• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Pretty good. A bit messy. Tonally confused at times. Much better than it's two predecessors and a better than decent action flick.
Joker (Leto) and Harley (Robbie) were interpreted perfectly and stole the show.

6.5/10

Here's my civil review. Don't crucify me pls.

Ok, characters a lot better than expected... I loved it...Especially DeadShot, Joker not the best, but really good + Harley Queen. But the movie.. well... The action scenes a blurry mess. IGN score was on spot.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
First BvS lets him down, then Suicide Squad lets him down, and now his belt lets him down.

fIvmpSm.png

3N16MA

Banned
I'm curious if "decent/fun action movie" will be enough for the general audience to split with critics on this. Guess we really won't know until a few weeks from now though.

We should know by next weekend. If this has decent daily holds and then a solid 2nd weekend then audiences will have told critics they don't agree.

BvS dropped had massive drops.

JUST SAW IT!

Of course, GAF yet again exaggerated. This movie was seriously not bad, it was a hell of a lot of fun!

Pros:
Harley and Amanda STOLE the show
The origin stories were really neat
Loved seeing Batman and Bruce Wayne
The final scene was great

Cons:
Jared Leto was barely in it and was pretty bad...why did he keep growling?
Wish the Joker cared less about Harley
The editing was weird...scenes definitely looked like stuff had been cut out
Too. Much. Music. Way too many music video sequences.

Might I add that Margot's delivery of Harley's lines and comedic timing were flawless? My theatre loved her.

WB better getting started on that Harley and Ivy movie.

3N16MA

Banned
If there's anything we've learned this year, internet controversy is bad for a film's legs.

Looking back at CW you realize that its legs were no that impressive. 2.36 multiplier which is the lowest for any MCU film.

That is for a film with great reviews.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I know plenty of people outside of GAF that think BvS is unwatchable.

You'll be surprised to know that the "GAF hive mind" is a fallacy and GAF's opinions don't differ much from people in the physical world.

Except for The Dark Knight Rises! Well, that could be just a vocal minority I guess.

Fury451

Banned
There are plenty here who exaggerate all the time. Like acting as if BvS is unwatchable.

Eh, preferences. It's not unwatchable, but its a big time commitment so I honestly wouldn't recommend anybody on the fence to check it out, and personally wouldn't view it again.

They aren't wrong about this one.
It's really not, I don't think some of you have legitimately seen an unwatchable movie. I'm not saying you can't dislike it or think it's bad and or unenjoyable but unwatchable? This is one of those those times that I'll agree that many of the users here can be incredibly hyperbolic when they want to be.

Alebrije

Indeed. Also in a lot of low income communities (barrios/colonias/delegaciones/etc.) they are the only theaters too.

I posted this in the BCT, don't mind if i post it again:

Cinemex already had 75,000 ticktes sold for the premiere tonight and tomorrow. They will change them for other movies.

They are the second largest movie theaters in México and 5th of the world, they have around 300 cinemas in Mexico and 2500 screens

Not even Cinepolis ( the biggest company) can save SS here.

Just got out of the film. I loved it. My girlfriend loved it. The whole theatre seemed to love it. I sat next to a guy in full joker cosplay that even had the tattoos drawn on his body. Everyone clapped at the end and were excitedly talking about it with each other on the way out. I think it's going to be a hit with the general audience

Notes

- Margot is the perfect Harley Quinn
-Leto was great but as many have said he needed more screen time.
- Villain was weak but the stuff going on around the cast getting to them was great.
- seriously I had a ton of fun and the girlfriend and I will probably go see it again Saturday morning

Also fuck AMC for giving us the wrong glasses. Had to hurry and switch them out. Gave us Real 3D instead of IMAX 3D. Apparently they aren't universal cause everything was blurry as shit

batman deadshot scene was fantastic

Astral Dog

I think im going to puke, it was disgusting in so many levels its not even funny.
would rather waste my time watching BvS theatre version

It's really not, I don't think some of you have legitimately seen an unwatchable movie. I'm not saying you can't dislike it or think it's bad and or unenjoyable but unwatchable? This is one of those those times that I'll agree that many of the users here can be incredibly hyperbolic when they want to be.
That's funny because a couple left the movie theater never to return during the Flash-induced dream sequence. I guess they deemed it to be unwatchable.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Oh man. My boy just got out from seeing it and texted me that it was pretty dope. He didn't like BvS as a comparison but generally likes most super hero flicks. He said "both Margot Robbie and Will Smith were the shit!"

Robbie killing it as Harley seems a common reaction at this point I think. Same for Will Smith as Deadshot, which nobody expected.

Well, guess I'm hyped to see it again.

Better than BvS but still not that great. At least BvS was somewhat fascinating to watch unfold. This was just cookie cutter studio fare.

Leto reminded me of a bad Depp impression more than anything.

Reminded me a lot of the Schumacher movies in how much it felt controlled, like it was a product more than a movie.

Saw the movie today with a friend, not a fan at all of the previous DCCU films but I really enjoyed this, just a lot of fun and some of the actors were great, 'both Harley and Deadshot were pleasant surprises, Joker wasw pretty insane, and Killer Croc was a funny surprise too. Overall not a great movie but a pretty good summer flick imo

That's funny because a couple left the movie theater never to return during the Flash-induced dream sequence. I guess they deemed it to be unwatchable.
You know what, argue whatever you want man. We're just going to keep going around in circles and ultimately I don't really care what you or that couple thought about the movie. But it obviously couldn't have been that bad if you stayed.

You know what, argue whatever you want man. We're just going to keep going around in circles and ultimately I don't really care what you or that couple thought about the movie. But it obviously couldn't have been that bad if you stayed.
Sorry I will never, ever revisit this movie, DC cut or otherwise.

Schlorgan

This is much more entertaining for me to watch all of this unfold since I wasn't going to see it anyway. As an impartial observer, this is the most fascinating thread in a long time

Jeb

Hated it.

Hated the Joker most of all.
He was just weird most of the time, he felt very off and not in a good way, like some kind of creeper.
From how he acts to how he looks, not feeling him at all.

Harley is kinda the same but at a much lesser extent.

Liked Deadshot and Crock though, only good parts of the movie.

Everyone else seemed like they were barely in it.

nice to hear some impressions from regular humans. I'm not sure when I'll get to see this, probably next week

It really was fun. I'm dead serious when I say everyone seemed to love it. It's not perfect but damn if it didn't leave me and my girlfriend gushing about it the whole way home

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It was okay.

The first act was a complete mess, just like BvS but worse. It felt like it should've taken 10-15 max to introduce the concept and some of the characters and yet it took upwards of 40 or so, all while feeling like a bunch of random scenes put together.

The last two acts were much better but there's not a single scene I could call great in it.

Way too much music.

Lots of jokes fell flat.

Harley and Deadshot were the clear standouts of the cast and Leto's Joker was pretty good but they didn't give him enough to work with, so, I couldn't really say how good of a Joker he is.

The funniest thing in the movie is that they used Rope Guy as a plot device to show that Waller would actually kill them. Dude had a total of, what, a minute of screentime?

[edit]

Anyone have a link to the differences between the early and final cut?

Man, there's no real consensus among "real people" for this movie, it definitely feels like a movie that gets low RT scores because there's nothing between a rotten score and a fresh score in RT so most of the middling scores end up being negative in RT's eyes

And since I'm talking RT scores, the movie now has 27%, the chances of this getting a lower score than BvS are getting higher

Ahasverus

You'll probably dismiss this because it's me and I'm clearly Damaged but.. it was not that bad. Not 30% bad. At all. It's a fine 45% or something. It has some corny lines and stuff, but it's not worse than many, many others. I say it's similar to Jurassic World. I say go see it, you won't get bored, that's for sure. I think the general Audience will eat it up, it checks all boxes of modern popcorn cinema.

I keep himming and hawing as to whether I want to go see it, and go see it tonight. It's playing in 40 minutes.

I don't really know if I want to spend money to see it, though. I'm not a huge DC or comic book fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom