• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviews are pretty on the mark really. Maybe a little too harsh. It drags is the thing, from the 30 minutes of straight exposition (oh my god how many flashbacks) to the pretty unremarkable action scenes. No matter how engaging and interesting these characters could be, I didn't see that whilst viewing.

And yeah mentioned in the spoiler thread but Jared Leto's Joker is the worst thing in the film. Just unbearable.

Real talk, this is the kind of movie that should've been made -after- these guys had all made appearances in the various solo movies.

Kibbles

So just came out and I'd give it a 8/10. My 69 year old aunt loved it and she doesn't know anything about these characters.
Saw it with a bunch of friends this seems to be the consensus score, we didn't score it but I scored it a 8/10 the other day on my first viewing and that's the impression I got from them talking about the film afterward. They thought it was good and funny but also were upset at how little screentime Joker got and how the final battle went down. Definitely don't get the hate, everybody seemed to enjoy it despite some disappointments.

There's a line of dialogue between Rick Flag to Will Smith at the final battle that's supposed to be serious but a couple of us laughed out loud because of how ridiculous and on the nose it was, should've been cut that was bad lol

Animator

Some of the cgi could have been extreme last minute work too.

It felt like Croc's proportions changed from scene to scene.

More like all of the CGI. :(

The villains design kept changing literally every week so it is extremely hard to nail a look down and make it work in all the scenes. Not to mention he is a fucking
transparent guy with glass armor on top, no matter what you do he is not going to look "right" in a live action plate

I think the team did an excellent job considering how fluid the design was and how ridiculous the deadlines were.

Just watched it. Kinda mediocre, better than BVS at least. Plot was a jumbled mess, with awful editing, shit-tier villain and overuse of popular music ("See, we can be fun and hip too!"). Will Smith put in a good performance (helps that Deadshot got some decent character development) and Diet Sam Worthington was surprisingly entertaining.

Ahasverus

More like all of the CGI. :(

The villains design kept changing literally every week so it is extremely hard to nail a look down and make it work in all the scenes. Not to mention he is a fucking
transparent guy with glass armor on top, no matter what you do he is not going to look "right" in a live action plate

I think the team did an excellent job considering how fluid the design was and how ridiculous the deadlines were.
Animator! I was looking for you. Can you tell us about how different the ending was? And do you think there was a vastly different version before the executive fallout?

And yeah, tell your team it was a good job, it definitely looked like you didn't have much time.

Vinc

A complete and utter disaster.

Joker was awful beyond BELIEF. I genuinely didn't expect him to be this bad. My GOD. He had what... 5 minutes of screentime? And that was too much. Way too much. He dragged down every scene he was in.

Harley had a collection of horrible one-liners. Her character sucked and her entire motivation was becoming Joker's trophy. That's awful. Her acting was alright though, she got into it. Her best moments are all in the trailers so... yeah.

Deadshot was the only redeemable thing about the movie, and that's not saying much.

Joker
texting Harley
throughout the whole movie was one of the worst ideas ever put on screen.
"I'M ALMOST READY!"

Reminded me of EA putting up the "Battlefront in x minutes" thing during one of their E3 conferences. Except the "payoff" in this case was incredibly awful.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I honestly had a lot of fun with the movie. Fuck the critics. Man of steel and BvS were no where near as fun.

KillGore

Whats the consensus on Leto's Joker?

He's much more like the Joker we know than Ledger. I enjoyed Ledger more than Leto but I think that has to do with the clothing and the tattoos everywhere. Silly thing to be bothered with, I know. Other than that, he's great as the Joker (IMO).

Animator

Animator! I was looking for you. Can you tell us about how different the ending was? And do you think there was a vastly different version before the executive fallout?

And yeah, tell your team it was a good job, it definitely looked like you didn't have much time.

Ending was quite different.
It was just the fight with Incubus followed by enchantress giving some speech trying to win them over and then they kill the machine with c4. They added the dirty enchantress fight later on because the ending was so boring (I think half of it was slow mo really).

I am sad they did not go with the first design of incubus though, he looked awesome without the glass armor on top of him. You could see all the body parts from the metro people he ingested floating inside him.

Will see it tomorrow morning. I still haven't seen the full movie so no idea how it all came together.

Jake2by4

Saw it with a bunch of friends this seems to be the consensus score, we didn't score it but I scored it a 8/10 the other day on my first viewing and that's the impression I got from them talking about the film afterward. They thought it was good and funny but also were upset at how little screentime Joker got and how the final battle went down. Definitely don't get the hate, everybody seemed to enjoy it despite some disappointments.

There's a line of dialogue between Rick Flag to Will Smith at the final battle that's supposed to be serious but a couple of us laughed out loud because of how ridiculous and on the nose it was, should've been cut that was bad lol

Yea the pacing and time between shots was weird and ending is some bullshit.

Kibbles

Just found the differences between the screener and final version.

What the fuck is up with DC, man? I had never seen a movie and thought to myself, "I need to see the director's cut" but that has now happened with BvS and SS. Why did they think it was a good idea to remove so many Joker scenes?

[edit]

Worst line in the movie was
Diablo calling them his family. Dude, you've known these people for less than a day and now you're putting them up there with your wife and kids? Okay.
yeah that was pretty cringey, especially after he spent the vast majority of that time refusing to fight with them

Ahasverus

It was just the fight with Incubus followed by enchantress giving some speech trying to win them over and then they kill the machine with c4. They added the dirty enchantress fight later on because the ending was so boring (I think half of it was slow mo really).

I am sad they did not go with the first design of incubus though, he looked awesome without the glass armor on top of him. You could see all the body parts from the metro people he ingested floating inside him.

Will see it tomorrow morning. I still haven't seen the full movie so no idea how it all came together.
Wow. WOW: You weren't kidding, the final act is so much better now.. I mean, not completely good, but far better now.
So the deleted Joker scene was another hallucination, or was he just messing up their mission? Why was it cut?

And the Incubus redesign was a bummer, would love to see his initial design. Why was it scrapped? Too expensive? Why is that the villains kept changing every week?

Enchantress's dance moves were 🔥🔥🔥

I'm not going to lie, that was turning me on.
giphy.gif

yeah that was pretty cringey, especially after he spent the vast majority of that time refusing to fight with them
The way that they suddenly identified themselves as a team really feels forced.

Deadshot's biggest desire was a huge WTF to me,
he wanted to raise his daughter so bad the entire the movie, but no he actually wanted to kill Batman more

void666

Banned
Just watched the movie. I enjoyed it.
It's like a marvel movie. It's funny. It's competent. Nothing more.There's nothing absolutely broken about the movie.
I'm surprised by the RT rating. Maybe warner should have made a guilt tripping marketing campaign to avoid harsh criticisms? It worked for ghostbusters.

My biggest gripe was about the joker. He got the looks. But he's just a mob boss that looks like the joker. Didn't feel memorable to me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The way that they suddenly identified themselves as a team really feels forced.

Deadshot's biggest desire was a huge WTF to me,
he wanted to raise his daughter so bad the entire the movie, but no he actually wanted to kill Batman more
I think the point was batman took him from his daughter.

J_Viper

Now I'm deciding if I want to bother with this on Sunday, or wait for the GoTY edition with all the cut content and see Star Trek instead.

As someone who managed to find enjoyment even in the theatrical BvS, and would gladly place BvS UC and MoS among his all time favorite comic flicks, is it worth a shot?

Ahasverus

Now I'm deciding if I want to bother with this on Sunday, or wait for the GoTY edition with all the cut content and see Star Trek instead.

As someone who managed to find enjoyment even in the theatrical BvS, and would gladly place BvS UC and MoS among his all time favorite comic flicks, is it worth a shot?
There won't be a DC this time, sadly. I think there was a clearly better movie at the cutting floor. This is still worth a shot, I say see it.

kris.

Banned

meh, you'll like it.

but i'd still see beyond instead because that movie is fun as FUCK.

Zombine

Banned
Movie is a 6 or 7 out of 10. It has some charm and I enjoyed some of the characters, but Leto Joker is incredibly cringeworthy. I got the sense that he was just trying too hard to say lines as Joker instead of becoming the character.

I thought we established that the only impression that mattered was mines

I'll watch it in the morning. I'm expecting a nice fluff action film and I'll probably get it.

Not sure how Ghostbusters got a higher RT score than Suicide Squad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ghostbusters was a solid film that is pretty easy to give a good review.

Yeah the
excessive amount of slo-mo
is still there. That really stuck out.

Ya'll saying it's "that that bad" and then in the next sentence saying the editing was shit, you're not helping. Bad editing = bad movie, no two ways about it. Also keep in mind that "the critics" have collectively given it a 4.8/10 so far. Leaning bad, but not a dumpster fire of a movie. If you say "it's not that bad," you're agreeing with the critic consensus.

Because there's a world outside of Neogaf.

The world outside of NeoGAF right now are the most ardent fans rushing out to see Thursday previews. Word of mouth is literally always positive on Thursday night. It was for BvS as well. But it ended up having record-breaking, historically bad legs against no competition.

Not that SS will perform as poorly after the first weekend. I'd expect it to hit $300m if it has a $140m opening weekend.

void666

Banned
I think SS is the most consistent DC movie yet. MoS and BvS both have some great moments along shitty ones. SS is consistently ok throughout the movie.

And went to see margot robbie skinny ass but left the movie with enchantress in my head. She was amazing visually. I even loved her awkward dancing like movement.
I want the filthy version. Those fiery eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom