• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat4all

Banned
I never subscribed to the whole "MCU villains are terrible" talking point in the first place tbh. The biggest negative I can say about them is they can use 10 to 15 minutes of more screen/scene time in any given film, generally speaking. The only outright terrible one is Malekith.

I mean, they all ain't bad, but they all ain't too good or memorable.

They are just kinda there. They are fine.

GotG was an exception, because he was middle of the road generic villain on purpose.

Greg.....Is not happy, they outright say when they do spoilers so feel free to watch until that point, 10 seconds in and you will understand how they feel hahah.

You for real? I'm legit shook.
Expected him to eat the entire film up lol.

Gotta watch the vid after work.

rdytoroll

Earlier this thread I said that I found BvS really entertaining. Now that I watched it a second time (at home, the Ultimate Cut) I found it to be a real slog. I think I looked more at my tablet than the TV... Damn, that first impression in theatres really didn't hold up and that's kinda sad

I'm sure I'll like Suicide Squad the first time too, but more importantly it has to hold up after that first viewing and be fun to watch

Angryjoe's review kinda got my hopes up again too

Boem

A lot of actors pay zero mind to reviews. I've seen so many get asked about reviews of movies they've been in and have no clue. Box Office performance on the other hand...

They absolutely do, if only because their agents/agencies expect them to, and because it can heavily influence the type of work they will be able to get after that project. Especially for the younger actors.

When an actor says they don't pay attention to reviews, it's code for 'yeah, the reviews weren't great'.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Knew this movie was gonna be bad after hearing Bohemian Rhapsody in the trailer.

I wonder how involved Zack Snyder was for this movie...

Even the best MCU films hover around 7.5-8.0 in avg rating which tells me they're very good films on the cusp of being actually great. When you hold them to a blockbuster standard, obviously they're much better than the lot of them. But when you compare them to films as a whole, MCU films aren't critical darlings. They're well-received and get some degree of critical acclaim, but this isn't Pixar we're talking about here.

Good on the cusp of being great is the perfect description of MCU movies. They're good movies but too flawed to be anything better. I think Avengers is the only one I'd say is actually overrated by critics. To this day, my favourite superhero movie series is still TDK trilogy.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I just Rewatched thor 2 yesterday. The movie has issues, but it's not a mess from a plot, editing, tone, story standpoint. It's a bit generic and forgettable but it's not a disaster.

The DC movies have fundamental basic movie flaws.

A lot of actors pay zero mind to reviews. I've seen so many get asked about reviews of movies they've been in and have no clue. Box Office performance on the other hand...

don't kid yourself they care a lot and why wouldn't they, if i released something and it gets panned that's never a good feeling. of course most would rather take a big check for a terrible superhero movie over a flop that's a critical darling.

2018 looks promising. Also, I don't see Cyborg happening at all. They might cancel that or replace it with another movie.
dcslate-e1419396936570.jpg

nice to see that the UI designer of Playstation Battle Royale got some work.

Supast4r

Just watched it. I think the critics were a little harsh on the movie, it was not good or bad, I would put it in a "ok" level. But leto's joker was so bad, he was just a type of bad gangster, the only he had of jker was the name.
Comments like this tell me that people didn't read silver age comics. Letos joker was based on the old school gangster version of joker before the "dark knight" modern take on batman. I just saw the movie and I thought that this issue with Leto was the fact that he wasn't meanceing enough. In the dark knight one of the first scenes where you see the joker is when he kills all of his minions just for fun after he robs a bank. Leto never had moments where you felt uneasy when he was around. Overall I thought the movie had its ups and downs. I thought Harley had many strong points (her personality was on point, her craziness) and her lows (wtf with the dream of a normal life win the joker) I feel like I need to see it again to tell how good it was

Boney

Banned
Not being a huge comic nerd at all, wouldn't the Harley thing
be sort of possible as a subconscious bridge at the therapist her keeps getting more and more pushed down while the psychotic Harley gets a complete hold? But still, what I gather is that she becomes completely fascinated with the Joker's pure anarchism, wanting to take part of this world, but at the same time she's still always looking for her approval. Handled well I guess it could be "eh" instead of gag worthy, but the idea of the Joker not completely manipulating her is the crux of the matter for me, not only cause he cares for her but because he wants to be normal wtf.

I could be wrong since most of my accumulated Batman mythos comes from TAS, with a bit more of osmosis through the years.

Majukun

so,wait...guardians of the galaxy is considered like some kind of gold standard now?
it was an ok film,but nothing incredible

cr0w

Old Member
Oh yeah Leto was exactly what most pegged him as when that try-hard damaged fascade was first revealed in photos.

Garbage.

This was what I was wondering. I don't fucking like Leto at all, never have, because he's super try-hard in everything he does. It seemed to me like this was going to be more Leto doing a Joker impression than actually playing the character. After Ledger, I'm willing to wait and see what happens, but just knowing how Leto is, I was fairly apprehensive about what he'd do with it.

Oh well, still going to see it Saturday, and I'll probably enjoy myself. I don't ask for much from films as long as I'm entertained for a couple hours.

Oersted

Yeah, CW's avg rating of 7.6 point it towards being a really good blockbuster as opposed some critical god like TDK whose avg rating is a full point higher

I don't think that many MCU films have broken the 8.0 avg rating, if at all. First Iron Man maybe? Avengers?

Only Avengers.
cue the rage!

Avengers.

Even the best MCU films hover around 7.5-8.0 in avg rating which tells me they're very good films on the cusp of being actually great. When you hold them to a blockbuster standard, obviously they're much better than the lot of them. But when you compare them to films as a whole, MCU films aren't critical darlings. They're well-received and get some degree of critical acclaim, but this isn't Pixar we're talking about here.

First Iron Man has 94%.

As high as Dark Knight, lol.

dabig2

so,wait...guardians of the galaxy is considered like some kind of gold standard now?

Only people claim it as gold standard are usually the ones building up the strawman to give justification to tear it down. Most people I know just say it was a fun, enjoyable film with a likeable cast. That doesn't make it a gold standard of cape films, it just makes it...an enjoyable film with a likeable cast of characters.

GunBR

I agree with you, but the Internet loved that movie
IGN put it as the best movie of the MCU, and a bunch of critics (and fans) said something similar

Blader

First Iron Man has 94%.

As high as Dark Knight, lol.

They're talking about the average rating, not the fresh/rotten percentage. They both have a 94 percent RT rating, but the actual average score on Iron Man is 7.7, almost a full point lower than TDK's 8.6.

I'll never understand the love for IM1 (or IM2).

That movie fell off a cliff the second Tony got out of Afghanistan.

It's funny and charming and has RDJ carving out of the all-time iconic performances in the genre.

Vanish

No way, Guardians of the Galaxy is easily top 3 superhero movies of all time for me and I've seen nearly every single superhero movie. I love Guardians of the Galaxy

phanphare

Banned
I'll never understand the love for IM1 (or IM2).

That movie fell off a cliff the second Tony got out of Afghanistan.

I think the love for the first Iron Man is a time and place kind of thing. at that time it was a really great interpretation of a comic book character that you didn't really get all that much of back then. plus rdj was great as tony stark and is still one of the better casting choices for a superhero movie.

Iron Man 2 was bad

Top 5 superhero movies of all time:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Guardians of the Galaxy

Sorry, but I really liked Watchmen's UC, which was the first version I saw.

cr0w

Old Member

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

1. Unbreakable
2. BvS UC
3. TDK
4. MoS
5. Cap: TwS
6. GotG
7. Watchmen UC
8. Batman Begins
9. Batman Forever
10. Cap: TFA

Needless to say, I'm in the minority on a LOT of that, but I'm influenced by comics more so than any animated series (which I've never watched), which is an anomaly apparently.

IconGrist

I don't know how anyone can really judge that Joker. He has more screen time in the totality of the trailers than he does in the movie. I mean really. Even people saying 10 minutes are being really generous. It's more like 3 minutes. 4 at absolute best.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

I really liked Watchmen. I don't think I'd put it in my top 5, but I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom