS is a flawed movie, but not because it's dark. MCU movies aren't necessarily lighthearted movies either, no matter what the haters say.

It just seems to me WB mandated these 2 movies to be dark & edgy to differentiate the DCEU

So far, the DCEU does feel like its got the fingers of people who want franchise movies and not so much good movies all over it. It'll be interesting when WW comes out, I'd almost take a "It's solid but flawed" wtih no interference even if it just acts as a secondary launching point.

I know all the actors and people involved say "Oh critics are harsh" or whatever but I can't quite believe that Terrio et all would, before the films have come out, talk up the plans and what they're doing and have the movie that's released be what they wanted to be on the big screen. I haven't seen the UE of BvS, probably will next week, so I'll see if its an improvement then

Definitely has the look.

jakegyllenhaal.jpg

giphy.gif

Until now I didn't know how badly I want Jake to be the Joker but for like 2 Batman films have a civillian identity and make frequent appearances, only to be revealed in the final film...like that bit in the tail end of Snyder's run that
Joker had been working at Arkham Asylum/Wayne Manor as a Doctor who had occasionally helped Batman out

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
29%
Damn

She's a terrible actress though :/. I can't see her carrying an entire movie. :(

LosDaddie

Banned

Correct. Marvel has basically shown Hollywood the blueprint for a successful CU and still WB basically just said "Nah. We're going to do this our own way".

Personally, I don't think dark & edgy really works for superheroes. It's an inherently silly concept, grown men & women wearing costumes fight crime / SAVING THE WORLD. It's ridiculous. Certain heroes can be dark & edgy (Batman), but I don't think the approach works for guys like Supes / Spiderman / Flash. There needs to be balance.

This was after BvS, though.
Think about all the "crazy" stuff Leto was doing on set. WB had a major hard on about all that stuff. They were so eager to have the media report on it.

Alebrije

Maybe could be related to movie behavior in the US.

Today the second largest movie theater in México and 5th of the world decided to not show Suicide Squat, They will return 75000 tickets already sold for the premiere.

Ir seems they have troubles with Universal regardling distribución changes , anyway SQ wont be on the 2500 movie theaters te Company has in México.

wasn't Snyder Nolan's like 4th choice?

I'm pretty sure at that point it was basically like "this guy will probably take the job so I recommend him"

WB needed a Superman film out for legal reasons. IIRC picking Snyder is for his ability to get it done. The circumstances around it weren't great and other directors passed for that reason.

Man that is pretty insane that DC / WB launched two major Comic films this year and both are in the 20s on RT

Its kinda impressive how much they have managed to fuck all this up

ezekial45

Banned
I'm still seeing the movie this weekend, but yeah it definitely sucks to see them failing to win people over. That THR article was so damning.

It definitely feels like they're squandering all these characters and stories. Which SUCKS, because DC is fucking great when it works. I don't think a reboot is in order, but I hope WW and JL can become the turning point.

With the worst star of the three DCEU movies and a director who hasn't made a movie in over a decade. It's not really a safe bet.
The fact that it's a origin story and set in the past gaves some hope.
I don't think Gal is a old actress but there are actors that are good at certain roles, maybe Wonder Women is her one role she can nail.

Oddduck

A movie with a Ben Affleck Batman / Jake Gyllenhall Joker has potential to be incredible. Especially with Affleck writing and directing the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom