• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pestul

Sheesh: all these people saying its a cheap night out give it a go? Where the hell where you when The Nice Guy's released?

You know they excellent film you didn't even have to worry you might be wasting money on?

Anyway looks like getting it in the most venues ever for time period will help launch but I'm still expecting it to fold like BvS at this point unless it manages a decent hold.
I mostly agree there. It's only the tent pole blockbusters that seem to get the 'go check it out anyway and make up your own mind' treatment or attention. I'm sure a lot of great smaller films would love to have that kind of support.

That being said, many people have really enjoyed the marketing and trailers for this one, so they probably should see it to formulate an opinion. If you haven't liked the marketing and are still on the fence, then it's your money. The Nice Guys and Star Trek: Beyond definitively deserved better fates financially.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Frontloaded like hell. There's no trust in critics. I'm sad. Critics job is to warn people from movie disasters like SS, but people still want to reward these shitty movies. Fanboyism means serious business.

I'm gonna drink some beers and contemplate the current state of humankind. So bad, people, so bad.

It isn't THAT deep.

Nibel

Angry Joe one of these "oh I'm a YouTuber not a journalist or critic, jokes on you xd" guys despite him doing stories and making reviews

Very shocking that a dude with a Superman shirt in every single video of his is a DC stan
wtzgU.gif

My sister and co went to see the movie and came back liking it
she isn't a comic book reader but knows DC stuff from childhood cartoons
idk I have a feeling this will be pleasing (not amazing) for the common folk

duckroll

At least it wasn't as crazy exhausting and depressing as Batman vs. Superman. After sleeping on it, Suicide Squad still feels like a messy meh film, but some people will find something to enjoy in it.

BvS was definitely exhausting and depressing. An oppressive film. Suicide Squad is boring and unpleasant. I feel the mixture of bland tedium and the ugliness of the film makes it so much less of a film.

EGM1966

I mostly agree there. It's only the tent pole blockbusters that seem to get the 'go check it out anyway and make up your own mind' treatment or attention. I'm sure a lot of great smaller films would love to have that kind of support.

That being said, many people have have really enjoyed the marketing and trailers for this one, so they probably should see it to formulate an opinion. If you haven't liked the marketing and are still on the fence, then it's your money. The Nice Guys and Star Trek: Beyond definitively deserved better fates financially.
Yup. Marketing was good. I actually thought they might have something like Deadpool on their hands but alas. The cast and high brand recognition of Joker, etc will help it do okay (at least first weekend) but we'll see how it holds.

It's a peeve of mine great smaller films are just ignored vs blockbusters for the "give it a try" argument but I get the higher profile of a blockbuster forms a different lure.

Funny though: so many dissapointed people judging by this thread who could have invested their time better elsewhere. Including me!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Also, I did like the very small nods to world-building/continuity that were there. They weren't intrustive, didn't feel forced in.

Again, I really liked the movie even acknowledging how the finale/villain was a mess. The characters and performances really carry it for me (this is the main reason I think the movie will have legs)

burgervan

Watched it last night and thought it was a disaster. I went in with low expectations and it ended up being even worse than I thought. Even my friend, who kind of liked BvS, thought it was laughably bad.

It definitely feels like a movie that suffered from a lot of studio tampering and it's too bad because the cast was pretty good in their roles. They deserve better than this mess.

I hear Smith, Robbie, and Davis mentioned as the best actors, but I actually really liked Joel Kinnaman here, too. Dude puts in solid, underrated work, and SS is no exception. He added some humanity to the whole ordeal, even if a lot of it came off as superficial.

Cara Delevingne was solid, too, even though she didn't get to do a whole lot and it didn't always work. The dynamic between Moon/Enchantress really could have been fleshed out more. One of my favorite shots was the
Enchantress hand-hold
transformation. Very cool.

BvS was definitely exhausting and depressing. An oppressive film. Suicide Squad is boring and unpleasant. I feel the mixture of bland tedium and the ugliness of the film makes it so much less of a film.

Yup. BvS at least felt like it had a vision behind it.

tkscz

Frontloaded like hell. There's no trust in critics. I'm sad. Critics job is to warn people from movie disasters like SS, but people still want to reward these shitty movies. Fanboyism means serious business.

I'm gonna drink some beers and contemplate the current state of humankind. So bad, people, so bad.

Dude calm down. I honestly thought it was a fun enjoyable movie worht 11 bucks and so do a lot of the audience who saw it.

I will see this movie the following weekend. I did enjoy the bvs and I love the ost on it which help the viewing even more. I'm disappointed SS doesn't use it's own original score.

Valhelm

contribute something
A lot of the dialogue in this movie was really bad, just in general.

I hated that one scene in the restaurant where every line uses the word "heart". How did dialogue that repetitive make it past the first draft?

Like so many movies, Suicide Squad would have been great with a decent script.

Weetrick

Saw it in IMAX last night with the wife. We both enjoyed it and had a fun time the whole way through.

It was pretty corny at times and the villain plot wasn't my favorite, but I'm not sure why it's getting panned so badly. I generally don't hold superhero movies in as high regards as everyone else though (I skip most of them). *shrugs*

im not being overly dramatic when i say this is one of the worst films i have ever seen. it was unfunny, garbage plot and the acting seemed off. The dialogue was dog shit and the forced emotional scenes had 0 impact.

straight trash. and its safe to say ledger's joker will never EVER be topped. every joker in comparison looks like shit, even jack nicholson.

I will see this movie the following weekend. I did enjoy the bvs and I love the ost on it which help the viewing even more. I'm disappointed SS doesn't use it's own original score.
It does? Unless you mean it's orchestrated score. Its a mix of licensed music, songs created for the film and orchestrated music.
Star Trek is and has always been an outlier. The series just isn't popular with mainstream audiences. Even the 09 film couldn't even crack $400 million.
My dads been watching Star Trek all my life and I've caught quite a few glimpses of it since I was young and I still have no idea what the fuck it's about and I'm sure there are others that feel that way which probably turns a lot of people off. At least with star wars it's common knowledge that it's Jedi against the dude in the scary looking black suit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
im not being overly dramatic when i say this is one of the worst films i have ever seen. it was unfunny, garbage plot and the acting seemed off. The dialogue was dog shit and the forced emotional scenes had 0 impact.

straight trash. and its safe to say ledger's joker will never EVER be topped. every joker in comparison looks like shit, even jack nicholson.

Well, at least we know you are nuanced.

Solidsoul

Banned
I'm usually on board with the general consensus of most films but this was not a bad movie. How can people say it's one of the worst movies they've ever seen?

It's highly flawed and there are many films a hell of a lot better but I'd say at least a 6/10 is fair. It was worth a watch.

I hated this more than BvS. 26% is too high for actor's screen test footage set to random music. They couldn't even put in the effort to make sure none of the songs intersected with a recent superhero movie made of a team of misfits. And the exposition. Oh my god, and I thought the exposition in GOTG was bad.

Despite my feelings about the film, I thought Leto's joker was intriguing. There's some potential there. Could've used a bit less emo however

lying in a circle of various sharp objects
ugh

I dug the look of Quinn and her mannerism in general but man they gave her some of the most insipid lines ive ever heard in film. Everytime she uttered the word pussies was so forced and untimely

Back from round 2

Girlfriend doesn't normally like seeing movies in theaters twice but she was excited to go again
Everyone clapped and hung around after like last time.
Still enjoy the joker
Fuck Rick Flag
SHELL CUT CHU DOWN LIKE SHES.....MOWIN DA LAWN
noticed some more shitty cuts like beers changing hands between characters.
Bats
did have the voice modulator but it was turned down really low so the gaffer who pointed that out was right.

My biggest complaint was the theater I was in this time had shit sound compared to the IMAX version I saw but that's not the movies fault. Definitely took the wind out of Deadshot backstory and Elevator scene with quiet audio.

Still had a great time

kinggroin

Banned
Saw it in IMAX last night with the wife. We both enjoyed it and had a fun time the whole way through.

It was pretty corny at times and the villain plot wasn't my favorite, but I'm not sure why it's getting panned so badly. I generally don't hold superhero movies in as high regards as everyone else though (I skip most of them). *shrugs*

You answered your own question. There are legitimately well done superhero movies that don't need the excuse or apology of, "well it's a superhero movie" to make up for anything.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm usually on board with the general consensus of most films but this was not a bad movie. How can people say it's one of the worst movies they've ever seen?

It's highly flawed and there are many films a hell of a lot better but I'd say at least a 6/10 is fair. It was worth a watch.

I feel like the negative reviews have been a lot more clear in articulating their position vs the positive ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom