• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel like the negative reviews have been a lot more clear in articulating their position vs the positive ones.

Yeah, it's weird to read because so many people around here that say they enjoyed it start off by saying it was corny, flawed, had bad dialogue, dumb plot, or edited badly. Okay, so what was good about it? The costumes? These sound like the hallmarks of a mediocre film. To each their own though.

Anustart

Woof. Movie was fucking boring and pretty damn stupid.

Why was Harley even in the movie? Girl wanting to build a team to help fight meta humans and she picks a normal girl who can swing a bat :/

Glad this was free from Tmobile.

Yeah, it's weird to read because so many people around here that say they enjoyed it start off by saying it was corny, flawed, had bad dialogue, dumb plot, or edited badly. Okay, so what was good about it? The costumes? These sound like the hallmarks of a mediocre film. To each their own though.
Good:
-Characters
-music (though overused)
-style
-premise
-it was fun
-personally never felt bored or like it dragged
-Joker scenes felt tense and I really enjoyed Leto's take
-Will Smith, El Diablo & Margot Robbie's performances
All of the above is enough for me to look past its flaws and enjoy what was there since those things were done very well imo. Maybe you don't feel that way or didn't enjoy the things I or others did and that's why some people like it and some people don't. It's all subjective.

ZoddGutts

I actually laughed out loud when, after about 90 minutes, the movie just randomly cut to her talking to her sword and someone going
"Oh yeah, her husband is in there! Anyway..."

That scene by itself was hilarious since Katana is such a fucking stereotype I couldn't believe it wasn't meant as a parody. A japanese katana weilding swordmaster with a huge Japan flag as a mask who we first see fighting Yakuza, do not see for 90 minutes, then see her one time talking to the soul of her dead husband who is also inside her sword...not that ANY of that matters for the movie. Such a terrible character.

Does anyone even like Katana? I agree that she always looked lame to me. Reminds me when they announced that Batman CG 'Beware of Batman' series, of all the characters they could've used as Batman's partner they went with Katana and people weren't happy with the choice. Of all the Batgirls they could've used instead they went with a lame looking character. I get that they wanted a connection with the league of the assassins and an non white character but they could've gone with Cassandra Cain which is one of the batgirls. Anyways show got cancelled after one season.

shingi70

Banned
Does anyone even like Katana? I agree that she always looked lame to me. Reminds me when they announced that Batman CG 'Beware of Batman' series, of all the characters they could've used as Batman's partner they went with Katana and people weren't happy with the choice. Of all the Batgirls they could've used instead they went with a lame looking character. I get that they wanted a connection with the league of the assassins and an non white character but they could've gone with Cassandra Cain which is one of the batgirls. Anyways show got cancelled after one season.

Katana has always been dope, go read Batman and the Outsiders from Mike Barr. Her relationship with the team and Halo is really good.

DeathyBoy

Banned
im not being overly dramatic when i say this is one of the worst films i have ever seen. it was unfunny, garbage plot and the acting seemed off. The dialogue was dog shit and the forced emotional scenes had 0 impact.

straight trash. and its safe to say ledger's joker will never EVER be topped. every joker in comparison looks like shit, even jack nicholson.

Okay can we set up a "worst films" thread please because this is ridiculous at this point. People need actual education on bad Cinema.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I have said the characters and performances carried it for me and made it fun. The finale/main villain were misses, which I mentioned as well. I never said it was corny etc. The cast is a foundation for a great film and I hope we see a Squad 2 for sure with a smaller-scale heist type plot (and also have them make solo appearances in other films, like Deadshot in Gotham for example).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have said the characters and performances carried it for me and made it fun. The finale/main villain were misses, which I mentioned as well. I never said it was corny etc. The cast is a foundation for a great film and I hope we see a Squad 2 for sure with a smaller-scale heist type plot (and also have them make solo appearances in other films, like Deadshot in Gotham for example).

I didn't claim you said it was corny, other people have. It's just an observation I made from looking at what other people who have enjoyed the movie in this thread have mentioned and qualified their mini reviews with. If I wanted to say you specifically said something, I would have quoted you directly. Back back, homie.

What I find kind of funny is how immediately after BvS, one of the more ambitious CBMs in recent memory separating itself entirely from Marvel's brand of superhero movie, is released, WB sees fit to follow up with a CBM that commits nearly every shortcoming DC fans criticise MCU films for.

Shit villain? Check!
CGI-laden, nonsensical, mindless third act? Check!
Lack of stakes? Check!
Forced, in-your-face humor? Check!

BLACKLAC

What I find kind of funny is how immediately after BvS, one of the more ambitious CBMs in recent memory separating itself entirely from Marvel's brand of superhero movie, is released, WB sees fit to follow up with a CBM that commits nearly every shortcoming DC fans criticise MCU films for.

Shit villain? Check!
Lack of stakes? Check!

But it has my DC action figures characters....

Marvel needs to get on that Thunderbolts movie for phase 4. Show them how it's done... again.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Shit villain? Check!
Lack of stakes? Check!
At least we have an argument for the next bash-fest then.

Shit villain? Check!
Lack of stakes? Check!

Obviously it was just a 4D chess move by WB to make a bad Marvel movie to prove once and for all that critics are biased against their movies

BlizzKrut

Banned

Shit villain? Check!
Lack of stakes? Check!

Enchantress
may have been a shit villain but it's still better than what the MCU has pulled so far.

Ok, so here is my feeling. The movie IS NOT BVS BAD. IT DOES NOT DESERVE 36% ON RT. It is corny but there is SOOOO MUCH FAN SERVICE

Love Harley's Character
Deadshot was dead on
Rope guy well
Captain Boomerang simply the best

The others are good as well. Where I feel the story fell short was the actual incident. Most of the movie was faslhbacks. Also Leto's Joker fell kind of flat.

If I have to give this movie a score it would be a 6.5 - 7.0

Saying Enchantress is better than Loki or Zemo, or even Alexander Pierce or Obadiah Stane is how I know never to take your opinion seriously again.
It's not like any of those are good either and Loki is carried by Hiddleston's performance. Zeno is alright but he's not great, just better than the others because he has a decent reason to be upset.
Pffff. That honestly might be lower than Malekith tier (no one lower in the MCU).
She's definitely cooler than Malekith if simply only for visuals and performance. I don't even really remember why Malekith was in that movie or what he planned to do.

BlizzKrut

Banned

Abomination - It's bad Hulk.

Loki - It's good but never does something out of this world.

Red Skull - Who?

GotG Villain - ^

Ultron - He had so much potential, such a shame that he was turned into a joke.

Ant-Man VIllain - He didn't really come off as a villain to me, just "bad corporate guy".

Thanos has potential but he's just been teased, in my opinion, the only redeeming quality in Marvel villains is the entire Spiderman's Rogue Gallery, which is up there with Batman's.

Timu

Ok, so here is my feeling. The movie IS NOT BVS BAD. IT DOES NOT DESERVE 36% ON RT. It is corny but there is SOOOO MUCH FAN SERVICE

Love Harley's Character
Deadshot was dead on
Rope guy well
Captain Boomerang simply the best

The others are good as well. Where I feel the story fell short was the actual incident. Most of the movie was faslhbacks. Also Leto's Joker fell kind of flat.

If I have to give this movie a score it would be a 6.5 - 7.0
It's 26 actually.

BLACKLAC

captain-america-civil-war-danieul-bruhl-zemo.jpg

Red Skull - Who?

GotG Villain - ^

Ant-Man VIllain - He didn't really come off as a villain to me, just "bad corporate guy".

All of them leagues better and with more motivation than Enchantress. The fact that you can't even muster up why she is better than them more or less proves my point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Red Skull - Who?

GotG Villain - ^

Thanos has potential but he's just been teased, in my opinion, the only redeeming quality in Marvel villains is the entire Spiderman's Rogue Gallery, which is up there with Batman's.
Zemo? Alexander Pierce?

It is shitty.
She even makes mindless drones, so when she dies, they all do, as well.
But Marvel is worse because we have a Meme regarding their Villains.

Fantomex

It's not like any of those are good either and Loki is carried by Hiddleston's performance. Zeno is alright but he's not great, just better than the others because he has a decent reason to be upset.

So what you're telling me is that Loki is only a good villain because the actor hired to portrayed him does too good of a job in portraying him?

570Kp6r.gif

What dimension are you typing this from?

Red Skull - Who?

GotG Villain - ^

So how is
the Enchantress
better than them?

It's funny all these big budget superhero movies and Kingpin, purple man, and reverse flash are better than most of them.

That's mostly because TV shows can take the time to build those characters up

I'd make the argument that Reverse Flash is better than the first two tbh

So what you're telling me is that Loki is only a good villain because the actor hired to portrayed him does too good of a job in portraying him?

ixuZXMCEHE2Su.gif

What dimension are you typing this from?
I'm saying the only good thing about Loki existing is the actors performance and charm, not the character itself, his motivations or anything. Just because Tom Hiddleston is entertaining to watch.
I...never said they were?
Sorry, just seemed like you framed it that way.

I still think it's funny that with all of the cosmic villains, the two people that got the closest to fucking up everything were:

Some old guy
and some flop from Sokovia

Regular Dudes, Wrecking Your Shit

If this is the worst movie some of you have ever seen, you're lucky bastards. It's a 5.5-6/10 movie, nothing offensive, nothing great.

Stop trying to be apart of the hivemind. Makes you look a bit ridiculous. It's fine to dislike the movie, hell, hate it if you do, but objectively speaking, it's technically competent and far from being deserving of the shit like 'Worst experience I ever had viewing a film in my entire life."

Fantomex

I'm saying the only good thing about Loki existing is the actors performance and charm, not the character itself, his motivations or anything. Just because Tom Hiddleston is entertaining to watch.

Sorry, just seemed like you framed it that way.

But by that same logic every single character minus Rocket on GOTG are also crappy characters but they pumped out a pretty good movie. Something that DC tried to do with SS but failed to execute miserably. So any way you look at it, whether the character is crappy or the actor is crappy doesn't really help you make any point in the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom