• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just came back and the movie was...................surprisingly great!

The first 15mns or so were pretty weird- having same problems as BvS. Which means weird editing, random cuts, non-sense/corny dialogues.
But then, it somehow found its groove and turned itself around. After first 15mns to last 10mns, its really good. The villain isnt great but it just flows. There are some really great scenes which become amazing with the background (which is excellent throughout). It honestly didnt deserve the kind of reviews it got. Its much better. Better than a lot of Marvel movies (and both BvS/MoS).

Edit:
hahahaha the rope guy. Everyone in the theatre as like- who the hell is this guy? what are his powers? Because of the hype on GAF, it was just amazing to see him go that fast. hahahaha amazing

I said "may be" as in a reply to your comment saying she's one.

What the heck are you talking about LMAO

"Enchantress may have been a shit villain but she's better than anything the MCU has done"

You admitted she's crap, then

"Loki - he's good, but blah blah out of this world nonsense blah blah"

Take the L bud

Because reasons??? Something about people not worshiping her anymore.
That's literally it. We're never given anything else

She doesn't want to destroy the world,
she wants to rule it. She's using th machines to destroy the armies of the world.

Not spectacular as far as plans go, but it at least makes a level of sense.
She once ruled the world with her brother, was betrayed, and wants to do it again.

And to address another common complaint that I see thrown out:
The squad wasn't sent in to take her out, that was never their mission. The only mission they had was to rescue Waller. Of course this does make me wonder where Batman and Wonder Woman were, in regards to the main baddie, but that's always an issue in shared universe movies.

ryan299

Waller is more the villain for the Squad than Enchantress. Having said that, Enchantress and her hula dance were terrible.

BlizzKrut

Banned
What the heck are you talking about LMAO

"Enchantress may have been a shit villain but she's better than anything the MCU has done"

You admitted she's crap, then

"Loki - he's good, but blah blah out of this world nonsense blah blah"

Take the L bud

Dude chill, this isn't a competition, I just said that in my opinion
Enchantress
is better than what Marvel has pulled so far in terms of villains, if you don't agree that's fine.

But by that same logic every single character minus Rocket on GOTG are also crappy characters but they pumped out a pretty good movie. Something that DC tried to do with SS but failed to execute miserably. So any way you look at it, whether the character is crappy or the actor is crappy doesn't really help you make any point in the discussion.
These are some extreme mental gymnastics. I don't consider any of the characters or main characters in any of the marvel movies to be poorly written albeit boring, their motivations make sense and its their actors that generally elevate okay characters to great ones. I feel like Loki is a shit character in the MCU with a great actor and I don't care about any part of Loki or his motivations because I think he's a dumb villain I just like seeing Tom act. I'm not sure what discussion you're even attempting to have or what point you're arguing, it just looks like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

She doesn't want to destroy the world,
she wants to rule it. She's using th machines to destroy the armies of the world.

Not spectacular as far as plans go, but it at least makes a level of sense.
She once ruled the world with her brother, was betrayed, and wants to do it again.

And to address another common complaint that I see thrown out:
The squad wasn't sent in to take her out, that was never their mission. The only mission they had was to rescue Waller. Of course this does make me wonder where Batman and Wonder Woman were, in regards to the main baddie, but that's always an issue in shared universe movies.

It just never feels earned to me. We never learn enough about her beforehand. Had they had maybe had a scene of exposition and talked about June's findings in her tomb and saw cave drawings and talked about her in ancient history like Apocalypse then maybe. But she kinda just says it and then stuff happens.

Yes there's a lot of shit villains in the MCU and Enchantress is also shit

You guys are taking two separate dumps in the same toilet and trying to decide which one is more revolting

Got home a little bit ago. Would give it a 6-6.5 out of 10.

Really dug Will Smith and Margot Robbie. Not enough screen time of Leto, so I don't really have an opinion.

Felt Croc was under utilized.

Thought introduction transition to world saving was way too abrupt.

Don't think it deserved the shit it got over all IMO.

Angry Joe one of these "oh I'm a YouTuber not a journalist or critic, jokes on you xd" guys despite him doing stories and making reviews

Very shocking that a dude with a Superman shirt in every single video of his is a DC stan
wtzgU.gif

He criticized heavily BvS and the JL trailer. But keep making shit posts, just because people like different movies than you. Seriously, you sound so insecure, fanboyish and childish.

Caffeine

I really enjoyed it very funny, the entire theater laughed throughout. way better than batman v superman ultimate cut.

Dude chill, this isn't a competition, I just said that in my opinion
Enchantress
is better than what Marvel has pulled so far in terms of villains, if you don't agree that's fine.

Ik, then I pointed out how you contradicted yourself in back-to-back posts lmfao

You're sticking by this paradoxical stance for whatever reason, but moving on

Lemaitre

Banned
If this is the worst movie some of you have ever seen, you're lucky bastards. It's a 5.5-6/10 movie, nothing offensive, nothing great.

Stop trying to be apart of the hivemind. Makes you look a bit ridiculous. It's fine to dislike the movie, hell, hate it if you do, but objectively speaking, it's technically competent and far from being deserving of the shit like 'Worst experience I ever had viewing a film in my entire life."

Pretty much. I'd give it a 6/10 myself. The worse thing I can say about the film is that it drags a lot in some places. But meh doesn't equal what some people are equating it with.

No? The last pages are full of open spoilers.
I'm not seeing it, at least on this page and the previous. Maybe you're taking hypothetical things as spoilers but everything that happened in the movie was spoiler tagged. I'm only seeing impressions, but honestly if you're really that concerned it's probably time to abandon thread since this page is now 150 pages you won't convince everyone to be more mindful.
The one about the villain
It's in the trailers...

hemo memo

Gold Member
Really good enjoyable movie. It's like critics watched another movie.

Yeah story is bad but everything else ranging from good to excellent.

Great movie overall.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's on the bad side of decent. It's better than BvS for sure and I think there is a good side of a decent flick hidden underneath some terrible editing.

The first half might as well of been a giant music video of popular songs.

How can a movie be great, but the story is bad?
Because there's more to a movie than the story? It's like a million different moving parts and the story is something that gives those moving parts direction. Not every movie is story heavy or has a good story and there are plenty of movies with weak stories that can be considered great movies. Like Pulp Fiction.

Def will wait for the directors cut but fuck this movie is sloppy as fuck

It's like WB listened to videogame companies that release broken as games that have the potential to get fixed later via patch (in this case a directors cut blu-ray) *looks at Capcom*

No it´s fucking not.
Enchantress is never with the team, theres a thumbnail on some of the YouTube trailers with the Enchantress in her second form looking particularly evil.
also yeah, why are you so angry. Honestly when a new movie comes out I really want to see i generally avoid getting deep into any threads about it till I've seen it.

Hagi

I liked it. Leto Joker was pretty damn cool, I wasn't really sure until a particular scene but yup I'm down with this version. There is indeed a lot of stupid shit in the film, bad pacing and bad editing especially. There's a sequence with the Enchantress that is one of the worst edited scenes in a movie I can recall but all in all I enjoyed it in spite of itself.

I wouldn't mind a sequel where the director/studio/editor didn't take a hammer to it a month before release.

Because there's more to a movie than the story? It's like a million different moving parts and the story is something that gives those moving parts direction.

And with a bad story, the entire movie suffers. The story is slow, characters are crap, and the action is hollow. It's not even a case of style over substance. It's just glazed shit.

And with a bad story, the entire movie suffers. The story is slow, characters are crap, and the action is hollow. It's not even a case of style over substance. It's just glazed shit.
See now your opinion of those things is subjective and clearly very divisive. You didn't like those things and many others didn't, but I did and so did many others. I'll admit that the story and editing are objectively poor but everything else is down to preference so I'm not going to argue with you about it. Let's just agree to disagree and move on from there.

pestul

You know all these it was good but it has its problems 5.5-6/10 reviews.. if I could read my own review from the future and I decided it was a 5.5/10.. I wouldn't see it. There's not enough time in this life to be wasting it on 6/10 or lower anything. But then I'd create a time paradox and destroy my future self from existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom