• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leto Joker is by far the worst. Sometimes first impressions are right. This is one of those times.

His new supervillian name should be The Cringer. Because from his grossly weird cadence to the way he fawned over Harley I barely unscrunched my face.

It was high school play bad.

kswiston

Why is $750 to $800 being quoted as break even point then?

Budget is $175 according to BOM and for CBM movies advertising does seem to be more than same again so I agree the $800 million seems high but that's the figure I've seen quoted.

I gather China's looking unlikely too so I'm not yet convinced a big US opening means alls peach numbers wise: but $800 million to break even seems pretty high.

Its quoted because it looks good in headlines. The easiest rebuttal to those sorts of figures is to look at the many $180-200M films that get sequels announced/made when the first film comes nowhere near $800M, and when licensing opportunities are nearly non-existant. Look at World War Z. Hell, look at Batman Begins.

Perhaps the sunk cost are $350-400M, but that advertising cost also markets merchandise, eventual home video release, etc. Unless you are throwing all of that in as well, it's a bit meaningless to say "break even is $750-800M".

Leto Joker is my favorite joker by far. Seems like he could actually be a supervillain, and be someone that people actually fear in Gotham and elsewhere. Absolutely cannot wait to see him get more screen time.

The scene of him rescuing Harley and shooting out the back of the helicopter, when it flashed to Joker laughing as he was shooting, was legitimately terrifying.

Havent watched TDK in a while so I need to do that to refresh things but as of now I have Leto > Ledger > Nicholson.

I was very excited to hear he got the part, because he is a phenomenal actor, I mean maybe top 10 in the world. So this makes me happy to read.

I was very excited to hear he got the part, because he is a phenomenal actor, I mean maybe top 10 in the world. So this makes me happy to read.

Im apparently in the minority here so dont base it off of my views. But I got excited as hell every single time he was on screen or about to be. Easily my favorite character in the film and seeing him go up against Affleck is going to be great.

SnowHawk

Just finished watching it. I would say it was a good summer popcorn action movie. Not great but not as bad as the critics are saying. I also didn't like Jared as the joker. He didn't do anything for me.

I don't think its fair to ask Leto to replicate Ledger, each version on screen has been different, and he did what was asked of him. Leto is a world class actor.

tomtom94

Its quoted because it looks good in headlines. The easiest rebuttal to those sorts of figures is to look at the many $180-200M films that get sequels announced/made when the first film comes nowhere near $800M, and when licensing opportunities are nearly non-existant. Look at World War Z. Hell, look at Batman Begins.

Perhaps the sunk cost are $350-400M, but that advertising cost also markets merchandise, eventual home video release, etc. Unless you are throwing all of that in as well, it's a bit meaningless to say "break even is $750-800M".

World War Z's sequel lost its director earlier this year didn't it? Also lots of films get sequels announced during production to build up hype - see Ghostbusters 2016 / Green Lantern.

Comparing Leto and Ledger is useless.
One is grounded in reality and one is in a world with aliens, magic and Metahumans.

Both great portrayals but they are different

Memento

I don't think its fair to ask Leto to replicate Ledger, each version on screen has been different, and he did what was asked of him. Leto is a world class actor.

From what I have read it looks like Leto tried way too hard. In fact it looks like he tried blastantly to replicate Heath Ledger's joker with the maneirisms and the continuity of the voice by the end of a sentence, but failed miserably to do so. Like, his acting feels like he thinks he is one of those perfect imitators of voices that only himself thinks so.

Then there is the constant laughs which are always out of place and doesnt make any sense (great contrast from Ledger's joker, in which the laughs all seemed perfectly tied to the moments and character). Like, he laughts just to be "more joker", it is not something natural.

Got damn Greg Miller opens up the Kinda Funny review by pouring a drink.

I feel bad for him.

Kinda Funny Review

I listened to the whole interview but the fact that they pretty much disliked Harley made me think they have no idea what she is talking about. She is pretty much the best part of the movie from the general audience and the critics

*review*
Don't know why I said interview lol

I am glad they enjoyed Leto though

kswiston

World War Z's sequel lost its director earlier this year didn't it? Also lots of films get sequels announced during production to build up hype - see Ghostbusters 2016 / Green Lantern.

Paramount announced their sequel release date (which will likely be missed now) 2 years after the first film released, so its not the same situation at Green Lantern 2.

The fact that they are still considering the film after 3 years is my point. WWZ made $540M worldwide on a budget close to $200M. We wouldnt even be having this conversation if every film in that budget range needed $700-800M to see a return.

No one is. But his portrayal is bad. I don't know if it's the cuts or the direction, but I was not feeling anything he was putting out. The line delivery is just...I don't know. I think he is going for a "constantly high on drugs" approach?

Then there is the constant laughs which are always out of place and doesnt make any sense (great contrast from Ledger's joker, in which the laughs all seemed perfectly tied to the moments and character). Like, he laughts just to be "more joker", it is not something natural.

Oddly enough, this is what Eisenberg's Lex Luthor does too.

nn4dFkD.png

wellthereitis.gif

Jesus lol. He drove a stake in the movie's heart.

Ridley327

Goes on WAY too long.

The chateau fight is great, but the highway chase gets really tedious.

Yep. I swear that half of the chase scene is footage of Trinity and the Keymaker dodging traffic. That, and they totally screwed the pooch on the Morpheus vs. Twins showdown. If you give someone a katana in a digital world where you can making just about anything happen, you don't just slash some tires!

Sojgat

Then he'll need a costume designer older than 15 and an editor that doesn't try way too hard to say "LOOK AT HOW CRAZY THIS CHARACTER IS!" with quick cuts and overly-produced effects.

I get the feeling that if he was allowed to just be in an extended scene without all the editing tricks he might actually be scary. Whatever his performance in this movie is meant to be, the way it's cut together does him no favours.

cr0w

Old Member
Mark Hamill in the greasepaint is the only way you are going to save this wet fart of a cinematic universe at this point, WB.

I really think a good number of you guys have a way, way too romanticized vision of everything related to the DCAU.

I mean, I get that it was great and all and most of you grew up on it, but it's not the only DC universe out there.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Just make Leto watch all Batman: The Animated Series episodes featuring The Joker on loop until that's all he knows.

Ehh, didn't particularly like his Joker but I do think he has it in him. He barely had any screen time, couldn't properly judge it. Could have worked better with more/in a different movie. Or him being the actual villain. I don't mind the thug direction they are taking, we just need to see more of him to properly judge how it holds up. He is really scary, way more than Ledger/Nicholson. And I did like his mannerisms, but once again once; they cut away so quickly it was really bothering me.

kswiston

I really think a good number of you guys have a way, way too romanticized vision of everything related to the DCAU.

I mean, I get that it was great and all and most of you grew up on it, but it's not the only DC universe out there.

Hamill would be terrible as a live action Joker.

cr0w

Old Member
Hamill would be terrible as a live action Joker.

Yes, he would.

Kevin Conroy would also be terrible as a live-action Batman.

Not the only one.

... Just the best.

Entirely subjective. I will ask, however, what the benefit is in someone simply remaking the cartoon, which many people would seemingly be happy with? Why retread something that's already been done before, especially if it's as great as people claim?

Sephzilla

If they ever did a live action Return of the Joker movie I think Hamill should get the Joker role.

Michael Keaton for Old Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom