• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Um no there's a difference between Batman's grappling hook and Katana's sword
They mentioned the sword and its ability twice implying that it would be important later. Nobody points out Batman's grappling hook or gives it a backstory like the soul of her husband is inside of it like the sword. There isn't a "that grappling hook belonged to Batman's father" line in Batman making it important.

Katana' sword cut through magical limbs and skin. There's pay off.

BroBot

OFUAnar.gif

LOL there should really be a thread compilation for these.

duckroll

Katana' sword cut through magical limbs and skin. There's pay off.

What? That's not what narrative pay off is. These same "magical" limbs and skin were being destroyed by Harley's bat, Killer Croc's bare hands, and.... a generic bomb. There is literally zero reason to introduce Katana as a mystic character with a magic sword that can "absorb souls" or whatever. It's just clutter that leads to nothing. In a film already over-cluttered with details and characters which don't matter, while lacking a cohesive focus on anything which matters.

DeathyBoy

Banned
What? That's not what narrative pay off is. These same "magical" limbs and skin were being destroyed by Harley's bat, Killer Croc's bare hands, and.... a generic bomb. There is literally zero reason to introduce Katana as a mystic character with a magic sword that can "absorb souls" or whatever. It's just clutter that leads to nothing. In a film already over-cluttered with details and characters which don't matter, while lacking a cohesive focus on anything which matters.

Uh, okay..,

The only weapon that worked on Incubus and Enchantress was her sword.

Could've happily used more Katana and less Joker, but Joker gets people into the cinema.

kinggroin

Banned
"Film critics showed up to see a film, not validate their obsession with a fucking action figure."

oh lawd

While he does sound like an angry elitist film reviewer, the rest of his video is spot-fucking-on.

He doesn't even begrudge those enjoying it just because, but his criticisms are no less valid either.

shingi70

Banned

Actually that posters isn't talking about the goons,but her blade is the only one that had an effect on the two big bads to the
point that Harley uses it to cut out the Witches heart.

Kathian

Banned
The funny thing is that the GOTG characters barely knew each other either, and people were fine with them deciding they were a family.

Like I get GOTG's popularity and it's a film I enjoy a lot, but it's full of just as many "go with it" moments. The entire superhero film genre is comprised of characters suddenly being in love or being best friends with minimal set up, or in Civil War's case we're told Cap and Tony are friends turned adversaries after two Avengers films where they barely got on at all.

This is why directors are a huge asset in films. Films have to squeeze a lot into a short space. In Civil War we get a lot of focus on how torn and betrayed Tony was at what was going on. That sells it to the audience. Directors need to utilise Actors to sell these things.

duckroll

Uh, okay..,

The only weapon that worked on Incubus and Enchantress was her sword.

Could've happily used more Katana and less Joker, but Joker gets people into the cinema.

You mean the same Incubus who can regenerate any limb which is cut, but was killed by.... some bomb?

Lol. Sorry but nothing in the film felt like it was written with much thought at all.

This film was seriously terrible. From acting, tone, wring, characters, music placement and definitely editing. My opinion of Ghostbusters has actually gone up just slightly, at least they knew how to edit a fricking movie.
Seriously why do scenes have a song playing over the dialogue making it hard to hear the characters.
Will Smith is not Deadshot he's just Will Smith.
I suffered through two bad Joker films this year With this and The Killing Joke which I honestly have no idea how they messed up.
Why include so many scenes in the trailer to not include them in the movie. I know this happens but I have never seen this amount before ever.
Half the characters didn't need to be on the squad and are just their to sell merch.
They're bad guys so show us the bad things they do.
I could seriously write paragraphs on everything in this film.
Please Wonder Woman and Justice League. Just be average films with average writing and editing. No need to be something really big and have it blow up in your face. I still have a some hope for the future.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
For all of its issues, Star Trek Beyond is great about that.

It really is. Even the moments that could have simply been used for levity actually had some relevance. Tightly written script. Suicide Squad was written in haste and it shows. I know fans are quick to blame the studio but if you're working off a mediocre script, you're probably going to get a mediocre movie.

Schlorgan

It really is. Even the moments that could have simply been used for levity actually had some relevance. Tightly written script. Suicide Squad was written in haste and it shows. I know fans are quick to blame the studio but if you're working off a mediocre script, you're probably going to get a mediocre movie.

According to an interview with Lin, he was called to direct the film six weeks before shooting was to begin and they didn't have a script yet. Simon Pegg is a very talented screenwriter.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Having had time to reflect after last night's showing:

Waller, Harley and El Diablo carry this movie. Which is saying something cos they all had to work with some painful dialogue, but made that work the best they could regardless.

Captain Boomerang could have been cut out of this movie entirely and it wouldn't have affected anything
besides a reason to show the Flash cameo.

I stand by Leto's Joker being merely OKAY. Could have done with more screentime.

It was still a fun movie to watch. Finally, this is definitely better than Fantastic Four, seriously people.

is anyone other than a couple of random critics really contesting that its better than F4, I mean that thing has a 11% for a reason lmao

Honestly I enjoyed the movie and am going to see it again at 10:45 and want it to do well. But you kinda seem more on the side that you don't want to see it even at $7.50
There is a plethora of reviews in this thread from gaffers with majority swinging towards they like it. Typing it into Twitter will show you the same results.
If that's not enough to convince you to go at a matinee price for a couple of hours I would honestly just say save your money.

I on the other hand had a ton of fun.

SilentRob

Saying katana sword didn't have a payoff is like saying Batman's grappling hook didn't have one. It's her weapon.

Also everything I mentioned did go somewhere.

I actually laughed out loud when, after about 90 minutes, the movie just randomly cut to her talking to her sword and someone going
"Oh yeah, her husband is in there! Anyway..."

That scene by itself was hilarious since Katana is such a fucking stereotype I couldn't believe it wasn't meant as a parody. A japanese katana weilding swordmaster with a huge Japan flag as a mask who we first see fighting Yakuza, do not see for 90 minutes, then see her one time talking to the soul of her dead husband who is also inside her sword...not that ANY of that matters for the movie. Such a terrible character.

Honestly I enjoyed the movie and am going to see it again at 10:45 and want it to do well. But you kinda seem more on the side that you don't want to see it even at $7.50
There is a plethora of reviews in this thread from gaffers with majority swinging towards they like it. Typing it into Twitter will show you the same results.
If that's not enough to convince you to go at a matinee price for a couple of hours I would honestly just say save your money.

usually if most people say it's even just 'okay', I'd be down to check it out. Did it for Jurassic World

this tho, I been counting approximately half the people in this thread saying it's like, so bad, and the other saying it's fun/decent

Literally torn apart here, audience-wise, this is pretty damn divisive

Orcastar

Dat confirmation bias.

usually if most people say it's even just 'okay', I'd be down to check it out. Did it for Jurassic World

this tho, I been counting approximately half the people in this thread saying it's like, so bad, and the other saying it's fun/decent

Literally torn apart here

I would say go. It's mindless fun. Your ticket price is a meal at McDonald's lol. Just don't take it so seriously. its not straight up offensive like F4ntastic. It's a safe comic movie and I think that's why it got bad reviews reguardless of what the critics say.
Most people seem to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10
I'm crazy so it's a 9 for me.
Just seeing Deadshot, Harley, Waller, and Joker be portrayed so well is getting my ass back in a seat.

tkscz

Enjoyed the movie way more than I thought I would. Not even sure how this movie is being compared to Fantastic Four. Easy to follow, lovable characters, great action. Sure, the villain was pretty weak and I do wish they had a more focused mission, but what I got was still a damned good movie. I'd see it again if I had the money. Also, didn't expect to leave the movie liking killer croc

Most people seem to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

This. Everyone left the theater I was in either loved it, or thought it was ok. I could hear people talking about the reviews and not agreeing with them (hate waiting on friends to get out of the bathroom).

I actually laughed out loud when, after about 90 minutes, the movie just randomly cut to her talking to her sword and someone going
"Oh yeah, her husband is in there! Anyway..."

That scene by itself was hilarious since Katana is such a fucking stereotype I couldn't believe it wasn't meant as a parody. A japanese katana weilding swordmaster, named KATANA, with a huge Japan flag as a mask who we first see fighting Yakuza, do not see for 90 minutes, then see her one time talking to the soul of her dead husband who is also inside her sword...not that ANY of that matters for the movie. Such a terrible character.

i added to your awesome ether a bit : D

it's like naming a rapier wielding swordmaster RAPIER lol

I would say go. It's mindless fun. Your ticket price is a meal at McDonald's lol. Just don't take it so seriously. its not straight up offensive like F4ntastic. It's a safe comic movie and I think that's why it got bad reviews reguardless of what the critics say.
Most people seem to give it a 7 or 8 out of 10
I'm crazy so it's a 9 for me.
Just seeing Deadshot, Harley, Waller, and Joker be portrayed so well is getting my ass back in a seat.

bro if you're spending $7.50 at McDonald's you're doing it wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom